HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Reason why Malakhov was tossed (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=21587)

Brooklyn Ranger 10-21-2003 10:45 AM

Reason why Malakhov was tossed

It wasn't because of his face shield (as someone suggested elsewhere). A player can fight with with a face shield, however,

"If a player penalized as an instigator of an altercation is wearing a face shield, he shall be assessed an additional Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty." (rule 56a)

The reason why Malakhov and Horton were thrown out is because of rule 56f which says

f) A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who is assessed a major penalty for fighting after the original altercation.

The Malakhov's fight started significantly after the original bout began.

Rulebook at nhl.com

Davisian 10-21-2003 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
It wasn't because of his face shield (as someone suggested elsewhere). A player can fight with with a face shield, however,

"If a player penalized as an instigator of an altercation is wearing a face shield, he shall be assessed an additional Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty." (rule 56a)

The reason why Malakhov and Horton were thrown out is because of rule 56f which says

f) A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who is assessed a major penalty for fighting after the original altercation.

Rulebook at nhl.com

Which is strange considering Cornelius and Barnaby were very close to doing the same damn thing..

Ahh consistency..

Leetchie 10-21-2003 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger

Stupid rule, imho. If I'm going head to head with some guy and want to fight him, I can't if my teammate is already fighting someone? I understand that there's only two linesmen and at most, two referees, but what happens when there's 3, 4, 5, even 6 fights at once? It's rare, but does everyone get tossed except the first two?

True Blue 10-21-2003 11:19 AM

Doesn't it matter that Malakhov did nothing to start the fight? I'm not a Malakhov fan, but what was he supposed to do? Just keep letting Horton punch him? I can see that rule if both players are trying to get at each other. However in this case, Horton was clearly the aggressor. What irks me is that it occured right in front of a ref. Horton was beginning to punch. WasMalakhov just supposed to stand there and let him?
I guess it did not matter much to the refs yesterday who was actually at fauld or actually swinging. After all, they assessed a 5 minute fighting major to Simon despite the fact that he did not swing at anyone. Ilja clearly jumped on Simon with gloves dropped. How does lying on the ice while someone jumps on you considered fighting? :dunno:
The reffing was outright atrocious last night. Simon getting called for elbowing when it was pretty clear that Trinka was the one who threw an elbow. Just a bad, bad night for judgement.

Av-merican 10-21-2003 11:24 AM

Malakhov shouldn't have been tossed out. He should've been benched...

SML 10-21-2003 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
Which is strange considering Cornelius and Barnaby were very close to doing the same damn thing..

Ahh consistency..

Actually, if you watch the replay, the two fights happened almost at exactly the same moment. In fact, it shows Barnaby and Corny going befroe they ever pan in on Simon and Hordichuk

kazo 10-21-2003 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
Doesn't it matter that Malakhov did nothing to start the fight? I'm not a Malakhov fan, but what was he supposed to do? Just keep letting Horton punch him? I can see that rule if both players are trying to get at each other. However in this case, Horton was clearly the aggressor. What irks me is that it occured right in front of a ref. Horton was beginning to punch. WasMalakhov just supposed to stand there and let him?
I guess it did not matter much to the refs yesterday who was actually at fauld or actually swinging. After all, they assessed a 5 minute fighting major to Simon despite the fact that he did not swing at anyone. Ilja clearly jumped on Simon with gloves dropped. How does lying on the ice while someone jumps on you considered fighting? :dunno:
The reffing was outright atrocious last night. Simon getting called for elbowing when it was pretty clear that Trinka was the one who threw an elbow. Just a bad, bad night for judgement.

It makes no difference what Malakov or, for that matter, Horton had done. An altercation had already begun beween Ilya and Simon so the other who were automatically gone. As would anyone else who had gotten involved. Thank you, Mr. Bettman.

Laches 10-22-2003 08:00 PM

If they really wanted to sanction the Rangers for Malakhov's conduct, they would have forced them to put Malakhov the ice for at least half the time for the rest of the game, including the final two minutes.

Brooklyn Ranger 10-23-2003 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laches
If they really wanted to sanction the Rangers for Malakhov's conduct, they would have forced them to put Malakhov the ice for at least half the time for the rest of the game, including the final two minutes.

Actually watching the Rangers' bench try to adjust and play only 5 defenseman in the 3rd period was punishment enough!