HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings guest commentator...Cuba Gooding Jr. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=208455)

Captain Ron 01-05-2006 03:20 PM

Kings guest commentator...Cuba Gooding Jr.

He will help "call the action" tonight during the second period of the Kings / Coyotes game. I think it will be interesting. :)

Reaper45 01-05-2006 03:23 PM

Back when I had season seats for the Ice Dogs, Cuba was a regular. One night he got extremely ****faced in the bar. I went to take a leak and in comes Cuba, and the dude pisses himself. I like him ebcause he's an actual hockey fan, but man, he's a funny drunk.

TubbyTerrion* 01-05-2006 03:35 PM

You can see Cuba virtually every Sunday eating breakfast at the Good Neighbor restaurant on Cahuenga Blvd. West as you head into Studio City...

Captain Ron 01-05-2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
Back when I had season seats for the Ice Dogs, Cuba was a regular. One night he got extremely ****faced in the bar. I went to take a leak and in comes Cuba, and the dude pisses himself. I like him ebcause he's an actual hockey fan, but man, he's a funny drunk.

Do you think he will be drunk when he is on tonight? That would be awesome!:yo:

TonySCV 01-05-2006 03:52 PM

Count me among the "could care less" crowd and the "I hope he's not on for more than a minute or two" crowd.

We had Beninati for 60 minutes... isn't that punishment enough?

Old Hickory 01-05-2006 03:55 PM

Cuba is a big time hockey fan.

I see him all the time at prospects camp.

Captain Ron 01-05-2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV
Count me among the "could care less" crowd and the "I hope he's not on for more than a minute or two" crowd.

What not much of a Cuba fan? What about Van Damme or Chuck Norris? Would that be exciting for you?;)

kingsfan25 01-05-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongebob
Do you think he will be drunk when he is on tonight? That would be awesome!:yo:

Maybe he'll piss on Bob Miller.

TonySCV 01-05-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongebob
What not much of a Cuba fan? What about Van Damme or Chuck Norris? Would that be exciting for you?;)

I like Cuba... but I like Bob Miller more. :)

Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing from Gooding Jr., or from Kiefer Sutherland - who is also a regular at Kings games. The part I don't like is when they do the interviews DURING the game. Do them during Break the Ice or intermissions - not during the game.

Anyone remember when the NHL Director of Officials joined Bob and Jim in the booth during the 2nd period in Chicago? They rambled on FOREVER while the game was going on. Annoying as hell.

Captain Ron 01-05-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

I like Cuba... but I like Bob Miller more. :)

Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing from Gooding Jr., or from Kiefer Sutherland - who is also a regular at Kings games. The part I don't like is when they do the interviews DURING the game. Do them during Break the Ice or intermissions - not during the game.

Anyone remember when the NHL Director of Officials joined Bob and Jim in the booth during the 2nd period in Chicago? They rambled on FOREVER while the game was going on. Annoying as hell.

True, but from my understanding Cuba is there to assist Bob and Jim not do a 20 minute interview.:dunno:

two out of three* 01-05-2006 04:08 PM

This guy's a bandwagoner. I remember when the Ducks went to the playoffs he was screaming "Lets Get Jiggy With It" when ESPN showed him in the crowd.

Puffo 01-05-2006 05:41 PM

So, speaking about celebritys: Is Daron Malakian (guitarist/singer of System Of A Down) going to Kings games? I've seen him with a Kings jersey in their "Toxicity" video, a Kings sweater when they recorded "Prison Song" and he is thanking L.A. Kings in the album booklet.

Reaper45 01-05-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffo
So, speaking about celebritys: Is Daron Malakian (guitarist/singer of System Of A Down) going to Kings games? I've seen him with a Kings jersey in their "Toxicity" video, a Kings sweater when they recorded "Prison Song" and he is thanking L.A. Kings in the album booklet.

I saw him at a few games a looong time ago, but I do believe that the touring aspect prevents him from going to games a lot.

THEKingsFanInRI 01-05-2006 06:27 PM

Quote:

When I found out that Joe Benenati was doing the game Monday I was glad that the snow knocked out my satellite. He just might be the worst announcer in the NHL. He is so bad that he makes Dale Arnold of the Bruins sound like Dick Irvin.

Osprey 01-05-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiesRLikeWins4Us
This guy's a bandwagoner. I remember when the Ducks went to the playoffs he was screaming "Lets Get Jiggy With It" when ESPN showed him in the crowd.

Perhaps he's a fan of the sport and SoCal hockey and wants to use his celebrity to introduce more kids in the L.A. area to hockey. What's so wrong with promoting the sport, even if it's by affiliating oneself with more than one team?

two out of three* 01-05-2006 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey
Perhaps he's a fan of the sport and SoCal hockey and wants to use his celebrity to introduce more kids in the L.A. area to hockey. What's so wrong with promoting the sport, even if it's by affiliating oneself with more than one team?

I was actually joking.

Osprey 01-05-2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiesRLikeWins4Us
I was actually joking.

Oh, ok. You fooled me.

PSP 01-05-2006 10:46 PM

OK, I've had enough Cuba......

I think having one of the more knowledgeable posters from here sit in would be interesting - Tubby or Osprey could definitely do it.

willie 01-05-2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSP
OK, I've had enough Cuba......

I think having one of the more knowledgeable posters from here sit in would be interesting - Tubby or Osprey could definitely do it.

Of course your selections come from the "PSP school of hockey thought"... ;)

But, yeah, Cuba sucks. This is the kind of gimmick that reeks of BettmanCo marketing.

Ziggy Stardust 01-05-2006 10:59 PM

I wonder if this was an idea brought onto by Bruce McNall? He loved surrounding the Kings with celebrities.

Osprey 01-05-2006 11:11 PM

I liked it. He cracks me up. Miller would be more fun to listen to if he, too, called the players "cats" and "dogs" once in a while :biglaugh:

Captain Ron 01-05-2006 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey
I liked it. He cracks me up. Miller would be more fun to listen to if he, too, called the players "cats" and "dogs" once in a while :biglaugh:

That's what I'm talkin about!

TubbyTerrion* 01-06-2006 12:13 AM

I thought he sounded like a functional illiterate, and that there was a reason he went to four high schools throughout Southern California. Brutha needs some biscuits for his basket or sumthin'... Please, no more.

tc 01-06-2006 12:29 AM

I liked him and thought it was a nice one time change of pace.

Beauty, eh? 01-06-2006 12:32 AM

I thought they should have introduced the segment as "Hip Hop Hockey."

Word.