HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Joni scratched (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=21683)

RoDu 10-21-2003 05:42 PM

Joni scratched

looks like Hitch might be a little mad at Joni for he is scratched for Therian. after being benched for the third last game, a litte message for the kid maybe?

Dekhockey55 10-21-2003 05:52 PM

Why???

Why was Pitkanen scratched? I'm a little dissappointed. Any thoughts as to why he was scratched???

Dr Love 10-21-2003 05:55 PM

I don't get it either. Therien is dressed, fine by me, he was scheduled to, but put him in place of Vandermeer. I'm guessing something is up with Pitkanen since he was benched in the 3rd period against SJ and now he's benched in favor of Therien.

GKJ 10-21-2003 06:10 PM

What a way to kill the kid's confidence. Score big power play goal, make a rookie mistake, and bench him. :rolleyes:

Dr Love 10-21-2003 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
What a way to kill the kid's confidence. Score big power play goal, make a rookie mistake, and bench him. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Score a goal in the 1st, sit on the bench in the third and the GM's box the next game. I didn't see anything in Joni's game against SJ that warranted that kind of treatment.

stanley 10-21-2003 06:20 PM

I thought he left with an injury.

RoDu 10-21-2003 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
I thought he left with an injury.

they said it was a coaches decison

John Flyers Fan 10-21-2003 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
looks like Hitch might be a little mad at Joni for he is scratched for Therian. after being benched for the third last game, a litte message for the kid maybe?

A few things on why I think Therien is playing tonight instead of Joni.

#1. I think they thought that Seidenberg wore down as the year wen on last year. They don't want that to happen to Joni his first year in NA. Giving him off one of the back-to-back nighters.

#2. L.A. and a few other teams have been decimated by injuries to their defense. Getting Therien some ice time can also serve to showcase him some for a team that may be interested in picking him up.

blah 10-21-2003 07:07 PM

Good points.

flyercide 10-21-2003 07:31 PM

I am annoyed that Pitkanen was scratched in this game. Hitch is showing lack of faith in rookies once again... seems like he will always chose a vet over rookie. He should have had Pitkanen in this game even if he did nothing else other than warm the bench. Would have been nice asset to throwout there on the PP or right now at the end of the game to get some offense going. Pitkanen's shot from the point really helps our offense.

RoDu 10-21-2003 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyercide
I am annoyed that Pitkanen was scratched in this game. Hitch is showing lack of faith in rookies once again... seems like he will always chose a vet over rookie. He should have had Pitkanen in this game even if he did nothing else other than warm the bench. Would have been nice asset to throwout there on the PP or right now at the end of the game to get some offense going. Pitkanen's shot from the point really helps our offense.

wouldn't get much of a chance when we are constantly killing penalties

John Flyers Fan 10-21-2003 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyercide

It has nothing to due with a lack of faith. Hitch praises him every chance he gets.

Winston Wolf 10-21-2003 07:44 PM

This is just a stupid move by Hitchcock, among many others regarding young players. We hear this BS all summer that the younger players will be getting the big roles on the team, while the veterans will be getting their ice time decreased. I've seen absolutely no evidence of this happening. If any other team in the league has a young player who has the skills that Pitkanen has they try to play him as much as they can, but Hitchcock seems so damn reluctant to play any rookies. It's the same as last year, when Seidenberg and Vandermeer got sent down before the playoffs, even though they were outplaying many of the veterans on the team. Even with the mistake leading to the Phoenix goal, Pitkanen has been 1 of the top 3-4 defensmen this year. With that said, there is no justification in sitting Pitkanen. Hitchcock needs to play the players according to their play, not according to how old they are.

RoDu 10-21-2003 07:53 PM

if anyone should be benched, Amonte should and let Chouinard play, he is atleast creating chances tonight

Toonces 10-21-2003 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

#2. Getting Therien some ice time can also serve to showcase him some for a team that may be interested in picking him up.

:teach:

Agreed. Hitch could have sat Jimmy V, but he is solid in his own end where Pitkanen is the young newcomer.

Winston Wolf 10-21-2003 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
if anyone should be benched, Amonte should and let Chouinard play, he is atleast creating chances tonight

That is pretty much what happened in the third period, Chouinard got quite a bit of ice time while Amonte and some of the veterans sat more.

Maybe this is what Hitch was talking about during the offseason. Give the young players more ice time and sit the veterans when the game is already over. Sounds like an increased role for the young players to me. :rolleyes:

Green Mile 10-21-2003 08:22 PM

Therien made an awesome screen in front of Hackett tonight. It was impressive. Put that boy on our PP! with Pitkanen at the point :D

Flyman 10-21-2003 09:47 PM

Hey guys relax!! Those have been the first NHL games for Joni. I just think Hitch didn't dress him just to allow him a lttle bit of rest. If you want to see Joni on the ice all the season, he cannot play EVERY game!

I don't want to see the same error done with Seidenberg last year. He was dead at the 2/3 of the season...

IronMarshal 10-22-2003 12:03 AM

The paper today says he was banged up in Phoenix. It doesn't sound serious, but bad enough to miss some time.

Flyers26 10-22-2003 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMarshal
The paper today says he was banged up in Phoenix. It doesn't sound serious, but bad enough to miss some time.

Lovely.... another "hidden" flyers injury!

Cuiff 10-22-2003 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMarshal

Great, another one down. When will it end?

Dr Love 10-22-2003 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

#1. I think they thought that Seidenberg wore down as the year wen on last year. They don't want that to happen to Joni his first year in NA. Giving him off one of the back-to-back nighters.

#2. L.A. and a few other teams have been decimated by injuries to their defense. Getting Therien some ice time can also serve to showcase him some for a team that may be interested in picking him up.

Good points, but with the Flyers games to date being so spread out, I think it's a bit early to sit him on a back to backer. But I'm not a coach with a Cup ring, so I guess I can't really complain.

Teezax 10-22-2003 04:15 AM

it's just a cover up that he's injured in my opinion

John Flyers Fan 10-22-2003 04:21 AM

I don't have a big problem with him sitting him once in a while, especially on a back-to-back nighter.

Only difference is that since he sat him in the 3rd period against Phoenix I would have gotten him back on the ice against LA, then gave him tonight off against the Ducks.

Dr Love 10-22-2003 04:52 AM

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/7072323.htm