HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   King - Power Forward (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22052)

Mole ii 10-22-2003 09:33 PM

King - Power Forward

Great hands - scoring a team leading 3 goals
Great net presence - Always in high traffic area/front of net taking a beating
Great mind - finding holes, strong on puck, offense, defense
Great speed

Hes like a mini Bertuzzi out there who just needs to develop his physical game. King has been an excellent replacement for Klatt, playing just as well if not better than Klatt .

Man its amazing how quickly King improved himself. Last year he was nothing special, this year he is a legitimate calder candidate.

On the farm Fedor continues to light it up! Great news for canucks prospects.

cc 10-22-2003 09:54 PM

I think it's a bit too early to get a handle on how King's going to be in the NHL still. He's producing but he hasn't exhibited jaw dropping ability. He's finding the loose pucks and finishing off opportunites. I think it's been more the play of the Sedins and notably, the improvement of Daniel Sedin that has made that line look as good as it has been. Jason King has been largely ignored by the opposing team's defense but they won't be doing that for too long.

kmad 10-22-2003 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc
I think it's a bit too early to get a handle on how King's going to be in the NHL still. He's producing but he hasn't exhibited jaw dropping ability. He's finding the loose pucks and finishing off opportunites. I think it's been more the play of the Sedins and notably, the improvement of Daniel Sedin that has made that line look as good as it has been. Jason King has been largely ignored by the opposing team's defense but they won't be doing that for too long.

The more they focus on King, the more room Daniel and Henrik will have though

cc 10-22-2003 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmad
The more they focus on King, the more room Daniel and Henrik will have though

That's good theory but I was not thinking that the opposition would key on king or anything, just pay more attention to him.

Castor Troy 10-22-2003 11:28 PM

With the willingness to go to the net and take a beating that he's shown so far, I see him putting up some pretty decent numbers if he can stay with the Sedins. How about Daniel? Leading the team in points with a cool 1 PPG through 7 games. That winning play tonight where he drove to the net with the puck, resulting in King's goal, is EXACTLY what Canuck fans everywhere want to see from him. It looks like he's realizing that sometimes the pretty play isn't the right play.

quat 10-22-2003 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc
That's good theory but I was not thinking that the opposition would key on king or anything, just pay more attention to him.

Well, I think he was getting a fair amount of attention before he scored the winning goal ;) He's going to be ultra sore tomorrow after that beating. J-King, power foward :yo:

I do think it's his ability as a goal scorer that makes all the difference with the Sedins. I mean the guy is a rookie, and he's doing very well... imagine if that was Brett Hull skating with the Sedins! Burts a great match as well, but I think having The twins as the leaders of their line, will help more in their long term development. They're not taking a back seat to anyone. It's just great that the Canucks have been able to fill this second line scoring need from within the organization. Even if King doesn't stay with the club the whole time, he's certainly shown he has what it takes to make it here for the future.

I had written in an earlier post that it's hard to believe it's the same guy that played a couple of games last season. He's developed so quickly into the type of player that regularily finds the open ice, and understands how the Sedins work the ice.

A real pleasure watching both the twins and King making an impact with the Club.

orcatown 10-22-2003 11:52 PM

What's really mind-bogglingis that he is still rated the 10th best Canuck prospect behind such luminaries as Galdshihk and that last summer people on the prospects thing that Reign Nateo was doing were rating him behind Jesse Schultz. It was crazy at the time and still is.

I honestly believe that we have not seen the best of King. He can score from the slot and on the rush really well. I think we will see it. My best comparison for King, at the moment is a little larger version of Steve Thomas.

edler von real gud 10-23-2003 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orcatown
What's really mind-bogglingis that he is still rated the 10th best Canuck prospect behind such luminaries as Galdshihk and that last summer people on the prospects thing that Reign Nateo was doing were rating him behind Jesse Schultz. It was crazy at the time and still is.

I honestly believe that we have not seen the best of King. He can score from the slot and on the rush really well. I think we will see it. My best comparison for King, at the moment is a little larger version of Steve Thomas.

Hey, don't hate on Gladskikh, he's scored 3 goals in his last two games. :p

But I agree, King should be ranked in the Top 5, I would say he's one of the best, if not the best Canuck forward prospect. He may not be as talented as Fedor or Reid but when you put everything together King has the edge, and seems to have found a niche in the line-up. Not only has he been impressive on the ice, I've been more impressed with how he handles off ice stuff. He seems like a very humble guy, good teammate, and says all the right things, etc.

tantalum 10-23-2003 02:06 AM

Something tells me King has taken a look at the scoring Fedorov has been doing on the farm and making sure that it isn't going to be him that gets sent down or replaced. Nice to see. But more to the point...Great to see Henrik and Daniel step it up the first tenth of the season. A long ways to go but these are games they typically saved for the stretch run or playoffs before.

The "second" PP unit has been awesome the last few games.

PecaFan 10-23-2003 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orcatown

Agreed. At the time, I said that every prospect who had played some games in the NHL should be ahead of the guys who hadn't yet. Auld, Reid, King, Allen, Fedor (not in any order) should be the top 5.

I'll take credit for King's play. :) A couple of years ago I said that we should have taken the #1 ranked Euro goalie with his draft spot, since the odds of any player drafted at that spot actually playing in the league were so small. Getting a PecaFan diss is often very good for the career. :joker:

'Course, I just picked him up in my fantasy league. Being on PecaFan's hockey team is often *baaaad* for your career: Last year, Allison, Yzerman, Pronger, this year, Allison, McInnis, Gaborik.

So a very serious injury should be just around the corner for Jason...

Rageinthecage 10-23-2003 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PecaFan
Agreed. At the time, I said that every prospect who had played some games in the NHL should be ahead of the guys who hadn't yet. Auld, Reid, King, Allen, Fedor (not in any order) should be the top 5.

I'll take credit for King's play. :) A couple of years ago I said that we should have taken the #1 ranked Euro goalie with his draft spot, since the odds of any player drafted at that spot actually playing in the league were so small. Getting a PecaFan diss is often very good for the career. :joker:

'Course, I just picked him up in my fantasy league. Being on PecaFan's hockey team is often *baaaad* for your career: Last year, Allison, Yzerman, Pronger, this year, Allison, McInnis, Gaborik.

So a very serious injury should be just around the corner for Jason...

You think you have bad luck in hockey pools? In one of my rotisserie leagues (you keep your team and players year to year like a regular nhl gm), nine of my fifteen skaters are out at the moment (Heatley, Daze, Allison, Deadmarsh, Nylander, Lehtinen, Mellanby, Cassels, and Havlat). At least Havlat is back right away. Thank god for IR moves and trades. It's going to be a long year. http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Pangolin 10-23-2003 08:20 AM

King looks like Andreychuk to me with better skating and a smaller frame...The way he takes punishment in front of the net and scoring those garbage goals...
Seems like a goal scoring whom I wouldn't put in as a penalty shot taker...

Peter Griffin 10-23-2003 08:45 AM

I think it's a pretty big stretch to call King a power forward. He takes his lumps in front of the net and will play in high traffic areas, but he's not too physical and not very powerful. He's a very nice forward to have though, hopefully he keeps this up!

Mole ii 10-23-2003 01:36 PM

Hey..if Jeremy Roenick and Tkachuck are considered Power fowards then surely Jason King is or can be considered a power forward.

When Guerin first broke into the league with New jersey or Bertuzzi with islanders were they power fowards? the answer is No. They developed into power forwards.

I believe King has it in him to develop into a power forward...after all one needs only look at his dramatic improvment since last year.

galiano 10-23-2003 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mole ii
Hey..if Jeremy Roenick and Tkachuck are considered Power fowards then surely Jason King is or can be considered a power forward.

When Guerin first broke into the league with New jersey or Bertuzzi with islanders were they power fowards? the answer is No. They developed into power forwards.

I believe King has it in him to develop into a power forward...after all one needs only look at his dramatic improvment since last year.

I think the big difference between Roenick, Tkachuk, Guerin and King is that the first 3 all have a real edge to their play. They all play mean and will fight. Jason King seems anything but mean out there and aren't all power forwards nasty at times ? I do like King and think he could be a great find and he seems to be a natural goal scorer.

quat 10-23-2003 01:56 PM

Quote:

Tkachuck is a funny guy that way. He's a slow skater, but seems like he is as solid as a block of cement, and always makes it to the net. Excellent guy for scoring.

I wonder if Jason King has the stregth to take all the abuse he get's standing in front of the net? Maybe he's kind of rubbery enough that he won't get hurt. He's really benifiting from playing with the Sedins, but man, it's great to see a goal scorer with the Sedins on a regular basis. They almost always look like they are producing good scoring chances. King looks decent on the defensive side of the game as well. Certainly for a Rookie on a line where all three players are still growing.

At this level you sure notice a difference in physical maturity. I remember seeing a picture of Tim Horton when he was like 16 years old. The guy looked like he was all done growing... really big guy. I probably grew a good 6 inches after I was 16. I certainly notice that the Sedins are much more capable of remaining on their feet these days, and they will likely be that much better again next season. Same goes for King.

Mole ii 10-23-2003 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galiano
I think the big difference between Roenick, Tkachuk, Guerin and King is that the first 3 all have a real edge to their play. They all play mean and will fight. Jason King seems anything but mean out there and aren't all power forwards nasty at times ? I do like King and think he could be a great find and he seems to be a natural goal scorer.

A mean streak isnt essential to be a power forward...i know its part of being one but look at John Leclair and Eric Lindros, those guys are anything but mean...Theyre just physical and get the job done.

Being physical and getting the job done(scoring goals) is something i can picture King doing.

Thalia 10-23-2003 02:11 PM

If King keeps up his great play... he'll earn the title King Kong. :joker:

Mole ii 10-23-2003 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalia
If King keeps up his great play... he'll earn the title King Kong. :joker:

Yeah maybe if he was fat and hairy like Bertuzzi :rolleyes: actually its better than Kinger...he does have lots of chest hair.

KOMO_ROCKS 10-23-2003 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I think it's a pretty big stretch to call King a power forward. He takes his lumps in front of the net and will play in high traffic areas, but he's not too physical and not very powerful. He's a very nice forward to have though, hopefully he keeps this up!

exactly....it is pretty premature to call him a powerforward all of a sudden after 6-7 games....he's not even physical or powerful like you said :teach:

MVP 10-23-2003 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
exactly....it is pretty premature to call him a powerforward all of a sudden after 6-7 games....he's not even physical or powerful like you said :teach:

Cannot argue with you there.

quat 10-23-2003 08:49 PM

Quote:

A mean streak isnt essential to be a power forward...i know its part of being one but look at John Leclair and Eric Lindros, those guys are anything but mean...Theyre just physical and get the job done.

Being physical and getting the job done(scoring goals) is something i can picture King doing.

Was that the Eric Lindros that would school your best D, score a highlight goal and then beat the snot out of your enforcer? Or the Eric Lindros after all the head injuries?

Jason King seems to be a goal scorer, not a power forward.

B-rock 10-23-2003 08:54 PM

Quote:

Maybe you didn]t watch Lindros back before he got his brains bashed in but he was a scary hockey player. There's a reason that he is so soft in the head these days. He would either be knocking the crap out of anyone that got in his way, or guys like Stevens would be looking for a little payback towards Eric with a good hit of their own. It is only in the last few years that Lindros has lost his physical edge as a hockey player, and that is only because he has to watch out for the little amount that remains in his head these days. And the structure of his contract certainly doesn't contribute to physical play either, seeing as how it gives incentives on amount of games played rather than points or anything substantial like that.

The same could be said for John Leclair before he got injured. Though he was never as physical of a player as Lindros once was. But he has definitely lost that aspect of his play since his back woes.

King could never be considered a 'power forward'. A power forward is a guy that has some weight to throw around and can also put the puck in the net. In other words he doesn't hesitate to use physical play. King doesn't have the body type to be a power forward. Yes, he is willing to go hard to the net and take his lumps standing in front, but he is never going to intimidate anyone with his physical play and hard body checks.
I think he could be likened more to Robataille in the sense that he doesn't possess blinding speed but has a knack for knowing where to be, mucks around in the slot, and has a good shot to boot.

Mizral 10-23-2003 09:01 PM

Jason King reminds me of Tomas Holmstrom when he stands in front of the net.

Certainly not a power forward though. More of a 'gritty forward' like Cooke, however. Unless King bulks up and hits the weight room and does a Ryan Smyth impression, he won't develop into a powerforward. But that's okay, we have enough powerforwards as is.

Peter Griffin 10-23-2003 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
But that's okay, we have enough powerforwards as is.

Never, ever say that again! You can never have enough offensively talented power forwards... :)