HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Guyf's around the game notes. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=20476)

Guy Flaming 10-17-2003 12:27 AM

Guyf's around the game notes.

- In the media scrum following Thursday night's game, MacT said Conklin would get a start in one of the next three games (Colorado, St. Louis, Colorado).

- My gut tells me that Stoll and Semenov will also get into action very soon but that I didn't hear from anyone else.

- I chatted with Stoll between both periods a bit while we watched the ball game (Yankees fan by the way... Stoll, not me). Semenov did not sit up on the press catwalk with Stoll for some reason.

- Bob McCammond, former Oiler assistant coach and current scout for the Detroit Red Wings was in attendance.

- Not sure if the players get to rotate on who brings their kids to the games but... earlier this season, maybe preseason, Ethan Moreau's kids were in the dressing room and Thursday it was Scott Ferguson's tykes. It's neat to see the family side to these guys too.

- After the game most of the players disappeared really quick into the players lounge so that they could catch the end of the baseball game. It was tied and going into extra innings when the Oil game ended.

- Game 1's entrance song was "Ready to Roll" by Flashlight Brown. Game 2 was a song by Danko Jones. I met the guy who is in charge of selecting songs and he wants me to poll the readers for some input. I will start a new thread for that so don't fill this one up with song requests.

- The long video review was a hot topic on media row. Most felt the puck was in but EVERYONE agreed that the ref blew it by not giving a penalty shot to Edmonton for the Sabres player closing his hand on the puck and clearing it from the goal line.

GuyF

HarryStrand 10-17-2003 06:04 AM

As always, thank you for those great little extra insights, Guy.

Does the Video Judge in Edmonton have the best possible video equipment available to review disputed goals? On television, it looked like the puck probably did completely cross the goal line, but the glove plus the angle of the camera shots we saw could leave just a very, very tiny amount of wriggle room to make the "inconclusive" judgement.

I also thought that Buffalo got the benefit of the doubt with no penalty shot being called. While a player can redirect the puck with his hand and glove, I thought the Buffalo player could have been called for closing his hand around the puck.

dawgbone 10-17-2003 06:16 AM

But that isn't part of the criteria of video replay. The guy upstairs can't make that call (on a penalty shot).

With that much commotion in front of the net, I don't think either ref saw it.

thome_26 10-17-2003 06:53 AM

See I wish they had a small T.V. in the penalty box, then that way when they have to review a play the ref can see that himself and make that call...it would also take less time - because all the Ref would have to do is say go to angle A, or B, or C, etc. and forward/rewind at his will to see it himself.

HarryStrand 10-17-2003 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
But that isn't part of the criteria of video replay. The guy upstairs can't make that call (on a penalty shot).

With that much commotion in front of the net, I don't think either ref saw it.

That is true, of course. I just meant that, had the referees been able to see the play clearly, the actions of the Buffalo player were oh-so-close to being worthy of a penalty shot. I've seen other similar plays result in a penalty shot being called.

dawgbone 10-17-2003 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryStrand
That is true, of course. I just meant that, had the referees been able to see the play clearly, the actions of the Buffalo player were oh-so-close to being worthy of a penalty shot. I've seen other similar plays result in a penalty shot being called.

Gotcha... I see what you meant.

Yeah, looked like a P.S. to me, but in the end it worked out. The Oilers showed some good determination in not letting that get them down, which was really nice to see.

LawnDemon 10-17-2003 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
See I wish they had a small T.V. in the penalty box, then that way when they have to review a play the ref can see that himself and make that call...it would also take less time - because all the Ref would have to do is say go to angle A, or B, or C, etc. and forward/rewind at his will to see it himself.

that makes too much sense.

unfortunately, good ideas seem to go by the wayside while the league busies itself with improvements like the instigator rule, no touch-back offsides, moving the net, extra refs, etc...

oildrop 10-17-2003 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyF
-

- Bob McCammond, former Oiler assistant coach and current scout for the Detroit Red Wings was in attendance.

GuyF

Maybe there is a bit of truth to the Comrie to Red Wings Rumours?? It will be interesting to see what happens with Comrie and when it is going to get done. I hope it gets done soon so we don't have to speculate.

copperaddict 10-17-2003 09:54 AM

I don't see the reason for the goal judges anymore! It seems like a waste of money even though it would be a great job to have. All they have to do is flick a switch and if the play is questinable it is reviewed up stairs and the refs don't ask the goal judge anymore on close calls. Every dollar the Oil save helps, but this is an NHL issue and they have enough stuff to fix.

FacelessButcher 10-17-2003 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oildrop
Maybe there is a bit of truth to the Comrie to Red Wings Rumours?? It will be interesting to see what happens with Comrie and when it is going to get done. I hope it gets done soon so we don't have to speculate.

Scouts are always around if he comes to the next 2-3 Oiler games then I would wonder, but since Comrie is out they would not need to send a scout who would they have their eye on?

Guy Flaming 10-17-2003 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Scouts are always around if he comes to the next 2-3 Oiler games then I would wonder, but since Comrie is out they would not need to send a scout who would they have their eye on?

It's the first game this year that McCammond has been to in Edmonton. That's why I mentioned it. I don't recognize all the scouts yet but there are NOT 29 scouts (one from each team) at every game.

There is a section on the catwalk for the visiting scouts to sit in. Ususally there are about 5 there. Ron Low, because he lives here, is pretty much a regular (although he wasn't there last night). The twin Sutters were there I'm sure scouting the Sabres for CGY. They were there on opening night against San Jose too. (Hmmm, only Ron Sutter is listed as a Flames scout... anyone know why Rich Sutter is tagging along so much? Who's he with if not CGY?)

oilswell 10-18-2003 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyF
anyone know why Rich Sutter is tagging along so much? Who's he with if not CGY?)

Rich used to be scouting for Minnesota, I understand.

oilswell 10-18-2003 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperaddict
I don't see the reason for the goal judges anymore! It seems like a waste of money

A goal disallowed could be the difference between being in the playoffs and out of the playoffs. It would probably be a very tough call to decide to get rid of them. I don't think these staff pull THAT much money to do the games.

Dr_Gonz0 10-18-2003 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oildrop

Maybe that is why Cross is getting so much icetime. Hopefully he gets packed along with Comrie for something off of the following list:

-Dandenault
-Fisher
-Datsuyk
-Zetterburg
-picks

One can always dream anyways :D

Tarkus 10-18-2003 08:10 AM

Forget Fischer. With Hillbilly Hatcher out for the next few months, DET will be loath to part with any of their D.