HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Q & A With Yanic Perreault (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=213140)

handtrick 01-18-2006 09:02 PM

Q & A With Yanic Perreault
 
This thread is dedicated to his biggest fan.......NMK.

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...p?story_id=725

barrytrotzsneck 01-18-2006 09:14 PM

NoMoreKids of New York City writes,

"Hi Yanic, glad to hear you're loving Nashville! Anyway, I was wondering...why do you suck? Thanks for your time!"

Basher 01-19-2006 10:02 AM

I won't make negative comments about him till he stops scoring...them they'll come.

dulzhok 01-19-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisarmygrlfrend
Thanks for posting that. It's always nice to hear that the players appreciate our enthusiasm.

Yanic has been pretty lucky with the goals he's gotten and that many seem to be fed to him. But I don't like trashin' any player too much because I don't want to bring on bad energies hahaha...We should give him credit for being there at the right time and place but so far that has been all I've really seen.

We could bring up that argument with a few other players. At the same time they fill gaps on the ice by puttin a player there, regardless of how much we may not notice them...not everyone can be a star.

It's not just luck that he's in the right place at the right time. It's called goal scorers instincts.

Yannic certainly has his share of negatives, but he's on pace to score more goals than any Predator ever has, and he's doing it in only 14 minutes of ice per game. Pretty impressive for $500,000.

swisarmygrlfrend 01-19-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
Yannic certainly has his share of negatives, but he's on pace to score more goals than any Predator ever has, and he's doing it in only 14 minutes of ice per game. Pretty impressive for $500,000.


Agreed.

barrytrotzsneck 01-19-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
It's not just luck that he's in the right place at the right time. It's called goal scorers instincts.

Yannic certainly has his share of negatives, but he's on pace to score more goals than any Predator ever has, and he's doing it in only 14 minutes of ice per game. Pretty impressive for $500,000.

What's even more impressive is that he can describe SO many beautiful goals-against, because on many nights, he's had a front row seat!

PredsMan 01-19-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
What's even more impressive is that he can describe SO many beautiful goals-against, because on many nights, he's had a front row seat!

Yet he's a -3, while Kariya is -8...

not bad for a weak defensive center who has 7 of his 17 goals on the powerplay.

barrytrotzsneck 01-19-2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsMan
Yet he's a -3, while Kariya is -8...

not bad for a weak defensive center who has 7 of his 17 goals on the powerplay.


He also plays on a line with Sullivan, who scores more ES goals than anyone on the team. +\- is a very, very misleading stat and it doesn't back up what anyone who has watched all of our games has seen.

Enoch 01-19-2006 03:46 PM

It would be interesting to see if Trotz would play Perrault at wing or run three scoring type lines if we acquired another top 6 center. I think Perrault has definite offensive skill, but playing center in our system exposes his weaknesses so much more. I can't say that he isn't "working", rather it seems like he is just inept defensively. He is skating harder than some of our defensemen to get back, but even if he is in position theoretically, it seems the puck still goes in the net. If we did shift him, he could still take faceoffs...Heck, if we traded for Jokinen, we may not even need to break up the top two lines...a Hartnell - Jokinen - Hall line would be dangerous in its own right (not that I can see us trading for Jokinen at this time).

PredsMan 01-20-2006 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
He also plays on a line with Sullivan, who scores more ES goals than anyone on the team. +\- is a very, very misleading stat and it doesn't back up what anyone who has watched all of our games has seen.

I'm not saying he's not crummy defensively...just not as bad as you make it seem.

muddycreek* 01-20-2006 04:35 PM

If a player is not defensive, you bash him. If he's not offesive you bash him. Which do you want? I'm not a Yanic fan BUT he manages to be at the right place at the right time and has scored goals! In fact, he's doing pretty darned good with 34 points. How many games have we played...46. On pace for 60 points...30 goals and 30 assists if distributed like they are now. Go ahead abd bash him. He's slow. He's not great defensively. He's not a great passer. BUT...he scores goals! It's not luck. IT's being at the right place at the right time!

handtrick 01-20-2006 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddycreek
If a player is not defensive, you bash him. If he's not offesive you bash him. Which do you want? I'm not a Yanic fan BUT he manages to be at the right place at the right time and has scored goals! In fact, he's doing pretty darned good with 34 points. How many games have we played...46. On pace for 60 points...30 goals and 30 assists if distributed like they are now. Go ahead abd bash him. He's slow. He's not great defensively. He's not a great passer. BUT...he scores goals! It's not luck. IT's being at the right place at the right time!


I've noticed something......Legwand bashers and Perreault bashers are similair, but different....here is what I mean:

Legwand bashers tend to be "hockey simpletons"...looking at only the stat generating things like goals, assists, and hits....they don't appreciate the forechecking, backchecking, puck control, defensive awareness, etc...the more subtle aspects of the game that make everything else possible. These people live, predominately on the "other" board.

Perreault bashers tend to be "hockey gods".....looking at all the aspects of the game and seeing and focusing on the "forechecking, backchecking, puck control, defensive awareness, etc." type of things that are very important to be deemed a "good" or "great" player. Goals and assists are important, but not the whole picture. These people live, predominately, here on HF.

The problem is....neither camp gives credit where credit is due.....the hockey simpletons, because they can't...and the hockey gods, because they won't.

Trotz loves Perreault because he does exactly what he expects out of him....wins faceoffs and gets in a position to bury the puck, which he does.....no more, no less. The fact that he is inept defensively and slow and can't puck handle out of a paper bag should come as no shock to anyone.

Has he been an asset to this team.....yes
Has he been worth $500k.....hell yes.
Has he been a better choice than Robitaille....[GP43 G10 A16 Pts26 -4 Faceoff% 51%vs YP's GP46 G17 A17 Pts34 -4 Faceoff % 62.6%].....yes
Does he drive us crazy at times....hell yes.

I guess, what I am saying, is that I wish everyone gave both Legwand AND Perreault their respective due, and not focus, so much, on their shortcomings.

dulzhok 01-20-2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
I've noticed something......Legwand bashers and Perreault bashers are similair, but different....here is what I mean:

Legwand bashers tend to be "hockey simpletons"...looking at only the stat generating things like goals, assists, and hits....they don't appreciate the forechecking, backchecking, puck control, defensive awareness, etc...the more subtle aspects of the game that make everything else possible. These people live, predominately on the "other" board.

Perreault bashers tend to be "hockey gods".....looking at all the aspects of the game and seeing and focusing on the "forechecking, backchecking, puck control, defensive awareness, etc." type of things that are very important to be deemed a "good" or "great" player. Goals and assists are important, but not the whole picture. These people live, predominately, here on HF.

The problem is....neither camp gives credit where credit is due.....the hockey simpletons, because they can't...and the hockey gods, because they won't.

Trotz loves Perreault because he does exactly what he expects out of him....wins faceoffs and gets in a position to bury the puck, which he does.....no more, no less. The fact that he is inept defensively and slow and can't puck handle out of a paper bag should come as no shock to anyone.

Has he been an asset to this team.....yes
Has he been worth $500k.....hell yes.
Has he been a better choice than Robitaille....[GP43 G10 A16 Pts26 -4 Faceoff% 51%vs YP's GP46 G17 A17 Pts34 -4 Faceoff % 62.6%].....yes
Does he drive us crazy at times....hell yes.

I guess, what I am saying, is that I wish everyone gave both Legwand AND Perreault their respective due, and not focus, so much, on their shortcomings.

Perreault and Legwand are pretty much polar opposites. Legwand has wheels, Perreault doesn't. Perreault can pull the trigger quickly, legwand can't. Legwand is apt defensivley, Perrault isn't. Perreault knows where to go to score, legwand doesn't have a clue. Similarly, they both leave something to be desired from a scoringline center.

Pred303 01-20-2006 05:43 PM

i agree with most everything in your post handtrick...

well the one thing i might disagree with to a small degree is the flat out statement that perreault has been a "better choice than robitaille"..i still believe, in a higher scoring, much more open offense like ours is compared to Minnesota's slow trapping style, that robitialle would have put up much better numbers than he has comparitively with the wild if trotz had kept him instead of perreault.. he might not have 17 goals like perreualt does for us, but i think he'd be in the 13-15 goals scored range with us given the same even strength time and pp time perreault has.. and i honestly believe he'd have close to 25 assists centering a line with sullivan and walker (or erat or hartnell) like perreault has, he has only one less now in a much lower scoring system and certainlty no goal scorer like sullivan or walker to feed the puck to... robitialle was going to be a better playmaker in our system than perreault was almost surely and i think would have put up 10 odd more points than perreault over an entire year.. and i still feel while neither is good defensively, robitaille's speed made him a better fit with the preds on both ends of the ice... i simply think trotz was soured on robitialle from his first stint here (and i could understand that), and that he obviously admired perreault's ability as a faceoff guy and a sniper for years, and that once perreault showed in camp the decision was as good as made no matter what happened in camp...then add in the fact robitaille is considerably younger

i still don't necessarily agree it was the best choice from a pure hockey point of view, but rather i think trotz either didn't like robitaille's clubhouse presense (which of course we will never know).. or he didn't like or trust his effort from the first time (which is actually probably the real reason, and if so who could blame trotz?).. or it could simply all have boiled down to the fact trotz thought having the best faceoff guy in the league was more important to us than having a better rounded player

dulzhok 01-20-2006 05:56 PM

One interesting thing... all the repeated talk of "Centers will never score in Trotz's sytem", yet it has been casually left out that Yannic is on pace for a career year in Nasvhille, after playing on wide open teams like Montreal and Toronto. And doing it with considerably less ice time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.