HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Jerred Smithson Appreciation Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=214676)

crossxcheck 01-23-2006 05:14 PM

Jerred Smithson Appreciation Thread

I just wanted to publicly say that I think he's been a very unnoticed asset to the team over the last month in adding some size to the lineup and his pk abilities. He just brings a little extra something to the team and always hustles. He's becoming one of my favorite players, surprisingly. I'd hate to seem him placed on waivers. Is anyone else on my side?

triggrman 01-23-2006 05:23 PM

me. I'd take Smithson over Fiddler personally. The way I see it, Fiddler is more of a utility player while Smithson is a role player. Smithson role is banger and big center. Fiddler is more of a jack of all trades but master of none type player.

handtrick 01-23-2006 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossxcheck
I just wanted to publicly say that I think he's been a very unnoticed asset to the team over the last month in adding some size to the lineup and his pk abilities. He just brings a little extra something to the team and always hustles. He's becoming one of my favorite players, surprisingly. I'd hate to seem him placed on waivers. Is anyone else on my side?

I'll give you an Amen, brother. I also agree with Trig's contrast of Smithson and Fiddler.

If I am Poile, and push comes to shove, and I have to lose Smithson, Fiddler, Nichol, or Johnson to waivers because of a roster move.....I hope he does the right thing for the LONG-TERM good of the organization.

Seth Lake 01-23-2006 05:50 PM

Me too! I really like Smithson and what he brings to the ice every single night. I think he brings the same consistent effort to the rink, night in and night out, regardless of how much time he gets.

The future of the NHL is to have three scoring lines and a checking line. Smithson can very easily prove to be a great checking line center given more experience. He is an above average skater for a big guy and is very smart on the rink. He can cycle in the corners with the grinders on his wings, check the opposing team's top scorer, and kill penalties with ease. He also excels on faceoffs and has the ability to play the wing, which makes him even more valuable.

Personally, I don't want to lose either Fiddler or Smtihson on waivers because I think they can both be very productive players for us in upcoming years at a reasonable price, which will enable us to have more cap room to pursue a star center and/or a big, physical defenseman if needed.

Seth Lake 01-23-2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
If I am Poile, and push comes to shove, and I have to lose Smithson, Fiddler, Nichol, or Johnson to waivers because of a roster move.....I hope he does the right thing for the LONG-TERM good of the organization.

Agreed...as much as we want to believe we're a contender this season...we still must look beyond this season and make some decisions (not all) based on the long term good of the organization.

We don't have much depth in the organization at center, therefore I believe we must look at moving a veteran center (Nichol or Johnson) before we move one of our younger centers that have been performing all season and playing in all game situations.

Thankfully, we still have a little time before we have to make this decision...I'd personally like to see what Nichol contributes to the team upon his return (tonight?) before I make any decisions. We still need to stay healthy...that's been a problem this season if your a center on this team as well (Perreault is our only center to have played in every game this season so far...isn't he? Tell me you would have said that during training camp.).