HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyers, others battling through adversity (Melrose) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=207990)

swflyers8* 01-04-2006 12:39 PM

Flyers, others battling through adversity (Melrose)

Quote:

The Good

Philadelphia continues to impress me. In the midst of a grueling 11-game road trip, the Flyers are still finding a way to win.

A big reason for the success is a group of young players that helped their injury-depleted team stay competitive. The team knew these youngsters would be good players, but it likely didn't think they'd be playing this much. Centers Jeff Carter (21 points), R.J. Umberger (15) and Mike Richards (19) have given the team strength down the middle. Goalie Antero Niittymaki has been solid in the place of the injured Robert Esche.

At the start of the season, the only players you heard about were Peter Forsberg and Simon Gagne. But now, no one will deny the depth the Flyers have. This new resource of wealth could also help Philadelphia at the trade deadline. I still think the Flyers need another goaltender -- they don't want to go into the playoffs with a rookie netminder, no matter how well Niittymaki is playing. With younger -- and cheaper -- players showing what they can do, it gives Philadelphia more options.

ESPN
We'll see what happens goalie wise, I think we are ok.

Jester 01-04-2006 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
We'll see what happens goalie wise, I think we are ok.

Melrose is an idiot...

dalessam 01-04-2006 12:51 PM

I've always hated Melrose. He always seems like he's out to get the Flyers. "They're good . . .BUT!" Always has to tack on something negative. Mostly about the goalie.

mercury 01-04-2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MjD0823
I've always hated Melrose. He always seems like he's out to get the Flyers. "They're good . . .BUT!" Always has to tack on something negative. Mostly about the goalie.

To be fair, the recent history of the Flyers is "They're good, BUT the goaltending. . ."

dalessam 01-04-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury
To be fair, the recent history of the Flyers is "They're good, BUT the goaltending. . ."

While that is true, it, to me anyway, always seems like Melrose can't fully commit himself to making an all-positive statement. He'll sit and praise the team for five minutes or so, then end with, "Yeah but, they'll never win a cup with Esche or Niittymaki." Just makes you go, "Gr! I hate you Melrose!" :madfire:

mercury 01-04-2006 01:48 PM

He is a dope. Hopefully, this will be the year we can make him shut up. Unfortunately, the razzing of the Flyers as regular season champs and 2nd or 3rd round chumps is legitimate until we at least get back to the Cup finals. The only things I see stopping us now are injuries and Chris Therien.

dalessam 01-04-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury
He is a dope. Hopefully, this will be the year we can make him shut up. Unfortunately, the razzing of the Flyers as regular season champs and 2nd or 3rd round chumps is legitimate until we at least get back to the Cup finals. The only things I see stopping us now are injuries and Chris Therien .

Well, once out D gets healthy we shouldn't have to worry about him anymore.

donelikedinner 01-04-2006 02:17 PM

melrose = biggest case of Flyers envy ever

pelts35.com 01-04-2006 02:35 PM

Like others, I can't stand Melrose at all. Let him go run his UHL franchise and never be heard from again.

What I would love for him to answer is, why does he think that they need another goalie? What weaknesses has Niittymaki shown that he can't carry this team to a Cup?

Is he saying the same thing about the other teams with rookie/young goalies who haven't proven anything at the NHL level yet?

Buffalo - Miller
Atlanta - Lehtonen (oh no, not the next greatest goalie to ever play, except that he has a glass groin)
Rangers - Lundqvist
Carolina - Gerber
LA - Garon/LaBarbera

FlyHigh 01-04-2006 02:40 PM

Nitty has carried his team to a Calder Cup Championship and I think he won a title or two in Finland. Melrose has no idea what he's talking about, people said the same thing about Esche.

dalessam 01-04-2006 02:49 PM

He says that a team can't win anything with unproven goaltending . . Well, how the hell is someone supposed to prove themselves when Melrose doesn't want him to have a chance? Ironic, no? :teach:

pelts35.com 01-04-2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MjD0823
He says that a team can't win anything with unproven goaltending . . Well, how the hell is someone supposed to prove themselves when Melrose doesn't want him to have a chance? Ironic, no? :teach:

I guess, in Melrose's eyes there wasn't a time when the likes of Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, etc were unproven?

Seems to me that Kiprussoff was unproven and carried the Flames to the finals and the year before that the Conn Smythe winner was J-S Giguere who was also unproven.

Gert B Frobe 01-04-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Nitty has carried his team to a Calder Cup Championship and I think he won a title or two in Finland. Melrose has no idea what he's talking about, people said the same thing about Esche.

and they were right

TheKingPin 01-04-2006 04:10 PM

give me a break. Nitty is fresh off a championship where h ewas great. Besides every year a Cinderalla team makes a run at the Cup behind a hot goalie. Jiggy, Kiprusof, etc. That team usually ends up losing because the team fails. We have a good team, we will have a great team when we get healthy and improve at the deadline. As long as Nitty gets hot we will win. A hot goalie is a neccessity to win Lord Stanley's Cup.

swflyers8* 01-04-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
and they were right

Were they? He only took his team to within 2 goals of a Cup Finals birth. Our team was only falling apart in front of him, but he had nothing to do with the Flyers getting to a game 7. :shakehead

FlyHigh 01-04-2006 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
and they were right

I disagree. The Flyers didn't qualify, but that's chalked up to woeful penalty killing, not Esche. And I know the goaltender is supposed to be your best penalty killer, but honestly, he was getting left out to dry.

Blame the injuries that took away Desjardins and Ragnarsson and crippled Johnsson.