HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Unconventional Chicago - Vancouver Trade Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=208929)

sunb 01-06-2006 08:37 PM

Unconventional Chicago - Vancouver Trade Proposal

*DEADLINE DEAL*

TO VANCOUVER: Nikolai Khabibulin + 2nd Rounder 2007
TO CHICAGO: Dan Cloutier

*DEADLINE DEAL*

I proposed this trade idea on the Vancouver forum yesterday and most fans agreed that it is a tempting that that would push Vancouver over the top and patch up it's Achilles Heel. Chicago also has many motivations to make the deal. Let's analyze.

SALARY CAP
Logistically, it would work since Cloutier's been out for most of the season and most of his 2.5 mils is spare cap room. Khabibulin has a 6.75 million deal but it would be around 2.5 mils at the trade deadline.

CHICAGO'S POINT OF VIEW

This deal would greatly benefit Chicago since Khabibulin is breaking their backs with a four year 26 million dollar deal. He is currently stinking it up in Chicago and fans from big to little want him gone. They struggle to relieve of Khabibulin because no teams are willing to take on a four year 6.75 mil per year contract. But if they complete this trade, they start off on a clean slate. Cloutier gives them a viable starter for next year becomes an UFA at the termination of the next season so they can dump him soon enough. On the other hand, Cloutier is young enough to still be there when the core begins to flourish so he can easily be resigned. At the trade deadline, this would be a perfect deal for Chicago since they are well out of the playoffs and this brings them that much closer to a shot at Kessel or Johnson or Toews. For the next three years, the extra 6.75 mil of salary allows them to go out and sign an elite player to build up slowly with youth and precision.

VANCOUVER'S POINT OF VIEW
Goaltending has always hurt Vancouver through and through. For the last decade, we've had sub-par goaltending and this fixes up our hole for the next three years, until Schneider or Vincent or Ellis-Plante is ready. This is a killer deal for us this year as it gives us a bona fide #1 goalie for the playoffs at no additional cost. But for next year? For the next thee years, the Canucks have to face a 6.75 mil contract. Khabibulin basically costs 4.25 mils more than Cloutier next year. It is basically the cost of not resigning Jovo. But the salary cap is also increasing and Linden will take a pay cut so we will still have room to acquire some defensemen. But with Khabibulin on the roster, the Canucks will be hard to fit too many assets under the cap since the entire Sedin - Sedin - Carter line also need to be resigned next year. Irregardless, the Canucks need to make a move for a goalie this year. Naslund and Bertuzzi aren't getting any younger and Khabibulin is a better bet than any of the other guys on the market.

Is this a reasonable trade?

Colorado Avalanche 01-06-2006 08:40 PM

I don't think you can trade injured player. Not sure though. :dunno:

sunb 01-06-2006 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Color@do @v@l@nche
I don't think you can trade injured player. Not sure though. :dunno:

That is a minor detail that can be easily worked out. As long as the general trade is reasonable, this trade will go down.

Chicago and Vancouver could always jerk around the rule and complete a Khabibulin for Kiril Koltsov trade this year and next year, completely a Kiril Koltsov + 2nd for Dan Cloutier trade.

If Vancouver needs guarentee that Chicago would complete the second half of the two-part trade, get Chicago to throw in some value so they'd be inclined to stick to their plan.

DisgruntledHawkFan 01-06-2006 09:22 PM

I don't like downgrading in goal and giving up a second rounder to do it. We don't need the cap room. We're hovering around 30 million right now as is.

Hawkalyzer 01-06-2006 09:26 PM

No.

Vote for Rory 01-06-2006 09:27 PM

Vancouver point of view, sign me up. Chicago, I don't really get it. Cloutier is obviously a downgrade to Khabibulin, so why is there a 2nd in there. Yes Khabi makes a lot of money, but he is an outstanding goaltender (most of the time). I could see something like this working, but IMO something else would have to go Chicago's way.

Stuy 01-06-2006 09:35 PM

Wow we have to give you a 2nd on top of taking Cloutier.

Wow. :shakehead

Peter Griffin 01-06-2006 09:37 PM

Khabibulin is not worth his paycheck. I wouldn't do it.

Rotang 01-06-2006 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks
Wow we have to give you a 2nd on top of taking Cloutier.

Wow. :shakehead

Then I guess you can keep him and his paycheck for the next 3 years.

It makes sense that Chicago would have to sweeten the deal, signing Khabibulin to that contract was a huge mistake. $6.75 million is ludicrous for a goaltender of his calibre

Khabibulin has always been nothing more than an above-average goalie. Don't get me wrong, he's good, but in no way can he be considered elite or deserving of the kind of money he's making. He got hot at the right time and led his team to a Stanley Cup because of it.

I understand the intent of this proposal, but i honestly don't think it's worth being saddled with his contract for the next 3 years. The Sedins could command as much as $2 million a peice next year, and I don't know about you, but I'd still like to TRY and resign Jovo.

IMO there are just better options for us out there - namely Noronen. This guy can be had without severely tapping the farm, is inexpensive, and provides us with a potential long term solution.

Amazing Oopah 01-06-2006 11:06 PM

Both teams accomplish nothing by this move except shuffle terrible goalies. :huh:

Don't see this happening ever.

Waveburner 01-06-2006 11:38 PM

I do not want to touch any contracts over 6 million. We already have a #1 line that eats up $14+ million in salary. That combined with Khabilbulin's age and streakiness makes me stay as far away as possible. We need to start shedding contracts, not taking more on. The Canucks completely lack depth, and it shows.

PecaFan 01-07-2006 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadiggitystank

Which is exactly why they signed him for that long. They're trying the Tampa thing, acquire the star goalie when you're one of the worst teams in the league, then hope the team rapidly improves, and if they do, you've got the star goalie to win it all.

Chicago is not going to blow it all up in year 1 of the plan.

Teemu 01-07-2006 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadiggitystank

Will do.

Slitty 01-07-2006 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan
I don't like downgrading in goal and giving up a second rounder to do it. We don't need the cap room. We're hovering around 30 million right now as is.

Perhaps a team like Chicago dosen't need one of the "best" (but inconsistent this year) as well as the most highly paid goaltender in the league?

Yet, it is a gowngrade without any real benefit to Chicago as they dont immediately need the cap room. Vancouver should throw in a pick or prospect to even it out.

NFITO 01-07-2006 10:42 AM

I wouldn't touch Khabibulin's contract as a canuck fan... we already have too much locked up in a few players, that adding Khabby would hurt us even more.

I'd rather go after a cheaper option - a soon to be UFA like Kolzig, or Jospeh, Roloson, etc... or even a younger/cheaper guy like Noronen, Toskola or Biron.

Chicago is much more able to handle Khabby's contract with their younger roster and players still on rookie, or soon after rookie, deals.