HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Joe Thornton thrown out of Sharks - Bs Game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=210236)

King Blazer 01-10-2006 06:20 PM

Joe Thornton thrown out of Sharks - Bs Game

Joe Thornton was thrown out of the Sharks - Bruins game 5:13 into it for an intent to injure hit from behind on Hal Gill....

Captain Ron 01-10-2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Blazer
Joe Thornton was thrown out of the Sharks - Bruins game 5:13 into it for an intent to injure hit from behind on Hal Gill....

I guess there is no bad blood there.;)

multiball 01-10-2006 07:04 PM

I just watched the Tivo'd replay of the hit a few times... I've been very supportive of the officiating this year, but that was a tough call to take. Looked like a very good battle between Gill and Thornton. Wasn't from behind, hands were at his body. Brutal for SJ. Those looking forward to seeing a wicked hit on the highlights tonight after hearing the "major / ejection" news will be dissapointed.

Osprey 01-10-2006 07:10 PM

It looked like an average-to-serious boarding to me, but not something one would normally get ejected over. Maybe the league privately communicated a crackdown on boarding to the refs :dunno:

ukyo 01-10-2006 07:11 PM

That game misconduct was strictly because of the rulebook. I don't think he really intended to injure Gill but it was ruled that way because he was hit from behind.

multiball 01-10-2006 07:19 PM

I'm looking at the hit again in slo-mo and I can see Gill's entire "25" on his jersey as he gets hit, so it doesn't strike me as being from behind. Granted I seem to be in the minority here. Average boarding call in the new NHL, not an ejection for intent to injure.

Even TSN's report uses the word "side":
Thornton received a game misconduct with 5:13 gone in the game for his hit that drove Gill's right side into the boards

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=150227&hubname=nhl

Kick 01-10-2006 07:21 PM

Maybe if it wasn't Joe Thornton against his recent former team/teammate it doesn't get called. :dunno:

Also, one of, if not the worst ref in the AHL is calling this game. None other than Francois St Laurent. :shakehead

ILuvLA 01-10-2006 07:55 PM

And the Sharks are up 6-1 over Boston at the start of the 3rd...

TubbyTerrion* 01-10-2006 08:07 PM

Had nothing to do with bad blood. Already reported that Thornton checked in with Gill in the locker room, and that Gill said it was a clean hit, and that he even saw it coming. The real losers here are the fans, who paid hard earned money to see Joe play again, and got the shaft after 5 minutes. Should have been a minor or double minor at best.

King Blazer 01-10-2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILuvLA

The Bruins are having the same type of game the Kings had last night...

dbbourn 01-10-2006 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
The real losers here are the fans

Weak call. Even after seeing Thornton's elbow on Giuliano I don't think he intended on injuring Gill. Unlucky for Thornton (and Gill) that there was an injury. The side of Gill's head hit the glass, but if the side of hit the glass then how did he get hit from behind? If Gill gets up and heads to the bench on that play there would only be 2 minutes on the board. Anyway, far too many players are getting hurt this way because they think the new rules are protecting them. Too many players are turning their backs on players coming in for the hit.

All those fans that got stuck in traffic expecting to see Thornton got the shaft when they finally showed up.

King'sPawn 01-11-2006 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILuvLA

Wow, the loss of Gill really hurt the Bruins' D.

Fripp 01-11-2006 01:22 PM

God awful call. It was shoulder on shoulder ... its not the checking player's fault that the receiving player turns himself into the boards to protect the puck at the last second.

ILuvLA 01-11-2006 10:05 PM

The ref had his head up his... on this one.

King Blazer 01-11-2006 10:56 PM

The referees for the game were Chris Rooney & Francois St. Laurent. Rooney is from Boston and has officiated about 200 regular season games and 3 playoff games. St. Laurent has officiated a handful of NHL regular season games and 0 playoff games. Both still do games in the AHL and neither are considered good officials. Rooney is the referee that made the call...

Mention St. Laurent's name to ANY AHL fan and you'll get an ear-full. His ineptitude is well know and many fans consider him to be among the worst officials in the AHL. I've written three letters to the AHL regarding St. Laurent and spoke with AHL President Dave Andrews about St. Laurent a couple of weeks ago when he was in Manchester. He's that bad...

That the NHL assigned these two jokers to this game is testimate to how clueless the league really is...

Reaper45 01-12-2006 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Blazer
The referees for the game were Chris Rooney & Francois St. Laurent. Rooney is from Boston and has officiated about 200 regular season games and 3 playoff games. St. Laurent has officiated a handful of NHL regular season games and 0 playoff games. Both still do games in the AHL and neither are considered good officials. Rooney is the referee that made the call...

Mention St. Laurent's name to ANY AHL fan and you'll get an ear-full. His ineptitude is well know and many fans consider him to be among the worst officials in the AHL. I've written three letters to the AHL regarding St. Laurent and spoke with AHL President Dave Andrews about St. Laurent a couple of weeks ago when he was in Manchester. He's that bad...

That the NHL assigned these two jokers to this game is testimate to how clueless the league really is...

If he's really bad, what in the hell is he doing NHL games for?
Not saying that I dont believe you KB, but I'm wondering who's in charge of placing referees?

King Blazer 01-12-2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
If he's really bad, what in the hell is he doing NHL games for?
Not saying that I dont believe you KB, but I'm wondering who's in charge of placing referees?

There are several reasons why a guy like St. Laurent can continue to advance. Officiating is incredibly "political", a good 'ol boy network. Remember the Andy Van Hellemond incident? St. Laurent has kissed the right butts, gone to the right training camps. etc. Watch Harry Dumas do a game. He's terrible as well, BUT, he happens to be married to Fraser's daughter. Fraser's son Ryan is also a referee you'll be seeing more of in the next few years...

I'm not sure who assigns the officials in the NHL...I believe that Stephan Walkom replaced Van Hellemond as the NHL Director of Officiating...