HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Could Esche be delt?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=214434)

oiled 01-22-2006 09:54 PM

Could Esche be delt??

Hey guys Oilers fan here:

As some of you may know Edmonton is in grave need of a solid tender. One night on HNIC awile ago one of the commentators was saying that the oilers should make a pitch for Esche. With the solid play of Niittymaki do you think that could open the door for Esche to be delt? And is so what are your thoughts on what edmonton would have to give up to get him?.

Oiled

Nuclear 01-22-2006 10:04 PM

Jussi Markkanen, a meh dman, and a 4 rounder?

Gert B Frobe 01-22-2006 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuclear
Jussi Markkanen, a meh dman, and a 4 rounder?

I'd want more than that

NewBreed19 01-22-2006 10:14 PM

How about Morris for Esche? We might deal Cujo at the deadline and Morris might be available , closer to the deadline. He is going to be back from injury after the Olympic break.

NewBreed19 01-22-2006 10:24 PM

Morris + Boucher for Esche+ 4rounder

GKJ 01-22-2006 10:26 PM

Esche would only be dealt if it's well worth it. A capable starting goalie making less than 700K. It would take a lot for me to deal him.

NewBreed19 01-22-2006 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Esche would only be dealt if it's well worth it. A capable starting goalie making less than 700K. It would take a lot for me to deal him.

Esche isn't even your clear cut #1 goalie. I bet Clarke would take Morris for Esche , in a heart beat. We might have to throw a prospect into the deal.

MojoJojo 01-22-2006 11:02 PM

How about Bergeron for Esche? Throw in a pick here or there either way to even things up.

DeleteThisAccount 01-22-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Esche's contract was renegotiated to $1M.

GKJ 01-22-2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battousai
Esche's contract was renegotiated to $1M.

ok...still...find me any NHL starting goalie who makes 6 digits

GKJ 01-22-2006 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
How about Bergeron for Esche? Throw in a pick here or there either way to even things up.

MOC will laugh at that offer. Hard.

FlyHigh 01-22-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

MOC will laugh at that offer. Hard.

I think he means Marc-Andre Bergeron.

DeleteThisAccount 01-22-2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

ok...still...find me any NHL starting goalie who makes 6 digits

Auld, Fleury, Cujo, Lehtonen, Lundqvist, Miller, Niitty (I guess, probably doesn't count yet though).

Granted, these guys are mostly unproven, but Esche only has one real playoff run to his name, too. Even when counting Esche, there's obviously a small market for low-salary, capable starters, so he definitely should yield a bit more than some are suggesting.

BobbyClarkeFan16 01-22-2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oiled
Hey guys Oilers fan here:

As some of you may know Edmonton is in grave need of a solid tender. One night on HNIC awile ago one of the commentators was saying that the oilers should make a pitch for Esche. With the solid play of Niittymaki do you think that could open the door for Esche to be delt? And is so what are your thoughts on what edmonton would have to give up to get him?.

Oiled

Well, Gretzky was dealt, so that pretty much sums up whether the door has been opened for Esche to be dealt. Everybody is tradeable. With regards to getting Esche out of Philadelphia, it's going to cost Edmonton and it won't be cheap.

You can bet that atleast one roster player and one top notch prospect will be asking the price for Esche. However, if we got a prospect like Schremp or Green, it wouldn't surprise me if the roster player was someone like Rita or Dvorak. However, that prospect would have to be top notch.

TheKingPin 01-23-2006 12:07 AM

yea right esche is not leaving. There would have to be a very very good offer. We have two goalies that are playing very well. Esche is our guy, he has proven it. Unless we get young stardom in return ,**** that. The cup is ours this year if we play well and Esche and or Nitty is going to have to be a big part of that. Why screw that up?Although i am sure hat Phx would give up more that they should...you guys make horrible deals.

BobbyClarkeFan16 01-23-2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersphan
yea right esche is not leaving. There would have to be a very very good offer. We have two goalies that are playing very well. Esche is our guy, he has proven it. Unless we get young stardom in return ,**** that. The cup is ours this year if we play well and Esche and or Nitty is going to have to be a big part of that. Why screw that up?Although i am sure hat Phx would give up more that they should...you guys make horrible deals.

if the right deal comes along, anyone is expendible. Right now, we have one goalie that has played really well this season and one goalie that is injury prone and we have to wait before we can see what he can really do. If Edmonton or any team were to offer up their top prospect and a roster player for Esche, I could see the Flyers seriously considering. As for screwing up the roster by moving Esche, give it a rest. He's not the game breaker that he seems to be made out to be. He isn't the 2nd coming of Martin Brodeur or Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy. He isn't proven by any stretch of the imagination either. He had one good year and one good playoff run for us. Until he does that four or five times in a row, then you can't call him proven. Don't forget, Brian Boucher also had an outstanding playoff run for us as well in 2000 - 2001. We all know what happened to Boucher after that too.

DeleteThisAccount 01-23-2006 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
if the right deal comes along, anyone is expendible. Right now, we have one goalie that has played really well this season and one goalie that is injury prone and we have to wait before we can see what he can really do. If Edmonton or any team were to offer up their top prospect and a roster player for Esche, I could see the Flyers seriously considering. As for screwing up the roster by moving Esche, give it a rest. He's not the game breaker that he seems to be made out to be. He isn't the 2nd coming of Martin Brodeur or Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy. He isn't proven by any stretch of the imagination either. He had one good year and one good playoff run for us. Until he does that four or five times in a row, then you can't call him proven. Don't forget, Brian Boucher also had an outstanding playoff run for us as well in 2000 - 2001. We all know what happened to Boucher after that too.

Esche pretty much broke that Penguins game the other day. Pretty much all of what you said applies for Niitty, too. I'm not saying he's untouchable, but he's further along in his development cycle than Niitty is and a little more proven at this level. The Flyers have two very capable goalies that have both started, plus they're at less than $2 million combined. Not many deals will come along to make it worth dumping half of that tandem, IMO.

GKJ 01-23-2006 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battousai
Auld, Fleury, Cujo, Lehtonen, Lundqvist, Miller, Niitty (I guess, probably doesn't count yet though).

Granted, these guys are mostly unproven, but Esche only has one real playoff run to his name, too. Even when counting Esche, there's obviously a small market for low-salary, capable starters, so he definitely should yield a bit more than some are suggesting.

Oh of course I want proven. If we trade Esche I want someone back I surely wouldn't have the worry about. Auld isn't really a starter and Miller splits his time.

stanley 01-23-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I think he means Marc-Andre Bergeron.

O'Connell would still laugh.

He's an easily amused guy.

---------------------

If they trade Esche, they'd still need an NHL goaltender in return. In order to do that, they'd have to send salary the other way in addition to what they'd receive as a real commodity for Esche if it were going to work logistically and financially.

I'm not claiming it's fair or not fair, just pointing out how I believe it would have to happen.

I think that if Esche gets traded, it's going to be in the off-season. All things considered (injuries to Esche, Niittymaki a rookie), their goaltending has really been a bright spot this season.