HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Steve Downie is money in the bank (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=208636)

Chainsaw 01-06-2006 01:22 AM

Steve Downie is money in the bank

Watching the World Juniors first hand, Im loving Steve Downie. This guy can pass and he can draw penalties like crazy. He scored the game winners in both the semi and tonights gold medal game. He is a big time player just to add to our list of young stars

The Kingslayer 01-06-2006 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver_Flyers_fan
Watching the World Juniors first hand, Im loving Steve Downie. This guy can pass and he can draw penalties like crazy. He scored the game winners in both the semi and tonights gold medal game. He is a big time player just to add to our list of young stars

I saw just about the funniest thing with downie when he was getting ready to take a draw against Rob Shremp...if you watched the game you should remember what happened. :biglaugh:

Vikke 01-06-2006 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice berg slim
I saw just about the funniest thing with downie when he was getting ready to take a draw against Rob Shremp...if you watched the game you should remember what happened. :biglaugh:

I just know that Schremp got tossed from the faceoff because he slashed Downie. ;)

Flyguy_1ca 01-06-2006 01:54 AM

Being that I'm Canadian and was cheering for them, I loved watching downie too...but to be honest...he does remind me of Darcy Tucker. I know I'll get bashed for this...but I don't think Downie is above diving and being border line dirty much like Tucker. Having said that, Downie is all heart and will work his butt off (not saying tucker doesn't)..so that might help cope with the fact he's kinda like Tucker.

FlyersGuy69 01-06-2006 02:02 AM

well, I knew absolutely nothing about Downie prior to the draft but I just remember Holmgren and Clarke smiling ear to ear about being able to trade all the way back and still get him.

I did not defend nor bash the pick but put my trust in Clarke and his scouts. others, who think they are pro scouts here on the message board really slammed Clarke for selecting him. the funny thing is, these guys aren't talkin trash too much now.

looks like another great pick by the Flyers. :clap:

GKJ 01-06-2006 05:56 AM

Bob Clarke strikes again. Just by making was impressive for Downie, especially sine McArdle, who Florida picked in our spot, did not make the team (and I would have been perfectly fine with McArdle over Downie)

GKJ 01-06-2006 06:16 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_sto...name=world_jrs

Quote:

Rask and Malkin were also named to the media all-star team, as were defenceman Luc Bourdon and forward Steve Downie of Canada.

Downie, a first-round 2005 selection (29th overall) of the Philadelphia Flyers, had two goals and six assists including the winning goal in the final.

After the game, the Peterborough Petes forward had a chance to admire the Tissot watch he received for being named to the all-star team.

''I didn't even know what it was for,'' Downie said. ''I just heard my name and I went up there.

''It's a bonus.''

He said the award could have gone to several other of his teammates.

''I didn't even think about that,'' he said. ''We won the gold.

''There's no individuals in that room. I can't take any credit. It's a team game. It was a whole team effort.''

donelikedinner 01-06-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyguy_1ca
Being that I'm Canadian and was cheering for them, I loved watching downie too...but to be honest...he does remind me of Darcy Tucker. I know I'll get bashed for this...but I don't think Downie is above diving and being border line dirty much like Tucker. Having said that, Downie is all heart and will work his butt off (not saying tucker doesn't)..so that might help cope with the fact he's kinda like Tucker.

he plays tough and with all his heart

i think a better player comparison would be Tocchet. Downie plays tough, he'll make and take a hit and with a great coach like Hitch to further mould him, he will be a great steal.

FlyersGuy69 01-06-2006 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donelikedinner
e plays tough and with all hear

i think a better player comparison would be Tocchet. Downie plays tough, he'll make and take a hit and with a great coach like Hitch to further mould him, he will be a great steal.

thats who Holmgren compared him too. that would be awsome if he turned out as good as Tocchet.

BobbyClarkeFan16 01-06-2006 09:02 AM

This kid is gonna be really good when he gets to Philadelphia. Give him another year of junior hockey playing in Peterborough and another WJC to really step his game up another level. It's hard to believe that Steve was only going to be the 13th forward with Team Canada and he probably came away with being Team Canada's best forward. I'll even go so far as to say that he was probably the tournament's best forward in terms of overall package. Yes, Malkin and Kessel were great offensively, but they only had two more points than Steve.

Just another great pick by Bobby Clarke and the scouting staff in Philadelphia. I'm looking forward to seeing if they're going to do another off the board type pick this year of if they're going to stick pretty straight forward to the CSB consensus.

BloodOnTheIce 01-06-2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Bob Clarke strikes again. Just by making was impressive for Downie, especially sine McArdle, who Florida picked in our spot, did not make the team (and I would have been perfectly fine with McArdle over Downie)

Agreed I was actually ticked they did take McArdle
Still wish they would have taken Latendresse at the 41st

But I am very happy Dowie seemed to get himself together after the Spits and is turning into a valuable prospect.

Alter Haudegen 01-06-2006 09:41 AM

Nice article about Downie from the Vancouver Sun:

Guts and glory - Steve Downie was the embodiment of Team Canada's game

Jester 01-06-2006 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
This kid is gonna be really good when he gets to Philadelphia. Give him another year of junior hockey playing in Peterborough and another WJC to really step his game up another level. It's hard to believe that Steve was only going to be the 13th forward with Team Canada and he probably came away with being Team Canada's best forward. I'll even go so far as to say that he was probably the tournament's best forward in terms of overall package. Yes, Malkin and Kessel were great offensively, but they only had two more points than Steve.

Just another great pick by Bobby Clarke and the scouting staff in Philadelphia. I'm looking forward to seeing if they're going to do another off the board type pick this year of if they're going to stick pretty straight forward to the CSB consensus.

clarkie has been stockpiling picks... i'd wager we're looking at another draft where he tries to trade up and get a playmaker.

Roger's Pancreas* 01-06-2006 09:57 AM

Downie's GWG made TSNs highlight of the night on the website.

FearTheFlyers 01-06-2006 10:22 AM

He's a major *******. I"ll find it hard to cheer for him.

Raging Bull 01-06-2006 10:33 AM

Very nice pick by Clarke, I absolutley love the kid. Reminds me of Tuckers preformance in the 1995 WJC's.

I don't know if he has the offensive upside that Tucker did, but he is still a very nice pick.

MojoJojo 01-06-2006 10:42 AM

Its going to be nuts now that Downie will be a Flyer and Malkin a Penguin. Those two are going to be at it for a long, long time. At the time of the draft I was a little disapointed that Clarke seemed to go with a dirty grinder rather than a pure skill scorer. Seems we got both now. And I dont mind the comparison to Darcy Tucker. DT is a POS, but he helps win hockey games and a lot of his antics are allowed by the coaching staff. Given some discipline, a player with Downie's instincts could be a huge assett.

greatwhite101* 01-06-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Its going to be nuts now that Downie will be a Flyer and Malkin a Penguin. Those two are going to be at it for a long, long time. At the time of the draft I was a little disapointed that Clarke seemed to go with a dirty grinder rather than a pure skill scorer. Seems we got both now. And I dont mind the comparison to Darcy Tucker. DT is a POS, but he helps win hockey games and a lot of his antics are allowed by the coaching staff. Given some discipline, a player with Downie's instincts could be a huge assett.

I was also disapointed when Clarke drafted him. Not anymore. We will see this guy real soon. I'd love to see him pushing around Crosby. They are both the same size. I'd have to say Crosby is a bit shiftier player.

Pantokrator 01-06-2006 11:58 AM

I was pleased with the pick, mainly because I felt he would be a sure-fire NHLer with his attitude. I had him projected as a third line banging winger. I would rather obtain a player in the late 1st round who is likely to play, albeit on the third line than a player who has potential upside, but may never amount to anything. The way things are going now, perhaps he could be a second liner?

As a pessimist, I hate to say it, but I am gaining a lot of respect for the Flyers drafting, especially of first rounders. I used to dread their picks, like Jason Bowen, thinking that they would always choose size over ability, but lately, the picks have been decent. I was not pleased at all with the Jeff Carter pick, but I was way off on that one. I am still not too thrilled about the 2004 acquisitions, but I didn't expect much with picking so low and in a poor draft year.

looooob 01-06-2006 12:05 PM

great pick for you guys. I was really hoping the Flames would take him, thought D Sutter would be able to get the most from him. apparently Sutter did consider taking him, and as you may know Sutter apparently would have taken Richards high in 03 had Phaneuf not been there. appears Clarke and Sutter may like the same types of players

Philly Flyer Fan* 01-06-2006 01:07 PM

Steve Downie is GOD! This guy does it all! A sure shoe in for another Flyers jersey to add to my collection!

Can't wait to see him up with the big boys. Probably 2 years away............what do you think?

Congrats to Mr. Downie for helping Team Canada win Gold, congarts to Mr. Clarke & Holmgren for picking up a stud like him!!!!!!

The future of the Flyers is looking damn bright!

easton122 01-07-2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou

I'm glad I took him off your hands ;)

#66 01-07-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou

Maybe that'll change when he's on your team. Alot of kids get pegged as agitators but never come through. With this kid, its in his blood and I hate him already. As a non-Flyers fan thats a great thing for you guys.

FlyerFanLWB 01-07-2006 06:26 PM

hope to see this kid with the flyers by 08

SheroWorship 01-08-2006 09:23 AM

No minor leager is money in the bank. He's promising... but after seeing so many 'can't miss' prospects over the years...

I really hope he makes it, and is Tocchet like.

I'll settle for Flockhart like... and put him on the 3rd line.