HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   hollweg has been cleared to play (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=20520)

NYR469 10-17-2003 06:19 AM

hollweg has been cleared to play

Hollweg Returns To Tiger's Line Up

Thursday, October 16, 2003

Medicine Hat, AB - Medicine Hat Tigers are extremely happy to announce the return of Ryan Hollweg to their active playing roster.

Hollweg has been medically cleared to resume playing for the Tigers since suffering a head injury October 8, 2002.

"We feel very excited for Ryan regarding the news he has received about resuming his playing career in the Western Hockey League," said Tigers' general manager Rick Carriere. "It was a long and difficult year for Ryan and his family waiting for this time to come."

"Ryan has always been a very important part of our organization with his leadership abilities on and off the ice," stated Carriere. "Ryan is a very intense competitor and it will be nice to see him on the ice again."

"I am excited to be back and looking toward helping this team to build on last year's success," said Hollweg. "I am thankful for the tremendous support I received from the organization and my teammates. It's good to finally get over this hump and resume my career."

Ryan has begun practicing with the team and will return to play when he and the coaching staff feel he is ready.

NYR469 10-17-2003 06:22 AM

if he shows that he is healthy, i'd LOVE to see sather sign him and get him back in the organization. imo there is no justifiable reason for not signing him other than his injury

E-Train 10-17-2003 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
if he shows that he is healthy, i'd LOVE to see sather sign him and get him back in the organization. imo there is no justifiable reason for not signing him other than his injury

If he shows he can play in the WHL, he can be signed and brought to Hartford this season. I would like to see another young asset in the organization (health permitting)

#37-#93-#27* 10-17-2003 06:51 AM

Good to see he recovered from the injury, I hope he does well.

Potter 10-17-2003 07:00 AM

What exactly happened to Hollweg? Wasnt it something horrible like a broken bone in his neck or a really bad concussion?

Larry Melnyk 10-17-2003 07:12 AM

Great news for the kid...Based on all the reports I read about him, he was one of my favorite prospects...Here's hoping he has a healthy career and can make it back to the AHL/NHL---The Pack/Rangers would be nice but I don't think he's done anything bad enough to deserve that! :)

#37-#93-#27* 10-17-2003 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potter
What exactly happened to Hollweg? Wasnt it something horrible like a broken bone in his neck or a really bad concussion?

His head slammed into a player's knee going full speed and he suffered a really bad concussion that almost and could have killed him if he would've played again which he was about to do.

Edge 10-17-2003 01:46 PM

if not for the injury there is no doubt in my mind he'd be in hartford right now. i can see him turning into a sean avery type player if his health permits.

NYR469 10-17-2003 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potter

hollweg was diagnosed with cerebral hematoma back in november...if i remember correctly he got kneed in the head and then also hit his head on the ice. i'm not 100% clear on the medical details but the simpliest definition of 'cerebral hematoma' i've seen is that it is a blood clot in the brain...

and the risk of a 2nd blow was far more serious than with a normal concussion, which is why dr johnston wouldn't let him play for the rest of the year

i remember at the time people in the WHL were using this as an example of why they need to take better care of their players. if i remember correctly, hollweg had an agent who was really looking out for him and when hollweg got hurt the agent immediately contacted the rangers. the rangers then flew their doctors out to see him and then got him to see dr karen johnston (dr who saw richter & lindros and is one of the best in the world)...

and the main reason for them using this as an example of why they need to take more precautions was cause hollweg got treated by the best doctors thanks to the fact that he was drafted by the rangers. but an undrafted kid in juniors wouldn't have been able to afford that and never would have seen a doctor half as good as dr johnston. most likely that player would have just been checked by the team doctor and it would have been determined it was a normal concussion. then that player would have returned before really healing and would have possibly been killed.