HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I'm afraid this year is lost (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=215527)

JXC 01-25-2006 09:59 PM

I'm afraid this year is lost

Forsberg is physically unable to go four straight games, let alone four playoff series. Primeau's not coming back. I fear Radivojevic is done for the year. Brashear, Savage, and Therien are empty tank veterans, and the adrenalin has worn off for Carter, Richards, Umberger, with Jones and Meyer soon to follow.

30 wins at present with 31 games left. I'm not sure they're gonna make it to 42.

Sobering.

FearTheFlyers 01-25-2006 10:00 PM

Really?

Don't know what to say except for you have a serious lack of patience and faith.

Olympic break coming up soon.

KasparKrunch 01-25-2006 11:08 PM

ranger fan here... i think you are totally off base...i know i should have more faith in my team but i don't see us catching you. your goaltending situation is the same as ours, but you have much more talent. the year is not lost for the flyers. the thing i would be most worried about is nedved. yeah he is doing decent now but it will end soon. he takes like 2-3 penalties a game. his scoring will surely drop. this is what it was like when he came to rangers originally from pittsburgh- decent first month than he completely dropped.

JXC 01-25-2006 11:21 PM

I think the Flyers are in trouble. When you're running Don Brashear out there on a third line, you in big trouble! They have accumulated 30 wins somewhat on the backs of rookies who are now running on fumes.

Tampa Bay, Sabres, and Rangers x 2 in the next 10 days. I'm just the first one on the Panic Wagon; there will be more at the end of this four game stretch.

TheZherdev 01-25-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC
Forsberg is physically unable to go four straight games, let alone four playoff series. Primeau's not coming back. I fear Radivojevic is done for the year. Brashear, Savage, and Therien are empty tank veterans, and the adrenalin has worn off for Carter, Richards, Umberger, with Jones and Meyer soon to follow.

30 wins at present with 31 games left. I'm not sure they're gonna make it to 42.

Sobering.

Right...your telling me the flyers cant win more than 12 of their next 31 games? Come on have a little more faith in your team. Its just like with us ranger fans. We get a bad loss and all of a sudden everyone on the board goes "The old rangers are back. We suck" You guys lost to a red hot bulis tonight, nothing more.

sansan 01-25-2006 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC
I think the Flyers are in trouble. When you're running Don Brashear out there on a third line, you in big trouble! They have accumulated 30 wins somewhat on the backs of rookies who are now running on fumes.

Tampa Bay, Sabres, and Rangers x 2 in the next 10 days. I'm just the first one on the Panic Wagon; there will be more at the end of this four game stretch.

It's definitely going to be a challenge. But I think it's a stretch to say that it's a lost season based on a couple games. Panic isn't really necessary yet. Have some faith.

BobbyClarkeFan16 01-25-2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
Right...your telling me the flyers cant win more than 12 of their next 31 games? Come on have a little more faith in your team. Its just like with us ranger fans. We get a bad loss and all of a sudden everyone on the board goes "The old rangers are back. We suck" You guys lost to a red hot bulis tonight, nothing more.

Craptacular goaltending also played a huge part.

The Kingslayer 01-25-2006 11:52 PM

Make it to the playoffs and dont worry about forsberg

BobbyClarkeFan16 01-25-2006 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC
Forsberg is physically unable to go four straight games, let alone four playoff series.

The training staff should not have let him come back until he was ready. There's something really wrong with the training staff that we have in that we've probably suffered more groin injuries than any other team in the league.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC
Primeau's not coming back. I fear Radivojevic is done for the year.

Yep, gotta agree with that. I'm glad that Clarke told Primeau that if he can't go after the Olympics, he's being replaced. It's clear that without Primeau in the lineup, players have used that as an excuse not to play because there's no fear of reprecussion from their captain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC
Brashear, Savage, and Therien are empty tank veterans

They should have never been signed or they should have been bought out. This one of those cases where the bias of veterans over youngsters was prevalent. None of those three have any endearing qualities to the team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC
the adrenalin has worn off for Carter, Richards, Umberger, with Jones and Meyer soon to follow.

I beg to differ on that one. This is the time where they should be letting the youngsters run wild. Carter and Umberger only get 11 minutes of ice time per game. I watch them and they don't look tired, they look disinterested. And honestly, when you see a team of Brian Savages and Donald Brashears getting ice time and you have to scrape and claw to get it, would you not really care what happens? They play good games and there's no reward of more ice time. It's just the same old, same old.

This team has followed the same old course for too long. This is a team that refuses to open it up when they're down a goal or two and this is a team that sits on a one goal lead going into the third period. This is also a team that has no killer instinct when it comes to finishing off teams and this is a team that allows itself to be beaten by the lesser thans of the league. And the most frustrating thing is that you don't hear any of the players get angry. You listen to them and there's always an excuse. I just wish someone would stand up, be a leader for this team and tell everyone in the dressing room the way it is and how things are going to be done. Not one. We have a collection of gutless players right now and it's become real sickening to watch.

BigTimer* 01-26-2006 12:27 AM

You guys need Keith.

FlyHigh 01-26-2006 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC

Sobering.

You can read my post in the GDT for full thoughts, but basically, have some faith in the team. I will sport any avatar you want for 2 weeks if they don't make it to 42 wins, 12 out of 31 should be easily doable.

Enoch 01-26-2006 01:24 AM

Forsberg has been bugged with groin problems for the past two seasons. However, you have to do something drastic (See Norstrom on his spleen) to cause him to miss any playoff games. If you get to the playoffs, you will see why he is one of the most prolific playoff performers in the history of this sport. Its hard to imagine him elevating his game, but he did every year with the Avs despite being beaten up...

Team_Spirit 01-26-2006 01:53 AM

I'd like to add that Nedved isin't a good pickup . That's the 2nd game see him play with the Flyers and im not impressed . From the little i saw from Seidenberg he looked better than some of your guys on D .

I also think Nitty is better than Esche but don't have much experience , anyways see you next time we face each other .

Gozer 01-26-2006 01:54 AM

I agree with Enoch. It's in the playoff he is at his finest. I'm sure he has a lot more to give than he's showing right now.

GoneFullHextall 01-26-2006 02:15 AM

how long before the Doug Weight to the Flyers rumors start?

Gags1288 01-26-2006 02:20 AM

The Flyers are a completely different club with Johnsson and Pitkanen in the lineup. You get these two back soon and the Flyers will be fine. Give Forsberg some time off, tell him to think real hard about playing in the olympics (hope he opts out) and regroup during the break. This team will still win the division and if we're the three seed, well then we're going to have to figure out a way to win on the road. But this team can win playing defense first hockey if they have more than 3 of their defenseman, so they're going to just have to continue winning ugly until they get some players back.

This season is not close to lost, this is just typical overreacting. Even if by some miracle, the Flyers don't win the division, we're still going to be a top 6 seed and if we're healthy come playoff time, we're still one of the best 2 teams in the NHL. Think of this as a positive. Our youngsters get to assume a large role on this team and that can only help them for the playoffs. They'll hopefully gain more confidence and I guarantee Clarke adds some pieces at the deadline. It's not time to panic yet, even after tonight's pathetic display.

Gags1288 01-26-2006 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
I'd like to add that Nedved isin't a good pickup . That's the 2nd game see him play with the Flyers and im not impressed . From the little i saw from Seidenberg he looked better than some of your guys on D .

I also think Nitty is better than Esche but don't have much experience , anyways see you next time we face each other .

Nitty is better than Esche and Seidenberg is probably better right now than either Jones or Picard. But the problem there is that neither of those guys are top 7 defenseman on the Flyers. Who knew that after dealing Seidenberg, Pitkanen would have a set back and Johnsson would get hurt?

I don't mind Nedved at all. He's got 3 points in 3 games, all goals from our 2nd PP unit. If all he does for this team is help that unit, it will be a good pickup for the Flyers.

Gags1288 01-26-2006 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTimer
You guys need Keith.

We need Johnsson, Pitkanen, Desjardins, and Forsberg a heck of a lot more though. We can win games without Forsberg and we can win games without a few of our top 4 d-men, but we can't win games without 3 of our top 4 and Forsberg.

South Beach 01-26-2006 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288
Nitty is better than Esche and Seidenberg is probably better right now than either Jones or Picard. But the problem there is that neither of those guys are top 7 defenseman on the Flyers. Who knew that after dealing Seidenberg, Pitkanen would have a set back and Johnsson would get hurt?

I don't mind Nedved at all. He's got 3 points in 3 games, all goals from our 2nd PP unit. If all he does for this team is help that unit, it will be a good pickup for the Flyers.

Jones had a good game. He was on for one goal only and ended up with a +1. Veterans were on for the others with Rathje at a -3 and Therien a -2. He also had two assists. I think you're only looking for his faults rather than his overall play. He had one bad game since he came up with the flyers but apparently you do not want to move on. The veterans made more mistakes than he did. For sh-t's sake he's only played 12 games.

PF1967 01-26-2006 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
This team has followed the same old course for too long. This is a team that refuses to open it up when they're down a goal or two and this is a team that sits on a one goal lead going into the third period. This is also a team that has no killer instinct when it comes to finishing off teams and this is a team that allows itself to be beaten by the lesser thans of the league. And the most frustrating thing is that you don't hear any of the players get angry. You listen to them and there's always an excuse. I just wish someone would stand up, be a leader for this team and tell everyone in the dressing room the way it is and how things are going to be done. Not one. We have a collection of gutless players right now and it's become real sickening to watch.

Right on!

dedalus 01-26-2006 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288

I thought Nedved skated pretty well last night, but it was a fairly nondescript overall game for him. A -2 and no shots on goal in 18+ minutes of play isn't good enough. Nedved needs to shoot because he's got a good shot.

Last night was the perfect half-full/half-empty game that Nedved often gives and that makes you scratch your head.

JXC 01-26-2006 08:43 AM

Good replies all.

Given who is out of the lineup, gloom and doom is likely unwarranted.

That's if they're coming back.

Jester 01-26-2006 09:54 AM

ah... Negadelphia rears its head.

South Beach 01-26-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
ah... Negadelphia rears its head.

Good one!

Stonehands77 01-26-2006 09:56 AM

This thread is completely ridiculous. "This year is lost"...when they're still one of the top teams in the East? I'm glad to see your last post admits this is completely unwarranted. Make any other top team in the league have this level of injuries, and see how well they do. Was last night's game disappointing? No question it was...I cursed at the TV and wanted to throw stuff. But make me give up on the season? Are you insane? This is a good team. Forsberg will go for the playoffs...as others have pointed out, it took a ruptured spleen to make him miss the playoffs before. With Johnsson coming back (and using a face shield. Why on earth more players don't do that is beyond me, but that's another discussion) and Pitkanen due back soon, this team will improve greatly. How could it not, since that means that Therien won't be playing so much? :)

There probably will be some moves coming, as the forward corps needs some more upgrading. I'm still puzzled by the Nedved move a bit, but if he starts using his shot, that'd be great...and really, I can't complain too much. He's had a point in each game he played for the Flyers, and if he can provide some spark for the 2nd PP unit, that would be great. I'd like to see the Flyers acquire someone better at the deadline, but really, I'll leave that to the people on the trade board to propose stuff. Oh, and if they could get rid of Savage, I'd be happy with that. He just doesn't produce, despite all the effort he puts in.