HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings/Oilers Post Game Thoughts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=204776)

Rob Stauber* 12-23-2005 10:53 PM

Kings/Oilers Post Game Thoughts
 
What a horrible game to watch. There were so many penalties and sadly, alot of them were deserved. Conroy & Hemskey got the awards for stupidest penalties.

This was a game, going in, which I didn't expect to win. I'm not really surprised at the result. We played a very, very good team. But the way we lost, was agitating.

I wanna make it clear right off the bat that we did not deserve to win (not that the Oilers did). However, the Ales Hemsky goal was clearly not a goal. There's a reason why Hemsky was shaking his head when he skated back to the bench. The rule states there must be a "distinct kicking motion." Although Hemsky did angle his skate, which is fine, he did make a slight kicking motion with it. Which means its not a goal.

The second thing that irritated me was the high stick to Avery off the draw late in the third. What was even worse, was the camera was zoomed into the faceoff when it happened. Not that our PP is any good, but that was a clear high stick.

Speaking of the Power Play. I know people jokingly say, "Decline It." My question is, if anybody knows, can we really declined a penalty ? I'm serious when I ask this because our PP is basically a waste of 2 minutes. I really don't know what else to say. Its been said over and over again. Tonite was another low. Our special teams have directly cost us at least 5 games off the top of my head. Its sad to think what our record would be if we had even an average power play.

Garon was average tonite. He made some nice saves. That first goal was his. That was a fat rebound. The second, even though on a 5-3, was a in clear sight. The third goal was not his fault. The fourth, of course, was not even a real goal.

Luc is useless.....

Giulano & Demitra were our best players.

Corvo looks better every game.

We got a couple days off. Lets recoup and get Belanger/Miller back. Big game on the 26th versus SJ @ home. Garon better get the start.

Scottkmlps 12-23-2005 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
The second thing that irritated me was the high stick to Avery off the draw late in the third. What was even worse, was the camera was zoomed into the faceoff when it happened. Not that our PP is any good, but that was a clear high stick.

That was a total B.S. missed call. They were calling high sticking all night, must've been 5 high sticking calls, and they just happen to miss the one on Avery? How can you miss a high stick right at the face off. The refs watch the play where the puck is, and the puck was right there. Give me a f'ing break.
That hooking call on Camm in the 3rd was also pathetic. He lifted the players stick, and that's hooking? The refs were pathetic in this game. They wanted to have control of this game and they did that and took away all flow to the game.

Rob Stauber* 12-23-2005 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottkmlps
That was a total B.S. missed call. They were calling high sticking all night, must've been 5 high sticking calls, and they just happen to miss the one on Avery? How can you miss a high stick right at the face off. The refs watch the play where the puck is, and the puck was right there. Give me a f'ing break.
That hooking call on Camm in the 3rd was also pathetic. He lifted the players stick, and that's hooking? The refs were pathetic in this game. They wanted to have control of this game and they did that and took away all flow to the game.


I agree. I mean, the Oilers were getting some bad calls against them too.

My only problem is, how the HELL do you not call a high stick ? Its not like it was behind the play or something. Especially since they had been calling the high sticks all game long. Disgusting.


And that hermaphrodite Peter Loubardious needs to stick to the CHL. He was insinuating that Garon intentionally high-sticked Smyth. What a mine league cornball.

OilerMcLord 12-23-2005 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
Although Hemsky did angle his skate, which is fine, he did make a slight kicking motion with it. Which means its not a goal.

Actually; he didn't; but why let facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant. Right? :shakehead

Good game tonight, and best of luck to the Kings for the rest of the season. :clap:

Rob Stauber* 12-23-2005 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerLord
Actually; he didn't; but why let facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant. Right? :shakehead

Good game tonight, and best of luck to the Kings for the rest of the season. :clap:


Fact ? Yea, nice try pal.

Ales Hemskey knew he got away with the perfect crime. Either that or he doesnt like scoring goals because he had a guilty reaction after the goal.

By the way, I don't wish you any luck.

momentai 12-23-2005 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
Ales Hemskey knew he got away with the perfect crime. Either that or he doesnt like scoring goals because he had a guilty reaction after the goal.

Well, I don't know how many goals Ales Hemsky has ever scored with his foot knowingly. I'd hardly call that an admission of guilt in terms of kicking the puck in. Wouldn't you say it is as likely he thought it was a no-goal because he angled the puck into the net?

Looking at the replays, IMO, Hemsky may have moved his skate but it was stationary as the puck made contact. Besides, the play went upstairs... and no doubt the league offices were involved in the evaluation of the goal. They thought it was a goal so I can live with it as an Oiler fan. Either way, it's a tough way to lose for a King fan.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Rob Stauber* 12-23-2005 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momentai
Well, I don't know how many goals Ales Hemsky has ever scored with his foot knowingly. I'd hardly call that an admission of guilt in terms of kicking the puck in. Wouldn't you say it is as likely he thought it was a no-goal because he angled the puck into the net?

Looking at the replays, IMO, Hemsky may have moved his skate but it was stationary as the puck made contact. Besides, the play went upstairs... and no doubt the league offices were involved in the evaluation of the goal. They thought it was a goal so I can live with it as an Oiler fan. Either way, it's a tough way to lose for a King fan.

Merry Christmas everyone!



I've said my piece about already. Im already looking to Monday versus SJ.

braincramp 12-23-2005 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
. . . However, the Ales Hemsky goal was clearly not a goal. There's a reason why Hemsky was shaking his head when he skated back to the bench. The rule states there must be a "distinct kicking motion." Although Hemsky did angle his skate, which is fine, he did make a slight kicking motion with it. Which means its not a goal. . .

I looked very hard at the goal and the replays, including using my own slo-mo on Tivo. I didn't see any kicking motion. I did see the deflection occur off the skate of a player who was moving toward the puck at the time.

We can all have our opinions, but I think if all the replays and angles show no or so little evidence of a distinct kicking motion, it is unreasonable to expect an official to have some unexplained super power to see something there.

Almost as unreasonable as expecting a fan to read a player's mind based on a head shake.

TubbyTerrion* 12-24-2005 12:41 AM

I had no problem with Hemsky's goal. I have a problem with Jim Fox analyzing and over-analyzing everything with his sing-song delivery, though :)

Bryanbryoil 12-24-2005 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I had no problem with Hemsky's goal. I have a problem with Jim Fox analyzing and over-analyzing everything with his sing-song delivery, though :)

Agreed, same with the Peca hit, he throws out every possible scenario just to cover himself from looking like and idiot, but he does a pretty good job of that anyhow!!!

Ziggy Stardust 12-24-2005 01:28 AM

Yeah we don't need to overanalyze this game. Just look at it this way. With the Kings going 0-12 on the PP, they deserve to lose. The Oilers were able to muster 3 PP goals out of the same amount of powerplays. As a matter of fact, the Oilers spent less allotted time on their PP (14:40) compared to the Kings (17:02).

I find it pretty damn funny that the only answer they can come up with for their porous powerplay is that they keep practicing it. I'm sure there is a slight difference when you practice the powerplay against teammates, especially when most of the penalty killers also play on the top two PP units.

Osprey 12-24-2005 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
Garon was average tonite. He made some nice saves. That first goal was his. That was a fat rebound. The second, even though on a 5-3, was a in clear sight.

Absolutely disagree. The first goal was on a 2nd attempt by a completely free Jared Stoll at the crease. Garon made the first stop. It was the responsibility of a skater to deny him a second shot, not of Garon to make that, as well. Stoll was completely alone because Visnovsky went up past the hash marks and got burned, and Norstrom was off doing who knows what. Frolov was the only guy helping out Garon by playing defenseman, and he had his own man to tie up; Stoll was completely alone. You don't blame the goaltender for a 2nd attempt and you certainly don't blame him when the opponent is all alone and practically in the crease. Garon did the best that could be expected.

On the 2nd goal, it was Chris Pronger who blasted the puck. I think that that's all that needs to be said.

Garon was his usual excellent self, IMO. He looked just as solid as he has for weeks. The only blemish was that dumb high-sticking penalty near the end of the game, but, goaltending-wise, he was very solid.

As for the game-winning goal, all that Hemsky's "guilty" head shaking says to me is that he was as confused about what constitutes a goal as many fans are. Players have fits about good calls all of the time. I sometimes wonder whether they even understand the rules as well as knowledgeable fans. Judging the appropriateness of calls based on the reactions of players is like trusting criminals who claim they "didn't do it."

I liked everything about the game except for all of the penalties taken and the utter embarassment that is the Kings powerplay. Those are the two things that we should be united in disgust over, not whether a particular goal or penalty was a good call.

JT8888 12-24-2005 03:45 AM

My take on the Hemsky goal was that he tried to direct/kick it to his stick and it ended up in the net. Regardless if that was a King's goal and they called it it off we would all be pissed. So i think the call was fine.
Now the Kings powerplay. Man they need some work. I think 90% of our losses are directly because of the PP.

I Am Ziggy Palffy 12-24-2005 04:51 AM

whats with all the fear of the oilers...several teams this year have seemed much more dangerous than them...i thought the Kings are at least on the same level as EDM, and probably better...i know i'll probably be blasted for saying this b/c of our PP

Fripp 12-24-2005 12:45 PM

Its so sad that they have all this gear, technology, and extra people who's only job is to look at replays, and they still get the most obvious calls wrong.

Edit: btw thats two gwg's in two days on wrong calls. See game 1 of the home'n'home between Wild and Avs.

creative giant* 12-24-2005 02:38 PM

lol, I love this. Teams used to say they love playing against the Oilers, and all our fans were like, ummm what? We don't get it. Shouldn't they hate us like we hate them?

Now we leave a path of hatred where we go. Calgary, Vancouver, LA. Maybe you loved playing us because it was an easy win.

I know it's been said a lot already, but some people either don't get it, or refuse to understand it

you can direct the puck into the net with your foot! Ales Hemsky's reaction shows that he's a 22 year old kid who doesn't spend his nights studying the rule book

And it was reviewed by League offices in Toronto the minute it happened, and the results sent back to the refs on the phone. No homer goal judge gets the chance to make important calls anymore

hockeymistress 12-24-2005 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I had no problem with Hemsky's goal. I have a problem with Jim Fox analyzing and over-analyzing everything with his sing-song delivery, though :)

When they show Jim Fox on TV I get creeped out the way he bugs his eyes out on and off. It looks like the "Runaway Bride" photo that was constantly on the news.

H.

Face Wash 12-24-2005 03:47 PM

wah wah wah wah Hemsky wah wah wah high stick on Avery... wah wah wah

bottomline: Kings 0-12 on the PP, Kings 0-3 on two-man advantage, Kings 9-12 on the PK.

The Oilers handed the Kings a wrapped Christmas Gift two days early and Kings didn't have the slightest clue what the **** to do with it. Pure and simple.

Good trip through Canada, ended badly, regroup with the family at Christmas, come out with more purpose Monday vs. Thornton and the Sharks.

Mindcircus 12-24-2005 06:27 PM

...
 
It was more like 0-2 on the 2 man advantages. Still, 0-12 is brutal. Didn't the Kings have more powerplays than powerplay shots?

Oh and by the way, NO GOAL.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Osprey 12-24-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Wash
wah wah wah wah Hemsky wah wah wah high stick on Avery... wah wah wah

Face Wash has a way of cogently putting things that the rest of us wannabes can only aspire to :D :bow:

ILuvLA 12-24-2005 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Wash
wah wah wah wah Hemsky wah wah wah high stick on Avery... wah wah wah

bottomline: Kings 0-12 on the PP, Kings 0-3 on two-man advantage, Kings 3-12 on the PK.

The Oilers handed the Kings a wrapped Christmas Gift two days early and Kings didn't have the slightest clue what the **** to do with it. Pure and simple.

Good trip through Canada, ended badly, regroup with the family at Christmas, come out with more purpose Monday vs. Thornton and the Sharks.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

millax 12-25-2005 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
Fact ? Yea, nice try pal.

Ales Hemskey knew he got away with the perfect crime. Either that or he doesnt like scoring goals because he had a guilty reaction after the goal.

By the way, I don't wish you any luck.

You have commented on him skating the bench with a look on his face.. Could it have possibly been a look of discomfort or pain since he had just taken a Chris Pronger slap shot off of the foot?

Nice try though.. :biglaugh:

Mindcircus 12-25-2005 03:26 AM

...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by millax
You have commented on him skating the bench with a look on his face.. Could it have possibly been a look of discomfort or pain since he had just taken a Chris Pronger slap shot off of the foot?

Nice try though.. :biglaugh:

Pronger's shot deflected and had lost a lot of steam before it went off Hemsky's foot. Nice try...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.