HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Gagne named an "A" alternate for team Canada (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=222518)

tytech 02-15-2006 11:25 AM

Gagne named an "A" alternate for team Canada

This was a bit of a shock. I thought only Philly new about his all around play. While some say his play this year is a reflection of Forsberg, Gagne is an awesome two way player and clearly had that role in previous International tournaments. Getting an A is a huge compliment and he should be counted on to play a larger role this year.

Synthetic 02-15-2006 11:34 AM

Good for him.

He pulled out an assist on the Thornton goal today for Canada.

Rails 02-15-2006 12:10 PM

He wasn't wearing the A today. I think they are rotating it between the for players named (Gagne, Iginla, Pronger, Blake). Iginla wore it today

Dig Out Your Soul 02-15-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rails
He wasn't wearing the A today. I think they are rotating it between the for players named (Gagne, Iginla, Pronger, Blake). Iginla wore it today

Great pic!

I'm betting Gagne will have the A on the red jersey, along with Blake. Pronger and Iginla wore them today on the white jersey.

GKJ 02-15-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
This was a bit of a shock. I thought only Philly new about his all around play. While some say his play this year is a reflection of Forsberg, Gagne is an awesome two way player and clearly had that role in previous International tournaments. Getting an A is a huge compliment and he should be counted on to play a larger role this year.

How do you think he got on the team the first time?

Ri hards 02-15-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514

If you watch the "Gold Rush 2002" DVD, you find out the last spot on the team came down to Primeau, Anson Carter, and Gagne.

They picked Gagne because he was solid defensively, but also had more skill than either of the other two.

You know, just as an aside, I've started to realize the only kind of propaganda Canada puts out is in regards to Hockey. The last one they put out about the World Cup of Hockey said somthing like - "Canada had one thing the other teams didn't have...camraderie and distinct sense that the players liked each other" They also said some cliche about hard work.

tytech 02-16-2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514

Simple. 33 goals the year before. Nough said.

Dig Out Your Soul 02-16-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
Simple. 33 goals the year before. Nough said.

His 33 goal season was the one in which the Olympics were held. He had 27 the year before though.

BobbyClarkeFan16 02-16-2006 09:06 PM

I think Gagne is a testament to shutting up and doing your assigned work. He could have been a major pain the past couple of years if he wanted to because he wasn't being used in an offensive role and instead, he just shut up and went about his business.

There's a perception that Gagne is a quiet leader. It's also a perception that he doesn't want the C because he's soft, but I think it's been something else other than that. I've watched games where Gagne has been mic'd and he's been very vocal on the ice.

I think Gagne may not have taken the captaincy because of how young he is and how he is finally having a breakout super season and he doesn't want to do anything to disrupt how things are going right now. As well, I think there's also a respect factor that might be involved.

Either way, Gagne has really stepped up his game to a new level this year. I'll give Hitch his due and say kudos for doing a great job in terms of bringing along Gagne to where he is now a skilled two-way forward. It's something to be good defensively, but it's something to be very good offensively and be one of the top getters in the league as well. Gagne will emerge as the building block of the NHL and will probably emerge eventually as it's most marketed player too.