HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Could Columbus have been better than us (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=208210)

Gnashville 01-04-2006 09:03 PM

Could Columbus have been better than us

Buccigross
Quote:

The Blue Jackets got a bad break when they didn't get within the top three picks of the 2000 draft lottery. They got the fourth pick and were left with Rostislav Klesla, who has underachieved so far. Scott Hartnell or Alexander Frolov would have been better picks in hindsight. In the 2001 draft, the Jackets had the eighth pick after the combination of going with too many veterans and playing very well in their home rink, which really rocks when the Columbus fans have something to cheer. The Blue Jackets took Pascal Leclaire, who has done little in his pro career. Remember, 2001 was the Kovalchuk-Spezza draft. Players picked after Leclaire: Dan Hamhuis, Ales Hemsky. In 2002, Doug MacLean made a great deal to get Nash, who is the best player of a very good draft. The 2003 draft was awesome, but Columbus, picking fourth, chose floater Nikolai Zherdev. They could have had Dion Phaneuf, Ryan Suter, Thomas Vanek, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler or Mike Richards. Columbus picked eighth overall in 2004 and sixth in 2005. Those players are too young to assess.
Other than a career AHL goalie who should change his 1st name to "the oft-injured", we have had some good 1st rounders compared to others.

Stars-Preds 01-04-2006 10:06 PM

As the saying goes hindsight is 20/20. Most thought Zherdev was a great pick up until this season and like Buccigross said a handful of the Columbus players are to young to write off already.

However, you have to feel great about the way Nashville has drafted:

1998: Legwand (underachieved as a No. 2 pick, but underrated as a player)
1999: Finley (whoops)
2000: Hartnell (great pick, terrific player)
2001: Hamhuis (an amazing pick considering where he was taken)
2002: Upshall (prob won't fulfill expectations, but looks good this season)
2003: Suter (looks to be a future All-star)
2004: Radulov (so far his progress is even better than expected)
2005: Parent (everyone says this pick is a steal too, hopefully all the wonderful things we've heard are true)

It's a good time to be a Preds fan!

CloakroomCrusader 01-05-2006 08:23 AM

Also, we built steadily thru the draft. Maybe if CBJ would've taken a page out of David Poile's book they would be as good as us. (I love saying that... still) They also haven't drafted as well as us. They have tried to build up their team with too many veterans.

triggrman 01-05-2006 08:32 AM

I think what the Predators have done well is selecting players that fit within our system. Poile has had a vision off what this team should be built like and laid the ground work from there.

David Singleton 01-05-2006 09:20 AM

I also like our coaching staff much better than Columbus' staff.

David

jstreet 01-05-2006 09:23 AM

I really expected the Jackets to be better this year, not as good as Nashville but much better than they are doing now.

I wonder where they would be right now if they had started the season with a healthy Nash and better production from Denis.

SmokeyClause 01-05-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars
I really expected the Jackets to be better this year, not as good as Nashville but much better than they are doing now.

I wonder where they would be right now if they had started the season with a healthy Nash and better production from Denis.

I expected them to be better, but this cannot come as a shock to many out there. You cannot rely on major free agents to perform. They just don't have a great success rate. When your two best Dman are Adam Foote (whose adaptation to the new NHL was in question once the rules were announced) and Bryan Berard, you aren't going to compete for the playoffs too often.

I thought they upgraded their D but the trade of Spacek for Berard was at best a lateral move and at worst a downgrade. That leaves them with only Foote as the upgrade. That's not a good D.

And their offense was pathetic last year and little was done to upgrade it at the seasons beginning. This was, in essence, the same team that finished near the bottom of the league offensively. How much better is Nash going to get? I could see him taking another step. But he's not going to get 20 more goals (which is what they need). Zherdev was where they thought the upgrade would be. But I postulated last season that he wouldn't be that great this year (I thought he would be better than he has been though). Last season, he came over the a CBJ team that was quickly falling out of the playoffs and he just had fun. Neither he nor Nash cared any about the defense. With a new season at hand and a desire to go to the playoffs, defense was going to be a focus for this team. And Zherdev has yet to change his style and has frustrated himself and the team. If CBJ reverted to their offense only style of the second half of last season, I think you'd see Zherdev's numbers pick way up.

And Denis is Denis. He wasn't going to step up too much more in my mind. Relying on a breakout year from 28 year old goaltender is questionable at best.

You combine all these with a head coach that is mediocre at best and a GM who has historically missed on UFA pickups and other acquisitions and you have a team set up for failure. They're a team that is realistically 10-15 games under .500, but with Nash injured, they are where they are.

jstreet 01-05-2006 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=SmokeyClause]I expected them to be better, but this cannot come as a shock to many out there. You cannot rely on major free agents to perform. They just don't have a great success rate. When your two best Dman are Adam Foote (whose adaptation to the new NHL was in question once the rules were announced) and Bryan Berard, you aren't going to compete for the playoffs too often.

I thought they upgraded their D but the trade of Spacek for Berard was at best a lateral move and at worst a downgrade. That leaves them with only Foote as the upgrade. That's not a good D.QUOTE]

what about Hulse-Delmore?!

seriously though, I have some weird sort of compassion for our expansion brethren. I hope they turn it around.

dulzhok 01-05-2006 11:27 AM

Poile (and co) have done a good job with our first round picks, especially considering that we've only had 1 top 5 pick in our history.

I don't consider the Finley pick that bad, considering that the people around him have done squat as well.

The Legwand pick wasn't horrible, considering the next guys haven't turned into great players either. Although we did give up a 2nd rd pick that turned into Chechoo.

The questionable ones are...

Upshall over Lupul.
Suter over Phanuef.

These players were rated about the same, and it appears that the we drafted the lesser option. But I don't consider them major blunders.

AdmiralPred 01-05-2006 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
Poile (and co) have done a good job with our first round picks, especially considering that we've only had 1 top 5 pick in our history.

I don't consider the Finley pick that bad, considering that the people around him have done squat as well.

I wouldn't either. His injury and his deteriorating confidence are things that you cannot predict at draft time. Not to mention the notoriously shallow class of 1999.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
The Legwand pick wasn't horrible, considering the next guys haven't turned into great players either. Although we did give up a 2nd rd pick that turned into Chechoo.

The questionable ones are...

Upshall over Lupul.
Suter over Phanuef.

These players were rated about the same, and it appears that the we drafted the lesser option. But I don't consider them major blunders.

In defense of Upshall over Lupul, as mentioned above, the Preds have done very well drafting players that fit a certain mold. Sure the GM might have been able to go out and grab the best player available, or THE highest CSB player at a position of need, but, at the time, Upshall probably fit their idea of another grit top 6 2-way FW who could skate, stickhandle, and hammer down in the corners whereas Lupul may not have been that guy for them because he doesn't have the defensive game that Scottie does.

As for Suter over Phanuef, it may have been an offensive decision. Isn't Suter more of an offensive D-man than Dion? Better Skater?

RandV 01-05-2006 01:22 PM

That's why I like the Preds. They've done a great job building through the draft without relying on 'lottery pick' players. The top 3 or 4 picks are usually pre-determined and pretty much a crapshoot, which is why I don't have much respect for teams like Atlanta who fluke out and get Heatley/Kovalchuk/Lehtonen in consecutive years. Especially being a Canucks fan, as our team like Nashville has never had that lottery luck.

CloakroomCrusader 01-05-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralPred
As for Suter over Phanuef, it may have been an offensive decision. Isn't Suter more of an offensive D-man than Dion? Better Skater?

No, Phaneuf is more of an all-around defenseman. Suter is a great stay-at-home defenseman. If I'm not mistaken he only has 1 goal this year.

DougKnowsBest 01-05-2006 05:58 PM

I think Phaneuf is a hell of a player. I love his solid game. But, I'll stand by Zherdev. He COULD turn out to be out of this world. He is still a prospect, heck he has played less than 82 games total. give the kid a chance.

As far as Klesla, if you saw him play this year you would be amazed.

triggrman 01-05-2006 07:15 PM

Actually Phaneuf at the time of the draft was looked at as more of a physical stay-at-home guy, he's offense bloomed the year after the draft.

Suter was billed as more of a two-way player like Hamhuis, which seems to fit Poile's mold more, besides they took Weber 2nd round in that same draft who was billed like Phaneuf as a stay-at-home physical hockey player, now it seems as Shea also has a pretty good offensive game to go along with being a physical beast, not that I think Weber is in Phaneuf league. No one blamed Poile for taken Suter, it was and is still a good pick.