HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Recent History of Flyers Playoff Goaltending (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=222291)

Pantokrator 02-14-2006 04:45 PM

Recent History of Flyers Playoff Goaltending

Over the past ten years, the Flyers were often seen as a team that had the talent to win the Cup but lacked a solid goalie. While I believe that the Flyers goaltending could have been better, was there a playoff series since 1995 where goaltending was the main reason for the team's failure? My memory fades, but I recall a series against ottawa I believe where the Flyers managed to score 4 goals in 5 games. I don't see how any goalie could have saved that series. Am I wrong in thinking that lack of scoring has always been the main problem with the Flyers in the playoffs?

goodrev 02-14-2006 06:14 PM

it was a series against buffalo 2002.... and yes the flyers inconsistent goalscoring has always been a problem they like to go into 3-5 game slumps only scoring 3-4 goals, they usually do it mid season but that year it happened to come in the playoffs, bill barber was fired because of it and cechmanek was traded because he was the only player on the ice who showed any heart during that seasons... amongst other things... ok he was traded because he was horrifying but him blowing up on the team didnt hurt

this team has been built on scoring timely goals and defence and now when the defence isnt as good (because of injuries) the team is struggling because it can not win on goal scoring alone and their goaltending is not phenominal to where it can steal them games (besides nitty on the road trip)

i was just looking at cechmanek's stats and i thought to myself "his stats look like he is domanik hasek" because they were phenominal even in a non hitch system, but then i remember watching the games and anyone else who watched him play will remember just why we got rid of him lol

Dr Love 02-14-2006 06:22 PM

2002 was against Ottawa, where even with Christ between the pipes the Flyers weren't going to win, as they couldn't buy a single goal. Cechmanek had, what, 1 goal scored for him in 3 games?

2001 and 1998 vs Buffalo were goaltending problems. 2000 and 2004 of course weren't, and all the other years the rest of the team was as big of a problem if not a bigger problem. Goaltending hasn't been the achilles heel in general, it's just the easiest to point at.

goodrev 02-14-2006 06:23 PM

i stand corrected... it was ottowa

FlyersFanJS 02-15-2006 09:28 AM

I completely agree...goaltending hasn't been great (although I do remember Esche stealing a game for them two years ago against NJ, i think it was game 4 or 5). As for this year, as long as we get healthy I am not worried about our scoring, but if we don't get some help via trade on the second line wing, we're in trouble.

I think a better question mark for the playoffs than the goaltending is the play of the rookies. They have been phenomenal all season, but with the grind and pressure of the playoffs, are players like Jones, Meyer, Umberger, and Carter ready to handle it? (note i left Richards off the list, I think he'll be just fine)

MiamiScreamingEagles 02-15-2006 09:45 AM

The goaltending woes are overrated as the main cause of the Flyers' playoff problems. At times there were crushing goals like the one against Hexy in 1995 against the Devils but his goaltending was a main factor the team reached that point. JVB had a 1.46 GAA in his lone playoff series in 1999; the Flyers scored three goals in their 4 losses. His fault solely? Nope. Goaltending overall has been mediocre in the postseason but not abysmal as come critics would paint the picture.

Jester 02-15-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
I completely agree...goaltending hasn't been great (although I do remember Esche stealing a game for them two years ago against NJ, i think it was game 4 or 5). As for this year, as long as we get healthy I am not worried about our scoring, but if we don't get some help via trade on the second line wing, we're in trouble.

I think a better question mark for the playoffs than the goaltending is the play of the rookies. They have been phenomenal all season, but with the grind and pressure of the playoffs, are players like Jones, Meyer, Umberger, and Carter ready to handle it? (note i left Richards off the list, I think he'll be just fine)

game 3 i think... didn't we lose game 4 and then win game 5? he played spectacular in one of the games at jersey.

GameFace247SON 02-15-2006 10:22 AM

didn't checkers have two 1-0 shutouts in the same series, and we didn't score in the other game, so he won 2 of three games with only 2 goals scored? I know he could be spotty, but like coatsey said all he did was stop the puck

GKJ 02-15-2006 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
2002 was against Ottawa, where even with Christ between the pipes the Flyers weren't going to win, as they couldn't buy a single goal. Cechmanek had, what, 1 goal scored for him in 3 games?

Zero even strength regulation goals.

Fedotenko scored an OT winner in Game 1 for a 1-0 win

Dan McGillis scored a power play goal in Game 5

John Flyers Fan 02-15-2006 02:38 PM

In the last 10 years, I'd blame two losses on goaltending:

1998 - Sean Burke vs Sabres

1999 - Vanbiesbrouck vs. Leafs

Beezer's numbers look very good, just 9 goals against in 6 games. Problem was at least 4 of the goals were extremely soft.