HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Steen explodes in SEL action! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=21638)

Doug Evinou 10-21-2003 02:24 PM

Steen explodes in SEL action!

Alex Steen registered a goal and three assists in Frolunda's game against the MIF Redhawks. His team would go on to lose the game in overtime, by a score of 5-4. Steen has really responded to his promotion to the top scoring line, and has taken over his team's lead in scoring from Magnus Kahnberg, a Carolina draft pick. Steen now has 14 points in 12 games (5 goals and 9 assists), and sits sixth in the league scoring race.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/news.php?news=564

leafaholix* 10-21-2003 02:40 PM

I'm sure he'll cool off later on, but if he puts up 30-40 points, I think that'll be absolutely amazing for a 20 year old kid.

If anyone wants to catch the games live on the net, go to swehockey.se.

sluggo* 10-21-2003 02:44 PM

Goods, its really showing that Steen can play against men, not just boys.

Predatore 10-21-2003 02:48 PM

Steen looks like a SEL-star right now. He is all over the ice, taking great responsibilities and scoring a lot of points.
Still a bit early to tell but if he continues playing like this I'm sure this will be Steen's last SEL season for quite a while.

He should be quite the attraction in the WJC this year, especially now when top prospect Robert Nilsson has lost his ability to score (1+0 so far!).

Anyway, I will catch a game with Steen on Thursday and if I notice anything special I'll let you all know :)

Volcanologist 10-21-2003 02:49 PM

Oh My God!!!

Is He Ok???

:)

loveshack2 10-21-2003 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Oh My God!!!

Is He Ok???

:lol: Nice :joker:

sluggo* 10-21-2003 02:53 PM

When is the WJC?

Johnny 10-21-2003 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=sluggo]When is the WJC?[/QUOTE

Just after Christmas.

Brock 10-21-2003 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Oh My God!!!

Is He Ok???

LOL, ah brilliant!

Brock 10-21-2003 02:59 PM

This is awesome for Steen.

I was very impressed by what I saw at the WJC's last year and It's great to see him explode in the SEL.

By the end of the year, naming the Leafs top prospect wont be as easy as it was the past few seasons, Steen seems like he is definitely going to give Cola a run for his money.

Great to have an excellent defensive and forward prospect.

Stephen 10-21-2003 08:17 PM

Let's start throwing some names around, maybe he'll turn into a Tuomo Ruutu kind of prospect? This has me excited..

leafaholix* 10-21-2003 08:54 PM

I don't think so.

Steen will never be a high scorer, at best I'd say anywhere from 60-70 points a season. Ruutu'll be a high scorer and he's considered one of the top prospects in the world, you can't be a potential 60 point man (Steen) and be considered a top prospect.

The only young guy I can think of now would be Marco Sturm.

Joey24 10-22-2003 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
I don't think so.

Steen will never be a high scorer, at best I'd say anywhere from 60-70 points a season. Ruutu'll be a high scorer and he's considered one of the top prospects in the world, you can't be a potential 60 point man (Steen) and be considered a top prospect.

I think Steen will be allot like his father with a little more playmaking ability.. Steen has great vision on the ice and is a very respectable defensive player for his age.. Steen has all the makings to be a fine player in the NHL 65- 75 points is nothing to cry about. And none really knows how a player will develop Steen could turn out to be a offensive force or he could be a bust... but with the way he is playing he is looking like he could have his breakout year and is showing allot of offensive flair. As for the comment on Ruutu I don't find him to be all that great I think he's just another one of those hyped up prospects who got his cash and wont do allot of anything in the league but that's just my opinion.

sluggo* 10-22-2003 05:19 AM

I don't know if Ruutu is just "a hyped up prospect" but so far hes only got one goal in 6 games (22nd among rookies) and a -4 rating.

ULF_55 10-22-2003 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sluggo
I don't know if Ruutu is just "a hyped up prospect" but so far hes only got one goal in 6 games (22nd among rookies) and a -4 rating.

Ruutu can't be that bad, he's tied with Stajan. ;)

sluggo* 10-22-2003 07:24 AM

Ruutu - 1pt and -4 in 6 games

Stajan - 2pts and +3 in 5 games.

I think you need to learn the meaning of the word "tied". Stajans got more pts, a better +/- in less games.

RiellyGood 10-22-2003 08:43 AM

Quote:

I think you need to learn the meaning of the word "tied". Stajans got more pts, a better +/- in less games.

Well isnt it obvious then that Stajan will be twice the player Ruutu will ever be.

[/sarcasm]

ULF_55 10-22-2003 09:34 AM

Quote:

But it went to the judges and the Russians gave it to Ruutu because his goal was marked higher in artistic impression.

leafaholix* 10-22-2003 10:10 AM

Tuomo Ruutu will be an offensive force when he's settled in. 6 games isn't enough to judge a kid on, especially since none of you have seen him play in the NHL.

ULF_55 10-22-2003 11:26 AM

Quote:

Tuomo Ruutu will be an offensive force when he's settled in. 6 games isn't enough to judge a kid on, especially since none of you have seen him play in the NHL.

Actually, saw the highlight of his goal, and that is more than I've seen of Steen in the NHL.

Mind you Stajan scored his first game :p

leafaholix* 10-22-2003 11:29 AM

Steen hasn't played in the NHL.

:dunno:

<< Confused.

ULF_55 10-22-2003 12:49 PM

Quote:

Steen hasn't played in the NHL.

:dunno:

<< Confused.

We have no idea what Steen will be like as a NHL player. Mats last season he was 11th. in team scoring for his team. Compare that to Steen who last year was tied for 10th. in team scoring.

So, we don't know how Steen or Ruutu will turn out in the NHL so we can only speculate that one will outscore the other.

Joey24 10-22-2003 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55
Ruutu can't be that bad, he's tied with Stajan. ;)

was Stajan ever considered the best player outside the NHL??? didn't think so... over hyped is written all over Ruutu... and what are you talking about Steen for? who in the heck even brought his name up?

leafaholix* 10-22-2003 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey24
... over hyped is written all over Ruutu...

After 6 games? Have you even seen him play ten minutes in the NHL?

Quote:

and what are you talking about Steen for? who in the heck even brought his name up?
Read the thread title over again.

Courage* 10-22-2003 07:52 PM

Quote:

I don't think so.

Sure, but Steen also plays great in his own end.