HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Found this rather interesting (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=205695)

BobbyClarkeFan16 12-28-2005 08:46 AM

Found this rather interesting

This was on CNNSI.com:

Coach Ken Hitchcock insists that Robert Esche is still the team's No. 1 netminder when he returns from injury. But Antero Niittymaki's play isn't making that decision any easier. Before last Friday's game, the 25-year-old rookie had allowed just 14 goals in seven starts, compiling a 1.93 GAA and .930 save percentage over that stretch.

So, if it's true that you never lose your job to injury, is it safe to say that Hitch is going to give the job back to Esche, even though Niitty has outperformed him all season?

GKJ 12-28-2005 08:47 AM

The better man will start in the playoffs

edd1e 12-28-2005 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
This was on CNNSI.com:

Coach Ken Hitchcock insists that Robert Esche is still the team's No. 1 netminder when he returns from injury. But Antero Niittymaki's play isn't making that decision any easier. Before last Friday's game, the 25-year-old rookie had allowed just 14 goals in seven starts, compiling a 1.93 GAA and .930 save percentage over that stretch.

So, if it's true that you never lose your job to injury, is it safe to say that Hitch is going to give the job back to Esche, even though Niitty has outperformed him all season?

And Pitkänen is injured! aww, the fins rock, or not..

greatwhite101* 12-28-2005 11:58 AM

Frank deserves it, however I would give them 50/50 chance at this point.

donelikedinner 12-28-2005 12:00 PM

Hitch is playing mindgames, but the best man will start when it counts

Nuclear 12-28-2005 04:33 PM

It makes sense to say this. Even though Niitty is playing very well, he wants Esche to come back with motivation to fight for the #1 job. He can't comment until maybe 75 games in when it get's close.

lynchmob450 12-28-2005 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
The better man will start in the playoffs

I really HOPE that this will be the case. I am on Nitty's side here...but if Esche comes back and stands on his head, i'd ride him for sure.

But what is VERY clear is that Nitty is the future for the Flyers. Whether or not the future is in this season's playoffs...we'll see.

Broad st phantom 12-28-2005 09:26 PM

nitty is the f-king man thats all i have to say

swflyers8* 12-28-2005 09:44 PM

Esche deserves a shot when he comes back. If he plays himself out of the #1 spot, Niity will take it. He was playing good when he came back the first time. To me it would be an asset to have 2 decent goalies on your team in the new NHL.

pumpy tudors 12-29-2005 04:22 PM

Esche will need to play a lot better than he has to keep the #1 spot.....the long rebounds and the soft goals from the point will have to stop. I don't see it happening. Nitty has been better. Maybe Roloson would become available closer to the deadline. I think both he and Fernandez are free after '06. I'd take him.

lukin10 12-29-2005 04:29 PM

didn't hitch do something similar to this last year? kind of....

Ex Storm 12-29-2005 04:40 PM

There's still more than half of the season to see if Esche will regain his form and stay healthy. He won't lose his job to injury and will be given a shot. I think Hitch will probably go back to Esche as the #1 right when he comes back and will let him win/lose the starters job for the playoffs.

pumpy tudors 12-29-2005 04:53 PM

I hope you are wrong.......truly.

Toonces 12-30-2005 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
There's still more than half of the season to see if Esche will regain his form and stay healthy.

There in lines the problem, when has Esche ever been healthy for a signifigant stretch? As goaltenders go, he's about as injury prone as Sieds is.

deuceswild 12-30-2005 09:45 AM

Hitch will definitely give esche a shot of course. however i don't see nitty getting worse...hes just so calm. I'm not completely sure but i believe nitty had the best numbers (excluding shutouts) for december.

Roger's Pancreas* 12-30-2005 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuceswild
Hitch will definitely give esche a shot of course. however i don't see nitty getting worse...hes just so calm. I'm not completely sure but i believe nitty had the best numbers (excluding shutouts) for december.

The only numbers that matter are his 13-4-3 record, that's freaking impressive.

In fact his record is almost identical to Henrik Lunqvist's who has been mentioned as a Calder candidate.