HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Western Europe (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Great Britain: Hockey in Britain (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=207033)

J17 Vs Proclamation 01-01-2006 03:52 PM

Hockey in Britain

I love ice hockey, but i dont follow the game over here because it has low standards and just isnt popular at all. I only got into hockey because i got a demo for NHL 2000.

How is hockey progressing over here? Is it it growing in popularity or just struggling to really attract anyone. With the Racers folding, and from the sounds of it they wernt making any money with low attendances which doesnt sound to good.

Whats the young talent like now, are we devloping better hockey talent and is there anyone coming through who could be of north american standards? Even in the lockout the UK struggled to attract any major talent. Guys like Eric Cairns came over but they arent exactly wonderful players.
The only half decent young player i was aware of in this country was Stephen Wallace and Tom Duggan. How are they doing?

Thanks.

Steve L* 01-01-2006 11:54 PM

I live in Southampton and I think theres one rink within 50 miles of me, no wonder we suck so much because its impossible to actually play the game.

Gwyddbwyll 01-04-2006 12:42 PM

I dont know how the talent compares to past years but Im not optimistic. I did hear a few years ago that the British and German games were equal 10 years ago. Now look at where Germany is, compared to Britain - its embarrassing.

Tom Duggan is only 15 still. He's not in the country but at Shattuck St.Marys - very prestigious and expensive hockey school (have had Crosby, Jack Johnson, Parise and I think Toews too and many more). He's the 2nd highest scorer on his team.. I think last year he was 4th so perhaps that shows good progress. But he's not really being developed through British hockey at all.

I dont know how old Stephen Wallace is - 22 ? I think he's a pretyt decent goalie, like the many other decent ones we produce, but not elite.

Adam Walker and Tom Carlon are our bright new prospects really who may get a shot over the pond if a CHL or ECHL team notices them.

I heard Matt Myers may be going to America too though (think he's currently at university in Nottingham). There's also Kurt Reynolds and Joe Greener playing at lower levels so I guess we are getting stronger but very slowly and our overseas players have to pay for themselves to come back to play for us which is a bit ridiculous.

Gwyddbwyll 01-04-2006 12:51 PM

Reading GBSC (gbsc.co.uk) Adam Walker was IIHF's Forward of the tournament (WJC U20s) however the team voted Oliver Bronniman their MVP and the supporters club voted Shaun Thompson. Two names to add to the promising list ?

J17 Vs Proclamation 01-06-2006 12:16 PM

Thanks for the info, its damn hard to know found out any info about ice hockey over here.
What is Duggans ceiling? Perhaps an AHL'ER? I guess its to early to say with him, though he isnt gonna be a product of the british system but IMO if he is good enough to play over there, he should. Its gonna help his career rather than being coached over here.

1865 01-26-2006 03:52 PM

In Nottingham, junior hockey is coming along fairly well. The marketing throughout the city for the Panthers is a mile ahead of what it was and you'd struggle to find a sports fan who doesn't know anything about the team. We'll never become a major force in world hockey though...

ThorntonSamsonovfan 01-31-2006 01:06 AM

How much to people actually get payed in the British Elite Hockey League, can young British players make a decent living playing?

Juni 01-31-2006 04:57 AM

Very very little from knowledge I had of the London Racers. The players had rent free apartments and basic living expenses but their actual wage was very low, especially the young British players, Dobson, McGrath, Foord etc.

jumptheshark 04-13-2006 11:28 AM

Being a Canadian liing in London--and not having any arena's that is suitable for hockey sucks

Jazz 04-13-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark
Being a Canadian liing in London--and not having any arena's that is suitable for hockey sucks

Be a good Canadian and try to introduce the locals to hockey. Take them to games (that is usually all it takes). Even if the Racers are gone, take them to EPL games, such as the Guildford Flames etc....

hluraven 04-18-2006 08:06 AM

There are four senior hockey clubs playing in (greater) London, Romford in the EPL, and Haringey, Lee Valley and Streatham in the ENL. There are also about 4 or 5 within an hours drive of London at all levels of hockey

Flyer765 04-25-2006 02:24 PM

On the subject of English prospects does anyone know anything about Ben O'Conner '88 born playing for The Winsor Spitfires. Is he actually English, or was he just born here?

Hawkster 04-26-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedoruk_#29
On the subject of English prospects does anyone know anything about Ben O'Conner '88 born playing for The Winsor Spitfires. Is he actually English, or was he just born here?

He's very much English - He's only been in Canada since 2003.

He's represented Britain at his age group, too.

UK_Beatnik 05-04-2006 03:35 PM

I'm a Basingstoke Bison season ticket holder, have been for 15 seasons now, but am not sure whether I'll be able to afford the season ticket next year as I'm saving for our wedding.

slapshotflyer 05-15-2006 06:25 PM

I used to watch a lot of Blackburn Hawks hockey in the 90s, not seen anything since I moved to Manchester though with the problems at the Storm/Phoenix. Interesting to see Tony Hand has taken charge for the new season at the new rink in Altrincham, he's a bit of an British Hockey hero isn't he? I'd like to get down there to see a game but it's not looking likely.

#2eddieshore 05-26-2006 05:13 PM

Yeah British hockey is dire.

I'm a huge hockey fan but never really go to any British hockey games.

This is a good forum for British hockey.

www.thehockeyforum.com

BMann 05-27-2006 02:48 AM

Sport England need to provide more funds for junior programmes.There are sufficient rinks when compared to nations like Belarus.

Its just that kids need help to buy equipment & pay for travel to rinks.Then there is the need for better coaches at all age levels & a greater willingness on the part of British clubs to give British talent a chance.

This has to be the way to go.I'm sure we can improve over time.The experiment with flooding the NT with dual nationals was a short lived failure.I'd say given the crop of youngsters coming through we have a shot at entering the elite pool.

It would be advisable to get terrrestrial TV coverage for the league again to promote the sport & get kids away from football even if it only creates the desire to watch the game.

1865 06-14-2006 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #2eddieshore
Yeah British hockey is dire.

I'm a huge hockey fan but never really go to any British hockey games.

This is a good forum for British hockey.

www.thehockeyforum.com

Dire is a harsh word to use, but it isn't great. The problem is that there just isn't enough money in it. If all cities liked their hockey like Nottingham and Belfast there wouldn't be a problem :(

GB 06-29-2006 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newham
Dire is a harsh word to use, but it isn't great. The problem is that there just isn't enough money in it. If all cities liked their hockey like Nottingham and Belfast there wouldn't be a problem :(

Durham loved hockey, it was much more popular than in Nottingham, but still we lost our team. Whitley was always popular, but lack of money has seen them drop throught the leagues. Same with Dundee. The problem has been some really bad leadership over the last 20 or so years, IMO.

Evilo 06-30-2006 04:15 AM

Same problems here in France.
Rouen is the only team worth anything at the european level (and not much).

I hope Huet can have impact on it here in France, but I doubt it.

jumptheshark 07-27-2006 10:32 PM

it is starting to look like the London racers will not be returning at all now

mattihp 08-08-2006 07:09 AM

My sister lives in Leicester so I might go check out a Nottingham game someday in the future ^^

Jennifer 19 08-08-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 6234272)
My sister lives in Leicester

Kewl. I'm from Leicester.

GB 08-14-2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 6234272)
My sister lives in Leicester so I might go check out a Nottingham game someday in the future ^^

We've had this discussion before, I'm sure ;)

mattihp 08-14-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 6283665)
We've had this discussion before, I'm sure ;)

Yep :) but now my niece isn't in the diaper age anymore ^^