HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyers trade Seidenberg to Coyotes for Petr Nedved (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=213717)

ranold26 01-20-2006 02:28 PM

Flyers trade Seidenberg to Coyotes for Petr Nedved

The Philadelphia Flyers have acquired forward Petr Nedved from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for defenceman Dennis Seidenberg. Details to follow...
TSN
Randy

Chinaski* 01-20-2006 02:30 PM

WOW. Didn't see that coming. I would never have thought that Peter Nedved is Flyers material. He is rather too soft. Oh well, this season is full of surprises.

cycle_it 01-20-2006 02:31 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/

Twist and Shout 01-20-2006 02:31 PM

Big trade, big trade.

GoneFullHextall 01-20-2006 02:33 PM

they needed a 2nd line forward. Nedved might be soft but id rather have him out there then Brashear

Roger's Pancreas* 01-20-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
they needed a 2nd line forward. Nedved might be soft but id rather have him out there then Brashear

do we get future considerations because for the Coyotes this sounds like a salary dump?

GoneFullHextall 01-20-2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Fedoruk>Nedved>Brashear

do we get future considerations because for the Coyotes this sounds like a salary dump?

I dont know. the story just broke. i would have to think

Telecaster Fanatic 01-20-2006 02:38 PM

Hmm... Well, he better step up his game now. I kinda like this one.

FlyHigh 01-20-2006 02:44 PM

I swear that Clarke must read this board.

Yesterday someone, I can't remember who, was talking about the Flyers need for the 2nd line forwards. This really is a brilliant deal if it's Seidenberg for Nedved. Either Nedved or Handzus can slide into a 2nd line wing spot and I wouldn't be too surprised to see Nedved playing with Carter either.

Kudos to Bobby on a very, very nice move.

EDIT: The only potential problem I see is that Nedved does have a 3 year deal with two years left and he is 34.

MiamiScreamingEagles 01-20-2006 02:48 PM

After watching that debacle last night, the wings/forwards need an upgrade. Sounds good.

MMMcasserole 01-20-2006 02:49 PM

Hmmm... I was under the impression that Seidenberg was a solid young dman and that Nedved has ZERO trade value because he is overpayed and truly does suck at hockey.

But whatever floats Clarke's boat I guess..

:shakehead

MMMcasserole 01-20-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh
EDIT: The only potential problem I see is that Nedved does have a 3 year deal with two years left and he is 34.

I'd say it might also be a problem that he only has two goals this season.

Nuclear 01-20-2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMMcasserole
Hmmm... I was under the impression that Seidenberg was a solid young dman and that Nedved has ZERO trade value because he is overpayed and truly does suck at hockey.

But whatever floats Clarke's boat I guess..

:shakehead

Seidenberg is worse than Therian. We have Pitkanen and Desjardins coming back (Pitkanen back tomorrow, Desjardins coming back in a week+). Freddy Meyer has been playing very well after coming up from the AHL, along with Randy Jones.

We now have Johnnson, Pitkanen, Jones, Meyer, Desjardins, Hatcher, Rathje, and Therian.

Jones could be sent down, and Therian benched for a depth position.

HoverCarle* 01-20-2006 02:54 PM

hopefully well get some conditional draft pick or something else with this. seidenber has more value than nedved. if only it was jones being traded....

Tat2dRich 01-20-2006 02:57 PM

Nice Trade

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranold26
The Philadelphia Flyers have acquired forward Petr Nedved from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for defenceman Dennis Seidenberg. Details to follow...
TSN
Randy

Nice trade, we get rid of Seidenberg and pick up a forward with soft hands and a proven scoring touch, It seems they are pretty sure about Pitkanen and DeJardins if they are ready to offload a defenceman. One thing you can't argue with, Clarkie has never been shy about spending Ed Snyder's money. If you don't think that's worth something, ask Bruins fans.

Tat2dRich 01-20-2006 03:03 PM

You're kidding, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft
hopefully well get some conditional draft pick or something else with this. seidenber has more value than nedved. if only it was jones being traded....

If I was Clarkie, I'd have taken a roll of tape and a bag of warm-up pucks for Dennis Seidenberg. I think this is something of a clue about Primeau's return (or lack thereof) though. The million or so left on Nedved's contract is coming from somewhere,

By the way, has anyone EVER seen Clarkie lose 3 or 4 in a row and not respond with a trade?

Flukeshot 01-20-2006 03:05 PM

The team's gotta be damn close to the cap now. IF and that is a huge if, Primeau comes back would they not be over the cap? Let us hope this isn't some sort of trade made in fear that Forsberg is going to be out a long time.

flyersrock1 01-20-2006 03:05 PM

He has 2 more years at a lot of money. Time will tell but I never was a big fan of Nedved. Very soft. But then Dennis was going no where here so that was no big loss.

mista_lordz 01-20-2006 03:06 PM

Good deal ...

Art Vandelay 01-20-2006 03:08 PM

Nedved's signed for this season and 06/07 nothing else, he signed a 3 year contract in the summer of 2004.

And this should speaks volumes about Primeaus injury situation.

Flukeshot 01-20-2006 03:09 PM

I should also add, though this seems like a nice trade right now, does this not completely remove us from any chance of picking up Weight or another better forward? It could tie Clarke's hands at the trade deadline.

Art Vandelay 01-20-2006 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flukeshot
I should also add, though this seems like a nice trade right now, does this not completely remove us from any chance of picking up Weight or another better forward? It could tie Clarke's hands at the trade deadline.

Of course, but Nedved is a top-6 forward something which most of us have been asking for the entire season. Weight would be preferable but he would also come at a MUCH higher price.

I think there is still rome for a veteran (Carney, Weinrich) d-man and another forward (Sillinger, Ricci).

jb** 01-20-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flukeshot

I would think so unless he flips Nedved to another team in 3 weeks(with Clarke a strong possibility). I donít mind the move just donít understand it as it seems there are better players out there to be had. Maybe the cost of those players is very high as I am sure Clarke did his due diligence. No go get a us a friggin Dman who will solidfy the 6th spot and donít make me cringe every time I see Meyer or Jones or Therian.

pelts35.com 01-20-2006 03:20 PM

I'm not sure if I like the trade or not.

On one hand, it doesn't look like Seidenberg was going to get much/any icetime with the return of Desjardins and Pitkanen.

On the other hand, Nedved is not the prototypical Philadelphia Flyer forward. He hasn't had a very productive season since the 02-03 season (58 points), is well past his prime and makes a lot of money for 2 seasons.

If both players made similar salaries, I would say it's a "garbage for garbage" trade, but it seems to me that this trade prohibits what the Flyers can do the rest of this season and with off-season free agent signings.

BTW, doesn't it seem like over half of the Flyers trades as of late are with the Coyotes?

Blindside9711 01-20-2006 03:24 PM

I really don't mind this deal. Nedved can be soft, but he also has good hands and let's face it, nobody in Phoenix was really lighting it up this year besides maybe Doan and his uber-streakiness.
This gives the Flyers a bona fide 2nd line scoring/playmaking centre and takes some pressure off Richards and Carter to provide secondary scoring. Maybe put Knuble on a line with Nedved because Mikey's tailed off a bit since a hot start and he can open up some more room for Nedved to move around with the puck.

As for Primeau coming back/not coming back... I think this move does speak a little bit about the situation. If moved to the IR, Primeau's salary comes off the books and frees up a little bit more cap space to add a 5/6 blueliner and/or a bottom 6 winger a la Sillinger.

Still not a huge fan of the Savage signing as he isn't producing at all and he's still taking up valuable PP time from guys like Carter & Richards. Best-case scenario we can clear his salary off the books much in the way they did with Hack-job a couple years ago... "Here you go Brian, one dose of vertigo and voila, your contract disappears." Waiving Therien would definitely be a good move too (with Joni and Rico slated to return soon and Meyer and Jones playing pretty respectably)... at least banish him to the AHL. If he has a two-way contract, it'll count for less in the "A" than it would here. Eager needs to come back up too, I don't think the Flyers have won since he was demoted back to the Phantoms.