HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   habs in search of a #2 center (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=221736)

phil76 02-12-2006 02:50 PM

habs in search of a #2 center

The Canadiens are in the market for a big No.2 center, reports the Montreal Gazette, which could lead to the departure of Mike Ribeiro.

With Saku Koivu locked up for three more seasons (read signing), the Habs have Radek Bonk and rookie Tomas Plekanec capable of playing up the middle, leaving Ribeiro available for trade.

Ribeiro has been enjoying some success playing on a like with Alexei Kovalev and Alexander Perezhogin, however the Gazette suggests that's merely a ploy to showcase him to other trade.
Click Here!

It has been speculated that the Canadiens are eyeing the likes of Florida's Olli Jokinen, Tampa Bay's Brad Richards and Chicago's Mark Bell.

Jokinen is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1, while Richards and Bell will be restricted.

According to various reports, the Canadiens have been talking to the Blackhawks for several weeks and could be seeking more than Bell.

wich players would be a great fit in mtl and what would it cost to get it

x-bob 02-12-2006 02:51 PM

I beleive taht Ribs value has went up considerebly since he has been on a line with Kovalev and Perez. If we trade him I would like to get something good, not junk. If nothing shows up then I would prefer to keep him considering that he has been playing great lately.

MathMan 02-12-2006 03:20 PM

Errr, that'd be nice, but I figure neither Richards, nor Bell, nor Jokinen are on the market...

Maxpac 02-12-2006 05:03 PM

Jokinen would be perfect!!!

Rise from the Ashes 02-12-2006 05:04 PM

Jason Arnott Jason Arnott... oh and Jason Arnott!

HuskyFlames 02-12-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Zednik
Jason Arnott Jason Arnott... oh and Jason Arnott!

I think he would be a solid addition and a good fit for the Habs #2 center spot next year.

LeHab 02-12-2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
Jokinen would be perfect!!!

He would be perfect for a 1st line center but we have already signed Koivu, unless you want Jokinen for the remaining of the season + playoffs only...but I suspect the price is going to be too high for this type of rental.

Souffle 02-12-2006 06:19 PM

Of the four guys mentioned, only Bell plays on a team that is certainly not going to make the playoffs. But he's part of their young core, and I find it hard to believe they would trade him unless: a) they get something similar back, and b) they feel it's time to change their core. Ryder seems like an obvious candidate, Ribeiro is available, and there have been rumors that the Chicago likes Souray. Still don't see it though.

Florida is definitely on the outside, but they want to re-sign Jokinen. If they trade him, the price will be huge relative to the risk of losing him to UFA. Unless Koivu can Finn-esse the situation and convince him to re-sign, it would be too much to pay for a playoff run as the 8th seed. It's also hard to believe that Montreal could outbid Ottawa, Philly, and other genuine Cup contenders, at least without giving up valuable young parts. Then again, no one expected the Balej + a 2nd for Kovalev, which has worked out very well despite the initial protestations from Habs fans about losing a "top prospect."

I don't see Richards or Arnott leaving their teams. Why would they disrupt their core heading into the playoffs? Richards might still be dealt eventually, but probably only in the off-season in a blockbuster. All in all, seems like slim pickings with very high price tags.

ForsbergForever 02-12-2006 06:45 PM

I find it startling that so many people are willing to include Ryder as a throw in, in the numerous proposals bandied about. He's a 25 yr old, 6-1/195lbs scoring winger, with tons of potential. If there is one player on this team thats not available to trade its Ryder (and maybe Markov). Ribeiro, Zednik, Bonk, Plekanec, Souray and Bulis are all tradable but the young and talented core of Ryder, Higgins, Perezhogin, Komisarek, Kostitsyn and Markov should be left intact at all costs. With Chipchura, Locke, Latendresse and Price in the mix for the future, things could be looking very good in future as long as we add and not subtract to our stable of 20-something stars in the making.

Souffle 02-12-2006 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever
I find it startling that so many people are willing to include Ryder as a throw in, in the numerous proposals bandied about. He's a 25 yr old, 6-1/195lbs scoring winger, with tons of potential. If there is one player on this team thats not available to trade its Ryder (and maybe Markov). Ribeiro, Zednik, Bonk, Plekanec, Souray and Bulis are all tradable but the young and talented core of Ryder, Higgins, Perezhogin, Komisarek, Kostitsyn and Markov should be left intact at all costs. With Chipchura, Locke and Price in the mix for the future, things could be looking very good in future as long as we add and not subtract to our stable of 20-something stars in the making.

He's no throw-in. The point of including Ryder is to provide a meaningful centerpiece in a deal for something of quality. All those others (except for Plekanec, who I think is more of a keeper for now) aren't worth much, at least when it comes to "big no. 2 centers" and "top defencemen."

Anyway, it's another issue as to whether he's overrated, as some tend to think.

Freaky Habs Fan 02-12-2006 08:24 PM

From the sound of it, Jokinen will cost a 1st round pick + something so I don't think the Habs would be ready to pay that much for a rental...

If Tampa wants a "#1" goaltender, the Habs could make a package with Theo as the centerpiece to land Richards but it will peobably never ever happen with the new cap next year...

As for Mark Bell, I could see the Habs interested in him because we need more intensity and more grit on the team. I wold be ready to make a pacakge with Ryder to land Bell and one of the good defenceman prospect of the Hawks...

But IMO, we don't absolutly need another center. We have 4 center who are playing well and Bulis/Begin can step up in case of an injury...

I Am Ziggy Palffy 02-12-2006 08:29 PM

can anyone confrim whether the Hawks are actually interested in trading Bell? I've always liked his combo of skill and toughness..

Darth Milbury 02-12-2006 10:43 PM

Chicago is not going to trade Bell. As you say, he is a wonderful combination of skill and toughness and Chicago is building around him.

Stuy 02-12-2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
can anyone confrim whether the Hawks are actually interested in trading Bell? I've always liked his combo of skill and toughness..

Tallon has said numerous times that everyone is available except Keith, Seabrook and Ruutu.

Darth Milbury 02-12-2006 11:51 PM

There is a difference between "available" and "Chicago is trying to trade Bell." I think Chicago would trade Bell is some team over paid substantially (and, if we're talking a Habs deal - the likes of Souray, Zednik, and Ribiero are not going to get anything done). Personally, I'd be willing to bet that Bell is wearing a Hawk uniform this time next season.

AH 02-13-2006 09:25 AM

Dont be so sure of that Darth. Marc Bergevin (Hawks scout) has been following the Habs around since early January. And everytime, the Habs broadcast team asks him who he is watching today, he clearly states Sheldon Souray everytime.

Either he is lying or he is always in town visiting the various world famous strip clubs.

And anyways, is Bell even a Center? I thought the Hawks used him as a winger?

Maxpac 02-13-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH

And anyways, is Bell even a Center?

i swear that took me 5 min to catch it....... anyways i'd be willing to package Ryder for Jokinen, we have alot of winger prospects(Perezhogin, Kostytsin, Latendresse, Higgins...) but the only real centers we have worth talking about are Koivu an Pleckanek, Chipchura will be our future shut down guy. Buliding around Koivu and Jokinen would be great for us, sort of ala San Jose. the only problem is that to sign him next year, guys like Zednick, Sundstrom, Bonk have to go witch isin't really so sad...

RC51 02-13-2006 10:06 AM

It's Jokinen or nothing.

Seph 02-13-2006 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH
Dont be so sure of that Darth. Marc Bergevin (Hawks scout) has been following the Habs around since early January. And everytime, the Habs broadcast team asks him who he is watching today, he clearly states Sheldon Souray everytime.

Either he is lying or he is always in town visiting the various world famous strip clubs.

And anyways, is Bell even a Center? I thought the Hawks used him as a winger?

Bell has primarily played LW with the Hawks, but he has also played C in his career. I could be wrong, but I believe C is his natural position.

Anyway, the Hawks may well be interested in Souray but that doesn't mean they're going to give up Bell for him. And if they are, expect the Habs to add a lot to the deal to get it done.

Tuukka 02-13-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil76
The Canadiens are in the market for a big No.2 center, reports the Montreal Gazette, which could lead to the departure of Mike Ribeiro.

With Saku Koivu locked up for three more seasons (read signing), the Habs have Radek Bonk and rookie Tomas Plekanec capable of playing up the middle, leaving Ribeiro available for trade.

Ribeiro has been enjoying some success playing on a like with Alexei Kovalev and Alexander Perezhogin, however the Gazette suggests that's merely a ploy to showcase him to other trade.
Click Here!

It has been speculated that the Canadiens are eyeing the likes of Florida's Olli Jokinen, Tampa Bay's Brad Richards and Chicago's Mark Bell.

Jokinen is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1, while Richards and Bell will be restricted.

According to various reports, the Canadiens have been talking to the Blackhawks for several weeks and could be seeking more than Bell.

wich players would be a great fit in mtl and what would it cost to get it

I thouoght they just signed a #2 center to a big contract...... :dunno:

Seph 02-13-2006 10:41 AM

Does anyone else remember Habs fans guaranteeing that Ribeiro would still be the Habs' 2nd liner center by season's end? I seem to recall many of us being laughed at when we suggested the Habs would look to upgrade.

pspot 02-13-2006 10:48 AM

Jason Allison for Riberio
Allisons size and set up ability would do well with guys likes Kovalev, Zednik and Ryder
and teh Leafs could use some french flair in Riberio

joepeps 02-13-2006 10:51 AM

I doubt Toronto and Montreal trade but Allison is avail...

I don't see it happenign tho :dunno:

Artie 02-13-2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH

Why would Chicago be interested in Souray? Am I missing something?

Bugsy 02-13-2006 11:50 AM

Players that could make the Habs a better team instantly..................

1) JARRET STOLL
He is the perfect #2 center the Habs are looking for. Yes, he has more points than anyone on the Habs roster, but that's because he is playing for a better team in Edmonton. It would take an awful overpayment to get Stoll, but he'd be worth it!

2) MARK BELL
Yeah, I've read all the "Bell's not going anywhere" responses, but you have to remember, nobody is untouchable. Chicago is stinking badly and trading Bell may be the only way to get a good return to get them into any kind of winning situation in the next three years. Bell is not a superstar, he's not a franchise player. Ruutu is the player the Hawks' will be building around. If trading Bell can bring in the complimentary pieces to fit around him, then Bell will be moved!

Whether the Habs anything to offer the Oilers or Hawks is another story. I just wanted to post two players that are young enough not to be a rental but good enough to help the team now!