HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The OFFICIAL Zidlicky/Kloucek Sporadic Post Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22463)

riz 10-18-2003 03:03 PM

Marek Zidlicky

For your enjoyment, I thought I'd setup a thread to follow Marek's season with the Preds. So if you don't want to listen to my rants about Zidlicky, keep away from this thread. And in return, I'll promise to keep my rants about him within this very thread ;)

So, story so far...3 games and 4 pts (2+2) for Marek. All points on have come on the powerplay. Marek has been playing with Dan Hamhuis on defense and has gotten some pretty good reviews in Nashville. Here's a recent article from Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/pre...nt_ID=41087472

I especially liked his comment about why he signed with Nashville but not with the Rangers:
''I saw more opportunities to play here than with the Rangers,'' he said. ''That's why I came.''

At the moment, fans of his old team HIFK Helsinki in Finland are literally wondering how they managed to keep the guy for the past three years on their team when he certainly looked to belong to the NHL. And they are openly thanking the Rangers for not signing him. They pretty much knew that he was going after his rights were acquired by Nashville.

I'm not tryin to downplay Dunhams performances with us and I'll openly admit that he has gotten us some much needed points with his saves. But still, I can't seem to figure out why did we overpay for Dunham ? The market for goaltenders hasn't exactly been sizzling and decent goalies have gone for bargain prices. Some Nashville fans would have agreed to straight swap of Murray for Dunham but oh no, we had to throw in two defensive prospects from our "deep farm system".

I'll try to follow Marek's season here but feel free to join in if you have something to say. Heck, beats following our defensive corps doesn't it ? :p

Edit: Another nice article about him:http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=27554

Vito Andolini 10-18-2003 04:46 PM

yea yea yea, but can he do the patented Poti poke check?? I think not.

barnaby63 10-18-2003 07:22 PM

since this is the official marek zidlicky thread i feel the need to say this...

WE DIDNT NEED HIM! you guys are crying over a small offensive defenseman, exactly the player we dont need. but oh no, anything to bash sather. also, you answered your own question, HE WOULDNT SIGN HERE!!!!

and dont get me going on kloucek, he was never the same after the injuries and he isnt even healthy this year and is in the AHL!

#37-#93-#27* 10-18-2003 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnaby63
since this is the official marek zidlicky thread i feel the need to say this...

WE DIDNT NEED HIM! you guys are crying over a small offensive defenseman, exactly the player we dont need. but oh no, anything to bash sather. also, you answered your own question, HE WOULDNT SIGN HERE!!!!

and dont get me going on kloucek, he was never the same after the injuries and he isnt even healthy this year and is in the AHL!

I see you're very well informed. :rolleyes:

Brooklyn Ranger 10-18-2003 08:53 PM

Have you seen our "defense" play? Are you aware that our "power" play is 0-19 and that if we had scored just two goals on the power play we'd be 2-2 right now?

No doubt the Devils wouldn't cry over losing Rafalski either--he's also a smallish, offensive defenseman. Came over from Finland and made quite a spash as I recall. Many people in Finland say that Zidlicky is better.

Yep, I definitely prefer watching the M&M brothers work their magic on the ice. Who needs someone young when you have them at the point!

Rangers_23 10-18-2003 08:56 PM

Woot! I picked up Marek in my hockey pool. Dropped Dickie Tarnstrom for him, hopefully it will pay off.

Quick comparison: Zidlicky = 5 points, Entire NY Rangers D = 2 points.

Yeah, we sure are better off without him. :rolleyes:

Barnaby 10-18-2003 09:53 PM

Oh well.... Id still rather have Dunham

ddheyman 10-19-2003 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangers_23
Woot! I picked up Marek in my hockey pool. Dropped Dickie Tarnstrom for him, hopefully it will pay off.

Quick comparison: Zidlicky = 5 points, Entire NY Rangers D = 2 points.

Yeah, we sure are better off without him. :rolleyes:

Marc Savard = 5 Points
Marius Czerkowski = 4 Points

Mike Modano = 3 Points

Following your logic, dallas should throw in a couple additional players on top of Mike Modano for either Savard or Marius.

Don't you think it is a little early (we have played 4 games) to judge whether or not we need Zidlicky?

And he didn't want to sign with us anyway, so in that case, he was only an asset worth trading not having unsigned.

And oh yeah, that trade hasn't benefited us at all, after all, Dunham has been awful and we should have instead traded a couple other players for Cujo and kept Zidlicky becuase in that case we'd be so better off.

It was a good trade for us, and apparently it may be a good trade for them. I hate Sather, but a least be objective.

Laches 10-19-2003 07:37 AM

I think riz's point is that while Dunham has no doubt been very good for us, Sather' grossly overpayed to get him. Teams have hardly been able to give goaltenders away the past few years. Dunham was playing horribly when we traded for him, Sather should have been able to get him for less.

Theoren Fan 10-19-2003 07:38 AM

:rolleyes:

klingsor 10-19-2003 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
:rolleyes:

So what?

It's not as if ANYTHING we discuss here has any effect on our team.

Plenty of us took grief when we suggested that Sather should have given Zidlicky the one-way contract he wanted to play here before he was traded. $500,000 is peanuts to this team. It was certainly worth the risk to see if he could play here.

Bacchus 10-19-2003 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laches
I think riz's point is that while Dunham has no doubt been very good for us, Sather' grossly overpayed to get him. Teams have hardly been able to give goaltenders away the past few years. Dunham was playing horribly when we traded for him, Sather should have been able to get him for less.

Yes, he overpaid for Dunham!
But does anybody think Zidlicky would have played just a single game for us? Even if he wanted to (and it seems that he didn't want) he would have never get a chance to play. Heck, even Tjutin doesn't play...

barnaby63 10-19-2003 10:28 AM

i find it amazing that everyone bashes tom poti on here for not hitting people and not using his body. guess what? ZIDLICKY DOES THE SAME THING BUT IS SMALLER! he cant handle bigger fowards like the roenicks and leclairs but yet you praise him and want poti traded.

the funny thing is, if sather didnt trade for dunham cause he wanted to keep zidlicky, and we got a hackett type of goaltender(crappy) and zidlicky never signed with us you would be *****ing and moaning that sather didnt get dunham when he had the chance. anything to bash sather i swear you people have an obsession.

#37-#93-#27* 10-19-2003 10:29 AM

Quote:

i find it amazing that everyone bashes tom poti on here for not hitting people and not using his body. guess what? ZIDLICKY DOES THE SAME THING BUT IS SMALLER! he cant handle bigger fowards like the roenicks and leclairs but yet you praise him and want poti traded.

the funny thing is, if sather didnt trade for dunham cause he wanted to keep zidlicky, and we got a hackett type of goaltender(crappy) and zidlicky never signed with us you would be *****ing and moaning that sather didnt get dunham when he had the chance. anything to bash sather i swear you people have an obsession.

So how many times have you seen Zidlicky play, I'm guessing never.

Rangers_23 10-19-2003 11:30 AM

I know it's early, but I'd much rather have Zidlicky than Malakhov, Poti, and Mironov.

Also, I love what Dunham has done here, but honestly Sather paid WAY too much for him. If Kloucek can ever overcome the injuries and become an NHL 5-6 dman, that trade goes from bad to horrible.

barnaby63 10-19-2003 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangers_23
I know it's early, but I'd much rather have Zidlicky than Malakhov, Poti, and Mironov.

Also, I love what Dunham has done here, but honestly Sather paid WAY too much for him. If Kloucek can ever overcome the injuries and become an NHL 5-6 dman, that trade goes from bad to horrible.

how is this a bad trade? we traded a 3rd/4th liner, a injury prone defenseman and another defenseman that wouldnt sign here for a number 1 goalie. enlighten me to your thinking about this.

barnaby63 10-19-2003 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
So how many times have you seen Zidlicky play, I'm guessing never.

what does that have to do with anything? i read the same scouting reports you do and i have actually seen him play 3-4 times.

but i guess you have followed his euro league career extensivly, right?

#37-#93-#27* 10-19-2003 12:41 PM

Quote:

how is this a bad trade? we traded a 3rd/4th liner, a injury prone defenseman and another defenseman that wouldnt sign here for a number 1 goalie. enlighten me to your thinking about this.

Wow very objective.

That third/fourth liner would've been our best penalty killer and was a solid player all around.. no not great but something of value

The injury proned defenseman is a prospect that is now playing in the NHL and has the potential to be a legitament top 4.

As someone corrected me a while, Zidlicky didn't sign here because he never wanted to, the Rangers just wouldn't offer him a one way contract. He too is a player who has potential to be a top 4 defenseman.

Starting goaltenders in general are not valued very much because the market is so big. The fact that Mike Dunham was in Nashville's doghouse and having a terrible season up until the trade should have brought down his value even more. Rangers gave up as if they were trading for a bonafide top goaltender, at the time Mike Dunham was not that.

#37-#93-#27* 10-19-2003 12:42 PM

Quote:

what does that have to do with anything? i read the same scouting reports you do and i have actually seen him play 3-4 times.

but i guess you have followed his euro league career extensivly, right?

It has everything to do with everything. I was talking about his first 4 games in Nashville.

How can you have any opinion when you've never even seen him play? I saw him in his first game and he looked very good all around and made a fantastic play on the powerplay, it's all the more impressive when you consider it was his first game in the NHL.

You lose all credability imo.

Radulov for Czar* 10-19-2003 12:56 PM

To whomever said Zidlicky dosn't play the body, can't handle bigger forwards, etc.. I challenge you to watch one of Nashville's games this season. Once again I must thank you for giving us Murray, Kloucek, and Zidlicky for out #2 goalie. Zidlicky should make the all-star game this season, should he continue his stellar play. As of now, he leads the Predators in points, as well as being tied for 3rd in NHL defensemen points.

#37-#93-#27* 10-19-2003 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesey
To whomever said Zidlicky dosn't play the body, can't handle bigger forwards, etc.. I challenge you to watch one of Nashville's games this season. Once again I must thank you for giving us Murray, Kloucek, and Zidlicky for out #2 goalie. Zidlicky should make the all-star game this season, should he continue his stellar play. As of now, he leads the Predators in points, as well as being tied for 3rd in NHL defensemen points.

Thanks for rubbing it in, we're just fans remember? :cry: :cry:

I hate Sather.

#37-#93-#27* 10-19-2003 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shapa999
Just curious are you PLD?

Nope, everyone thinks I'm someone else. :dunno:

Son of Steinbrenner 10-19-2003 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Nope, everyone thinks I'm someone else. :dunno:

hey guys lets be serious you need to trade value to get value in return. not every trade is going to be a steal. here is a trade that has worked out for both teams. the rangers didnt overpay or underpay.

#37-#93-#27* 10-19-2003 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jar jar links
hey guys lets be serious you need to trade value to get value in return. not every trade is going to be a steal. here is a trade that has worked out for both teams. the rangers didnt overpay or underpay.

I suppose you're right but this is the typical "Ranger trade" which makes it frustrating. Two good prospects that we can use now are gone.

#37-#93-#27* 10-20-2003 12:48 PM

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...threadid=20614