HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Derian Hatcher made temporaty captain (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=216819)

luv_canadian_hockey 01-29-2006 12:53 PM

Derian Hatcher made temporaty captain

Thoughts?

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/

FlyHigh 01-29-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv_canadian_hockey
Thoughts?

The team needs a leader and for whatever reason, right now, Gagne doesn't want the responsibility, maybe he's not vocal enough. I think Hatcher is a good choice, he's vocal and also leads by example.

Danko 01-29-2006 01:06 PM

Good choice however i would have given it to Richards already ;)

swflyers8* 01-29-2006 01:21 PM

Solid move, obviously Hitch saw my message under my name.

;)

Pantokrator 01-29-2006 01:24 PM

I like this move. From what I have heard, Hatcher isn't afriad to speak his mind, which I think is what this team needs. He also has been captain before (was he captain in Dallas or was it Mike Modano? I forget) so he has experience. I don't think of Gagne as captain material. I would keep Hatcher captain (assuming Primeau does't come back) and then when Hatcher retires or leaves in a few seasons, give it to Richards.

Vikke 01-29-2006 01:25 PM

I think it's a good idea. The team needs a C.

Jester 01-29-2006 01:25 PM

bad sign for Preems...

donelikedinner 01-29-2006 01:43 PM

thanks Keith, it was fun while you lasted......... :cry:

Sum1winachampionship 01-29-2006 02:10 PM

I swear i heard on one broadcast that he's the only non-canadian (or maybe just american) to be captain of a stanley cup winning team. Anyone know if this is true?

KasparKrunch 01-29-2006 02:15 PM

obviously preems carreer is over. i would have given it to richards or gagne because they will be in philly longer.

Brad* 01-29-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
bad sign for Preems...

Indeed. If Primeau was definitely coming back, I don't believe the "C" would have been given to someone else, even temporarily.

Roger's Pancreas* 01-29-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sum1winachampionship
I swear i heard on one broadcast that he's the only non-canadian (or maybe just american) to be captain of a stanley cup winning team. Anyone know if this is true?

It is.

Roger's Pancreas* 01-29-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KasparKrunch
obviously preems carreer is over. i would have given it to richards or gagne because they will be in philly longer.

Have you seen Hatcher's contract? He's here to stay. The chances that the Flyers unload him are slim to none, unless he's bought out close to the deadline.

KasparKrunch 01-29-2006 02:20 PM

do u think he will be in philly as long as gagne???

Roger's Pancreas* 01-29-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

I think he's here until he retires. Especially with the Primeau situation the way it is. I mean, Primeau can come back but playoffs are months away from now and he doesn't even have an estimation for a comeback.

Can we try and think about the way this will impact Richards for a bit? He's young but it's obvious that he's being groomed for the C. What's happening to him is great, He's got the quiet Hatcher intensity to observe, Forsberg's game on the ice, and Primeaus more vocal style to take notes from. He'll be able to see which style is most effective, and more importantly fits his style better.

bodangleroo28 01-29-2006 02:38 PM

i think this is a good move

Danko 01-29-2006 02:52 PM

Its crazy but its also freakin awesome that were talkin about making a rookie the captain of probably the best team in the league for the last 596305i205`23523523 years.

BloodOnTheIce 01-29-2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Gagne is not captain material. The fact that he didn't take the place from Primeau when given the chance is enough of a reason that he should not be our captain. I don't care about the excuse that he was showing respect for Primeau. If Gagne was captain material, he would have realized that he should have should have accepted the role as temporary captain while Primeau was out. He should have realized it would have benefited the team and given the team direction going forward. Instead, Gagne appeared to be timid and nervous to take the spot. Not what I want as a captain. I want someone that will be ready to take a chance personally for the benefit of the team. I am not taking anything away from Gagne as a player, it is just some players aren't made for the role. Look at Richards, he is a leader. He is someone that is designed for being a captain. I personally believe Richards is too young to be our captain, but I think had the flyers placed the responsiblity on him that he would have accepted and done his best. Give him 2-3 years to find himself in the NHL and he will be ready to take the job.

As for the present, I don't think the Flyers could have pick a better replacement for Primeau. Hatcher has been a captain. He knows what it takes, and leads by example. Yes, Hatcher is here to stay and we should look at the positive side of that. Hatcher will be a respectable captain for the flyers and will be able to mentor Richards along the way. Hatcher has a few years left, and Richards is a few years away. Seems like perfect timing to me.

Tat2dRich 01-29-2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyer6
i think this is a good move

From everything I hear hatcher is the kind of vocal 'In Your Face" presence in the locker room this team needs. He's no shrinking viliolet, and unlike gags he will not worry about the responsibility f-ing up his scoring. Althop if Foppa doesn'r come back soon gags may wind up with 40 goals anyway.

Not to veer off from the thread but why is everyone down on Knuble so much? I was at the game Saturday and besides Sami and Pitkanen he was the only one still working when it was 5-0.

Danko 01-29-2006 03:05 PM

Perhaps the reason were down on Knuble is he was one of the main reasons the flyers lost 6-0.....PENALTIES ALL GAME

Lupul* 01-29-2006 03:06 PM

Hatcher is an awesome captain. I like this move. Bad news for Preems though.

Wetcoaster 01-29-2006 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Have you seen Hatcher's contract? He's here to stay. The chances that the Flyers unload him are slim to none, unless he's bought out close to the deadline.

There is only a short window to buy out players in the off season.

As well any buyout (2/3's of the remaining contract) will count against the cap in future years although the buyout cap hit can be spread over twice the length of the remaining contract term.

jb** 01-29-2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
There is only a short window to buy out players in the off season.

As well any buyout (2/3's of the remaining contract) will count against the cap in future years although the buyout cap hit can be spread over twice the length of the remaining contract term.

he is not being bought out anyway. It is a moot point to discuss it at this point. 2 years from now maybe.

CharlieGirl 01-29-2006 04:00 PM

Hallelujah!! It's about time!

This doesn't bode well for Primeau's return though.... but I'm sure if he is able to return, he'll wear the C again.

GKJ 01-29-2006 04:00 PM

I'm sure Gagne was asked again before making this decision. This was probably a decision made by 'the leadership group' -- including Keith Primeau. Ken Hitchcock has a tremendous amount of respect for Primeau, I'm sure he was part of this decision as well. If you're going to pick a new captian, it's probably a good idea to pick the only guy on the team who was captian of a previous Cup Champion.