HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Disappointing but predictable end to a great road trip (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=211188)

facts 01-13-2006 08:07 AM

Disappointing but predictable end to a great road trip

This game was a mail in from the start. Although 0-0 after 1, we had 3 power plays and at 1 point only had 1 shot on net. After the phantom call on Savage we were basically done.
Interesting how in the FSN pregame Hitch said that the Flyers needed to pay special attention to Zetterburg and Datsuyk- great job they combined for 8 points and 12 as a line.
I think Hitch screwed up to start the 3rd staring Freddy Meyer on the Pk and leaving him out on the ice for the next goal 34 second later.
Understandable because it was the end of the road swing but we never really put in a great show as we were lack lusture in Chicago the night prior one would assume our thoughts as a team would be focused on a place where we are 0-12-2 since 1988.
Which brigs me to my final thought being that it should be any surprise that we lost to Detroit because they are a league leader, but we are too, why is it we don't show well against these type of teams?
And oh yes, be ready for another cleaning tomorrow-Colorado, big game, you know the routine.

Jester 01-13-2006 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by facts
This game was a mail in from the start. Although 0-0 after 1, we had 3 power plays and at 1 point only had 1 shot on net. After the phantom call on Savage we were basically done.
Interesting how in the FSN pregame Hitch said that the Flyers needed to pay special attention to Zetterburg and Datsuyk- great job they combined for 8 points and 12 as a line.
I think Hitch screwed up to start the 3rd staring Freddy Meyer on the Pk and leaving him out on the ice for the next goal 34 second later.
Understandable because it was the end of the road swing but we never really put in a great show as we were lack lusture in Chicago the night prior one would assume our thoughts as a team would be focused on a place where we are 0-12-2 since 1988.
Which brigs me to my final thought being that it should be any surprise that we lost to Detroit because they are a league leader, but we are too, why is it we don't show well against these type of teams?
And oh yes, be ready for another cleaning tomorrow-Colorado, big game, you know the routine.

current 1st/2nd division teams.

Philly --
NYR - 1-1-0 against.

Ottawa - 2-0-0 against
Buffalo - 0-0-1

Carolina - 1-1-0
Atlanta - 2-0-1 (and that OT loss was ref induced)

Detroit - 0-1-0
Nashville - 0-0-1

Calgary - 1-0-0
Colorado - DNP

so... 7-3-3 ... or 17/26 pts. we're doing friggin fine against the top teams in the league.

BobbyClarkeFan16 01-13-2006 09:23 AM

Now that was an impressive road trip. I could care less that we lost two games on the road trip. Anytime you come away with 17 of a possible 22 points, that's a really good job.

This road trip was a lot like a playoff run. That was the impression that I got from it. A couple of things though that this team needs to work on. First, as what Hitch said a month ago, when they have a team down, they really need to put the hammer down and really beat them. The fact that we barely scraped by teams like Chicago, Florida, St.Louis, etc....should be enough fodder that Hitch can use to really emphasize putting the hammer down.

Second, I've said it before and I'll say it again, this team really needs secondary scoring and badly. This is a team that will only go as far as Gagne/Forsberg/Knuble will go offensively. I'm really disappointed in the play of everyone else on the roster in terms of offense. Somebody needs to step forward and be that player to initiate the secondary scoring. And rookies or not, this is the time where Carter or Richards need to step forward and establish themselves as that scoring threat.

Third, we need a legitimate tough guy out there who isn't going to let other players run at our top guys. If it's one thing that I've noticed, Gagne and Forsberg put up with an incredible amount of abuse. And the team in general just lets it slide. I don't know if it's a team thing or if it's a Hitch thing telling people not to respond, but something needs to be done to keep other teams in line. It's clear that Brashear isn't going to do that anymore, so he's gotta go. Eager is actually playing very good hockey for us, so it makes no sense to have him do it. Maybe it's time for a Phantom like Triston Grant to come up here and start hammering people.

Last but not least, you could tell that at the end of this trip, Niitty was exhausted. The fact that he was caught out of position quite a bit was pretty apparent that he needed a break. Hopefully Esche stays healthy because if he can't stay healthy, we're going to be in a lot of trouble.

Now, out of all of this, we're starting to get some bodies back soon. It's going to be very nice when Pitkanen gets back onboard and Desjardins also gets back onboard. That's gonna be a lot of pressure relieved on that defense. Hatcher, who I really hate, has stepped up big since the two went down and I think it's safe to say that he's found his niche in the "new" NHL and has been very effective. You could almost say that Hatcher looked like his old self when he won the Norris.

Jester 01-13-2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Second, I've said it before and I'll say it again, this team really needs secondary scoring and badly. This is a team that will only go as far as Gagne/Forsberg/Knuble will go offensively. I'm really disappointed in the play of everyone else on the roster in terms of offense. Somebody needs to step forward and be that player to initiate the secondary scoring. And rookies or not, this is the time where Carter or Richards need to step forward and establish themselves as that scoring threat.

Handzus has been spectacular... Pitkanen was a big offensive loss. A scoring winger would be extremely nice... but this team is getting good depth scoring, it just isn't isolated in one unit after the top-line.

Broad st phantom 01-13-2006 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by facts

long road trip pal. n what do you mean these types of teams. we've done fine we've beat ottawa, carolina... n other good teams. every teams loses and honestly were doing fine

SheroWorship 01-13-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Now that was an impressive road trip. I could care less that we lost two games on the road trip. Anytime you come away with 17 of a possible 22 points, that's a really good job.

Second, I've said it before and I'll say it again, this team really needs secondary scoring and badly. This is a team that will only go as far as Gagne/Forsberg/Knuble will go offensively.

Agree.

Unfortunately like many teams. It's easier for teams to fill defensive needs than it is for teams like Philly to find quality offensive talent. Always has been and always will be.

We are a very good team, but not great. The good news is I don't see many great teams in this league any more. Not even Ottawa.

To seriously contend we are 2 scoring wingers (30 goal range) short of dominating.
And with 2 more scorers other teams will not be able to key on Forsberg and Gagne like they try to do now.

If Pitkanen plays to his potential then D is OK and I'll take my chances with Nitty.

Right now every game against legit competition is a crap shoot.

swflyers8* 01-13-2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

You could almost say that Hatcher looked like his old self when he won the Norris.
Hatcher never won the Norris.

SheroWorship 01-13-2006 12:54 PM

Considering all the negative speculation about Hatcher - his speed - I am thrilled with his game.

BobbyClarkeFan16 01-13-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
Hatcher never won the Norris.

My bad. I thought that the Dallas Cup winning year, that he was the Norris winner that year. No biggie though. He's played exceptionally well so far and that's what really matters.