HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   The day so many of you thought would never come... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=206689)

TubbyTerrion* 12-31-2005 12:45 PM

The day so many of you thought would never come...
 
Making his NHL debut today... for the Caps... #70... Center... DAVID STECKEL...

Reaper45 12-31-2005 12:46 PM

Props to him. I always knew he'd come around, it's a shame we lost him.

wabwat 12-31-2005 12:48 PM

i guess Jared Aulin's shoulder is worse than we thought!?!

David A. Rainer 12-31-2005 01:21 PM

Well, 93.1% of all 1st round picks make it to the NHL for at least one game (between the years 1979-1995). So it was almost a lock he'd at least get there. But let's see how long he lasts. If he has an NHL career over 100 games, then we'll talk about whether it was a shame to lose him.

Reaper45 12-31-2005 01:31 PM

OK, who would you rather call up for 4th line duty at the moment, David Steckel or Matt Ryan?

David A. Rainer 12-31-2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
OK, who would you rather call up for 4th line duty at the moment, David Steckel or Matt Ryan?

Can we skate shorthanded? ;)

Game Misconduct 12-31-2005 02:12 PM

Best of luck to him.

Venom_17 12-31-2005 02:34 PM

I'm pretty sure 60% of current AHL forwards could play in Washington this season. No offense to Dave Steckel.

TubbyTerrion* 12-31-2005 03:57 PM

Hey, they made NHL veteran Andrew Cassels a scratch for him, so they must have really reached a boiling point there :)

Osprey 12-31-2005 04:06 PM

He had 4:31 of ice-time, no points, was 0 +/- and had 1 shot on goal. Nothing special, but not bad for an NHL debut.

TubbyTerrion* 12-31-2005 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey
He had 4:31 of ice-time, no points, was 0 +/- and had 1 shot on goal. Nothing special, but not bad for an NHL debut.


served a penalty to Sutherby, lost all 3 of the draws he took, had a shot on goal, and one that missed the target.

All that being said... the Caps are 1-0-0 with big #70 in the lineup :)

Old Hickory 12-31-2005 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
OK, who would you rather call up for 4th line duty at the moment, David Steckel or Matt Ryan?

To be honest, Matt Ryan.

Capn Brown 01-01-2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
To be honest, Matt Ryan.

I'd have to take the opposite stance. IMHO, this organization has far too many prospects that can be categorized as either "small" or "smaller" or "smallish" (Kanko, Clarke, Tambs, James, Ryan, Cam---though in truth, no longer a prospect).

FWIW, I believe one of the primary reasons why Parros made the team has to do with with his size. Parros has hands of stone and is, at best, an average skater. But his work ethic, hockey smarts, and SIZE helped to win him a role on the team.

I don't know so much about Steckel's hockey smarts, but he definately possesses the SIZE and the work ethic and, unlike several former 1st round picks too numerous to mention, knows he has to EARN every penny he makes by giving 110% every shift.

Long story short, Steckel > Matt Ryan.

Captain Ron 01-01-2006 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Daleks
I'd have to take the opposite stance. IMHO, this organization has far too many prospects that can be categorized as either "small" or "smaller" or "smallish" (Kanko, Clarke, Tambs, James, Ryan, Cam---though in truth, no longer a prospect).

FWIW, I believe one of the primary reasons why Parros made the team has to do with with his size. Parros has hands of stone and is, at best, an average skater. But his work ethic, hockey smarts, and SIZE helped to win him a role on the team.

I don't know so much about Steckel's hockey smarts, but he definately possesses the SIZE and the work ethic and, unlike several former 1st round picks too numerous to mention, knows he has to EARN every penny he makes by giving 110% every shift.

Long story short, Steckel > Matt Ryan.

Well using that criteria then you definitely think the Kings should call up
Mormina on defense, right?:dunno:

You must just be salivating at the thought of Boyle being on the team in the seasons to come.:)

wabwat 01-01-2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17
I'm pretty sure 60% of current AHL forwards could play in Washington this season. No offense to Dave Steckel.

but PLENTY of offense to Jared Aulin :sarcasm:

guzmania 01-01-2006 09:36 PM

I would always draft for potential. Big or small. Steckel was close when we drafted him. Boyle might still be the guy Steckel was supposed to be. Factor it all together, size is a component. With our smallish success we're still waiting for that big phenom. Other teams key on size too though. Hey, we have Dustin. OK, I guess that don't count in hockey or horseshoes.

Captain Ron 01-01-2006 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guzmania
I would always draft for potential. Big or small. Steckel was close when we drafted him. Boyle might still be the guy Steckel was supposed to be. Factor it all together, size is a component. With our smallish success we're still waiting for that big phenom. Other teams key on size too though. Hey, we have Dustin. OK, I guess that don't count in hockey or horseshoes.

Right now the Kings best bet for a big skilled guy down the middle is Kopitar. From what I have heard he has the hands of a Cammalleri and the body of a Bertuzzi. Next year will definitely be exciting in terms of our young talent.

Game Misconduct 01-02-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongebob
Right now the Kings best bet for a big skilled guy down the middle is Kopitar. From what I have heard he has the hands of a Cammalleri and the body of a Bertuzzi. Next year will definitely be exciting in terms of our young talent.

He does not have a Bertuzzi body. Not even close. He's strong, but not a monster.

Osprey 01-02-2006 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
He does not have a Bertuzzi body. Not even close. He's strong, but not a monster.

In Spongie's defense, how "monstrous" was Bertuzzi when he was barely 18? Anze has 25lbs to go before he's Todd's current size, but that's relatively nothing for an 18-year-old who still has 2-3 years of growth left.

Reaper45 01-02-2006 01:16 PM

If anyone is close to becoming Bertuzzi's size, it's Boyle.

Osprey 01-02-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
If anyone is close to becoming Bertuzzi's size, it's Boyle.

Isn't Boyle 6'6" or something? Bertuzzi is "only" 6'3". If Boyle eats his Whoppers, he should become even bigger, I would imagine.

David A. Rainer 01-02-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey
In Spongie's defense, how "monstrous" was Bertuzzi when he was barely 18? Anze has 25lbs to go before he's Todd's current size, but that's relatively nothing for an 18-year-old who still has 2-3 years of growth left.

At draft:
Bertuzzi - 6'3", 235
Kopitar - 6'4", 220
Boyle - 6'7", 220

10 years after draft:
Bertuzzi - 6'3", 245
Kopitar - ???
Boyle - ???

Bertuzzi gained 10 lbs. Kopitar will probably add about the same. He's got the same build as Bertuzzi, but Bertuzzi has a ton of muscle. Kopitar will really have to hit the weight room to get to Bertuzzi's physique. Boyle is just too lanky - not very muscular. Boston College has him at 240 now, but unless he's on steriods in the last few months, he probably had about 25 lbs of McD's in his stomach at the time of the weigh in.

Boyle is more likely to compare to Bertuzzi's size, but I think Kopitar is more likely to reach Bertuzzi's physique.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.