HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Meyer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=215020)

tytech 01-24-2006 12:54 PM

Meyer

I see this guys name come up when we talk D injuries, trades, matchups potential etc and he doesn't get much credit. He's usually given low 5th or 6th D-men potential.

Personally I like the guy a lot. A pleasant surprise. He is crafty, sleek, skilled and very creative. He is also calm for a rookie. He can point a power play, carry the puck up from behind our net and can make smart/safe plays under pressure. Like any rookie there are some costly turnovers but that is part of the learning process.
I think he is identical to Kapanen and sometimes I can't tell who it is. He is definitely better than Jones, Seids and Therrien. I'm thinking with time he could be a 3rd or 4th for sure.
Thoughts.

phlacheesesteak 01-24-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
I see this guys name come up when we talk D injuries, trades, matchups potential etc and he doesn't get much credit. He's usually given low 5th or 6th D-men potential.

Personally I like the guy a lot. A pleasant surprise. He is crafty, sleek, skilled and very creative. He is also calm for a rookie. He can point a power play, carry the puck up from behind our net and can make smart/safe plays under pressure. Like any rookie there are some costly turnovers but that is part of the learning process.
I think he is identical to Kapanen and sometimes I can't tell who it is. He is definitely better than Jones, Seids and Therrien. I'm thinking with time he could be a 3rd or 4th for sure.
Thoughts.

Before they brought him up i thought he was good and expected him to do well. But i didnt think he would be doing so much while being so good at it. What suprised me the most since they brought him up is that Hitch uses him on the Point on th PP so much. I think he looks great there tho. I def think his potential is widening as he is showing the skills at this level he showed in the AHL, and not being overly inconsistant at it also.

jb** 01-24-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Thoughts.

There is no way at all he can become a 3 or 4th. IMO he is nothing more than a depth dman possibly 6th at best. I donít see him in the light that you do though. He has played well at times but the more he plays the more he will be exposed for what he is IMO. They need an upgrade at that position for the playoffs.

jb** 01-24-2006 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfphillystyle
Before they brought him up i thought he was good and expected him to do well. But i didnt think he would be doing so much while being so good at it. What suprised me the most since they brought him up is that Hitch uses him on the Point on th PP so much. I think he looks great there tho. I def think his potential is widening as he is showing the skills at this level he showed in the AHL, and not being overly inconsistant at it also.

He is being used on the point because they donít have many options. Rathje is to slow with his shot. Jones, Therian donít think so.

1865 01-24-2006 01:14 PM

Quote:

Thoughts.

Well, my new jersey is between him and Pitkanen. The man has been the surprise of the season for me, even more than Gagne. He's strong, can certainly stick up for himself and has a lethal wrister (as shown against the Canes the other night). He's gonna be a top 4 defenseman at least.

phlacheesesteak 01-24-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWO
He is being used on the point because they donít have many options. Rathje is to slow with his shot. Jones, Therian donít think so.

I assumed that Rathje would be used on the powerplay over him, but your right. There arent many options. Im definantly pleased with Hatcher this year also. Talking about shots tho, Meyer has a beauty, and Picard's is wicked heavy/hard. I forget, was Picard used at the point at all last night? will he be for tomorrow? MTl is speedy, but havent done much as of late. Tomorrow's game would be a great one to go to, i wish i could go.

easton122 01-24-2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

I think he is identical to Kapanen and sometimes I can't tell who it is.

2 small guys who wear 34 and 24.

JXC 01-24-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Thoughts.

I love him. Dunno about Cup calibre 3rd or 4th, but he's a solid thirt pairing guy.

All the things I like about defensemen I see in Freddy. He takes the body well, and typically only at appropriate times, using his body to wall off people and punish people from time to time without running all over the ice looking to bruise. His passing is crisp. He's got some neat little slick moves in tight quarters. Good skating ability. Good shot.

I love the guy.

Coburnfan05 01-24-2006 04:26 PM

I think he has done a much better job then people thought he would. He is a shifty skater who is sound positinaly...now if we coould only add 4-5 inches and 25 lbs.

A little off topic, but I also liked the way Picard played last night. Thought he played better then Jones, maybe he should be given some more consideration too.

BringBackStevens 01-24-2006 11:31 PM

this guy is definitly a 2nd pairing guy IMO.

hes one of the best flyers defensively when it comes to 1 v 1 or odd man breaks. hes excellent positionally and takes the body very well.

with picard looking great this team looks solid on D for a long time to come.

tytech 01-25-2006 11:08 AM

besides a few duds it seems the general consensus is that this guy is pretty good and we all look forward to seeing what he can bring in the future. Those of you saying career AHL or 5-6th best obviously watch nightly highlights and not the actual games on center ice.

JXC 01-25-2006 01:51 PM

Quote:

besides a few duds it seems the general consensus is that this guy is pretty good and we all look forward to seeing what he can bring in the future. Those of you saying career AHL or 5-6th best obviously watch nightly highlights and not the actual games on center ice.

I watch every game. I love the guy. But second pairing in a Cup calibre lineup? Stretch.

JXC 01-25-2006 02:00 PM

Anyone up for a Meyer Iso Scorecard tonight?

Great Play (goal, booming hit) +3
Good Play (booming check, pickpocket) +2
Solid Play (like walling a guy off on the boards or a simple poke check, good outlet pass) +1

Mistake (getting passed on the boards, bad pinch, poor pass) -1
Bad Play (defenseive zone turnover, out of position) -2
Horrid Play (goal) -3

I'd like to compare notes.

Maybe we can do it for Carter some other time.

i am dave 01-25-2006 02:02 PM

All I know was that I didn't think much of Meyer's play during the AHL Playoffs. But I am very very impressed with his transition to the NHL. I think he can definitely aspire to a #4 d-man (which would be 2nd pairing). I don't think that's a stretch at all.

BringBackStevens 01-25-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC

Solid Play (like walling a guy off on the boards or a simple poke check, good outlet pass) +1

Horrid Play (goal) -3

if i remember ill keep track... and we can compare. i think you rate him a little low so i'm interested to see what this would reflect on his abilities over a few games.

FlyHigh 01-25-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC

Horrid Play (goal) -3

I like the idea, but be fair to the kid, he's not big enough to give booming hits and checks consistently. His strength is solid positioning and good overall defensive play.

jcab2000 01-25-2006 03:25 PM

All I can say is that this season, the Flyers have been saved by Clarke's ability to stack the Phantoms with defensemen capable of playing in the NHL. In other years, this would have been incredibly ugly. I mean the Flyers have used 11 d-men this year! Pitkanen, Hatcher, Rathje, Johnsson, Desjardins, Therien, Seidenberg, Jones, Meyer, Skolney and Picard.

bodangleroo28 01-25-2006 03:53 PM

alot of people were saying we should draft a defenseman but i dont know anymore we have pretty good youth back their

CNote 01-26-2006 10:45 AM

He looked good against the Habs last night (aside form a couple of bad shot selections).

They mentioned that Hitchcock likens him to Rafalski...I like the comparison a lot.

-Cnote-

Stonehands77 01-26-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNote
He looked good against the Habs last night (aside form a couple of bad shot selections).

They mentioned that Hitchcock likens him to Rafalski...I like the comparison a lot.

-Cnote-

I noticed that comparison made during another game, as well...can't recall which one right now. Not sure I completely buy it, especially since I don't think he's as good as Rafalski, but I can see some similarities. I do like how he's been playing. Best of the kids to play on defense this year, I think.

Blindside9711 01-26-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyer6
alot of people were saying we should draft a defenseman but i dont know anymore we have pretty good youth back their

We do... but aside from Pitkanen, there's nobody that can play 1st or 2nd pair consistently on a Cup-contending team.
Meyer, while playing very well, we don't know what his upside is for sure, likely a solid #5-6 guy when Joni, Kim and Rico are back (putting Therien in the press box). Picard, called up and played reasonably well but is too raw to contribute consistently for another 1-2 seasons probably. Jones, I don't see him being capable of a consistent NHL workload without too many costly mistakes. Printz is a wild card, he's been highly touted by a few scouts and lambasted by others for being cement-footed and stone-handed.
Guys like Skolney, Wood and Hope I don't believe are capable of handling an NHL workload either.

What other youth do we have on the blueline?
Yeah. We definitely have to draft some projected 1st & 2nd pair d-men as well as a couple wingers that can show some finish around the net.

sandtoorr 01-26-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
All I know was that I didn't think much of Meyer's play during the AHL Playoffs. But I am very very impressed with his transition to the NHL. I think he can definitely aspire to a #4 d-man (which would be 2nd pairing). I don't think that's a stretch at all.

That's crazy. He was the Phantom's second best dman in the playoffs ... playing in all situations and doing it well. The only guy I felt was better was Pitkanen. In fact, I think Mckeens even did a decent sized write up on Meyer due to his performance during those playoffs.

TheKingPin 01-26-2006 06:06 PM

I agree that Meyer has done very well. However with the return of KJ and Joni They sent down Picard and Meyer leaving Jones as the last rookie on D. I myself keep Meyer and send down Therin.

BringBackStevens 01-26-2006 09:13 PM

anyone know why on earth we sent down meyer and kept up jones?
meyer has been looking better and better everygame and adds a lot to the team, jones i just dont see as an NHL guy

Gags1288 01-26-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylez19
anyone know why on earth we sent down meyer and kept up jones?
meyer has been looking better and better everygame and adds a lot to the team, jones i just dont see as an NHL guy

I think it has a lot to do with style of play. They probably think of Meyers as a decent replacement for Pitkanen and Johnsson as offensive, puck moving d-men. They probably think Jones is more like Desjardins and that's the only guy they're missing right now. The scary thought is that many has Meyers as the #6 when we're healthy. This seems to mean that when Desjarinds comes back, he takes the spot of Jones, and Therien remains in our top 6. God, we just can't get rid of that guy.