HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   After game thoughts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=20874)

Mathieu Lavergne 10-18-2003 04:47 PM

After game thoughts
 
Toronto vs. Montreal

Box Score
Oct 18, 2003
Box Score

NHL FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
TORONTO 1 0 0 1
MONTREAL 0 0 0 0 FINAL

GOAL SCORING:

1ST PRD: TOR - (PP) RICHARD JACKMAN 1 (TOMAS KABERLE, MIKAEL RENBERG)
14:22
2ND PRD: NONE
3RD PRD: NONE

POWER-PLAY CONVERSIONS: TOR - 1 OF 7, MON - 0 OF 3.

SHOTS ON GOAL: 1ST 2ND 3RD TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
TOR 7 14 4 25
MON 6 7 2 15

THREE STARS

1ST ED BELFOUR
2ND JOSÉ THEODORE
3RD RICHARD JACKMAN

GOALIES: TOR - ED BELFOUR
MON - JOSE THEODORE

OFFICIALS: REF - DAN ''WHERE WERE YOU DAN'' O'HALLORAN, PAUL ''BRUTAL CALLS'' DEVORSKI
LIN - ANTHONY SERICOLO, GREG DEVORSKI

ATT: 21,273

Nielson81 10-18-2003 04:52 PM

Theodore should have been named 1st star, I know the goalie with the shutout usually get's it but Belfour only face 15 shots tonight and made 1 big save Theodore on the other hand almost single handedly won this game for the Habs.

Theodore is looking awesome this year....SAKU hurry back man.

Unbiased Canadian

MontrealSF 10-18-2003 04:54 PM

- Habs are playing a much better defensive game than last year, what a difference Souray's making + the absence of the 2 scrubs....

- Theodore definitely wants another Vezina, he's back in form baby !

- The Leafs didn't impressed me at all, Nolan and Nieuwendyk are old and useless, they were invisible during this game.

- Roberts is scared of Brisebois, what a shock :yo:

- Koivu is coming back Monday, I feel it, as Hainsey.

Emule Richard 10-18-2003 05:01 PM

I thought we really missed Hainsey tonight...and that's a good thing! I have been really impressed with his play all season, and his break-out passes have had a major impact on the team's transition game. Nonetheless...i think penalties took the flow out of the game, so Montreal didn't play great in particular...though Theo is back, no question! Also, I think Perreault is faster this year.

KnuklZ 10-18-2003 05:08 PM

I think it was a solid effort tonight but I think the Habs lost some steam when Ryder and Audette colided and of course Ward hitting everything in sight...unfortunately with a high stick :dunno:

Looking at the chances for both teams the score could have easily been 4:1 for the Leafs if it werent for Theodore. He really kept us in the game and I was hoping until the final whistle that we can get a goal but we didn't really have that many good shots on goal (I could probably count 6 or 7 from the Leafs that were very dangerous).

Overall the Leafs played a much better game than last saturday and caused alot of turn-overs by putting pressure on our defense. Talking about defense I wasnt too happy with Quintals effort as he caughed up the puck quite often...I dont know why he plays the PK.

Its strange that the checking line generated the biggest chances in the game and our scoring lines were pretty quiet:

Perrault line: 0 shots!
Riberio line: 2 shots!
Juneau line: 6 shots

2 shots for both scoring lines combined is far too little but then again if you spend half the time with your PK units on the ice its no wonder :mad:

Dont think we should be too dissapointed...season is still young...we are still miles better than last year :yo:

didjuicythat 10-18-2003 05:08 PM

Our offense wasn't nearly as dangerous as it was in this week's previous games. The passes were not accurate, the powerplay unit was very weak, and we never managed to get by the Toronto defensemen to create scoring chances. Also, most of the guys looked nervous out there, and played without any conviction. Perhaps Saku's on Monday return will bring to some players their confidence back.

Guys that looked impressive: Theodore, Bulis and Brisebois.

Bulis had quite a few scoring chances, and was among the only forwards that were easily noticeable out there. It seems to me like the coaching staff also noticed his good work, as he got lots of ice time in the last period, including in the late stages of the game, with Perreault and Audette. I think Koivu's return in the line up will help Jan regaining his confidence and scoring his first goal. He sure showed encouraging signs tonight, and sent the coaching staff a message, which spells he's ready for 1st and 2nd line duties.

To me, what was more impressive in Breezer's play tonight was, strangly, his defensive game. He played well along the boards, and used his *strenght* quite a few times to block his opponant and take control of the puck along the boards. Didn't make as much boneheaded plays as he made in the past. Patrice was definatly our most reliable defenseman tonight. Maybe the fact that he's not Assistant-captain anymore releases pressure on his shoulders, and allows him to focus a 100% on his game. I liked what I saw from him and Souray, when paired together throughout the game.

Theo made wonderful stops, and confirmed what we thought; he's back in shape and he's sharp. He is amazingly quick with his pads, and seems confident in front of his net. His reflexes are among the bests in the league, if not the best. All the outdoor training he had throughout the summer helped him a lot, and you could tell from the start of the season he came in camp a 100% ready.

Most other guys looked rather unimpressive, to me. Ward was unlucky, as 2 or all of his penalties weren't intentionnal. Quintal was decent on the PK unit. Zednik was very selfish tonight. Begin delivered some good hits, but he's nothing special.

Histrion 10-18-2003 05:09 PM

What sinked us tonight was our unability to make the simple plays, the simple passes, Ryder and Zednik played like puckhog at some points of the game where they really needed to pass and that killed some potential scoring chances. The penalty also killed our scoring chances, like this penalty in the offensive zone which was nothing short of useless and stupid.

All in all, it wasn't such a bad game for the team, and Theodore made some nice saves, he kept us into the game, giving us the chance to win it all night long, we just couldn't bury it. Belfour wasn't bad either, eh !

PrairieHabber 10-18-2003 05:10 PM

This was a very frustrating game to watch. The Habs didn't have enough jump most of the night...just the opposite of last Saturday's game against the Leafs. They didn't look sharp at all. I thought to myself tonight that when the Habs win and Ribeiro gets some points his inability to win face-offs is a concern for a moment...on a night like this it becomes something that needs to be addressed asap. Also, foolish penalties (some questionable but the Habs took some dumb ones too) cost them a lot of time and possible momentum tonight. Theodore was perhaps the only player who really played well tonight.

Nielson81 10-18-2003 05:17 PM

I think we have to be happy with a 3-2 with Koivu out of the lineup, hopefully he is back against Detroit!!

I think our lines with Saku in the lineup should be

Bulis - Koivu - Ward
Hossa - Ribiero - Zednik
Ryder - Perrault - Audette
Dackell - Juneau - Langdon/Begin/Kilger when he returns.

What do you guys think?

Unbiased Canadian

Guy! 10-18-2003 05:18 PM

Bob Gainey will not be impressed.

When he stepped in as GM of this team, his goal was to see each player working constantly and for each of them to have accountability for his actions. With the poor performance given by a number of Habs, this effort will greatly annoy the man who never took a shift off.

Certainly, kudos go to the Buds who played a much more disciplined and structured game than last time. The effort given by the dreaded blue-and-whites was infinitely better than the debacle with which they opened their season, however the Habs did not reciprocate in effort tonight, instead putting in long stretches of lacklustre performance.

It was a case of weak offence on weak defence and stronger offence on stronger defence. The Habs lack of talent up front easily hampered by a suspect defensive corps that relies on Kaberle, easily one of the weakest number one's in hockey.

~~

Notes:

Theo: Kept us in the game, though it has to be said, he probable felt he had to after letting in that goal. Still and all, he played an excellent game positionally allowing the Habs the opportinity to make something of it. A-

Bouillon: For someone who supposedly had a great camp and was ready to be a full-time NHLer, I wasn't impressed - as I usually am by him. He made numerous errors and was quite often caught flat-footed. B-

Brisebois: Impressive. Finally a coach who insists he sticks to the basis and look what you get: a solid defenseman who can also contribute offensively. A-

Rivet: Solid play, including a number of offensive rushes that really looks good in his game. Still has a tendency to get a little behind defensively, however all in all, he played a good game. B+

Markov: Felt the pressure more tonight than he has all season and aquitted himself well. Moves the puck quickly and positionally is excellent. A

Quintal: Will the real Stephane please stand up? Tonight, instead of a comedy of errors, we got to witness a series of excellent defensive plays. Don't pick up a ticket for Montreal yet, Komi. A

Souray: Another extremely solid game. What pleases me most is the fact that he's not just a defensive defender, but creates a lot of offensive opportunities. Extremely good at picking his spots. A

Ward: *sighs* AHL quality game all the way. Overpursuit, poor handling of his stick...a really sub-par game. We begin to see that when he was put in last year, it was his effort that made him look so good. In a pro system with pro players, he's just outclassed. C-

Begin: Wonderful play and two old-time hockey hits. He's a pest, super quick on his skates, and causes no end of trouble for the defence. Best part is he can play it himself. A-

Sundstrom: Aside from the first shift of the game, he might as well have stayed home. His minimal PK time could easily have been filled by someone else. C-

Juneau: I'm just waiting to see more people bash him. Love to see how they explain how bad he is after first marking Mario out, then doing the same against Sundin. A

Dackell: Good game at both ends of the rink, though his offensive contributions were sporadic tonight. B+

Bulis: Best Hab forward by a country mile. Used his speed to great advantage and unfortunately failed to convert on his numerous chances. Anyone fancy a Ryder - Koivu - Bulis line? A+

Audette: What to say? He looks like he's working hard, but nothing happens. He tended to lose the puck more often than anything tonight. B-

Perreault: Basically invisible, and that doesn't auger well. He centred a pretty much useless line tonight, and didn't put in half the effort he's been putting in recently. C+

Ryder: Interesting to see how he bounces back after this one - by far his worst game. His skating seemed half-speed and he wasn't a threat until the third. Then again, maybe the killer hit he took from Audette had something to do with it. B-

Hossa: Well, if he continues to improve each game as he has, we're in for a treat. Tonight he was dominant in the corners and looked like an actual offensive threat. A-

Ribeiro: Aside from one or two flashy shifts, he was basically invisible tonight. The much bigger Leafs kept him pinned and marked out for the most part and he didn't seem to have the same will to get out of it. B

Zednik: Still holding on to the puck way too long, but at least he's trying to create something. If he's going to be better, however, he's going to have to work harder off the puck. B

~~

I just pray that there's no whining from the Montrealais about the reffing tonight. Toronto actually played a far more disciplined game, and I don't think the calls were that off-base. On the other hand, is there a team in pro sport that complain as much as the Leafs do on EVERY CALL? They all take after Pat Quinn, who is rapidly working himself into the position of the most classless coach in hockey.

If Sax is ready for Monday's game against the Wings, I don't suppose we'll hear too much whining about mixing up the lines after tonights game. We really could have used his flash and dazzle tonight. We could also have used Langdon's fists in Sundin's face - perhaps the most classless player in hockey.

I suspect there'll be some lineup changes before Detroit gets here; let's see how we match up against a team with both a real offence and a real defence (not like TO). It's going to take a much better team effort to be successful then.

A concerned fan.

Masao 10-18-2003 05:18 PM

The Canadiens proved early this season that they can play well when they're leading.

Now they proved again that they tend to give up as soon as they're trailing. This team never came back when trailing after two periods at all last year and they're showing why.

Kerberos* 10-18-2003 05:35 PM

The leafs won because they were in the Hab's faces all night long and the habs players had to rush their plays. Montreal should have responded by regrouping and bringing the forwards and defensemen together but instead they just threw the puck away all night or tried the long pass. How many times did I see Bulis or Zednik alone in the offensive zone getting pushed off the puck by three leafs forwards. Oh well, I hope they learn from their mistakes and put together a better effort against the mighty Red Wings.

hockey_nut 10-18-2003 05:36 PM

no shots = no win

we didn't shoot the puck enough... lesson to be learned

RE-HABS 10-18-2003 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awesome`
What sinked us tonight was our unability to make the simple plays, the simple passes, Ryder and Zednik played like puckhog at some points of the game where they really needed to pass and that killed some potential scoring chances. The penalty also killed our scoring chances, like this penalty in the offensive zone which was nothing short of useless and stupid.

All in all, it wasn't such a bad game for the team, and Theodore made some nice saves, he kept us into the game, giving us the chance to win it all night long, we just couldn't bury it. Belfour wasn't bad either, eh !

I don't think that was a problem at all and I really didn't see too much of that at all, we played like we did last year not enough shots and Ryder and Zed were trying to that...where was Hossa tonight??? He was missing in action, Julien should have kept Hainsey in the line up over Bouillion too, we were aweful passing and carrying the puck out of our own end. Thank god for Theo standing on his head, and Belfour had a "Horse Shoe" on some shots tonight too.

IMO niether team really played well enough to win, but Toronto was luck enough to get the goal that mattered. Julien has to work on his team offence and the other guys like Hossa, Sundstrum and Ward have to show up more and Ward has to really control that stick of his, I don't know if it is because of his unorthadox style of skating but he is going to get labeled in this league and targeted by refs if he keeps it up.

Great game by Bulis and Theo, Ryder and his line had a solid third period but that collison really took that line out of the game and kind of deflated the team as a whole...a couple more calls our way may have been benifical.

Can't win them all, but you hate to lose to the Leafs.

Kerberos* 10-18-2003 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_nut
no shots = no win

we didn't shoot the puck enough... lesson to be learned

True, but the problem of no shots originated from having no two passes one after the other on the part of the habs forward. This originated from the leaf's intense forechecking all night long.

TwineSniper 10-18-2003 05:47 PM

With his performance tonight, I think Jason Ward has earned himself a ticket to Hamilton, when Koivu returns, IMO.

Kirk Muller 10-18-2003 05:52 PM

It was a very frustrating game to watch, a lot of clutching and grabbing, and any time Montreal started to get momentum, Jason Ward took a careless penalty.

Bulis is in need of playing on the top lines, his speed and energy is being wasted on the third line. Juneau and Dackell simply can't keep up with him and are holding him back.

The Ryder, Perreault, Audette line doesn't work. I know they picked up some points in the previous games, but creativity is not there. The need for Koivu's vision and playmaking was very apparent tonight. Whether its a line of Ryder, Koivu, and Bulis, or Audette, Bulis, Koivu, or whatever way Julien decides, IMO they need to be split up. Personally I think Ryder and Perreault seem to fit. Flame away on this because I know people will disagree.

Quintal has lost another step. Although he looked weak last year in the first 10 games or so, hopefully he can turn it around. Theodore saved his butt on the PK when he couldn't clear the puck.

Bouillon didn't very good. Some very bad decisions in the defensive zone causing headaches. He is not very good at moving the puck along the boards and finding the breakout winger.

Aside from the bad penalties, I thought Ward had a solid game. He laid out some decent hits, played well on the PK. He is a decent third liner at this level.

The PP was brutal. Didn't generate scoring chances. Again Koivu's absence was showing, they couldn't get set up.

Anyhow just some of my observations.

leaflover 10-18-2003 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy!
Bob Gainey will not be impressed.

When he stepped in as GM of this team, his goal was to see each player working constantly and for each of them to have accountability for his actions. With the poor performance given by a number of Habs, this effort will greatly annoy the man who never took a shift off.

Certainly, kudos go to the Buds who played a much more disciplined and structured game than last time. The effort given by the dreaded blue-and-whites was infinitely better than the debacle with which they opened their season, however the Habs did not reciprocate in effort tonight, instead putting in long stretches of lacklustre performance.

It was a case of weak offence on weak defence and stronger offence on stronger defence. The Habs lack of talent up front easily hampered by a suspect defensive corps that relies on Kaberle, easily one of the weakest number one's in hockey.

~~

Notes:

Theo: Kept us in the game, though it has to be said, he probable felt he had to after letting in that goal. Still and all, he played an excellent game positionally allowing the Habs the opportinity to make something of it. A-

Bouillon: For someone who supposedly had a great camp and was ready to be a full-time NHLer, I wasn't impressed - as I usually am by him. He made numerous errors and was quite often caught flat-footed. B-

Brisebois: Impressive. Finally a coach who insists he sticks to the basis and look what you get: a solid defenseman who can also contribute offensively. A-

Rivet: Solid play, including a number of offensive rushes that really looks good in his game. Still has a tendency to get a little behind defensively, however all in all, he played a good game. B+

Markov: Felt the pressure more tonight than he has all season and aquitted himself well. Moves the puck quickly and positionally is excellent. A

Quintal: Will the real Stephane please stand up? Tonight, instead of a comedy of errors, we got to witness a series of excellent defensive plays. Don't pick up a ticket for Montreal yet, Komi. A

Souray: Another extremely solid game. What pleases me most is the fact that he's not just a defensive defender, but creates a lot of offensive opportunities. Extremely good at picking his spots. A

Ward: *sighs* AHL quality game all the way. Overpursuit, poor handling of his stick...a really sub-par game. We begin to see that when he was put in last year, it was his effort that made him look so good. In a pro system with pro players, he's just outclassed. C-

Begin: Wonderful play and two old-time hockey hits. He's a pest, super quick on his skates, and causes no end of trouble for the defence. Best part is he can play it himself. A-

Sundstrom: Aside from the first shift of the game, he might as well have stayed home. His minimal PK time could easily have been filled by someone else. C-

Juneau: I'm just waiting to see more people bash him. Love to see how they explain how bad he is after first marking Mario out, then doing the same against Sundin. A

Dackell: Good game at both ends of the rink, though his offensive contributions were sporadic tonight. B+

Bulis: Best Hab forward by a country mile. Used his speed to great advantage and unfortunately failed to convert on his numerous chances. Anyone fancy a Ryder - Koivu - Bulis line? A+

Audette: What to say? He looks like he's working hard, but nothing happens. He tended to lose the puck more often than anything tonight. B-

Perreault: Basically invisible, and that doesn't auger well. He centred a pretty much useless line tonight, and didn't put in half the effort he's been putting in recently. C+

Ryder: Interesting to see how he bounces back after this one - by far his worst game. His skating seemed half-speed and he wasn't a threat until the third. Then again, maybe the killer hit he took from Audette had something to do with it. B-

Hossa: Well, if he continues to improve each game as he has, we're in for a treat. Tonight he was dominant in the corners and looked like an actual offensive threat. A-

Ribeiro: Aside from one or two flashy shifts, he was basically invisible tonight. The much bigger Leafs kept him pinned and marked out for the most part and he didn't seem to have the same will to get out of it. B

Zednik: Still holding on to the puck way too long, but at least he's trying to create something. If he's going to be better, however, he's going to have to work harder off the puck. B

~~

I just pray that there's no whining from the Montrealais about the reffing tonight. Toronto actually played a far more disciplined game, and I don't think the calls were that off-base. On the other hand, is there a team in pro sport that complain as much as the Leafs do on EVERY CALL? They all take after Pat Quinn, who is rapidly working himself into the position of the most classless coach in hockey.

If Sax is ready for Monday's game against the Wings, I don't suppose we'll hear too much whining about mixing up the lines after tonights game. We really could have used his flash and dazzle tonight. We could also have used Langdon's fists in Sundin's face - perhaps the most classless player in hockey.

I suspect there'll be some lineup changes before Detroit gets here; let's see how we match up against a team with both a real offence and a real defence (not like TO). It's going to take a much better team effort to be successful then.

A concerned fan.

Excellent post and individual player analysis.

These are the kind of quality posters who make wading through the piles of garbage posts worthwhile.Well done.

cover_all_the_angles 10-18-2003 07:10 PM

i dunno.

the game i thought we had a chance to win. just didnt get the bounces and it wasnt our night. its always nice to get the calls like they did, but we couldnt overcome it.

gotta put a better effort against Detroit.

Nielson81 10-18-2003 07:17 PM

Jan Bulis would fit in perfectly on Saku's wing, and I would try Ward on the other side, Bulis looks like the fastest skater on the Habs and he could use his speed to catch up to Koivu's passes and Ward can crash the net.

Unbiased Canadian

cover_all_the_angles 10-18-2003 07:23 PM

is kilger gonna be back anytime soon ? i would like him to play with koivu.

Munchausen 10-18-2003 08:08 PM

Just want to say it's pretty amazing/funny that NOBODY talked about Koivu's return before that game, like he wasn't part of this team anymore, some people going to the extreme point of suggesting we should trade him, and now everybody talks about who we should play with him on the first line. I don't want to be rude and this is not directed toward the majority of fans, but Jesus Christ it's pretty sad to see that bipolar attitude whether we win or lose.

That being said, I though the overall execution was slugish and sloppy tonight. Pucks were boucing away or off of sticks, passes couldn't be completed, Ds were passing the puck where there was nobody, miscommunication... Not that bad of an effort, but bad execution.

Also I can't understand why people criticized (again) Hossa tonight. He was the best player on the ice along with Theo, Souray, Brisebois, Markov and Bulis. He hit all night long (his penality was bogus IMO, it was a clean hit) and he worked hard to dig pucks, something nobody else really did tonight.

To me, Perreault was the worst looking player by a mile tonight. Awful for a player that saw 2nd line ice time all night long. Ward and Sundstrom did not look good as well but they have the excuse of playing on the 4th line.

More a question of confidence tonight it seemed at times. We were intimidated by the Leafs. Is Langdon ready to play? Tonight would have been a good time to insert him in the lineup. We needed a spark that never came.

AzNDrAgOn 10-18-2003 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Just want to say it's pretty amazing/funny that NOBODY talked about Koivu's return before that game, like he wasn't part of this team anymore, some people going to the extreme point of suggesting we should trade him, and now everybody talks about who we should play with him on the first line. I don't want to be rude and this is not directed toward the majority of fans, but Jesus Christ it's pretty sad to see that bipolar attitude whether we win or lose.

100% agree, that part really deserved something...

:bow: :handclap: :teach: :handclap: :bow:

RE-HABS 10-18-2003 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13
Bulis is in need of playing on the top lines, his speed and energy is being wasted on the third line. Juneau and Dackell simply can't keep up with him and are holding him back.

The Ryder, Perreault, Audette line doesn't work. I know they picked up some points in the previous games, but creativity is not there.

Bouillon didn't very good. Some very bad decisions in the defensive zone causing headaches. He is not very good at moving the puck along the boards and finding the breakout winger.

I agree with you on the Bulis thought, he does need to play with better and more creative players, he did well with Saku last season and i would be very surprised not to see him there again.

As for the Ryder line the chemistry is there, but that collision really took the wind out that line's sails. Audette could be back with Bulis and Saku, but Ryder and Perreault probably will stay together because it seems they have a better chemistry together than with Audette (maybe Ward can be on this line or a helthy Kilger or Higgins).

I also agree on Bouillon, Julien shouldn't have tampered with his line-up. He should have left Hainsey in and kept him paired with Brisebois, Patrice looked out of place and even Souray misplayed the man and puck a lot of the time tonight.

Good game by Bulis and Theo...Begin was a real spark plug out there tonight also, the others were sporatic in their play and not consistant at all, some were down right aweful. We were taking the play to them early, but weren't shooting enough, a lesson learned by the players and the coach tonight.

I would not be surprised to see Ward pulled from the line up and Higgins back in because of his careless use of his stick, too many penalties kept us from having a chance to even get back into a game that we were having a hard enough time with 5 on 5.

Theo might be rewarded with a night off next game, but he might play because I believe we play the Wings.

Koivu should be back too.

Habs 10-18-2003 08:33 PM

Couple thoughts on the game, sorry if these have been done to death.


1. Jason Ward can be clueless at times. Unbelievable penalties.
2. Terrible reffing.
3. Bouillion is not NHL calibre. He still gets pressured off of the puck, and tends to make poor decisions.
4. Donald Audette is a disaster. He blows so many plays, that could develop into scoring chances.
5. We tried to get too pretty tonight. Not enough grinding, too many pretty passing plays.
6. Theo was incredible.
7. Our lack of size and grit becomes evident when the other team has the lead.

Can't win them all, but they tried hard. I don't mind losing when the effort is there!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.