HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I'm a dissenter (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22121)

SmokeyClause 10-23-2003 08:16 AM

I'm a dissenter

HF just gained a ticked off Preds fan here.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1775600

We are 7th? We were 8th last year and added a wonderful draft and gain one spot? The Flyers are ahead of us?

For the Kings, they include Pushkarev from this years draft. Why is Glazachev not mentioned for the Preds? Of Course they don't even include Upshall for the Preds or Tootoo or Soin.

No way the Kings have a better system. No way one first rounder and two late first rounders makes you jump from 10th to 1st.

And don't get me started on the Flyers. Sharp? If you are going to include Sharp, then there are about 8 other Preds you should include as well.

Joe T Choker 10-23-2003 09:06 AM

agreed...they screwed up but good this time around...we were 8th last year...and had the best draft, bar none and they up us one place...I wonder if there head was stuck in another orifice while they were putting this list together?

dulzhok 10-23-2003 10:24 AM

Quote:

For the Kings, they include Pushkarev from this years draft. Why is Glazachev not mentioned for the Preds? Of Course they don't even include Upshall for the Preds or Tootoo or Soin.

No way the Kings have a better system. No way one first rounder and two late first rounders makes you jump from 10th to 1st.

And don't get me started on the Flyers.
The kings had 3 first rounders-- Brown, Tambellini, Boyle-- three extremely impressive offensive prospects (I wish we had traded up for Tambellini). They already had an impressive stable of offensive prospects including Camerelli, Aulin, and Kanko. In addition, they have two high end defensive prospects-- Grebeshov and Gleason. I don't think the #1 position is that much of a reach for them. There are a few teams that could contend for the #1 position and I think they're one of them.

The reason that more prospect were listed for the Kings is becuase they were rated #1. Every other team has their top 5 prospects listed.

I also think Philly is worthy of top 5. They have the best defensive prospect in hockey (Pitkanen). In addition, they another potential #1 dman in Woywita. They picked up two excellent centers in this first round this year-- Carter and Richards.

The only team that seems out of place ahead of us is Washington.

I wouldn't get too upset of this. It's just a list. We have two top-end defensive prospects (Hamhuis, Suter). We don't have any sure-fire NHL offensive weapons. Shishkanov and Glachacev are wildcards at this point. Tootoo's and Upshall's NHL offensive potential is a big question mark at this point.

I do think we have the best depth of any team after the top 5, though. Guys like Tootoo, Klein, Shishkanov, Glachaev, Finley, Setzinger, Widing, Weber, Stehlik, Pivko, etc.

SmokeyClause 10-23-2003 10:26 AM

The problem Dulzhok is your are judging the top-end talent. Though I think we have more of that than LA (they have no one better than Hamhuis, Suter or possibly Upshall). We have more depth as well. Philly has a better prospect in Pitkanen but beyond that, it's not even comparable to Nashville.

dulzhok 10-23-2003 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
The problem Dulzhok is your are judging the top-end talent. Though I think we have more of that than LA (they have no one better than Hamhuis, Suter or possibly Upshall). We have more depth as well. Philly has a better prospect in Pitkanen but beyond that, it's not even comparable to Nashville.

It is comparable, and it's entirely subjective. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would take a guy like Wowitka, Brown, Carter, or Richards over Upshall.

In all honesty, looking deep into this is pretty pointless. We can compare and contrast Ryan Suter to all these other players, but how valid are our points? How many times have you seen Ryan Suter in game action? I've seen him once. How many times ahve you seen Mike Richards, Brian Boyle, Jeff Tambellini, and Jeff Wowitka? I've seen Tambellini a times, and that's it.

It's not worth the effort. We have enough trouble comparing and contrasting guys we've seen 100 times (Lewgand, Arkhipov, Erat, Hartnell, etc). To compare and contrast what guys we haven't seen at all (for the most part) is pointless.

SmokeyClause 10-23-2003 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
It is comparable, and it's entirely subjective. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would take a guy like Wowitka, Brown, Carter, or Richards over Upshall.

In all honesty, looking deep into this is pretty pointless. We can compare and contrast Ryan Suter to all these other players, but how valid are our points? How many times have you seen Ryan Suter in game action? I've seen him once. How many times ahve you seen Mike Richards, Brian Boyle, Jeff Tambellini, and Jeff Wowitka? I've seen Tambellini a times, and that's it.

It's not worth the effort. We have enough trouble comparing and contrasting guys we've seen 100 times (Lewgand, Arkhipov, Erat, Hartnell, etc). To compare and contrast what guys we haven't seen at all (for the most part) is pointless.

Good point.

Enoch 10-23-2003 11:15 AM

Hey we still have one of the best pools of prospects in the league, and virtually none of them have question marks. Almost all the players we draft have solid work ethics, are talented, and are role players. This is great for our team, and things can really only go up from here!

Anyone know what draft picks we have next year? I know we picked up a 3rd from Buffalo and a 3rd from Colorado, but is that it?

SmokeyClause 10-23-2003 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
Hey we still have one of the best pools of prospects in the league, and virtually none of them have question marks. Almost all the players we draft have solid work ethics, are talented, and are role players. This is great for our team, and things can really only go up from here!

Anyone know what draft picks we have next year? I know we picked up a 3rd from Buffalo and a 3rd from Colorado, but is that it?

If Shiskanov doesn't light it up, I wouldn't be suprised to see us package some players and make a run for Ovechkin. It's not characteristic Preds, but we need the offensive spark.

Enoch 10-23-2003 11:27 AM

Quote:

If Shiskanov doesn't light it up, I wouldn't be suprised to see us package some players and make a run for Ovechkin. It's not characteristic Preds, but we need the offensive spark.

If we continue to play like we have been, we will likely miss the lottery. Unless you mean trade for a draft pick.

SmokeyClause 10-23-2003 11:33 AM

Yeah, trade up (using a package of players/picks).

The only way we nab Ovechkin straight up in the draft is if we have a rash of injuries the likes of which we have never seen.

Enoch 10-23-2003 11:57 AM

Quote:

Yeah, trade up (using a package of players/picks).

The only way we nab Ovechkin straight up in the draft is if we have a rash of injuries the likes of which we have never seen.

or if Vokoun goes out for the season....Of course we could probably nab a goalie for cheap, but Vokoun is our backbone.

SmokeyClause 10-23-2003 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
or if Vokoun goes out for the season....Of course we could probably nab a goalie for cheap, but Vokoun is our backbone.

that was kind of what I meant with 'never been seen before'. I've never seen Vokie go out for a season. It's not something I want to see, but it could be a catalyst.

dulzhok 10-23-2003 07:07 PM

Quote:

Assuming the Ovechkin is all the hype he's talked up to be, it will be next to impossible to trade up for the #1 pick.

When Kovalchuk was the undisputed stud of the 2001 draft, Montreal basically offered their whole team to trade up to the #1 position. Nothing happened. It's next to impossible.

The closest example is Lindros (he was traded a year after being drafted #1 overall). He went for Forsberg, Ricci, Chris Simon, Hextall, 2 first round draft picks, and cash. It would be impossible for us to put a package like that together.

dulzhok 10-23-2003 07:17 PM

If we really want a true offensive weapon, I would atleast look into the possibility of getting Gaborik. As you know, I strongly believe that our team in in serious need of a go-to offensive guy (now and in the future).

But, we'd have to offer something considerable.

For example: Legwand + another considerable player (ideally: Upshall, what it would likely take: Hamhuis).

Also, something else I'd find appealing would be something centered around Arkhipov in a package for Comire.

SmokeyClause 10-24-2003 07:14 AM

Quote:

If we really want a true offensive weapon, I would atleast look into the possibility of getting Gaborik. As you know, I strongly believe that our team in in serious need of a go-to offensive guy (now and in the future).

For example: Legwand + another considerable player (ideally: Upshall, what it would likely take: Hamhuis).

Also, something else I'd find appealing would be something centered around Arkhipov in a package for Comire.

Legwand AND Upshall would nab Gaborik easily. I think an Arkhi for Comrie deal would be interesting.

Joe T Choker 10-24-2003 07:23 AM

Quote:

That was mentioned in an article on one of the sports websites this past week

Legwand or Arkhy for Comrie

triggrman 10-24-2003 07:38 AM

I'd give up Arkhy and Upshall for Comrie.

barrytrotzsneck 10-24-2003 08:17 AM

I'd do that deal and add in a few cartwheels\back handsprings. Hell, I'll buy the plane tickets.