HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Improving this forum? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=222652)

Roger's Pancreas* 02-15-2006 07:31 PM

Improving this forum?

Does anyone have any ideas to improve our forum? We have a prospect tracking thread, an injury thread, LOTN's pattend GDT threads, and now Max_Flys's video clips. What else can be done?

I'd like to see a time frame within the Flyers GDT threads where we predict the score/scorers, just like before. This time we keep track of the points and eventually give the winner, at the end of the regular season, bragging rights. [The only reason I don't want it to touch the POs is because I'm uber superstitious.]

FlyersFanJS 02-15-2006 09:48 PM

maybe a stat follower for the team and individual players....don't really think we need improvement on this forum, but it's a thought

Synthetic 02-15-2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
maybe a stat follower for the team and individual players....don't really think we need improvement on this forum, but it's a thought

I have one all set up, but it's a few pages back and it needs updating, but it should work out well once I get to it.

priceperlb* 02-16-2006 06:21 AM

How about a collective pulling of the heads out of southsides so there can be actual discussion instead of abuse of posters due to belief that even though you live in a dreamworld when it comes to actual hockey knowledge you can pretend to be superior behind the screen of anonymity, never admitting you are just a fan and probably failed at any level of sports you tried and that is why you post ignorant, beligerent thoughts on the internet.

My first post and I'll probably get banned, but I saw no reason to become the next poster to get defacated on after all the stupidity I've seen here. Later.

donelikedinner 02-16-2006 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger
How about a collective pulling of the heads out of southsides so there can be actual discussion instead of abuse of posters due to belief that even though you live in a dreamworld when it comes to actual hockey knowledge you can pretend to be superior behind the screen of anonymity, never admitting you are just a fan and probably failed at any level of sports you tried and that is why you post ignorant, beligerent thoughts on the internet.

My first post and I'll probably get banned, but I saw no reason to become the next poster to get defacated on after all the stupidity I've seen here. Later.

:cry: :D

MiamiScreamingEagles 02-16-2006 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Does anyone have any ideas to improve our forum? We have a prospect tracking thread, an injury thread, LOTN's pattend GDT threads, and now Max_Flys's video clips. What else can be done?

I'd like to see a time frame within the Flyers GDT threads where we predict the score/scorers, just like before. This time we keep track of the points and eventually give the winner, at the end of the regular season, bragging rights. [The only reason I don't want it to touch the POs is because I'm uber superstitious.]

Is it possible to do something like a weekly poll? Something like "Who is the Flyers' MVP at the Olympic Break?" followed by a list of five players. The questions can range from fun to the serious.

Vikke 02-16-2006 08:43 AM

Weekly poll is a good idea.

I'd like to see a stickied Phantoms thread, too.

Steve L* 02-17-2006 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Does anyone have any ideas to improve our forum?

Yeah, ban Pens fans. :D

Ronnie Bass 02-17-2006 06:01 AM

Nothing wrong with your forum fellas, your sticky's seem to cover everything necessary and anything more would be overkill.

Of all the team forums on this board I do find myself enjoying yours the most, don't fix what ain't broke.

GKJ 02-17-2006 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikke
Weekly poll is a good idea.

I'd like to see a stickied Phantoms thread, too.

Why sticky a thread when general discussion goes on a limited basis anyways.

There is not as many prospects with great futures on the team now to discuss since they're all up on the Flyers now.

BobbyClarkeFan16 02-17-2006 07:34 AM

I'd like to discuss some controversial topics that seem to be taboo on here. In particular, I'd love to see a Hitchcock sticky where the good and the bad can be discussed about what he's done. I'd love to see a sticky on why goaltenders often get run out of Philadelphia or how they stink it up after they've had a magical playoff run. Those are the kinds of things that can be fun, driven, and more importantly, thought provoking topics that could really set this board apart from others.

MojoJojo 02-17-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I'd love to see a sticky on why goaltenders often get run out of Philadelphia or how they stink it up after they've had a magical playoff run.

'Cause then we'd have every Troll in New Jersey and Toronto posting on here.

Miracle80 02-17-2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
'Cause then we'd have every Troll in New Jersey and Toronto posting on here.

Don't they come here anyway?

i am dave 02-18-2006 02:54 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you had a run-in with a very small sample of this forum. I don't know an equal to this forum, but that's just me.

My opinion...

Less trade proposal threads. Even the most realistic trade proposals (which are few and far between) are still speculation that don't come out of BC's office.

Maybe a sticky for trade proposals? I don't know. Maybe it's not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be.

Roger's Pancreas* 02-18-2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miracle80
Don't they come here anyway?

Why give them more amunition though, ya know.

I'm all for the weekly poll idea, second edition comes out tomorrow by anyone with some motivation. It shouldn't be stickied to avoid any clutter.

iceman42 02-20-2006 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS

I have been working on some code to automate the lookup of stats of the Flyers prospects, however due to work I haven't been working on it much. If there are some coders in here who would like to help me with the project I would be willing to pick up the project again.

PM me if you are interested.

stanley 02-21-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Minus the anger and self-rightousness (no offense, Stranger, but that's how it reads), I pretty much see this as the best way to improve the forum, too. We should all seek to elevate our standards when starting a thread or replying to an existing thread. Well, none of us are perfect, but making a conscious effort to give each other the benefit of the doubt when interpreting what someone wrote and turning the other cheek when you've been misinterpreted would be a good start.

My wish would be to reply to everyone as though we were sitting across from one another at a table - with mutual respect and open-mindedness, yet honesty for what constitutes a valid argument and what is hogwash. I don't see any reason we can't dissect a poster's statement without dissecting the poster.

This is probably asking too much on my part. HF doesn't have any kind of screening process to speak of, so just about anybody can join up and cause problems if they wish even if those here for the enjoyable discussion make a serious effort to raise the bar. I guess it is what it is, and we all need to take from it what we want.

-----------------------

Maybe fewer threads? The mods seem to do a pretty good job of merging threads when appropriate, so my suggestion is aimed more at the masses. Maybe we could look through the first page (at least) of the forum to see if a topic we want to start is already under discussion, and ask ourselves if our thoughts really warrant a new thread.

As for the upcoming madness of the trade deadline, I wonder if HF has any contingencies in place, such as reducing the number of posts a member can submit to something ridiculous (like one per hour). This board is unusable as a source of information before the deadline because of the overall volume of traffic, the number of mindless replies, or both.

BringBackStevens 02-21-2006 11:58 AM

personally i really hate the trade proposals as they are almost always completely unrealistic.
ie: how about marian gaborik for brian savage

i like to look at this board as a place to discuss games and it is also one of the best sources of information around for hockey, and i would rather keep the endless speculation out of it. but different strokes for different folks i guess

Synthetic 02-28-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gesthar
I have one all set up, but it's a few pages back and it needs updating, but it should work out well once I get to it.

Finally got it updated:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...48#post4735648

Broad st phantom 02-28-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylez19
personally i really hate the trade proposals as they are almost always completely unrealistic.
ie: how about marian gaborik for brian savage

i like to look at this board as a place to discuss games and it is also one of the best sources of information around for hockey, and i would rather keep the endless speculation out of it. but different strokes for different folks i guess

:clap: i second this