HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   13 scouts from 12 teams at yesterday's game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22024)

spence___ 10-22-2003 08:46 PM

13 scouts from 12 teams at yesterday's game

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins...slog1023p5.asp

Im just wondering who it is that they're interested in? Could they be close to moving Straka? I mean it would explain as to why Kraft hasnt been demoted yet.

The Tang 10-22-2003 09:03 PM

beat me to this. i am wondering the same thing. i wouldnt think other teams be so interested in our players. 12 scouts is a ton for a single game. i also dont see them being interested in carolina either. and i dont think kraft would draw 12 scouts. very curious...

AEKaki 10-22-2003 09:35 PM

Hopefully the Oilers are trading us Comire or the Flyers are trading us Gagne...

were scouts from those teams there?????

Come on...
Just wishfull thinking!
:rolly:

Maybe a Jagr comeback like the other thread said... lol

spence___ 10-22-2003 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starkouklos
Hopefully the Oilers are trading us Comire or the Flyers are trading us Gagne...

were scouts from those teams there?????

"Those represented were the Devils, the Penguins' next opponent, along with the Sabres, Stars, Senators, Blue Jackets, Oilers, Panthers, Kings, Avalanche, Blues, Blackhawks and Thrashers."

Guy Flaming 10-22-2003 10:44 PM

Seeing as hoe we (the Oilers) had a scout there... talk from our end is obviously going to revolve around "who from PGH would we want in a deal for Comrie".

You're there... who would make sense from your standpoint?

Guy
Hockey's Future in EDM

Guy Flaming 10-23-2003 12:04 AM

Straka gets hurt tying his shoes... I don't want him or that contract and can't see either of them in Edmonton unless PGH eats most of it (and aren't you guys just as tight as we are?)

Something involving Beech or Orpik or Whitney or Welch... you got nothing in the current line up that makes our team better right now though except maybe Tarnstrom and he's probably not available right?. Maybe we were scouting Carolina. There have been some whispers about them and Comrie before.

G-Double 10-23-2003 02:37 AM

straka's age and salary make him a no go for EDM, i love him as a player though and have followed the pens for a while... what about...

Comrie for Surovy and Welch?

Big McLargehuge 10-23-2003 02:46 AM

It's possible, but unlikely. Patrick never trades prospects, Surovy I can see though, Welch I can't.

SuburbanRhythm 10-23-2003 04:49 AM

It would be great to see Comrie, but people are overlooking an important point. He has no contract....if he's complaining about $$$ in EDM, does he think it will be any different in Pittsburgh?

Kraft I think would be available, but if teams were coming to scout him, and if CP had knowledge of teams interest, I think he'd have been playing.

The guys I think we'd be most likely to give up- Holzinger, McKenna, Simpson-- are guys who can be had for very little.

Straka is the only other obvious option, because it is known we want to get rid of his contract.

Only other thing I can come up with (pure speculation)-- handful of those teams would be interested in D depth: Chicago, Edmonton, Avalanche, Thrashers, and Blues(with McInnis' injury). But who would they be looking at?

Der Schweinehund 10-23-2003 05:02 AM

Quote:

It would be great to see Comrie, but people are overlooking an important point. He has no contract....if he's complaining about $$$ in EDM, does he think it will be any different in Pittsburgh?
You beat me to it Woobie. Perhaps our Edmonton posters involved here can also identify this, but I thought some of the public bantering in this situation has also implied that Comrie is feeling 'undue' pressure because he is an Edmonton kid, with his father being a preeminent Edmonton businessman. And because of this, he feels he should go elsewhere?

Quote:

Only other thing I can come up with (pure speculation)-- handful of those teams would be interested in D depth: Chicago, Edmonton, Avalanche, Thrashers, and Blues(with McInnis' injury). But who would they be looking at?
If you are looking for D depth, you would not be scouting the Pens. :D The Canes, however, have a plethora of defensive depth (Wesley, Hedican, Markov, Hill, Boughner, Ward, Wallin, St. Jacques.) Hedican might be a guy that has a lot of marketability right now.

I personally think it was just scouts wanting to watch the 2003 1st and 2nd overall picks squaring off against each other. ;) Otherwise I have to wonder about GuyF's consideration that perhaps there was quite a bit of scouting for Carolina as opposed to the Pens. It actually makes a bit more sense to me - especially as a destination for Comrie. What's a good fit there though? Maybe Vasicek, Hedican and something else? Hedican on that wonderful Edmonton ice would be just an amazing fit.

SuburbanRhythm 10-23-2003 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der Schweinehund
If you are looking for D depth, you would not be scouting the Pens. :D The Canes, however, have a plethora of defensive depth (Wesley, Hedican, Markov, Hill, Boughner, Ward, Wallin, St. Jacques.) Hedican might be a guy that has a lot of marketability right now.

Agree with that. But, again, depending what they are looking for. COL doesn't really need anyone to play top 4 minutes. But, Bergie, Tarnstrom, Berehowsky, Focht would still be an upgrade over McCallister or whoever else they currently have. ANd I think any team would be interested in Melichar or Orpik-- I just hope that they are untouchable as far as CP is concerned.

Holly Gunning 10-23-2003 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobie82

The Thrashers are not in the market for a defenseman. A top 6 forward, yes. Not a defenseman.

Darth Vitale 10-23-2003 06:49 AM

I think you guys are overlooking the obvious: these teams want a look at Fleury before they play the Pens. The only one from that group which wouldn't make any sense for this is LA, since they've already seen Fleury. Not sure if we play the Kings once or twice this year but I think it's just a goalie scouting mission.

As for the Edmonton trade possibility, you can forget about Orpik. He's not likely to be available IMO. Nor would Melichar, Tarnstrom or Baumgartner (or Whitney). The others I dunno. I'm guessing any trade would be offense for offense, and Comrie would have to be signed to a reasonable deal or Patrick would balk. We can afford even less than Edmonton can in terms of salary levels.

Comrie and a 3rd/4th rounder in return for Straka and Kraft maybe? That would get Pittsburgh close to freeing up enough salary, and might provide enough offensive upside to make it worthwhile.

Also, I notice announcers around the league have been mentioning Koltsov a good bit. Could be people are interested in him for his speed. So far I think he has a bright future in Pittsburgh, but he needs to work on his hands. He's not very good at coralling passes unless they land right on the tape, and he tends to lose the puck in traffic a lot. Still these things can be overcome with work and I think probably he's not up for sale either.

SuburbanRhythm 10-23-2003 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyG
The Thrashers are not in the market for a defenseman. A top 6 forward, yes. Not a defenseman.

I won't claim to know to know the Thrashers lineup as closely as you would, but I can't come up with one name who is anything than average. Exelby is one who should develop, but Frankie Kaberle and Chris Tamer?? Assuming they are top 6, there is better out there.

Evilo 10-23-2003 09:11 AM

I could see a Comrie for Kraft/Rozsival package.

Der Schweinehund 10-23-2003 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyG

I was under the impression (and so was most of the media) that that Thrashers were agressively chasing Ken Klee, and in fact, were the "other team" always referred to by Anton Thun in his sales pitches to Toronto media/fans.

Der Schweinehund 10-23-2003 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilo
I could see a Comrie for Kraft/Rozsival package.

I think the Oilers defense has plenty of grit and toughness with good mobility. But from an offensive standpoint, I see can see why a lot of fans are looking for a puck mover. But does Rozsival really have the significant upside in that area? He may have slid backwards in that area last year.

Kraft certainly has some question marks associated with his name and Rozsival too (just not as big IMO).

I tend to put a lot of value to Comrie given he is only 23 and looks to be a burgeoning (if not already) star. I think it could cost quite a bit to get him. I might even think on the high side like Beech, Roszival, and Armstrong, while possibly getting something minimal in addition to Comrie (eg. 3rd/4th/5th rounder). Fact is too, the Oilers need to replace a top-line center by trading Comrie. Would Beech/Kraft/whomever be able to step into that role and jump ahead of Reasoner and Horcoff on the depth chart? (I don't really think so unfortunately.) With Niinimaki, Stoll, and Pouliot on the depth chart, young centers probaby isn't the need. Someone to step in now would be needed.

Ultimately, I think it is moot though given I still can't see any player added that is going to be valued at anything more than $1.5-million - and Comrie seems like $3.0-3.5 million or more of voodoo-economic cost.

Holly Gunning 10-23-2003 10:31 AM

Quote:

I was under the impression (and so was most of the media) that that Thrashers were agressively chasing Ken Klee, and in fact, were the "other team" always referred to by Anton Thun in his sales pitches to Toronto media/fans.

Maybe they were, but a lot has changed in the past couple weeks. The Thrashers seem to end up in a lot of trade speculation both because of their assumed needs and because Waddell calls and inquires on prices. Just doing his job really, doesn't mean he intends to buy.

Evilo 10-23-2003 11:34 AM

Quote:

I think the Oilers defense has plenty of grit and toughness with good mobility. But from an offensive standpoint, I see can see why a lot of fans are looking for a puck mover. But does Rozsival really have the significant upside in that area? He may have slid backwards in that area last year.

Kraft certainly has some question marks associated with his name and Rozsival too (just not as big IMO).

I tend to put a lot of value to Comrie given he is only 23 and looks to be a burgeoning (if not already) star. I think it could cost quite a bit to get him. I might even think on the high side like Beech, Roszival, and Armstrong, while possibly getting something minimal in addition to Comrie (eg. 3rd/4th/5th rounder). Fact is too, the Oilers need to replace a top-line center by trading Comrie. Would Beech/Kraft/whomever be able to step into that role and jump ahead of Reasoner and Horcoff on the depth chart? (I don't really think so unfortunately.) With Niinimaki, Stoll, and Pouliot on the depth chart, young centers probaby isn't the need. Someone to step in now would be needed.

Ultimately, I think it is moot though given I still can't see any player added that is going to be valued at anything more than $1.5-million - and Comrie seems like $3.0-3.5 million or more of voodoo-economic cost.

Kraft because he's full of talent, and Rozsival because he CAN be effective at both hands. He's been at times. But he's still rather young and developping.
That said Oilers fans would probably ask for more for Comrie. I guess we'd have to add a pick.

Darth Vitale 10-23-2003 01:30 PM

If we're trading for offense I don't see how Straka could possibly be left out of the deal, whether it's Edmonton or not. The idea is to get someone with similar skills but who is less expensive, and not a prospect but someone who is ready to play now. Right? Maybe it would end up being a 3 way deal with another team, but Straka is likely to be a part of it somehow.

I also think Kraft will be (or at least should be) involved because if we wait any longer, we'll get nothing for him. They will have to move him while other teams still have a somewhat respectable opinion of him / his skills....

Jacob 10-23-2003 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Double
straka's age and salary make him a no go for EDM, i love him as a player though and have followed the pens for a while... what about...

Comrie for Surovy and Welch?

Works for me.

G-Double 10-23-2003 03:05 PM

Hahaha i know welch is going to be good but he is anything but a sure bet, and the same goes for all prospects. surovy seems to have hit a bit of a rut in his developmentnot making the team. I still think he has 30+ goal prtential and i loved watching him for 20 games last year where i thought he was definitely earning a roster spot this year, but bad camps and assumptions hurt players and it seems he is learning from this by scoring at a good clip in the AHL and hopefully he'll earn a call-up when the team realizes that he is needed.

I would be willing to take a serious look at Rosival/Surovy/Pick, possible swap of firsts? yea right now who is smoking crack,,,but seriously, a 3rd would probably get it done for me..

Any proposal with kraft/beech/straka just aren't goingto get it done for various reasons from an EDM perspective.

Rumor is, after Havlat signing the terms of the contract are not the major problem it is the fact that he doesn' t want to play in EDM anymore because of the above mentioned pressure of the hometown and what not...

whether that is true or not i'm not entirely sure, just what the word on the street is.

DJ Spinoza 10-23-2003 03:34 PM

I'll be upset if we trade Welch in any deal at this point.

Someone mentioned something about Tarnstrom earlier in the thread. If Patrick could swing a deal involving Tarnstrom for Comrie, I'd be overjoyed.

We need to make a rule. No one is allowed to use the words Kraft or Beech in trade proposals. Makes for the same talk over and over.

What about Surovy and Tarnstrom?

Der Schweinehund 10-23-2003 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilo
Kraft because he's full of talent, and Rozsival because he CAN be effective at both hands. He's been at times. But he's still rather young and developping.
That said Oilers fans would probably ask for more for Comrie. I guess we'd have to add a pick.

Fair enough. I absolutely will not dispute that Kraft is full of talent. I just think there are three guys ahead of him on the Oilers depth chart at C, who aren't even at the NHL yet.

Even my 'proposal' involving Beech wouldn't do it justice. Ultimately, the Oilers are talking about trading a guy who I think it is fair to say, is a lock to be a point-a-game, top line center now. It's going to take a lot to get him - especially if it is not huge cash that is holding up the deal. I don't know if the Oilers are really at a trading disadvantage in this situation.

That being the case, unless they are named Spezza, Pitkanen, Lehtonen, etc, a couple of should-be/could-be/will-be's isn't enough for a 23-year old "already is."

GoRyanMalone 10-23-2003 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Works for me.

Me too!