HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Does this team need a captain? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=213534)

Dig Out Your Soul 01-20-2006 12:12 AM

Does this team need a captain?

I've been thinking through the last few losses that the biggest thing missing on this team is leadership. I know people will argue that the captaincy is just a letter on the guy's jersey and that leadership is overrated, but I truly am feeling a lack of leadership on the ice when I watch our team play lately. Someone needs to take the team by the balls and set an example, speak up in the dressing room (no jokes, thanks anyway Bundy) and lead this team to greatness.

In conclusion, we need Primeau back. But was it a mistake to let this team go without a captain for so long (and will continue to be without one until Primeau returns or retires)?

sansan 01-20-2006 12:38 AM

They need Ben Eager.

goodrev 01-20-2006 12:52 AM

what this team needs is a player who can finish the puck besides gagne. i was watching the game as usual with the woman tonight and she said to me, "why does it take the flyers twice as many chances to get a goal than the other team?" and i realized that they really just dont have players who finish the puck, the amount of open nets missed by flyers players in a game is astounding as is the amount of pucks shot directly into the gut of opposing goaltenders, we dont need a captain we have 4 players in my opinion who are quite capable of being captain of this team, Hatcher, Forsberg, Gagne, and i also like Kapanen as a captain thought not vocal this guy leads in action. the team as of right now consists of 1 extraordinary line with gagne and forsberg and whoever you put on the RW it doesnt matter, 2 lines of grinders wherever you put knuble, stevenson, brashear, radio, kapanen, sim, savage (who i am not quite sure why he is still on the team over eager) and youth who are developing but have yet to show good signs of finishing skill in carter, richards and umberger. (they will, just not yet) Even when forsberg is playing he doesnt finish well, he stickhandles and passes like a god but his weakest point is definately his shot. Handzus is fantastic but i would in no way call him a finisher... when players like samsonov, and satan are out there available in the market as well as recchi or doug weight (assist guys) i think this team needs to make a move toward getting a guy who can bury the puck in the net and not try and shoot it through the golies chest.

move Brashear and his $1,748,000 contract, i dont know put one of our second rounders with him just so SOMEONE will take him because he is absolutely useless, place primeau on IR for the season and that frees up 5 mill in cap space, and after the depreciation of the players salaries if i interperet the cap correctly the flyers could add both weight or recchi and samsonov to the team without going over the cap. not that we would be able to do that without giving up a leg but it is just a thought... all in all i dont think this team is suffering from the lack of a captain but suffering from the lack of finishers, and hitchcocks coaching which puts them in a protective shell in the third period

Philly Flyer Fan* 01-20-2006 04:22 AM

I agree with the poster above.............another finisher or 2 would much more appealing than naming a captain.

Like a Glen Murray or ........................... :dunno:

stanley 01-20-2006 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodrev
what this team needs is a player who can finish the puck besides gagne. i was watching the game as usual with the woman tonight and she said to me, "why does it take the flyers twice as many chances to get a goal than the other team?" and i realized that they really just dont have players who finish the puck...

goodrev,
What you should have realized was that she was investing in collateral that could be used later to, say...paint the dining room pink, or turn off a future game to watch a Lifetime movie.

I know whereof I speak, so she's never permitted to watch games with me.

Pantokrator 01-20-2006 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodrev
what this team needs is a player who can finish the puck besides gagne. i was watching the game as usual with the woman tonight and she said to me, "why does it take the flyers twice as many chances to get a goal than the other team?" and i realized that they really just dont have players who finish the puck, the amount of open nets missed by flyers players in a game is astounding as is the amount of pucks shot directly into the gut of opposing goaltenders, we dont need a captain we have 4 players in my opinion who are quite capable of being captain of this team, Hatcher, Forsberg, Gagne, and i also like Kapanen as a captain thought not vocal this guy leads in action. the team as of right now consists of 1 extraordinary line with gagne and forsberg and whoever you put on the RW it doesnt matter, 2 lines of grinders wherever you put knuble, stevenson, brashear, radio, kapanen, sim, savage (who i am not quite sure why he is still on the team over eager) and youth who are developing but have yet to show good signs of finishing skill in carter, richards and umberger. (they will, just not yet) Even when forsberg is playing he doesnt finish well, he stickhandles and passes like a god but his weakest point is definately his shot. Handzus is fantastic but i would in no way call him a finisher... when players like samsonov, and satan are out there available in the market as well as recchi or doug weight (assist guys) i think this team needs to make a move toward getting a guy who can bury the puck in the net and not try and shoot it through the golies chest.

move Brashear and his $1,748,000 contract, i dont know put one of our second rounders with him just so SOMEONE will take him because he is absolutely useless, place primeau on IR for the season and that frees up 5 mill in cap space, and after the depreciation of the players salaries if i interperet the cap correctly the flyers could add both weight or recchi and samsonov to the team without going over the cap. not that we would be able to do that without giving up a leg but it is just a thought... all in all i dont think this team is suffering from the lack of a captain but suffering from the lack of finishers, and hitchcocks coaching which puts them in a protective shell in the third period

I agree with thie wholeheartedly. I only get to listen to the games, but they seem to struggle with scoring, which will ultimately be their downfall. If we could get Samsonov for a reasonable price, I would do it to give another threat, and if we could get him with Weight, then we would have two legitimate socring lines that other teams would have to worry about. As it is now, when I hear the players on the power play, no wonder we have such a hard time scoring.

Plus I would like to have someone be named captain as well.

Coburnfan05 01-20-2006 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
I've been thinking through the last few losses that the biggest thing missing on this team is leadership. I know people will argue that the captaincy is just a letter on the guy's jersey and that leadership is overrated, but I truly am feeling a lack of leadership on the ice when I watch our team play lately. Someone needs to take the team by the balls and set an example, speak up in the dressing room (no jokes, thanks anyway Bundy) and lead this team to greatness.

In conclusion, we need Primeau back. But was it a mistake to let this team go without a captain for so long (and will continue to be without one until Primeau returns or retires)?

Yes I think someone should be named captain, but I think the biggest issue on this losing skid is Hitchcocks inabilaty to give Nitty a rest.

Storr is a capable back up and shouold have seen action at least twice during Nittys 17 game starting streak.

pfoppa21 01-20-2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansan
They need Ben Eager.

I second your vote, someone drop Jon Sim. He has decent speed but hands of stone.

pfoppa21 01-20-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator
I agree with thie wholeheartedly. I only get to listen to the games, but they seem to struggle with scoring, which will ultimately be their downfall. If we could get Samsonov for a reasonable price, I would do it to give another threat, and if we could get him with Weight, then we would have two legitimate socring lines that other teams would have to worry about. As it is now, when I hear the players on the power play, no wonder we have such a hard time scoring.

Plus I would like to have someone be named captain as well.

Forsberg can't finish, what games are u watching pal. When ever he shots there always quality and his shot's are always quality bar none he's the best in hockey!!!

GKJ 01-20-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

This team has Peter Forsberg (2 rings), Derian Hatcher (ring), Turner Stevenson (2 rings), plus Brian Savage ( ;) ) and Mike Rathje who have been in this league a long time. That's more than enough.

Dig Out Your Soul 01-20-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
This team has Peter Forsberg (2 rings), Derian Hatcher (ring), Turner Stevenson (2 rings), plus Brian Savage ( ;) ) and Mike Rathje who have been in this league a long time. That's more than enough.

With the exception of Forsberg's big shifts where he takes the team on his back, none of these players are showing anything remotely close to "leadership" qualities.

And like I said, it doesn't surprise me that most people don't care that no one is wearing the 'C', but I just feel like no one is leading out there, regardless of their past experience.

An entire season is a long time to go without a captain, shouldn't we have one?

goodrev 01-20-2006 05:52 PM

this team needs to lose brian savage, he is a fantastic waste of a roster spot, a guy who is so useless i would rather see brashear on the ice than him... and it actually hurt my fingers to type that... he and brashear both are dead weight players we need to cut ties with

as for hatcher, forsberg, and stevenson all having finals and cup winning experience i agree that also with gagne and kapanen we have more than enough leadership, and i dont think declaring a captain is going to make them lead any more or less in fact it might hurt all the leadership that the team is getting by a comitee of awesome veterans...

we have a "captain by comitee" system

stanley 01-20-2006 11:24 PM

McGratton, Neil, Chara - I think when Clarke looks up in Ottawa and projects a Conference semi-final or final, he and Hitch want players in the lineup like Brashear. Not necessarily for fighting, but just to be able to mix it up. This is why I'd like to see Primeau in the lineup, because the two of them could do some work down low on opposing defensemen that would make them expend energy on them instead of on Forsberg, Gagne, etc.

I think we just need to accept the fact that Brashear is here for the year, so don't shed a tear, the end of the season will soon be near, and Donald's big contract we'll no longer have to fear.

FlyerFanLWB 01-22-2006 03:35 AM

handzus to me is a no brainer for next captain if primeau is done for the regular season... handzus may not be a vocal guy but he is everything a leader should be IMO... the guy doesnt make mistakes

BobbyClarkeFan16 01-22-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514

But none of those guys are long time Flyers. If the Flyers are to name a captain, it should be someone who has been a part of the team for quite some time. I think Handzus would make a great captain in the interim.

Cuiff 01-22-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
But none of those guys are long time Flyers. If the Flyers are to name a captain, it should be someone who has been a part of the team for quite some time. I think Handzus would make a great captain in the interim.

My vote goes to Sami. On second thought, Chris T :D

Steelhead16 01-22-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerFanLWB
handzus to me is a no brainer for next captain if primeau is done for the regular season... handzus may not be a vocal guy but he is everything a leader should be IMO... the guy doesnt make mistakes

When I read this thread I thought to myself that nobody has stepped up to BE THE CAPTAIN of this team but you just showed me the light. I watched the game yesterday and Handzus was everywhere doing everything. He goes about it so quietly that nobody even notices. I'm sure his teammates do however. John Davidson and Mike Emerick yesterday couldn't say enough about him. Except for giving a guy a beat down he is doing everything that Keith Primeau has done for the Flyers in the past. I do think a team needs a captain because the captain by commitee thing has games that fall through the cracks because nobody steps up that game. I've watched probably 80% of the Flyers games this year and Handzus has proved that he is there every game and is willing to whatever job is needed on a particular night. I realize that Pittsburgh is almost like a home game for the Flyers but it is still an away game and yesterday the crowd was doing the "ZZZUUUUSSSS" chant every time he had the puck. That's impressive in someone else's house.

FoppaArGud 01-22-2006 01:31 PM

Bottom line is that we need a decision on Primeau

I dont think he should lose his C to injury but it is very important to know whether or not he is returning because if not, a captain should be named and more important Clarke has some breathing room to make moves. Forsberg has gotta be the captain if Primeau is down for the year, there is no question in my mind, Handzus and Gagne the Assistants.

FlyerFanLWB 01-22-2006 02:48 PM

im sorry but forsberg is too injury proned to take over the captain role... to me u need someone very durable to take over the C... don't get me wrong, forsberg is hands down the best player on this team but he will constantly be in and out of the lineup this year with nagging injuries... that and the fact that he's a 1st year player and more then likely a 2 year rental

Dig Out Your Soul 01-28-2006 06:40 PM

Flyers fans all over the internet have been calling for someone to be named captain. Do people here still feel we don't need one? You all seemed to shove this thread aside when I posted it...like who cares if we don't have a captain. Anyone change their mind? NO ONE is leading out there.

PRB 01-28-2006 07:48 PM

I think we need a big powerfoward who can take over from where Primeau has left off - I call for Bertuzzi. Love him or hate him, the man can do the business.

Roger's Pancreas* 01-28-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belfast Giants
I think we need a big powerfoward who can take over from where Primeau has left off - I call for Bertuzzi. Love him or hate him, the man can do the business.

I'd be happier with Doan, consistently scores and plays defense. Neither of which Bertuzzi does.

Lupul* 01-28-2006 09:09 PM

It would really be nice if Primeau could just get healthy. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dig Out Your Soul 01-28-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I'd be happier with Doan, consistently scores and plays defense. Neither of which Bertuzzi does.

Wasn't there a deal on the table a few years ago, Doan for Gagne?

Roger's Pancreas* 01-28-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Wasn't there a deal on the table a few years ago, Doan for Gagne?

Good lord I hope not. I like Doan but I'm not stupid.