HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Pitkanen for Norris??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=220568)

TheKingPin 02-08-2006 09:34 PM

Pitkanen for Norris???

I dont think that he will be able to get it this year but personally I think he could be the Norris winner for many,many,many years to come. Its wierd to think this as usually you see vets like Lidstrom win it. I think Pitkanen will be the next generations great D-Man. Am I alone in this? Or do you guys think he will just be real good like a Redden etc type guy. :confused:

Gert B Frobe 02-08-2006 09:42 PM

I think he has more upside than Redden - the way he comes through the neutral zone as fast as he does - and he does not look at the puck, just manages his way through traffic. He has all the skills but his best asset is his vision IMO. I never thought he would get much of an edge or bulk up as much as he has. He could definitely win a couple Norris trophies - we'll see - and it will be fun to watch.

goodrev 02-08-2006 09:47 PM

he has shown that he most definately is going to be a candidate in future years, before he got hurt he was having a norris year but because the lost games he has no chance, next year will be interesting

Teezax 02-08-2006 09:56 PM

Right before his injury I think he would have been on pace for a vote, he definitely has what it takes. I believe his name will be on that trophy soon enough.

FlyersGuy69 02-08-2006 10:37 PM

apparently, Dion Phaneuf is the best defensemen in the league and everyone else is fighting for seconds. :teach: :sarcasm:

budscweizer16 02-08-2006 11:41 PM

Funny i was just thinking the same thing as i watched the flyers game. He realy is unbelievable. He will def get a couple Norris trophys, i think hes that good.

I think Pitkanen and Phaneuf are going to be the next 2 great defensemen much like Lidstrom and Pronger of the 90's. Im realy happy to have a talent like Joni. :yo:

stanley 02-08-2006 11:58 PM

Norris shmorris. It's just an award, handed out subjectively. It isn't the measure of a player.

He really plays confidently for such a young player. A few times tonight, just like before his injury, you could see him down low and he doesn't at all look like he panics - like the time tonight when he turned in his own zone and the puck took a funny hop, ending up near his feet. Two Isles converged but he stayed cool and skated off with the puck. Phaneuf's outstanding, too, but it seems there are differences to their games. Six of one, half-dozen of another, really.

Dig Out Your Soul 02-09-2006 12:15 AM

Pitkanen will win a number of Norris trophies. He's going to start putting up ridiculous offensive numbers, better than Phaneuf, and will take home that trophy a lot.

The Kingslayer 02-09-2006 01:10 AM

Throw in a 2nd rounder and you can have Chuck Norris

C-J...* 02-09-2006 04:27 AM

When Forsberg retires/leaves the team, the offensive production from guys like Pitkänen & Gagne, will drop considerably.

I dont think that most people realize how big an impact Forsberg has on a team. Even though he might be "off his game", he makes everyone around him alot better.

Pitkänen is an amazing talent, but not nearly as talented as everyone in here makes him out to be.

Jeepers Creeper 02-09-2006 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starshollow
When Forsberg retires/leaves the team, the offensive production from guys like Pitkänen & Gagne, will drop considerably.

I dont think that most people realize how big an impact Forsberg has on a team. Even though he might be "off his game", he makes everyone around him alot better.

Pitkänen is an amazing talent, but not nearly as talented as everyone in here makes him out to be.

Your dislike to Finnish players is amusing.

edd1e 02-09-2006 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacklabel

i agree

BobbyClarkeFan16 02-09-2006 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
apparently, Dion Phaneuf is the best defensemen in the league and everyone else is fighting for seconds. :teach: :sarcasm:

Actually, Phaneuf has been great. And no, it won't surprise me if Phaneuf wins several Norris trophies during his career.

Tat2dRich 02-09-2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

When Forsberg leaves the team carter and Richards will have bulked up a bit and their skill level will have increased. Clarkie understands (finally) the need for a high scoring rather than a mucking center, and will do what ever it takes to get a top-five scorer on this team although both the Primeau type and the Forsberg type both have their importance to the Flyers.

Personally, I see Joni as the prototypical "new NHL" defenseman and expect several Norris Trophies in his future. By the way, for the "Finn-haters, I guess nittimaki's performance will drop too when Forsberg's gone? In case we haven't noticed, Forsberg's been gone quite a bit this year already.

FlyersFanJS 02-09-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tat2dRich
Personally, I see Joni as the prototypical "new NHL" defenseman and expect several Norris Trophies in his future. By the way, for the "Finn-haters, I guess nittimaki's performance will drop too when Forsberg's gone? In case we haven't noticed, Forsberg's been gone quite a bit this year already.

:biglaugh:

I'm trying to figure out how Forsberg is affecting Pitkanen so much...I understand his playmaking, but don't push it

BringBackStevens 02-09-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

This statement has pretty much no backing. Forsberg's departure will drop gagne's production no doubt about that, but relating that to pitkanen's play is a major stretch.

WADEugottaBELAKthat 02-09-2006 01:48 PM

Joni will be a favorite to win it NEXT YEAR. Phaneuf, though solid and spectacular in his own way, does not have the keen vision or individual puck skills Pitkanen does.

Although Phaneuf has an uncanny ability to get juicy shots on net that create.

Jester 02-09-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylez19
This statement has pretty much no backing. Forsberg's departure will drop gagne's production no doubt about that, but relating that to pitkanen's play is a major stretch.

at that time Carter, and Richards should be developing into consistent offensive players at the NHL level... wouldn't be shocked to see another contract put in front of Forsberg at that.

Brodeur 02-09-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersphan
Or do you guys think he will just be real good like a Redden etc type guy. :confused:

Don't think there'd be anything wrong with being a Redden-type defender. You guys got a hell of a player, that's all I know.

budscweizer16 02-09-2006 03:28 PM

Quote:

your nuts :eek:

C-J...* 02-09-2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budscweizer16
your nuts :eek:

What about my nuts?

Gert B Frobe 02-09-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

What about my nuts?

your chin

SChan* 02-09-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacklabel

his opinion does not make him dislike finnish players.

markzab 02-09-2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
your chin

:biglaugh:

Reminds me of an old high school joke...

What do you call nuts on a wall? Walnuts
What do you call nuts on a chest? Chestnuts
What do you call nuts on a chin? My d... in your mouth. :eek:

Kept it clean so I hope I don't get in trouble. ;)

TheKingPin 02-09-2006 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur
Don't think there'd be anything wrong with being a Redden-type defender. You guys got a hell of a player, that's all I know.

I agree that Redden like would be great by I think Joni has the ability to do much better a la Nick Lidstrom. Because he will most likely stay with the Flyers, and the Flyers will most likely have a competitive team Pitkanen will have the oppurtunity to put up big stats and be know.