HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Kurtis Foster... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=214481)

thestonedkoala 01-23-2006 02:15 AM

Kurtis Foster...

I'm curious about this guy. He already has 18 points in 28 games, a good number of points for a defenseman but he is a -1. He has more points than Kuba, and Kuba is our two-way defenseman. I'm wondering why he has never caught on anywhere? Is it that we are just desperate for an offensive-defenseman? Or is he that good?

Chrisd 01-23-2006 02:36 AM

he's that good. he finishes his chances unlike our other D-men. He isn't afraid to fire it on net and let things happen.

I liked his goal the other night, pinched in on the right side got a nice pass from behind the net and buried it.

The Big E 01-23-2006 01:11 PM

The thing we've been missing in a D-Man is one who will regularly sneak up the weak side for cross ice tap in. Foster sees that play and can finish them. Now we can play two D-Men on the power play as well, Foster's got a howitzer of a shot and is a good quarterback.

Atlanta played him a bit but obviously weren't that impressed. I'm just thinking that Foster realized he'd really have to produce and what he'd have to do to accomplish it. Its strange how a little adversity will make someone rebound better and stronger than before.

I'm just glad he's playing for us.

The Big E

firstroundbust 01-23-2006 03:46 PM

I like it

I think Foster has finally developed to the point where he is reaching his potential, and we just happened to get him.

and now he's throwing his body around.

he is going to be a fixture on the blueline for years to come...

Wild Bill 01-23-2006 05:31 PM

Meh, the only thing I really like about his game is his shot...he keeps it low for the most part...something that most Wild D-men can't do.

He might have found his niche here or we could be looking at the next Andy Delmore...hopefully it's not the latter...

Sorry to be so negative...JMO

firstroundbust 01-23-2006 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet E. Sax
Meh, the only thing I really like about his game is his shot...he keeps it low for the most part...something that most Wild D-men can't do.

He might have found his niche here or we could be looking at the next Andy Delmore...hopefully it's not the latter...

take it back heathen! :madfire:

bert 01-23-2006 10:47 PM

He is far more physical then Delmore he is way bigger too.

vitogor 01-24-2006 12:35 AM

Quote:

I like Foster so far, but the comparison to An_y _elmore has creeped in to my head as well, I must admit. And it's not because of something he has (or hasn't) done, it's just the way he has burst into the league out of nowhere, much like _elmore, and started scoring a bunch of goals. Besides, the scoop on Foster was that he doesn't really know how to play D. On the other hand, I don't think Lemaire would have anyone play for him if that player didn't know how to play defense (with the obvious exception of Zyuzin, but that's for a different thread ;) ). Foster is a very good skater, so he fits well with the team, and JL can teach him the rest I'm sure.

Wild Bill 01-24-2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #16
I like Foster so far, but the comparison to An_y _elmore has creeped in to my head as well, I must admit. And it's not because of something he has (or hasn't) done, it's just the way he has burst into the league out of nowhere, much like _elmore, and started scoring a bunch of goals. Besides, the scoop on Foster was that he doesn't really know how to play D. On the other hand, I don't think Lemaire would have anyone play for him if that player didn't know how to play defense (with the obvious exception of Zyuzin, but that's for a different thread ;) ). Foster is a very good skater, so he fits well with the team, and JL can teach him the rest I'm sure.

It's hard not to. Too much, too soon. I'm afraid of when the dust settles. He's doing some things right as of now, but we've seen similar stretches from defensemen on this team that have become liabilities (i.e. Andrei "MOFO" Zyuzin). He still has alot to learn defensively. I also bet that his pinching on the weak side on some of those nice plays he made were his idea and not Jacques'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on him, just a bit skeptical. The talent and potential is there, just needs to do it more than a couple dozen games. I'm sure he'll get the chance.

AHF 01-24-2006 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #16
An_y _elmore

:biglaugh:

Foster has been a great waiver pick up in my pool. :)

schrottkind 01-24-2006 08:27 AM

What do you think would the Wild get if they trade him on deadline day? A first rounder?

Chrisd 01-24-2006 08:32 AM

I doubt he'd garner a 1st, his track record isn't proven enough yet.

But it's a moot point, he ain't getting traded.

Now willie mitchell or kuba on the other hand..........

firstroundbust 01-24-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisd
I doubt he'd garner a 1st, his track record isn't proven enough yet.

But it's a moot point, he ain't getting traded.

Now willie mitchell or kuba on the other hand..........

kuba is as good as gone imo

foster can and will do everything kuba does

Wild Bill 01-24-2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeuceUNO

Who's gonna deliver the bone crushing hits and bring an overall energy needed to...wait, I confused Kuba with someone else... ;)

firstroundbust 01-24-2006 11:09 PM

Quote:

Who's gonna deliver the bone crushing hits and bring an overall energy needed to...wait, I confused Kuba with someone else... ;)

seriously watching kuba race a forechecker for a loose puck was like watching slow motion...

Wild Bill 01-25-2006 03:13 AM

Quote:

seriously watching kuba race a forechecker for a loose puck was like watching slow motion...

It's too bad. He has the tools. Big frame, decent wheels, adequate shot, endurance, etc., just seems like desire might be an issue.

Sometimes his game gives off a sluggish feel to me, like he's just trying to fill minutes or not get benched or something, rather than be the contributor he could be. I dunno.

ceber 01-25-2006 06:39 AM

Kuba wants to always make the safe play. When it works, it works well but he's not very noticable since safe plays aren't that exciting. When it doesn't work, he ends up looking kinda bad, in my opinion.

The Big E 01-25-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #16

... And don't forget that we have Mike Ramsey coaching Foster. I agree that Foster will learn from the best ... MR and JL.

The Big E

Wild Thing 01-25-2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Well, I don't know. It's gonna take a lot of coaching to get him to start missing the net by 20 feet on his slap shot from the point.

firstroundbust 01-27-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Thing
Well, I don't know. It's gonna take a lot of coaching to get him to start missing the net by 20 feet on his slap shot from the point.

lol

schrottkind 02-01-2006 06:53 PM

Speaking of players called up from Houston - any chance we will ever see Kirby Law or Erik Westrum in a Wild uniform? They have impressive numbers at AHL level and I wonder if they could also collect some points in the NHL.

thestonedkoala 02-01-2006 07:06 PM

Never, because of that stupid waiver thingie...

You also forgot, WT, that Foster will have to learn how to turn the puck over to the other team in the Wild defensive zone...

schrottkind 02-01-2006 07:26 PM

Waiver thingie? Explain that to me, please... I'm not too familiar with that American waiver rules.

Chrisd 02-01-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
Never, because of that stupid waiver thingie...

You also forgot, WT, that Foster will have to learn how to turn the puck over to the other team in the Wild defensive zone...

it was in the paper the other day that the wild could actually call up westrum anytime they want. They might do it in the next few days if they need a center. Westrum wouldnt have to go through waivers if we called him up, something to do with his salary, but we are free to call him up.

ceber 02-01-2006 08:21 PM

I think Walters had it wrong. Didn't Westrum have to clear waivers when he was sent down this fall? If he had to clear on the way down, he'd have to clear on the way up, unless there's an IR loophole or something. 'Least that's how I thought it worked.