HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   this years draft. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=221444)

HoverCarle* 02-11-2006 11:16 AM

this years draft.
 
if clarke decides to use all the picks to upgrade in this years draft, who would you like to see him get?

i think we need either a good D man or a scoring winger. obviosuly johnson or toews would be good but i dunno if he can upgrade that high. maybe if we were to go for a center with hopes of putting him on the wing maybe jordon staal would do? 6-4 210 pounds is a big guy. also he plays on downies ohl team so maybe clarke will want him if he shows chemistry with downie? what do you guys think?

edit fixed

Jester 02-11-2006 11:28 AM

i think, assuming we don't use a bunch of picks in upcoming trades, that we will almost definitely try to jump up in this draft... however, having a bunch of 1st/2nd round picks put into the system isn't the worst thing either.

bodangleroo28 02-11-2006 01:05 PM

i personaly think that this could be a very big draft year for us because we could either keep our 1st 4 2nds 2 3rds and upgrade our prospect system or we could makes some deals and move up and get us a very good prospect mabye a wing to complement richards or carter... many things could happend this year

RoDu 02-11-2006 01:35 PM

I'm surprised Clarke has not traded away any of these pics yet. Either way, the cupboard is bare prospect wise, we need to replenish it asap

Dig Out Your Soul 02-11-2006 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft
if hitch decides to use all the picks to upgrade in this years draft, who would you like to see him get?

i think we need either a good D man or a scoring winger. obviosuly johnson or toews would be good but i dunno if he can upgrade that high. maybe if we were to go for a center with hopes of putting him on the wing maybe jordon staal would do? 6-4 210 pounds is a big guy. also he plays on downies ohl team so maybe hicth will want him if he shows chemistry with downie? what do you guys think?

Last I checked, Bob Clarke was the man making these decisions.

I would like to see a better effort in trading up this year to get one of the highly touted guys, Toews, Jordan Staal. I was more than happy with the steal we got last summer picking Downie so late (well, at the time it seemed early, but it's fair to say if the draft was tomorrow, he'd be picked top 5-10) but I don't think we'll get that lucky 2 years in a row. Jordan Staal would be perfect for this team, he's got the size and skill.

daynus 02-11-2006 04:27 PM

Draft
 
yes all those picks are nice. and our top two needs are defense and Wing. Getting into the top 3 of the draft is gonna be very difficult, Very Good talent, but the price will be very high. I can see us moving up to the 12-15 range though. there are lots of teams that are also needing depth for there franchise.

GKJ 02-11-2006 04:55 PM

Staal's stock went up, he's probably a top 10 pick.



Bob Sanguinetti is A defenseman I tabbed a while back in an earlier thread. Good skills, smallish, but guys are getting so big nowadays that its not so hard to find a big defenseman. In recent drafts, Clarke likes to go to the well in Canada, and he likes to go OHL.

On the CSS midterm rankings, a player who has fallen a bit is Nick Foligno, however, there is going to be someone in the top third of the board who will have him pegged from the get-go. A LW with a lefthanded shot. Not sure about his size, he is 6' 190, he will have to bulk up a little bit, and his dad played in the NHL so he has a pedigree.



The fact of the matter is anymore is that every team drafts the best player available unless it's the top 7 or 8 picks. I can't count how many times the past few years that I've watched the draft and teams drafted guys they really didn't "need."

FearTheFlyers 02-11-2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Bob Sanguinetti is A defenseman I tabbed a while back in an earlier thread. Good skills, smallish, but guys are getting so big nowadays that its not so hard to find a big defenseman. In recent drafts, Clarke likes to go to the well in Canada, and he likes to go OHL.

Hear hear with Sanguinetti.

Gags1288 02-11-2006 05:45 PM

I would love to see an impact player and I think anyone in this year's top 10 could be that, though maybe not franchise quality. You're not going to be able to move up to the top 2, so forget Johnson and Kessel (though I'd give up a ton for Johnson). I think they should try to move up as far as possible and get Mueller, Toews, Staal, or Frolik. That being said, if they move up, it'll probably be for a defenseman.

Dig Out Your Soul 02-11-2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Staal's stock went up, he's probably a top 10 pick.



Bob Sanguinetti is A defenseman I tabbed a while back in an earlier thread. Good skills, smallish, but guys are getting so big nowadays that its not so hard to find a big defenseman. In recent drafts, Clarke likes to go to the well in Canada, and he likes to go OHL.

On the CSS midterm rankings, a player who has fallen a bit is Nick Foligno, however, there is going to be someone in the top third of the board who will have him pegged from the get-go. A LW with a lefthanded shot. Not sure about his size, he is 6' 190, he will have to bulk up a little bit, and his dad played in the NHL so he has a pedigree.



The fact of the matter is anymore is that every team drafts the best player available unless it's the top 7 or 8 picks. I can't count how many times the past few years that I've watched the draft and teams drafted guys they really didn't "need."

I've only seen Foligno play a few times this year, but I know Sudbury fans are consistently unimpressed with his efforts.

GKJ 02-11-2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
I've only seen Foligno play a few times this year, but I know Sudbury fans are consistently unimpressed with his efforts.


Could be a good reason why he dropped considerably in the ranking then

FearTheFlyers 02-11-2006 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Could be a good reason why he dropped considerably in the ranking then

I'd stay away from Foligno. Too soft, too inconsistent.

GKJ 02-12-2006 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou
I'd stay away from Foligno. Too soft, too inconsistent.


sounds like a guy Clarke would stay awya from too.



Tell me though, what makes him a potential 1st round pick?

bodangleroo28 02-12-2006 12:40 PM

i think we need a wing because we need a playmaker for carter ... a good playmaker would be great for after forsberg a carter gagne playmaker would be awesome

RoDu 02-12-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyer6
i think we need a wing because we need a playmaker for carter ... a good playmaker would be great for after forsberg a carter gagne playmaker would be awesome

We also need a good solid defenseman. Meyer and Jones are decent, but they'll never be high end guys. None of the other young defenseman in our system look to be either.
But we also need some scoring wingers. So take the best defenseman/winger available

Roger's Pancreas* 02-12-2006 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyer6
i think we need a wing because we need a playmaker for carter ... a good playmaker would be great for after forsberg a carter gagne playmaker would be awesome

Richards fits that bill. He's managed a few flashes of brilliance and given a full time spot on the top line, I think he could manage to do alot of great things. He's like Ron Francis but with a temper. I do think we need a playmaker for Carter, Umberger's good and has alot of hustle/skill but somethings missing.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Umberger-Carter-XXXXXXX
Ruzicka-Handzus-Radio [I'm lovin the potential of this line]
4th line better include Eager, Downie that's all I know.

Dig Out Your Soul 02-12-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Richards fits that bill. He's managed a few flashes of brilliance and given a full time spot on the top line, I think he could manage to do alot of great things. He's like Ron Francis but with a temper. I do think we need a playmaker for Carter, Umberger's good and has alot of hustle/skill but somethings missing.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Umberger-Carter-XXXXXXX
Ruzicka-Handzus-Radio [I'm lovin the potential of this line]
4th line better include Eager, Downie that's all I know.

Downie is an incredible playmaker, he plays right wing with Carter. He's got way too much skill for the 4th line. He can play any role, but he's most effective with lots of icetime and with guys that can score. I think they'd make a great duo.

Roger's Pancreas* 02-12-2006 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
We also need a good solid defenseman. Meyer and Jones are decent, but they'll never be high end guys. None of the other young defenseman in our system look to be either.
But we also need some scoring wingers. So take the best defenseman/winger available

I honestly see Jones being shopped. Call it a feeling but he just hasn't impressed the same way Meyer has. The fact that he's on a one way for that cheap also puts management in a situation where, if Randy takes a step back at all he's gone, just like Seids.

As for the steady defenseman, you're just not looking deep enough. Picard is our man. He's got a great defensive game, some offensive upside, and a pretty hard shot to bolster our PP. The thing that's really impressive is his size, he's 6-2 and 214 lbs at twenty years old, he's solid!

Roger's Pancreas* 02-12-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
Downie is an incredible playmaker, he plays right wing with Carter. He's got way too much skill for the 4th line. He can play any role, but he's most effective with lots of icetime and with guys that can score. I think they'd make a great duo.

You're probably right. The other thing that'll make him incredibly difficult to play against is his strength, he can work with Umberger to dig the puck out of the corner for Beavis. This looks a little better IMO.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Umberger-Carter-Downie
Ruzicka-Handzus-Radio
Eager-XXXXXX-Kapanen

HoverCarle* 02-12-2006 03:10 PM

4th line center could be ellison if he develops soon.

bodangleroo28 02-12-2006 03:19 PM

i say we keep two of our seconds and draft 2 defense men and trade the rest to get as high as we can in the draft and get a good winger

Dig Out Your Soul 02-12-2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
You're probably right. The other thing that'll make him incredibly difficult to play against is his strength, he can work with Umberger to dig the puck out of the corner for Beavis. This looks a little better IMO.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Umberger-Carter-Downie
Ruzicka-Handzus-Radio
Eager-XXXXXX-Kapanen

I like it. :handclap:

Plus Forsberg might get an extension, that would take pressure off of so many young guys in the lineup.

Roger's Pancreas* 02-12-2006 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft
4th line center could be ellison if he develops soon.

Or Gratton. I've never thought much of him, and to be entirely honest I still don't think too highly of him, but he has shown that he could step up and not look too out of place.

The main reason for bringing him in would be to protect our players, something Brashear has shown no willingness to do, and it's something Gratton seems to genuinly enjoy doing. He loves it. This year he's put up eight goals, and nine assists, which isn't all the impressive by itself; but couple it with the fact that he has 261 PIMs and is on an offensively stunted Phantoms squad, the statistic tells a little bit more.

Pantokrator 02-12-2006 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Umberger-Carter-XXXXXXX
Ruzicka-Handzus-Radio [I'm lovin the potential of this line]
4th line better include Eager, Downie that's all I know.

I never looked at what this team would look like in a couple of years. This is much better than I thought.

But you are forgetting Brian Savage. Hitchcock said he would try to give Clarke a nudge to give him a 10 year extension on his contract, so he can continue to get 30 minutes of playing time a game while averaging 10 goals a year, and take valuable playing time away from youngsters...at least, I think that is what Hitchcock must be thinking. Do you think someone gave Hitchcock an offer he coudn't refuse to make him play Savage so much? :sarcasm:

HoverCarle* 02-12-2006 04:56 PM

well thats what wed all love too see but you know clarke is gonna bring in some washed up veterans or resign brashear for 2.5 mil/year


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.