HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New Boston Garden vs Real Arenas (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22000)

Ratty 10-22-2003 07:07 PM

New Boston Garden vs Real Arenas

Just returned from a western swing and got to see B's play in LA and Anaheim. Actually, this was my third visit to the Staples Center. I remarked on my first visit that it made Fleet (Shawmut) look like the old Boston Arena.

But the rink in Anahem is even more beautiful, what with marble floors and walls, handsome interior and exterior. It makes you realize even more, how cheap the B's owners are when they built the New Garden.

Its also worth noting, too, as you travel to other cities to see NHL games how so much is canned, league oriented and uniform. The other cities have the women in short pants skate out to scoop up ice ala Bruinettes. They shoot T-shirts into the audience between periods. Even the team web sites are basically the same in format and content.

Sadly, the freedom to express a team or city's individuality is stifled for the sake of conformity.

On the other hand, it was good, for a change, to sit in a rival building wearing Bruins attire and be able to walk out with the last laugh.

Magnus Fulgur 10-22-2003 08:21 PM

The planning (the real money dealing) for the Fleet was in the early nineties when the economy was weak. The building opened in the mid nineties, and was one of the first of the new wave of arenas. It was pretty good at the time, but it was a cookie-cutter copy of places like the Wachovia/First Union in Philly.

Compare that situation to that of the Pepsi Center in Denver. The money deals went down in the mid nineties (with the economy thriving). The ground breaking was in 1997 in a space not handcuffed by the largest public works project in the nation, and helped by the economy going through the roof...and the place opened in 1999. Can there be any surprise that the Pepsi Center is better than the Fleet?

The Fleet was doomed from the start to be bland because of its small footprint. It has zero space around it, and its entrance is an embarrasment. Unfortunately, we should be thankful for what we have. If they built the Fleet in Waltham in 1999, then yes we could have had a building similar to the American Airlines Arena, but that didn't happen.

Five years from now the Staples center will be easily outdone.

misterjaggers 10-22-2003 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
The planning (the real money dealing) for the Fleet was in the early nineties when the economy was weak. The building opened in the mid nineties, and was one of the first of the new wave of arenas. It was pretty good at the time, but it was a cookie-cutter copy of places like the Wachovia/First Union in Philly.

Compare that situation to that of the Pepsi Center in Denver. The money deals went down in the mid nineties (with the economy thriving). The ground breaking was in 1997 in a space not handcuffed by the largest public works project in the nation, and helped by the economy going through the roof...and the place opened in 1999. Can there be any surprise that the Pepsi Center is better than the Fleet?

The Fleet was doomed from the start to be bland because of its small footprint. It has zero space around it, and its entrance is an embarrasment. Unfortunately, we should be thankful for what we have. If they built the Fleet in Waltham in 1999, then yes we could have had a building similar to the American Airlines Arena, but that didn't happen.

Five years from now the Staples center will be easily outdone.

Another factor to consider when comparing the Fleece to the Staples Center is how their construction was financed. The Fleet was privately financed, while the Staple Center was financed by a public/private partnership.

This is an interesting table comparing the financing for major pro sports arenas and stadiums in the U.S. and Canada :
http://studentwebs.coloradocollege.e...ang/Table6.htm

Gator Mike 10-23-2003 04:13 AM

Agreed - the FleetCenter isn't that bad. I used to live in Chicago, and the seats I can afford are MUCH better at the FC than they were at the United Center.

Black Eye 10-23-2003 05:05 AM

I'll still take the old Garden anyday.

With that said, I have warmed up to the Fleet. It is not the jewel or arenas, but it is an okay place to see a game or event.

Terrier 10-24-2003 11:56 AM

Lousy Hockey To Blame, Not New Arena

Except for the garish yellow seats, I have no problem with the FleetCenter. It's right downtown, surrounded by bars and is easily accessible by train. The problem is on the ice. When fans are fed a steady diet of Thrashers, Predators, Lightning and Hurricanes, they're bound to stop shelling out for tickets. Ask anyone who witnessed the Hockey East Tournament at the Fleet last March. The atmosphere in there can be outstanding if what's happening between the boards is worth watching.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/tourney/2003.html

Gee Wally 10-24-2003 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Eye

With that said, I have warmed up to the Fleet. It is not the jewel or arenas, but it is an okay place to see a game or event.

I feel the same way....miss the Gahden ...but the Fleet physically is better..

Oh..and whoever compared the Fleet to the Old Boston Arena...

Puhlease .. I played there as well as spent damn near ever saturday of my yute there in the 60's and 70's..

Aside from the best french fries in the world.. the place SUCKED..
The old outdoor rink where Belmont and Arlington met were better.

Cripes they didn't get rid of the chain link fence and put in glass untill '73 or '74 at the Arena....

MeisterBruinmaker 10-24-2003 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Another factor to consider when comparing the Fleece to the Staples Center is how their construction was financed. The Fleet was privately financed, while the Staple Center was financed by a public/private partnership.

This is an interesting table comparing the financing for major pro sports arenas and stadiums in the U.S. and Canada :
http://studentwebs.coloradocollege.e...ang/Table6.htm

Excellent point. These were my thoughts exactly. Delaware North financed this privately which was a major factor.

Black Eye 10-24-2003 12:35 PM

Meister, are you moving back here or not? The Sharks stink now, no point staying out there for that!

MeisterBruinmaker 10-24-2003 01:02 PM

Quote:

Meister, are you moving back here or not? The Sharks stink now, no point staying out there for that!

I'll email ya bro

Gee Wally 10-24-2003 03:00 PM

Quote:

If he is ...the beers are on me....

it'll be a helluva night...

I might have to ask HF to shut off the Board the next day...

:-)

misterjaggers 10-24-2003 03:44 PM

Quote:

What made the Boston Garden different was the way it put the fans right on top of the action. Like Chicago Stadium, it was designed for boxing matches so the seating was stacked steeply.

This made the Garden one of the loudest, if not THE loudest arena in the NHL. Visiting teams were at a decided disadvantage when a sell-out crowd was on its feet roaring!