HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Theorize why the Canadiens are doing so well here. Post your superstitions here. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22303)

Brisebois 10-23-2003 06:36 PM

Theorize why the Canadiens are doing so well here. Post your superstitions here.
 
Well, the jinx is on me. We're going to start losing now. ;)

Seriously, did you guys notice the sign that's been posted under the Canadiens bench since the beginning of the season? 'Viagra'. Hmmmm... could that be why we're having such an uplifting start?

Quagmier 10-23-2003 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisebois
Well, the jinx is on me. We're going to start losing now. ;)

Seriously, did you guys notice the sign that's been posted under the Canadiens bench since the beginning of the season? 'Viagra'. Hmmmm... could that be why we're having such an uplifting start?

Actually that sign has been there for a while now, except now is the first time it isn't ironic

I'm thinking it just kicked in!

montreal 10-23-2003 07:30 PM

They are working harder, playing a lot at home, playing safe hockey, using good dump and chase with the lead, more balance in icetime (or so it seems), more physical play, team seems to stick up for one another so far, defense looks better-stopping opposing players from running Theo, the PP is working, and Theo looks much better and has great numbers so far.

Kerberos* 10-23-2003 07:40 PM

Because I haven't changed my underwear since the first game against Toronto?

RE-HABS 10-23-2003 07:47 PM

Because Julien got to make his own team from training camp and is implamenting his style and game plan.

Plus players like Chow and McKay were bought out and players like Ryder, Ward, Hainsey, Souray are all on the team and giving extra energy and more youth to the team.

Riberio has seemed to step up and is looking like the 2nd line centre we all thought he could be and the Habs always needed.

Bob Gainey has brought back a winning attitude and structure back to the Habs, and the players respect that and are totally buying into what Bob and Claude are telling them.

The biggest factor might be that Theo is regaining his 2001-02 form and he has a good back-up in Garon too.

You want to know what the best thing is...it is only going to get better, look at all the kids we have in the minors, junior, college and in Europe. Plus Saku is yet to play, that adds that much more in insperation, on ice leadership and offense.

The sky is surely the limit and the future is very, very bright indeed.

Habsolution 10-23-2003 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good, Nice And Warm
Because I haven't changed my underwear since the first game against Toronto?

Details we need not know :p

KOMO_ROCKS 10-23-2003 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
They are working harder, playing a lot at home, playing safe hockey, using good dump and chase with the lead, more balance in icetime (or so it seems), more physical play, team seems to stick up for one another so far, defense looks better-stopping opposing players from running Theo, the PP is working, and Theo looks much better and has great numbers so far.

said it all :handclap:

Habsolution 10-23-2003 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS

The biggest factor might be that Theo is regaining his 2001-02 form and he has a good back-up in Garon too.

I agree with all of your points but this one. Theo sure looks good but look what happened when the habs left him on his own against the sens. He got shelled. He sure is playing better than last year and his stats might even be better than in 01-02 (ok I may be pushing it) but I wouldn't even say he is like he was in 01-02. He was the ONLY reason why won games 2 seasons ago. Right now the reason why we are winning is because of the defenseman , the system, the players buying into it and playing as a team.

Before the season begin I said the key wasn't even Theo playing as he did in 01-02. I said he just needed to play better than last year. And I still believe that.

AK-47 10-24-2003 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolution
I agree with all of your points but this one. Theo sure looks good but look what happened when the habs left him on his own against the sens. He got shelled. He sure is playing better than last year and his stats might even be better than in 01-02 (ok I may be pushing it) but I wouldn't even say he is like he was in 01-02. He was the ONLY reason why won games 2 seasons ago. Right now the reason why we are winning is because of the defenseman , the system, the players buying into it and playing as a team.

Before the season begin I said the key wasn't even Theo playing as he did in 01-02. I said he just needed to play better than last year. And I still believe that.

Honestly, the team has played very good defensive hockey and limited a lot of the numerous scoring chances of the past. Thus, Théodore and Garon haven't had to steal a game so far.

Against the isles, most of the shots on goal had to be from the perimeter. Still, a few good chances, but nonetheless most of those théo should've and did stop.

Proffessor G DIDDY 10-24-2003 02:26 AM

The Habs are playing some great hockey playing great offense and defense with passion last season against the Bruins in 2002 playoffs. But really some individual deserve a lot of the credit.

First and foremost Bob Gainey has made this team younger, faster, more, aggressive and big enough to compete in the North east.

ON the ice there Mike Ribeiro's, I this kid has got all the weapons speed, shoting, passing and can play in all situations. Mike Ryder been playing powerforward brilliantly, somthing the habs have missed. Yanic Perreault, Dackell, Audette although playing against top lines have been dominating in all zones. Another factor is Sheldon Souray and Stephane Quintal are back, hard hitting d-men both missed good portions of last season. Andrei Markov doing a great job at all ends of the ice not mentioning the PP. Rivet and Brisebios playing the two-way game to perfection. Jose Theodore has chipped in with some great goaltending 2 SO's @ 95%, and 1.5 GPG. Got some great relief from Garon the other night.

Right now the Habs are one of the top 5 teams in the NHL.

Top Corner2 10-24-2003 03:15 AM

All the Idiots stopped booing Brisebois!!!!

HABracadabra 10-24-2003 03:37 AM

to explain the habs success, you don't need to theorize, you need to theodorize :yo:

Marksman 10-24-2003 03:40 AM

All that and great schedule mostly home games playing struggling teams. The real test is about to start with more road games and games versus Sens, Flyers and Bruins x2. Somehow I'm not too worried this year they actually play good defence this season.:rolleyes:

SwedenRulez 10-24-2003 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABracadabra
to explain the habs success, you don't need to theorize, you need to theodorize :yo:

:joker:

Yes, great performance from Théodore make everyone more confident, then the D-Men can contribute to the offense as the fowards contribute to the defense.

The Habs are working as a TEAM, that why they win.

Darz 10-24-2003 04:07 AM

Many reasons, imo, for the turn around. The biggest ones being:

-Claude Julien. The guy is a good coach. He has brought in the right system. He has done everything you could ask from a coach at this point in the season.

-Jose Theodore. His play is absolutely solid. I find it funny how he plays 5 straight solid games, and people still talk about the one game his teammates left him high and dry.

-The great defensive improvement. This might be the biggest of them all. Adding Souray and Hainsey/Boullion over Traverse & Dhykuis is a mojor +. Brisebois has elevated his game. The defenceman seem to be working in a system that suits them better than the Micheal Terrien 'run around like a chicken with you head cut off' system.

Gros Bill 10-24-2003 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
Many reasons, imo, for the turn around. The biggest ones being:

-Claude Julien. The guy is a good coach. He has brought in the right system. He has done everything you could ask from a coach at this point in the season.

-Jose Theodore. His play is absolutely solid. I find it funny how he plays 5 straight solid games, and people still talk about the one game his teammates left him high and dry.

-The great defensive improvement. This might be the biggest of them all. Adding Souray and Hainsey/Boullion over Traverse & Dhykuis is a mojor +. Brisebois has elevated his game. The defenceman seem to be working in a system that suits them better than the Micheal Terrien 'run around like a chicken with you head cut off' system.

That's the way I see it too, Darz. That, and my lucky sweater :p

BTW : when was the last time the Habs had 10 points after 7 games into the season ?

habfan4 10-24-2003 04:47 AM

Aside from the players who have stepped up (many pleasant surprises) and Julien's defence first system. I think Bob Gainey has this team playing with a sense of pride which has long been absent.

Let's hope they keep it up.

Masao 10-24-2003 05:06 AM

Theorize why the Canadiens are doing so well here.

Pun?

VAN-HAB 10-24-2003 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABracadabra
to explain the habs success, you don't need to theorize, you need to theodorize :yo:

like that!

StanleyCH25 10-24-2003 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
Many reasons, imo, for the turn around. The biggest ones being:

-Claude Julien. The guy is a good coach. He has brought in the right system. He has done everything you could ask from a coach at this point in the season.

-Jose Theodore. His play is absolutely solid. I find it funny how he plays 5 straight solid games, and people still talk about the one game his teammates left him high and dry.

-The great defensive improvement. This might be the biggest of them all. Adding Souray and Hainsey/Boullion over Traverse & Dhykuis is a mojor +. Brisebois has elevated his game. The defenceman seem to be working in a system that suits them better than the Micheal Terrien 'run around like a chicken with you head cut off' system.

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed


I alsot believe that one point that hasn't been mentionned much is Bob Gainey's statement to the fans. I don't know if it can be considered much of a turnaround but I feel that Gainey's reproach to the fans booing for no reason has also helped wake up all fans. The fans that boo seem to have quieted down and the fans who for some time now just sat quietly and watched on seem to have started to really cheer on the team which helps you play better when your on the ice and you feel all that crowd energy feeding you.

Brisebois 10-24-2003 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good, Nice And Warm
Because I haven't changed my underwear since the first game against Toronto?


Kerberos, is that you? :p

Habsolution 10-24-2003 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz

-Jose Theodore. His play is absolutely solid. I find it funny how he plays 5 straight solid games, and people still talk about the one game his teammates left him high and dry.

I dunno if I am of those "people" but I don't think Theo had to STEAL games so far. He sure has looked very solid. But I still believe he was something else in 01-02. He was just out of this world. The better goalie performance I've ever seen this side of a 93 playoffs Roy. His play this year is reminescent of 01-02 but not equal to it IMO.

What you say about people still talking about the Ottawa game is just an exemple of what I want to say. Theo won't carry the team to the playoffs like he did in 01-02. If the team lets up Theo's stats won't be much better than the Ottawa's game sample. He is still hands down much better than last season, more prepared and seems more focused. But I don't think he has been THE key so far. What has been the deciding factor is the way we play as a team. When we didn't do that (Ottawa) Theo didn't look good. That's the way I see it ...

Kerberos* 10-24-2003 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisebois
Kerberos, is that you? :p

Shht. I'm undercover :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.