HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings are officially at the half way point. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=206988)

Captain Ron 01-01-2006 01:00 PM

Kings are officially at the half way point.

I justed noticed this morning that the Kings have played 41 games as of now (01/01/06). They have a record of 25 Wins 14 Losses and 2 OTL. I for one would have to say that they have exceeded what I expected from them at the beginning of the season. Here is to hoping that the second half of the season is just as good, if not better.

Go Kings!

Rob Stauber* 01-01-2006 01:23 PM

Here's some projections (Numbers have been adjusted for injuries):

Pavol Demitra 40 G 60 A = 100 Points +42
Craig Conroy 30 G 52 A = 82 Points +40
Alexander Frolov 28 G 48 A = 76 Points +32
Lubomir Visnovsky 18G 58 A = 76 Points +36
Michael Cammalleri 32 G 28 A = 70 Points -6
Eric Belanger 24 G 28 A = 52 Points +10
Derek Armstrong 24 G 28 A = 52 Points +2
Sean Avery 18 G 24 A = 42 Points +8
Joe Corvo 14 G 24 A = 38 Points +54
Dustin Brown 14 G 18 A = 32 Points -4

*Regarding Jeff Cowan, if he were to have played all 82 games he would be on pace for 20-22 goals.

TonySCV 01-01-2006 01:25 PM

It's interesting that we're the only team in the league to have played 41 games. The Kings have played more than anyone.

Evilo 01-01-2006 01:29 PM

I've been very impressed and surprised by the Kings. I never thought they'd be THIS good.

jfont 01-01-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV
It's interesting that we're the only team in the league to have played 41 games. The Kings have played more than anyone.

2nd half should give them more days off and time to lick their wounds...recuperate...and kick some butt in the playoffs.

Rob Stauber* 01-01-2006 01:36 PM

Even though we've made the playoffs a few times in the last 10 years, I never really expected much.

But this team just gives you the feeling that on any given night theyre capable of beating anyone. Thats not a team you wanna face in the playoffs.

Captain Ron 01-01-2006 01:38 PM

Something I found kind of interesting is that on the NHL board there was a thread called "Contenders and Pretenders" or something like that. I thought it was funny that the Kings were not mentioned in either category (at least as far as I read), despite the fact that the Kings have been consistently in the top 10 this season. Hopefully the Kings will take some teams by surprise in the playoffs.:)

jfont 01-01-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongebob
Something I found kind of interesting is that on the NHL board there was a thread called "Contenders and Pretenders" or something like that. I thought it was funny that the Kings were not mentioned in either category (at least as far as I read), despite the fact that the Kings have been consistently in the top 10 this season. Hopefully the Kings will take some teams by surprise in the playoffs.:)

meh...make them underestimate the kings...and then surprise everyone in the playoffs.

i do know that some people think the kings would come down to around 500 eventually...hope they prove them wrong.

KingPurpleDinosaur 01-01-2006 01:45 PM

Well I agree w/ that assertion, we seem to be a team that is neither "pretender" or "contender". I don't think we're good enough to be contending for the stanely cup nor are we just a fluke team who's in a playoff position. We're somewhere in the middle right now.

Captain Ron 01-01-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
Well I agree w/ that assertion, we seem to be a team that is neither "pretender" or "contender". I don't think we're good enough to be contending for the stanely cup nor are we just a fluke team who's in a playoff position. We're somewhere in the middle right now.

I would probably agree with that. But Dallas and Vancouver were both put into the Contender category in a few posts.....and we have pretty much owned both teams this year.

TubbyTerrion* 01-01-2006 02:10 PM

While the Kings are finding ways to win, it's still hard to take them seriously when they can't put the nail in the coffin the way the big winning teams do. When you're up 3-2 and are given a power play with 4 minutes to go, ok... maybe you don't score, but you can certainly spend more time in the offensive zone with the puck than in the defensive zone chasing...

It's moments like that that continue to tell me the Kings are a piece away from being a juggernaut. One power play defenseman with a legitimate cannon for a shot. Give me that, and I'm sold. The depth up front is good. The goaltending is capable. The coaching is acceptable from a level of preparation and committment. The defense is suspect at times, but is made up for by offensive production, but the special teams just suck eggs... and when Bob Miller sells you on "The Kings have scored at least one power play goal in 10 of their last 11 games," believe me, he's SELLING it. It's deceptive. The Kings have NOT scored power play goals when they have needed them to seal victories, and in fact, have looked horrendous in terms of their inability to show cohesion with the man/men advantage.

There may be a handful of playoff games in the future, but there won't be much respect around the league until the Kings figure out how to make their victories more decisive. Being outshot 17-1 while clinging to a lead is barely dominant :)

guzmania 01-01-2006 02:11 PM

Things I like in the first half:

-Touch up offside, the best of the rule changes. It makes the game speed along. :bow:

-The Kids, gosh the farm club system might just work. DT saw what happened when we never really had one. Best overall change of his admin. :teach:

-The swoon of the Divealanche, never have so few deserved so much. "You know you can't go on gettin' your own way, cause if you do it's gonna get you someday" D. Mason "Only You Know and I Know". :yo:

Things I hate:

-The Biggest Damn Sports Graphic, who at FSW thought that the action-blocking lower third,(more like lower half), animated graphic during the power play was gonna work out. And when it didn't, why wasn't it retooled. I never watch that rag, and never will when that crap graphic is stuffed down my throat at the most important time in games. :madfire:

-The Power Play, luckily we score 5 on 5 or the year might have been lost. We need to get Luc more involved. Crash the net. JVB, I hope the unnamed responsibilities you also take care of are working out better than this area. We are scouted, you know. Sure looks to most of us that the execution is there and the plan isn't. :help:

-Gary Bettman, Rob Blake, Jaroslav Modry, the Dux, Kerry Frazier, Edmonton off-ice officiating, Pessimists, Krumudgeonating Know-it-alls who don't let the facts get in the way of their opinions:o, self explanitory :rant:

TubbyTerrion* 01-01-2006 02:27 PM

The only one of the new rules I am TOTALLY opposed to is... THE TRAPEZOID.

Great point on the Biggest Damn Sports Graphic!

guzmania 01-01-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
The only one of the new rules I am TOTALLY opposed to is... THE TRAPEZOID.

OK, how about fair-game behind the line and outside the trapezoid. That would make Brown, Bellanger and Avery that much more valuable. What don't you like about it, Tubby? I kinda like the rule, but I'm open to criticism of it.

Old Hickory 01-01-2006 02:57 PM

Overall, I could not be happier with the first half.

I expected the team to be in 4th to 6th place. They are in first.
I expected Roenick to be a huge part of this team. He has been everything but that and the team has not lost back to back games all year outside of the December skid.

Scoring:
I expected Bure to provide missing scoring depth of the past. I expected about 10 goals from him. Bure, Luc, and JR have a combined 11 goals and the team is 4th overall in goals scored.
Remember before the season started, we were trying to find room for all the forwards? A line of them hasn't produced and we are 4th in goals scored....wow.

Coaching:
The team is not showing the same issues game after game after game (sans the powerplay) The coaching staff is nipping problems in the bud. They can win games when the bounces aren't going their way. The players are playing hard. I am happy.

Goaltending:
Wow.

Our goaltending was supposed to be a question mark. I figuered it was at minimum and upgrade over Chechmanek. Garon and Labarbara are both hot at different times (which is a good problem) and both have stolen games for us.

Defense-
My motto before the season started was if they call the game they way they claimed, out D would be alright.
Dempsey has stunk up the ice and Weaver has shown he is a capable number 6. Thank god for a farm system, in past years this might have broke us.
Going forward, we need a D-man. We unfortunately need the toughest d-man to get, the dreaded 2 way d-man. We need another PP quarterback and we need someone with a mean streak to kick some ***. If we could merge Brendan Witt and Gonchar, we would be set.
Leetch would be the ideal deadline target.

Special teams-
Blahhh.

Our PP blows. But if the PP can be fixed and the team keeps up it's level of play five on five, this team could be deadly.

Our PP hasn't been the same since Deader went down. We need a Cicerelli, Homlstrom, John LeClair in front of the net forward who will take a beating for a goal. With the goalie screened and d-mn preoccupied at PP is soooo much more deadly.
I haven't watched Florida much, so I don't know how he looks, but this is where we go after the Gary Roberts of the past.

As stated about we also need a PP quarterback.

We should use the trading deadline to address our PP and PK. I think our PK is missing someone to clear the front of the net. Maybe we get 2 d-men at the deadline.

LuckyLUC20 01-01-2006 03:27 PM

My two cents:

Players I've been impressed with:

Tim Gleason - He's proven that he'll stick up for his teammates. Seeing him drop the gloves with guys like Chara and Thornton was awesome. He has major cajones for going toe to toe with them.

Aaron Miller - Definitely our best d-man in the first half of the season. He looked like our second goalie out there blocking shots. Get better soon, Aaron!

Mathieu Garon - When the Kings traded for him, I was excited. Especially after we all saw him stone the Kings when they faced Montreal at Staples Center the year before the lockout. Then hearing the Habs fans rave about him.. I thought, man.. finally, a goalie that can win us some games. He has definitely lived up to that hype for me. Although he didn't have a great start to the season.. he certainly has exceeded my expectations thus far. Glad to see him on our team.

Pavol Demitra - see my avatar. :D

Craig Conroy - Wow! Not only is he a great leader on and off the ice.. but dude's got some skill!

Also the young guys.. I'm so happy to see them coming up to the NHL from Manchester and contributing right away. I agree with guz about the kids.

Players that have me :shakehead :

Jeremy Roenick - Here's to hoping his New Year's Resolution is to quit talking and start producing. Wait a minute.. did I say quit talking? LOL, never!

Our special teams - :rant: :confused: :cry: :madfire: :rant:

TubbyTerrion* 01-01-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guzmania
OK, how about fair-game behind the line and outside the trapezoid. That would make Brown, Bellanger and Avery that much more valuable. What don't you like about it, Tubby? I kinda like the rule, but I'm open to criticism of it.

I just feel it's a ridiculous restriction that was put into practice to eliminate a good portion of the effective part of the two Marty's (Brodeur/Turco) game. Hey, wanna make 'em fair game behind the goal line? OK, I'll buy it, but I am just not down with this particular limitation. Surprisingly few penalties in the NHL for goaltenders accidentally playing the puck in these zones, but I would like them to have freedom of movement. In listening to various experts, I think it might be the one rule to go back to the way it was come next season.

Osprey 01-01-2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

I just feel it's a ridiculous restriction that was put into practice to eliminate a good portion of the effective part of the two Marty's (Brodeur/Turco) game. Hey, wanna make 'em fair game behind the goal line? OK, I'll buy it, but I am just not down with this particular limitation. Surprisingly few penalties in the NHL for goaltenders accidentally playing the puck in these zones, but I would like them to have freedom of movement. In listening to various experts, I think it might be the one rule to go back to the way it was come next season.

I don't know. Have you noticed how many times the puck stays in the zone because the goaltender can't play it in the corner? It happens dozens of times per game. Before, the goaltenders would be in the corner slapping the puck out of the zone or passing it to an open teammate who then passed it out of the zone. Now, a puck in the corner usually means that the defender and the attacker tie each other up and, very often, an attacker get possession and create a scoring chance or at least a shot on net. I think that it creates as much offense as any of the other rules.

Quattro 01-01-2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guzmania
Things I hate:

-The Biggest Damn Sports Graphic, who at FSW thought that the action-blocking lower third,(more like lower half), animated graphic during the power play was gonna work out. And when it didn't, why wasn't it retooled. I never watch that rag, and never will when that crap graphic is stuffed down my throat at the most important time in games. :madfire:

BIG 2nd on this one! I HATE that thing! :rant:

ILuvLA 01-01-2006 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
My two cents:

Players I've been impressed with:

Tim Gleason - He's proven that he'll stick up for his teammates. Seeing him drop the gloves with guys like Chara and Thornton was awesome. He has major cajones for going toe to toe with them.

Aaron Miller - Definitely our best d-man in the first half of the season. He looked like our second goalie out there blocking shots. Get better soon, Aaron!

Mathieu Garon - When the Kings traded for him, I was excited. Especially after we all saw him stone the Kings when they faced Montreal at Staples Center the year before the lockout. Then hearing the Habs fans rave about him.. I thought, man.. finally, a goalie that can win us some games. He has definitely lived up to that hype for me. Although he didn't have a great start to the season.. he certainly has exceeded my expectations thus far. Glad to see him on our team.

Pavol Demitra - see my avatar. :D

Craig Conroy - Wow! Not only is he a great leader on and off the ice.. but dude's got some skill!

Also the young guys.. I'm so happy to see them coming up to the NHL from Manchester and contributing right away. I agree with guz about the kids.

Players that have me :shakehead :

Jeremy Roenick - Here's to hoping his New Year's Resolution is to quit talking and start producing. Wait a minute.. did I say quit talking? LOL, never!

Our special teams - :rant: :confused: :cry: :madfire: :rant:

You took the words out of my mouth. But I want to add a couple more:
Belanger - What a year he's had to date, until injured. Here's to a speedy return.
Lubo - Shaky start, on a career year pace.

TubbyTerrion* 01-02-2006 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey
I don't know. Have you noticed how many times the puck stays in the zone because the goaltender can't play it in the corner? It happens dozens of times per game. Before, the goaltenders would be in the corner slapping the puck out of the zone or passing it to an open teammate who then passed it out of the zone. Now, a puck in the corner usually means that the defender and the attacker tie each other up and, very often, an attacker get possession and create a scoring chance or at least a shot on net. I think that it creates as much offense as any of the other rules.

I do see your point, and it's a valid one, but I still feel the goaltender's restrictions limit the talent of the stickhandling goalie. I really love watching a guy like Brodeur play HIS game. I really hope this one is repealed.

7Seconds 01-02-2006 12:40 AM

KingsJohn:"Our PP hasn't been the same since Deader went down. We need a Cicerelli, Homlstrom, John LeClair in front of the net forward who will take a beating for a goal."

This is what I dont get this year. You CAN'T be punished to death in front of the net anymore, it is not allowed. For the life of me I dont know why Frolov(or anyone) is not CONSTANTLY parked there on the PP, he should/does not have the fear of having shaft broken over his back anymore.

ILuvLA 01-02-2006 12:41 AM

Quote:

I do see your point, and it's a valid one, but I still feel the goaltender's restrictions limit the talent of the stickhandling goalie. I really love watching a guy like Brodeur play HIS game. I really hope this one is repealed.

Concur. Goalies who can stickhandle should not be penalized. Brodeur has been my favorite goalie for several years. He's now on the competition committee, so we might see the restrictions repealed. It would be a welcome sight.

johnjm22 01-02-2006 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7Seconds
This is what I dont get this year. You CAN'T be punished to death in front of the net anymore, it is not allowed. For the life of me I dont know why Frolov(or anyone) is not CONSTANTLY parked there on the PP, he should/does not have the fear of having shaft broken over his back anymore.

It seems like whenever Brown is on the PP, he finds a way to stay parked infront of the net.

Too bad he hardly ever gets any PP time.

braincramp 01-02-2006 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Overall, I could not be happier with the first half.

I expected the team to be in 4th to 6th place. They are in first.
I expected Roenick to be a huge part of this team. He has been everything but that and the team has not lost back to back games all year outside of the December skid.

Scoring:
I expected Bure to provide missing scoring depth of the past. I expected about 10 goals from him. Bure, Luc, and JR have a combined 11 goals and the team is 4th overall in goals scored.
Remember before the season started, we were trying to find room for all the forwards? A line of them hasn't produced and we are 4th in goals scored....wow.

Coaching:
The team is not showing the same issues game after game after game (sans the powerplay) The coaching staff is nipping problems in the bud. They can win games when the bounces aren't going their way. The players are playing hard. I am happy.

Goaltending:
Wow.

Our goaltending was supposed to be a question mark. I figuered it was at minimum and upgrade over Chechmanek. Garon and Labarbara are both hot at different times (which is a good problem) and both have stolen games for us.

Defense-
My motto before the season started was if they call the game they way they claimed, out D would be alright.
Dempsey has stunk up the ice and Weaver has shown he is a capable number 6. Thank god for a farm system, in past years this might have broke us.
Going forward, we need a D-man. We unfortunately need the toughest d-man to get, the dreaded 2 way d-man. We need another PP quarterback and we need someone with a mean streak to kick some ***. If we could merge Brendan Witt and Gonchar, we would be set.
Leetch would be the ideal deadline target.

Special teams-
Blahhh.

Our PP blows. But if the PP can be fixed and the team keeps up it's level of play five on five, this team could be deadly.

Our PP hasn't been the same since Deader went down. We need a Cicerelli, Homlstrom, John LeClair in front of the net forward who will take a beating for a goal. With the goalie screened and d-mn preoccupied at PP is soooo much more deadly.
I haven't watched Florida much, so I don't know how he looks, but this is where we go after the Gary Roberts of the past.

As stated about we also need a PP quarterback.

We should use the trading deadline to address our PP and PK. I think our PK is missing someone to clear the front of the net. Maybe we get 2 d-men at the deadline.

Great analysis!