HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Is Marek Zidlicky for real? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=20614)

KariyaIsGod* 10-17-2003 12:04 PM

Is Marek Zidlicky for real?

THis guy looks really good the first couple games. Does anybody tihnk he will continue to score like this?

What is his roof in terms of points?

For now? and for the future?

triggrman 10-17-2003 12:17 PM

It's awfully early to judge him but I'm loving they way he's starting off. He seems to have great vision as well as great hands. He's actually good defensively as well to so far. After watching Zidlicky, Hamhuis and Schnabel, I fully understand letting Hulse, Houlder and Delmore go.

SmokeyClause 10-17-2003 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
It's awfully early to judge him but I'm loving they way he's starting off. He seems to have great vision as well as great hands. He's actually good defensively as well to so far. After watching Zidlicky, Hamhuis and Schnabel, I fully understand letting Hulse, Houlder and Delmore go.

Agreed, Poile is looking smarter by the day.

Zids is a wonderful puck moving defenseman. His passing is on par with Timonen and he has one of the best one-timers in the league. He plays the point on the PP as good as any who has worn a Preds uni. He gambles alot on defense, but can open-ice hit with the best of them. He floored Pohl of the Blues in the preseason and almost took Sejna out. He got just enough of him to knock him off balance and avoid a 2-1. He won't keep up this 1.33 ppg pace he's on but don't be suprised if he has 20 goals and 25 assists by season's end. It's not too farfetched especially if we actually start playing good ES hockey.

BTW, I have to plug Hamhuis in here. He is a physical S.O.B. out there. He was crunching people into the boards quite often. If he had the size of Pitkanen or Jaybo, this kid would be considered the best D prospect in years.

psycho_dad 10-17-2003 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Agreed, Poile is looking smarter by the day.

Zids is a wonderful puck moving defenseman. His passing is on par with Timonen and he has one of the best one-timers in the league. He plays the point on the PP as good as any who has worn a Preds uni. He won't keep up this 1.33 ppg pace he's on but don't be suprised if he has 20 goals and 25 assists by season's end. It's not too farfetched especially if we actually start playing good ES hockey.

I told you so..hehe..well not you maybe, but these boards anyway.

golfmade 10-17-2003 02:10 PM

i've not seen any of the Preds games but have listened to them on the internet. It sounds like Marek is handling himself very well on the ice and has a good offenseive upside.

SmokeyClause 10-20-2003 09:11 AM

Marek is currently 5th in the NHL in scoring. He is tied with Visnovsky, Zubov, and Rafalski for the NHL lead amongst defensman. I don't much care for the Rafalski comparison. I think Brian is a better skater and while not nearly as quick a passer as Marek, his passes tend to be slightly more accurate. Of course, the Rafalski I am comparing him to is the Rafalski of the past few seasons and not the rookie Rafalski of '99. I think he'll have a much greater impact than Rafalski did in his rookie year. And Marek is so much more physical than Rafalski is. He crunches people into the boards. He destroys people in the open ice (Rick Nash and Pohl of St. Louis come to mind). Last night, our 3rd game in 4 nights, against Chicago, our whole team was flat. Despite being physically dominant in our previous 4 games, Chicago took it to us. One of the few bright spots was Zidlicky. He picked up his 6th point of the year but also layed down the law a few times. His shot from the circle created our only goal. It may not have been intentional but it was low and to the right giving Legwand the perfect rebound opportunity. He shot it like you want to see it. He has a blast for a shot but is also very creative. Probably just as much as Rafalski. His passes are faster than most of our shots, as well. He pinches alot and has been caught a few times.

Strangely enough, Marek isn't the most suprising Predator. That tag goes to Dan Hamhuis. This kid is hitting just as hard as Zidlicky and is displaying poise well beyond his 20 years. He is physical against the boards. He doesn't take it from anyone. His hipchecks are a thing to behold. He's only landed 4 so far and most were against the board but one sent a BJ flying (there is a picture in the 'pictures of rookies' thread). If I am a forward, I don't go around him; I try to go right though him. The worst he can do there is pokecheck the puck away (which he is very adept at doing). I'm more impressed with what Hamhuis is doing than from what I saw (not a whole lot) from Jackman to start out last season. Jackman kept progressing at an impressive rate, can Hamhuis?

-HIFK- 10-20-2003 09:45 AM

The fact that Marek didnīt move to the NHL sooner was nothing short of pure injustice for him. Having him play here for several seasons was like winning the lottery for the HIFK team. So I never complained... ;)

Watching him play, you can probably understand why he was the fansī favorite over here with HIFK. Us fans felt the deepest gratitude towards the NY Rangers for not wanting to sign Marek during the previous years. Last season, as his rights were traded to Nashville, it became evident that it would be his last season with us.

His stick-handling is amazing, considering that heīs a defenceman. Despite his small size, he can rock you with a huge hit. At least heīll always try to hit you... He has an incredible slap-shot, as well as a great wrist. He can do some pretty magical things with the puck, for example playing on the power-play, at the blue-line. His offensive style of play will sometimes cause some dangerous situations in his own end, but thatīs just Marek for you.

Enjoy him, we sure did.

Joe T Choker 10-20-2003 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -HIFK-
Despite his small size, he can rock you with a huge hit. At least heīll always try to hit you... He has an incredible slap-shot, as well as a great wrist.

I think Rick Nash can attest to this... :yo::D

The_Wiz 10-20-2003 10:34 AM

A new CALDER contender ?

Is ZIDLICKY a CALDER favourite with Rutuu, Sejna, and Pitkannen now ?

He does have a 6 game point streak to start off his NHL career !!!!!!! How many rookies have done that ? Anyone ever ?

I think he should be ! Yes, i did just buy him in my fantasy draft ! ;) hee hee

SmokeyClause 10-20-2003 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Wiz
Is ZIDLICKY a CALDER favourite with Rutuu, Sejna, and Pitkannen now ?

He does have a 6 game point streak to start off his NHL career !!!!!!! How many rookies have done that ? Anyone ever ?

I think he should be ! Yes, i did just buy him in my fantasy draft ! ;) hee hee

Unfortunately, I don't think Zidlicky is Calder eligible. Initially, it appeared he was only 25. Several sources, including Hockeydb.com, said he was born in 1978. That would make him Calder eligible. But, it turns out, he is actually 26, making him ineligible by about 6 months or so.

Joe T Choker 10-20-2003 12:47 PM

yup...he's not eligible...he turned 26 on February 3rd, 1977

The player must not be older than 26 years before September 15 of the season in which he is eligible.

pavel13 10-20-2003 12:53 PM

Contrary to popular belief, Marek Zidlicky is, not, in fact, for real. He is merely a figment of your imagination.

-HIFK- 10-20-2003 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seven_Nation_Army
yup...he's not eligible...he turned 26 on February 3rd, 1977
So if he turned 26 on February 3rd, 1977, that would mean heīs 52 years old today. Certainly nor eligible anymore... ;)

However, I do know what you meant.

Jovavic 10-20-2003 03:42 PM

Took longer for Zidlicky to get up after the Nash hit than Rick did. Probably was surprised the 19 year old was that heavy on his skates.

Joe T Choker 10-20-2003 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
Took longer for Zidlicky to get up after the Nash hit than Rick did. Probably was surprised the 19 year old was that heavy on his skates.

Was Zidlicky crying to the ref or was it Nash that was crying to the ref after the hit...it wasn't Zidlicky

Reign Nateo 10-20-2003 04:16 PM

This deal could turn out to be a real steal if Zidlicky keeps it up and Kloucek develops properly. Not that NYR got a bad deal in Dunham, but consiering the current goaltending market, Poile may have made a very, very well timed move.

Mr. Canucklehead 10-20-2003 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavel13
Contrary to popular belief, Marek Zidlicky is, not, in fact, for real. He is merely a figment of your imagination.

Am I the only one who enjoyed a good laugh out of this? :D

I remember last year Finnish fans were telling the Preds fans that if Zidlicky signed, then they would take the Rangers to the cleaners in the Dunham deal. So far it certainly seems to be the case; Murray's a useful veteran for the young Preds, Kloucek is a good physical defender, and Zidlicky is ripping it up.

~Canucklehead~

SmokeyClause 10-20-2003 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Am I the only one who enjoyed a good laugh out of this? :D

I remember last year Finnish fans were telling the Preds fans that if Zidlicky signed, then they would take the Rangers to the cleaners in the Dunham deal. So far it certainly seems to be the case; Murray's a useful veteran for the young Preds, Kloucek is a good physical defender, and Zidlicky is ripping it up.

~Canucklehead~

Ask most any Preds fan and they would take Dunham for Murray straight up. Dunham was widely considered a lockerroom cancer and it's no suprise that we started playing well after he departed. Just to rid ourselves of him was worth it. That we got a good 3rd liner and two very solid defensive prospects is gravy, real good southern gravy...with biscuits and sausage and bacon and milk and I'm hungry.

Jovavic 10-20-2003 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Was Zidlicky crying to the ref or was it Nash that was crying to the ref after the hit...it wasn't Zidlicky

It wasn't Nash because he went to the bench for the end of his shift.

Enoch 10-20-2003 06:01 PM

Quote:

It wasn't Nash because he went to the bench for the end of his shift.

:rolleyes:

triggrman 10-20-2003 07:22 PM

You know if I gave up 5" and 20lbs. to a guy that leveled me, I'd hop up real fast too.

As far as the Dunham deal goes, Nashville has already won that trade. What would your team give Nashville for Zidlicky, Kloucek and Murray? Surely you would give more than your back-up goalie.

Let me say something else about new commers on the Predators defense. If the Yotes had not given up so quick on Robert Schnabel they would have had one of the scariest young bluelines in the league. Imagine adding 6'6" 233lbs. big guy to that blueline. I hate it he got hurt, he's the most physical blueliner we've had by far, Kloucek is back this week though, let's see if he can stay off the IR long enough to make a differnce, or at least until Schnabel returns.

Schnabel

c-carp 10-20-2003 11:11 PM

Kelly Chase was on the radio the other night after the Blues played the Caps and the discussin drifted to the Blues Nashville game and Chaser was raving about Zidlicky. He even said he would be a rookie of the year candidate if he wasnt over the age limit.

I think he may have said that he thinks the kid may top out at 40 pts this year.

Jovavic 10-21-2003 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
:rolleyes:

Watch the replay, if you don't believe. I really have no problem with some message board poster not believing in the truth. If it makes you feel better that Nash ***** and moaned while still on the ice, then so be it, whatever rocks your pathetic boat.

triggrman 10-21-2003 04:05 AM

Quote:

Watch the replay, if you don't believe. I really have no problem with some message board poster not believing in the truth. If it makes you feel better that Nash ***** and moaned while still on the ice, then so be it, whatever rocks your pathetic boat.

sour grapes........

NY Rangers Fan 10-21-2003 04:06 AM

The trade was a win win situation for both teams. Dunham has been phenominal for the Rangers and most fans would do that trade again in a heartbeat.

Zidlicky was never going to play for the Rangers. He refused to come to North America while the Rangers owned his rights so he was no loss from the Rangers perspective. Kloucek was awesome before he tore his knee up. He hasn't been the same yet, but he is still young and is a monster when healthy.

Murray, didn't want to be on the Rangers anyway and was easily replaced.

Both teams seem pretty happy with the trade as I think it was a win - win for both clubs. Nashville probably won more than the Rangers though, but the Rangers got the goaltender they needed. Good trade for both teams.