HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Hockey Scouting School (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=222102)

sandbox 02-13-2006 07:53 PM

Hockey Scouting School

Hey everyone, Im a student in the Business and Entrepreneurship of Sport and Recreation program at Mt Royal College in Calgary Alberta Canada. Ive been looking at a hockey scouting course offered online which I am interested in possibly taking. However, I am not sure about the legitimacy of it, nor the respect it garners in terms of NHL or Junior League Hockey Affiliates. What Im asking, is if anyone has any information about a program like this, or if possible, this course. Here is the link to the course's website for anyone who wants to take a look, and all the information I can get is helpful, about this course, another course, or hockey scouting, or how to get a foot in the door... Anything really. Thanks a lot; I would appreciate any feedback. Here is the link:

http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide...n_hockeygm.asp

N Bahn Ahden 02-13-2006 08:35 PM

Seems legit. I've never heard of the program but I have heard of those involved.

SML 02-13-2006 11:02 PM

Isn't EJ Hradek the guy who broke the story that Gretzky and Lemieux had gotten together at the last minute and saved the league from a lockout, only to have it be completely untrue? I saw this and it reminded me alot of those Bartending schools... I've yet to meet a bartender who has ever been to one. I think the "scouting" world is one of the true old boy networks, and it's a way for guys who have played to keep earning money long after retirement. I would say if you really wanted to break into that business, you'd have to start covering a team and evaluating talent. Send your analysis to a team. Send to all of them. They would either throw it in the garbage, or they'll read it. You info will either suck, in which case they'll throw it in the garbage, or it will be good. If they compared it to what they guys they are paying to do the job were saying and it's on the money, who knows? Maybe you'll get a response. I wouldn't get too discouraged though, because it could take years for you to find out if you were the fool or if you weren't, but just keep plugging away.

Schlep Rock 02-14-2006 12:14 PM

They mention the IHL several times when the league hasn't been around for years!

Draft Guru 02-14-2006 03:42 PM

Wow, this is definitely interesting. It's always been my dream to be a scout but I don't know how to get my foot in the door. I'd like to see if this course is really legit.

sandbox 02-14-2006 05:32 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the feedback, and would still be interested to know if anyone else has heard of it.
hey schlep rock, what exactly is a schlep rock?

hockeyfan125 02-14-2006 05:52 PM

courses like that are bogus..

I have briefly chatted with a high ranking guy in Canucks management (I got in contact through my uncle) and he says that the most important part of this industry is who you know. I just plan on doing my undergrad, trying to land a job with a minor hockey team, and then working my way up from there.

The Big Rig 02-14-2006 07:49 PM

I know a guy who took the Sport Business Management Program (another program they offer) through Sports Management Worldwide and ended up getting a job with Maple Leaf Sports. They do have connections that will help you get your foot in the door with sports franchises (internships are mandatory for that program), though I have no idea about how useful the Scouting Program would be.

Eb0la11 02-17-2006 01:19 PM

I am really interested in this program as well. But moreso just in hockey scouting, any actual scuts post on these boards that can give me some pointers on how to get into the industry?

Eb0la11 02-19-2006 12:23 AM

anyone? I was kinda hoping a decent discussion would surface.

sandbox 02-21-2006 11:42 PM

Anyone else have some info theyd like to add? Does anyone know these guys running the program?

Sherlock 02-21-2006 11:53 PM

EJ Hradek writes the hockey blog for ESPN insider. I don't read it that much any more, but I remember thinking it was all right. Nothing exceptional.

The whole thing smells fishy to me, to be honest, but I would consider doing it if I thought it to be legitimate. What we need is somebody that has enough money lying around to go for it and then relay the experience to everyone else here. I don't want to drop $1000 on this unless I know what I am getting...

Leslie Treff 02-24-2006 06:29 AM

FYI, its an extra $100 to have the books you need for the course shipped to your door.