HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   EDM/WAS Idea (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=21651)

elphy101 10-21-2003 03:21 PM

EDM/WAS Idea

I'm wondering what it would take for the Oilers to pry Peter Bondra out of Washington. With large decrease in the american dollar and the fact the Oilers dumped a bunch of contracts at the trade deadline plus Smyth signing at a discount 3.45 Million. I think the Oilers have some money to take on payroll.

Bondra would look great on the Oilers on a line with Smyth and Hemsky. I'm wondering what it would take to get him out of Washington?

BronxBruin 10-21-2003 03:28 PM

I'd be willing to bet that Washington could really use Jason Smith on their blueline instead of Jason Doig or Joel Kwiatkowski. I could be way off but my proposal would be:

Jason Smith & Pisani/Chimera & 3rd round pick
for
Peter Bondra & Jakub Cutta

GKJ 10-21-2003 03:46 PM

so why did they dump payroll in the first place?

Or. Sign Mike Comrie?

elphy101 10-21-2003 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
so why did they dump payroll in the first place?

Or. Sign Mike Comrie?

First off, Comrie not being signed is not a result of money. Edmonton is willing to pay Comrie. Comrie wants out of Edmonton though.

They traded Carter because Lowe felt he would want over 4M/year.
Lowe trade Niinimaa because he was in love with Isbister and Torres. He has said a few times the Niinimaa trade was not a salary dump.

Even if it was, when those trades were made, the canadian dollar was trading alot higher than it is now as well. December 31, 2002, the CDN dollar was trading at 1.58 US. It is now at 1.316US. That's a big difference.

Then again your probably right. It's highly unlikely the Oilers will be looking to take on any significant amount of money.

Jim_Harnock 10-21-2003 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BronxBruin
I'd be willing to bet that Washington could really use Jason Smith on their blueline instead of Jason Doig or Joel Kwiatkowski

Edmonton's blueline is in a very similar state to that of Washington, having guys like Cory Cross and Scott Ferguson playing big roles -- we have Cross on our power play for Pete's sake.

elphy101 10-21-2003 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
Edmonton's blueline is in a very similar state to that of Washington, having guys like Cory Cross and Scott Ferguson playing big roles -- we have Cross on our power play for Pete's sake.

But then again we have Alexei Semenov sitting in the pressbox (MacT is a moron sometimes).

At least with that trade Semenov would be in the lineup. Trading Pisani would not hurt that much as Rita, Stoll and Salmo are all ready for the NHL.

GKJ 10-21-2003 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphy101
He has said a few times the Niinimaa trade was not a salary dump.

Of course he's not going to say that. If you're in the middle of a playoff race and you trade your 2nd or 3rd best d-man of course you're not going to say it wasn't a salary dump. If he did the fans would revolt.

DaleHunter 10-21-2003 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BronxBruin
I'd be willing to bet that Washington could really use Jason Smith on their blueline instead of Jason Doig or Joel Kwiatkowski. I could be way off but my proposal would be:

Jason Smith & Pisani/Chimera & 3rd round pick
for
Peter Bondra & Jakub Cutta

While we could use a Jason Smith on our gimp blue line for sure, it would take a lot more than him, Pisani/Chimera and a 3rd to get him out of Washington. Especially if you're throwing in Cutta. While Cutta seems to have plateau'd the last two seasons, McPhee still thinks he can be a serviceable 3/4th or 5/6th guy sometime in the future (I have my doubts). And considering Bondra makes $4.5 million and we have the option for another season at that same price, it doesn't make much sense to get rid of him. Add to that the fact that he is a fan-favorite and a life-long Cap, it'll be even harder. The only reason we were shopping him 2 seasons ago was because we couldn't get him signed.

And whoever we get a defenseman from is likely going to have to take on one of ours since we have such a glut at the position.

Personally, for Bondra, I'd like to see either Smith or Staios, plus Isbister or Torres... make it a lower pick (like a 5-7th rounder) or just forget the pick and do it just players for players. So Smith/Staios + Isbister/Torres for Cutta and Bondra. We get a stay at home defenseman + a large LW. You get a scoring threat who plays hard in his own end, and a good defensive prospect on the cusp of making it to the NHL.

You can have Kwiatkowski, Gruden for free... though I don't know why anyone would want either one.

Lastly, I really can't see anyone trading for Bondra (36 years old) unless it's at the deadline and they think another sniper can push their team over the hump.... I see him going to Detroit, Dallas, Vancouver, or St. Louis if he goes anywhere at all.

balddog66 10-22-2003 03:07 AM

Am I wrong, or isn't the Canadian dollar trading at a 7 year high, something like 75 cents to the american dollar...was hovering around 65 cents for the last year or so...? maybe I'm just misreading these post?

FacelessButcher 10-22-2003 03:38 AM

I see a deal more like this being feasible

To Wsh:
Smith
3rd pick 2004

To Edm:
Bondra
Fussey

Washington wants to move some salary and there is not a whole lot of interest in Jagr or Lang. I know Bondra will be the last one of the three the caps would want to leave because of sentimental value but he has a lot better chance of being moved. He probably has two decent years left in him then after probably an over payed hack who is forced into retirement when no one will pay his salary demands. I consider Jason Smiths value greater than his because he has fairly short amount of time remaining in his pretty great career, I consider Bondra greater than Smith generally speaking but age+salary tilts it in Smiths favour. I am sure Washington will try really hard to move Jagr or Lang so they have the dough to keep Bondra but I guess this is a pretty good back-up plan as u get a very good return for salary u should be dropping.

freebie trade I think this is a pretty good trade-
To Det:
Lang
4th pick 2004

To Wsh:
Schneider

I am sure most people are thinking but Hatcher just went down Detroit can't trade but Kronwall has played well from what I heard and deserves a spot on the roster and Lang is a veteran center that can help Detroits offense.

Wingboy2999 10-22-2003 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
freebie trade I think this is a pretty good trade-
To Det:
Lang
4th pick 2004

To Wsh:
Schneider

I am sure most people are thinking but Hatcher just went down Detroit can't trade but Kronwall has played well from what I heard and deserves a spot on the roster and Lang is a veteran center that can help Detroits offense.

I have a feeling we could get Lang for much cheaper then that. And that trade probably wouldn't make much sense for Washington. The main reason they want to trade Lang is to dump his $4 mil salary (I believe). I think Schneider makes $3.25 mil so they only save 750k.

thome_26 10-22-2003 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleHunter
While we could use a Jason Smith on our gimp blue line for sure, it would take a lot more than him, Pisani/Chimera and a 3rd to get him out of Washington. Especially if you're throwing in Cutta. While Cutta seems to have plateau'd the last two seasons, McPhee still thinks he can be a serviceable 3/4th or 5/6th guy sometime in the future (I have my doubts). And considering Bondra makes $4.5 million and we have the option for another season at that same price, it doesn't make much sense to get rid of him. Add to that the fact that he is a fan-favorite and a life-long Cap, it'll be even harder. The only reason we were shopping him 2 seasons ago was because we couldn't get him signed.

And whoever we get a defenseman from is likely going to have to take on one of ours since we have such a glut at the position.

Personally, for Bondra, I'd like to see either Smith or Staios, plus Isbister or Torres... make it a lower pick (like a 5-7th rounder) or just forget the pick and do it just players for players. So Smith/Staios + Isbister/Torres for Cutta and Bondra. We get a stay at home defenseman + a large LW. You get a scoring threat who plays hard in his own end, and a good defensive prospect on the cusp of making it to the NHL.

You can have Kwiatkowski, Gruden for free... though I don't know why anyone would want either one.

Lastly, I really can't see anyone trading for Bondra (36 years old) unless it's at the deadline and they think another sniper can push their team over the hump.... I see him going to Detroit, Dallas, Vancouver, or St. Louis if he goes anywhere at all.

Staios 99.999% surely won't be traded, unless somebody over-pays for him, and that is doubtable because he is a VERY under-rated Dman. Torres won't go unless you offer up Jagr and are willing to pay for 3/4 of his salary over the rest of the contract. Isbister MIGHT, MIGHT be able to go, but Lowe REALLY likes him - so same thing with Staios. A deal like:

Smith/Chimera/third
for
Bondra/1.5 million

Thats something I could see beeing done. And if you need to move a depth PressBox type guy in return then fine - the Oilers have room.

capsfan55 10-22-2003 07:10 AM

This thread is ridiculous. The Caps aren't going to trade arguably one of the top 3 players the Caps have EVER had for Jason Smith and change. They just won't.

DaleHunter 10-22-2003 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capsfan55
This thread is ridiculous. The Caps aren't going to trade arguably one of the top 3 players the Caps have EVER had for Jason Smith and change. They just won't.

Ya, pretty much.

Smith and a 3rd for Bondra? That's ridiculous for us. As is Lang and a pick for Schnieder.

While I think McPhee can't ever pull the trigger when it's needed most, he's definitely far too conservative a trader to get this little in return.

elphy101 10-22-2003 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balddog66
Am I wrong, or isn't the Canadian dollar trading at a 7 year high, something like 75 cents to the american dollar...was hovering around 65 cents for the last year or so...? maybe I'm just misreading these post?

That's me mistyping my post. I meant with the large decrease in the American Dollar.

txpd 10-22-2003 11:19 AM

The Capitals have a club option on Bondra for next season at $4.5m.
That is not the kind of contract that you salary dump. If the Caps feel like they can't afford to pay him at the option price, they will likely be able to get Bondra to give them a better deal in order to finish his career in Washington. The same hometown discount that Ryan Smith game the Oilers. I am not sure Smith would like it much if Bondra showed up in Edmonton with a bigger paycheck.