HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Olympics: Amateurs or Pros? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=223814)

Balej20* 02-20-2006 08:33 PM

Olympics: Amateurs or Pros?

As we all know, this will be a hotly debated issue in the very near future..So what do you guys think? Should pros still be allowed to play or should we go back to amateurs? Of course I'm refering to ice hockey, the rest of the sports are already amateurs.

Edge 02-20-2006 08:39 PM

I voted for amateurs only because I am not keen on the idea of NHL players getting hurt in the tournament and costing their teams.

All the "tradition" and "miracle" stuff really doesn't matter to me on this issue.

I'm just not crazy about adding games to an already tough schedule and having the Olympics possibly dictate who makes the playoffs and how far they go as a result of fatigue and/or injuries.

Balej20* 02-20-2006 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
I voted for amateurs only because I am not keen on the idea of NHL players getting hurt in the tournament and costing their teams.

All the "tradition" and "miracle" stuff really doesn't matter to me on this issue.

I'm just not crazy about adding games to an already tough schedule and having the Olympics possibly dictate who makes the playoffs and how far they go as a result of fatigue and/or injuries.

I agree with all that.

Fletch 02-20-2006 08:48 PM

Amateurs...

for many reasons including some of these guys deserve that shot (who may not get an NHL shot), as well as breaking up the NHL season really isn't fair to us NHL fans, nor is it fair to the teammates and guys trying to make the NHL. And there are other reasons, but I'd love to see the college kids get the chance again.

007 02-20-2006 08:49 PM

I voted pros because I love this tournament. I love how it's about the best players in the world playing for something they really believe in. The World Cup just doesn't have the magic.

As a hockey fan, I'll take the risk every four years.

FLYLine24* 02-20-2006 08:51 PM

I like the Pros in it.

Choice 02-20-2006 08:55 PM

Went with amateurs because I don't love breaking in the middle of the season. I'm really enjoying this tourny, but has been said, you hate to see non-NHL related games costing teams in their quest for the cup.

I don't see anything wrong with having the World Cup be for the pros. That hockey is just as good.

romba 02-20-2006 08:56 PM

Wouldn't American born CHL players also play if it were only amateurs and not just College players?

Voted amateurs. Theres the whole issues of injuries and the 2 week hiatus. Plus, I like the NHL players playing but it'd be nice to give some guys who may not make millions nor get the chance to play for the cup, a chance to win an olympic medal.

shawn_kemp* 02-20-2006 08:57 PM

when did you last see amateurs? 1950?

Balej20* 02-20-2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn_kemp

hmm Remeber 1980?

romba 02-20-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn_kemp

Miracle on Ice? Lake placid? Ring a bell?

I think 98 was the first year of having pros.

Choice 02-20-2006 09:00 PM

How long till we get a March 2nd GDT?

romba 02-20-2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice

If someone starts one real early, they should spend the time to make it real nice. Gotta build anticipation for that game. Oh, and what does this have to do with the current thread?

Balej20* 02-20-2006 09:04 PM

Quote:

I honestly can't wait.

Choice 02-20-2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romba
If someone starts one real early, they should spend the time to make it real nice. Gotta build anticipation for that game. Oh, and what does this have to do with the current thread?

Y'know, just trying to make it through these two weeks

romba 02-20-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Y'know, just trying to make it through these two weeks

To think we actually made it through a year and a half without the NHL...

Turbo 02-20-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romba
Miracle on Ice? Lake placid? Ring a bell?

I think 98 was the first year of having pros.

Humm... that's if you don't count the so-called "amateurs" from the old USSR teams.

Although technically you're right, first year with NHL pros was 98. But I think pros were allowed before that, it's just that the NHL didn't release their players for the Olympic tournament during the season.

Balej20* 02-20-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo
Humm... that's if you don't count the so-called "amateurs" from the old USSR teams.

Although technically you're right, first year with NHL pros was 98. But I think pros were allowed before that, it's just that the NHL didn't release their players for the Olympic tournament during the season.

1984 was the first time "Pros" were allowed in the Olympics. I don't know when NHL players were allowed in.

zacn 02-20-2006 09:26 PM

Yeah, after holding my breath a few hours while awaiting word on Jagr, I think going back to amateur hockey makes a lot more sense. While I really do enjoy Olympic hockey with the pros, the timing is terrible in terms of the season, and don't think it is worth it. It's unfortunate since it is such a good stage for the rest of the country to see the sport and hopefully it will help bring hockey back to the point where a knicks game doesn't automatically get presedence on MSG over a Ranger game. Nevertheless, in the future, for the sake of the players and the teams in the NHL, let's let the amateur players get a shot. Afterall, how much fun would it have been watching Lundqvist play for team Sweden in the Olympics before most of us had ever gotten to see him play in America? Kind of exciting in my opinion.

Chimp 02-20-2006 09:52 PM

This is plain stupid. If you want to see amateurs play, it would mean that you would have to see guys in Sweden from the poor/worst 2nd division teams and 3rd division. We don't have College teams. It would be a tremendous, boring anticlimax.

I don't want to see my hockeyplaying friend who is a welder on the Olympics. I can watch him play in the old ice barn any day. If you want amateurs to play, we can just as well remove ice hockey from the Olympic program.

European players are practically GIVEN away to NHL for some effing $12,500 or something like that. That's coffee money. At least that was the old contract, with the new contract, European teams receive $12,500 and a brand new wine opener from Q-Mart. No wonder the Russian league rejected the new proposal, as it was STILL robbery.

European hockey fans don't have that much opportunity to watch anything from NHL and still our elite players are playing there. You can't let us see our own players 2 weeks every 4th year?

You say NHL players are injured in the Olympics and that's bad, I say our national players are injured in NHL. :sarcasm:

As long as you perhaps don't understand how important the national teams are in Europe, this is OUR Stanley Cup. So you NHL fans want the cake, the raisins and don't even let European fans lick the paper when you're finished.

If you kill the World Cup AND the Olympics, you're digging your grave in the longer perspective. As a hockey fan, I would right now say that my interest for hockey would lower dramatically.

In football, NO team is whining because their star player was injured in the World Championships (taking place every 4th year). And it's even more money involved in football than in hockey.

So... does hockey (with NHL as the clear dictator with the power) want to give hockey a chance to grow into a global sport, (with growing countries like Germany and Switzerland) or isolating America from Europe/Russia? To spread a sport, you need to show the best players.

RothmanHockey 02-20-2006 09:54 PM

The olympics are about the greatest players in a given sport trying to show that they are, in fact, the best.

Gotta have the best, and the best are the pros.

Jazz 02-20-2006 10:03 PM

How many threads do we need on this?

Ok, for those wanting Amateurs - please tell me where we find these amateurs? You want NCAA and university players....ok, but then what about Europe?? Read this sentence twice: Amatuer hockey no longer exists in Europe!

Also, EVERY other sport in both Olympics uses Pros, so why should hockey become the joke of the Olympics by being the only sport using amateurs???

Please - I have asked these questions in the other threads yet NOBODY from the 'amateur' side has answered them....

Seriously, this arguement was over 20 years ago... :shakehead

Choice 02-20-2006 10:04 PM

So I'm guessing europeans don't really get into the World Cup?

Chimp 02-20-2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz
Amatuer hockey no longer exists in Europe!

Well, it actually exists, but as I've said you would have to go so far down the divisions that you wouldn't know if you would :biglaugh: or :cry: if you would have to see them play in the Olympics. Let's just put it this way: my friend is far better at welding than he is at playing hockey. :sarcasm:

bmoak 02-20-2006 10:58 PM

This would be a good way to guarantee that the U.S. wins the gold medal every time, as we are the only nation that has a serious amateur program.

No player in the RSL, SEL, SM-Liga, Czech ExtraLiga, Slovak Extra-Liga, Swiss League, DEL, etc. would be eligible to play. Even every player on Team Latvia is a professional hockey player. I guess if you go down low enough in the Scandinavian Leagues, 3rd or 4th tier, they are considered amateurs. Not sure on the status of European juniors, but top junior-age players are already playing in the men's leagues long before they turn 20. Canada would be in almost as bad a situation. Remmeber, Major Juniors (OHL, WHL, QMJHL( is considered pro, which is why Junior players are inelgible for the NCAA. This would leave Junior A Players, Canadian Universities, and Senior Leagues for Team Canada.