HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Av's make a deal, Karyia on IR (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=21884)

Bill Peckerskull 10-22-2003 01:03 PM

Av's make a deal, Karyia on IR

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/new...ails.asp?ID=46

nathan 10-22-2003 01:07 PM

WTF is going on? Is Konowalchuk really a major upgrade?

And I thought Johansson was supposed to be one of our top prospects? WTF is going on?

This must be the twilight zone or something?

Freudian 10-22-2003 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedBrad

Seems like a panic move. Perhaps now we can find out why Battaglia was in Granatos doghouse.

nathan 10-22-2003 01:11 PM

Well crap, it's not like Battaglia really got a good chance. I mean, why was he demoted to the 4th line anyways?

Of course, none of us know the full story so if he's really that bad that he had to go, then better to cut losses rather than being in denial.

Miller259 10-22-2003 01:13 PM

No way!

Don't diss on Kono already, I watched the guy in Washington as a part of the Kono-Halper-Greer line. It was definately one of the top 5 grind lines in the league a few years ago...and that was with the one down in San Jose too.

I think he used to rack up 40-50 points on the 3rd line, granted he was with offensive grinders. It shouldn't be a problem for him to reach at least 30 this year. He probably already knows Nikolishin so they can re-join on a PK unit. Oh, and he's also a great PKer, probably the best shot blocker on our club since Podien.

nathan 10-22-2003 01:17 PM

I'm not dissing. I mean, he must be quite the guy since he was wearing the C for the Caps.

It's just that so quickly...the wheels are starting to turn...for the Avs.

Freudian 10-22-2003 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller259
Don't diss on Kono already, I watched the guy in Washington as a part of the Kono-Halper-Greer line. It was definately one of the top 5 grind lines in the league a few years ago...and that was with the one down in San Jose too.

I think he used to rack up 40-50 points on the 3rd line, granted he was with offensive grinders. It shouldn't be a problem for him to reach at least 30 this year. He probably already knows Nikolishin so they can re-join on a PK unit. Oh, and he's also a great PKer, probably the best shot blocker on our club since Podien.

I like Konowalchuk. So for this year only it is an upgrade in my mind. And it is better to deal Battaglia if they are not going to give him a chance instead of misuse him.

What I am surprised about is that they gave away Johansson. The Avs doesn't seem to have all that many good forward prospects. Vrbata/Nedorost/Johansson shipped out in the last 6 months. Perhaps they are really high on McCormick and Svatos for the future.

Bodo 10-22-2003 01:20 PM

Wasnt Johanson the only top 6 forward the avs were supposed to have in their system? All of the other guys may be good 3rd or 4th line guys but none have top six potential. i seriously dont understand that.

Miller259 10-22-2003 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodo
Wasnt Johanson the only top 6 forward the avs were supposed to have in their system? All of the other guys may be good 3rd or 4th line guys but none have top six potential. i seriously dont understand that.

He was the only guy who really got media attention. I'm not surprised the Caps wanted a two-way rookie forward, but I would've at least waited until he had rehabilitated completely, it's unusuall for a team to deal for an injured rookie unless they think he's really going to make an impact. I hope the guy recovers and does well though!

Johansen was supposed to be our only top 6 guy, but Svavtos came up and goined him (Not for long though).

I know it seems like they are dealing away their forwards like cards, but you have to remember than forwards are the easiest replacable commodity through the draft. There are twice as many forwards than defenseman by default. Lastly, Colorado still has a bunch of defenseman in Hershey.

Belgican 10-22-2003 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodo

WTF, Johansson was our best offensive prospect, Battaglia was supposed to be better than Kono, it only answers one question, we do know now why Bates was getting so little credit, the trade was in progress for sure.

fcbarcelona 10-22-2003 01:35 PM

this seems like a lateral deal (4th liner for 4th liner) except the avs get a player with greater PK ability and more leadership. i hope kono continues to be a solid role player but his play has fallen off recently. this is a risky move by pierre...esp. giving up johansson.

Deader 10-22-2003 01:37 PM

I'm absolutely speechless :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: , Avs are shipping out their talent like the pens lastyears their Starplayers :lol:

Jori 10-22-2003 01:39 PM

There goes our best offensive prospect. Svatos may never a sustain a long NHL career because of his shoulder injuries and his size is a concern. The Caps win this trade in a landslide. Good thing the Avs have a stock pile of solid defensive prospects.

strungout 10-22-2003 01:41 PM

From a Capitals perspective...Kono isnt playing well at all this season. I think a change of scenery might help....but I dont see much upgrade over Bates.

Why would they trade Johansson in this deal? Is there anything more there that we should know about?

Goulet17 10-22-2003 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
There goes our best offensive prospect. Svatos may never a sustain a long NHL career because of his shoulder injuries and his size is a concern. The Caps win this trade in a landslide. Good thing the Avs have a stock pile of solid defensive prospects.

I would feel better if the Avs at least would have received a draft pick. Brutal :rolleyes:

We all noticed that Battaglia didn't seem to be a favorite of Granato, and Jori noted that such players don't stick around very long.

This trade looks pretty bad if you break it down like this:

To other teams- Radim Vrbata
Jonas Johanson

To the Avs- Steve Konowalchuk
3rd round pick

Ouch!

Deader 10-22-2003 01:43 PM

may be he has the "Nedorost-Syndrom",a bad hidden Injury??? :dunno:

Jori 10-22-2003 01:44 PM

Unless Johansson has some injury or has really fallen out of favor with the organization than I don't understand the move at all. Caps win this trade and the Battaglia/Vrbata trade looks even worse now. Who is the GM of this team...Granato or Lacroix? You never saw this type of thing under Hartley.

Av-merican 10-22-2003 01:48 PM

Panic move. Shame on Lacroix. Giving up our top prospect and Battaglia for an aging 3rd line grinder with questionable leadership skills? This smacks of the same panic deal Lacroix made when he sent Podein away for Keane to get better leadership in the locker room. AARRRGGGHH!!!!!

Goulet17 10-22-2003 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
Unless Johansson has some injury or has really fallen out of favor with the organization than I don't understand the move at all. Caps win this trade and the Battaglia/Vrbata trade looks even worse now. Who is the GM of this team...Granato or Lacroix? You never saw this type of thing under Hartley.

You touched on it last night Jori, Granato seems to yield more power in this organization than Hartley or Crawford ever came close to having.

If Granato wants a player gone, Lacroix does it immediately, and he overpays just to make it happen.

Is it just me or is this deal strikingly similar to the Worrell deal, where Lacroix threw an apparent blue chipper (Nedorost) that amounted to overpayment.

Maybe some strategy exists as to the accumulation of draft picks by the Avs for next year. Perhaps Lacroix has received orders from ownership to go into an expansion-type rebuilding mode.

nathan 10-22-2003 01:53 PM

I don't know how you go into a rebuilding mode trading away your top prospects.

Granted, the guys we traded do have injury problems...so it is somewhat a gamble to take them in. Either they end up being really good (which makes the Avs look bad), or we all forget about them.

Enoch 10-22-2003 02:01 PM

PL is stockpiling defensive prospects
PL is stockpiling on draft picks *thats a huge rarity*
PL is trading away all of our questionable forwards/talent regardless of potential

This team is going to be a defensive team next year or the year after, especially if Forsberg/Selanne retires and Kariya does not resign. It is a good thing we resigned Lacroix *he works in strange ways :dunno: but always puts a good team out on the ice* because I'm not sure many other GMs could keep the Avs from total rebuild mode here in a few years.

Another thought - PL could be stockpiling on picks for the upcoming trade deadline.....this year is supposed to be a huge firesale.

Goulet17 10-22-2003 02:03 PM

One thing to consider about this trade.

I remember someone posting on this board that they attended the Avs training camp and how they noted that Battaglia didn't appear to be very happy, and that he didn't talk to anyone. Maybe he just never fit in and the team worried about the situation from a chemistry standpoint.

nathan 10-22-2003 02:06 PM

Granato and Battaglia are both from Illinois. I guess the Chicago connection just didn't work :dunno:

Goulet17: you do make a good point if that is true. I remember the RMN wrote an article about Battaglia about how happy he is to be here and all that crap...maybe he just changed his mind or was generic BS. Hopefully Konowalchuk will be truly happy to be here.

iAvs 10-22-2003 02:10 PM

bye bates. I stuck up for ya as much as possible, but even I knew this was coming. crap!

It's questionable that PL gave up Johansson...but it was when he gave up Vrbata & Nedorost too. Last I checked, those 2 aren't tearing it up, rubbing it in PL's face.

Konowalchuk will add a Dave Reid/Shjon Podein presence to our team. Hell, he had the "C" on the Caps, so he must have some good leadership qualities.

It's a done deal folks. Whether it's good or bad, it's done. I trust PL in the grand scheme of things.

Now, how does this deal help or hurt the team NOW (not down the road)?

Goulet17 10-22-2003 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan
Granato and Battaglia are both from Illinois. I guess the Chicago connection just didn't work :dunno:

Goulet17: you do make a good point if that is true. I remember the RMN wrote an article about Battaglia about how happy he is to be here and all that crap...maybe he just changed his mind or was generic BS. Hopefully Konowalchuk will be truly happy to be here.

Well Konowalchuk is from Salt Lake City, so this is a homecoming of sorts.

Another thing, Battaglia was to only turn 28 this season, and likely would have been a RFA after the season (even if the terms change after this season with a new CBA)

Konowalchuk soon turns 31, and he will be a UFA after this season.

Looks like the Avs may have taken another contract off the books for the 2003-2004 season.