HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Jessiman (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=225126)

FLYLine24 02-25-2006 09:13 PM

Jessiman

Its great to see Jessiman finally back on the right path into developing into hopefully a great player.

Since returning to Hartford hes recorded 11 points in 17 games, he is hitting everything that moves, wins almost every battle along the boards with his size and now is starting to improve on other things. He's also starting to shoot the puck more, his first 9 games pack he only registered 14 shots, but his past 8 games hes hit the net 25 times.

We all knew his attitude was the best thing he had going for him, if any player could battle back from injuries and a year off it would be Hugh. I am really glad he is finding his place and hope he continues on the road to developing into a good NHLer someday.

Keep it up Hugh!

jas 02-25-2006 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Its great to see Jessiman finally back on the right path into developing into hopefully a great player.

Since returning to Hartford hes recorded 11 points in 17 games, he is hitting everything that moves, wins almost every battle along the boards with his size and now is starting to improve on other things. He's also starting to shoot the puck more, his first 9 games pack he only registered 14 shots, but his past 8 games hes hit the net 25 times.

We all knew his attitude was the best thing he had going for him, if any player could battle back from injuries and a year off it would be Hugh. I am really glad he is finding his place and hope he continues on the road to developing into a good NHLer someday.

Keep it up Hugh!

I have long held the belief that Hugh is going to take longer than most of his draft class to be successful. There is no Ranger prospect that I want to see succeed more than him, simply because if he was ever able to become the player the Rangers were hoping for when they drafted him, he could be a beast.

E-Train 02-25-2006 09:50 PM

It's great to hear about the improved play. I want to see Hugh keep up this pace to the end of the year and hopefully have a full, solid season with the 'Pack next year.

ATLANTARANGER* 02-25-2006 09:53 PM

Not to make excuses, more like valid reasons,

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88

Keep it up Hugh!

Going into drafting Hugh the organization knew he was a project, then he got hurt after what I thought was a bad choice by him to go back to school. I thought he had trained and worked himself into turning pro and somehow got talked into or pressured to return to school. His losing that year was a big setback for his development. What I have noticed the most about him is his consciencious effort to play well in his own end. I think his skating and balance have improved quite a bit this year as well. Both I thought were issues. So it is good to see him working on the 3 areas that I thought he needed to work on, skatng, balance and defensive play.

eco's bones 02-26-2006 03:35 PM

He's got a good attitude. He wants to be a Ranger and is willing to work. Going to Charlotte turned his season around and he didn't seem to sulk at all. He's not ready for the big time yet but since that move he does seem to be playing better and better. His confidence has risen since he returned to Hartford. I would say that Falardeau seems to be doing pretty well now also.

DarthSather99 02-26-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Going into drafting Hugh the organization knew he was a project, then he got hurt after what I thought was a bad choice by him to go back to school. I thought he had trained and worked himself into turning pro and somehow got talked into or pressured to return to school. His losing that year was a big setback for his development. What I have noticed the most about him is his consciencious effort to play well in his own end. I think his skating and balance have improved quite a bit this year as well. Both I thought were issues. So it is good to see him working on the 3 areas that I thought he needed to work on, skatng, balance and defensive play.

I disagree, Jessiman should have played one more year in college. He showed that he wasn't ready early but his hard work has made him an average AHL player which is GREAT. I'd like to see him dominate a bit more next year in the AHL. I say maybe two more years in the AHL for Jessiman. Be patient. This is the one prospect in the organization that if he puts it all together he can be unstoppable. He definetly has the SKILLS and WORK ETHIC so I don't see how he will not be an NHL player. The question is how good will he be?

DutchShamrock 02-26-2006 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas
I have long held the belief that Hugh is going to take longer than most of his draft class to be successful. There is no Ranger prospect that I want to see succeed more than him, simply because if he was ever able to become the player the Rangers were hoping for when they drafted him, he could be a beast.

Big men/power forwards take longer to develop. There are more aspects to their game. See Bertuzzi.

ATLANTARANGER* 02-26-2006 07:54 PM

I tend to disagree and here's why;

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthSather99
I disagree, Jessiman should have played one more year in college. He showed that he wasn't ready early but his hard work has made him an average AHL player which is GREAT. I'd like to see him dominate a bit more next year in the AHL. I say maybe two more years in the AHL for Jessiman. Be patient. This is the one prospect in the organization that if he puts it all together he can be unstoppable. He definetly has the SKILLS and WORK ETHIC so I don't see how he will not be an NHL player. The question is how good will he be?

I firmly believe that the year he got hurt he had geared himself up to make the jump. He worked his butt off and though I have no first hand info, I think he got pressured by his coach and teammates to return. Before he got hurt I thought he looked like he really wasn't into it. Very similar to Montoya that same year. We do agree about one thing, we have to be patient with him.

Pizza 02-26-2006 11:53 PM

I can remember the first time Nick Fotiu stepped onto the ice for the Rangers. It was an incredible thing for me to see a native New Yorker from Staten Island wearing the Ranger sweater. It will be the same thing with Jessiman. I'd settle for him just being a solid, hard working, two way role player who puts up decent numbers. I think if he can do that, the passion he has to play for this team will create some very special moments for all of us.

Draft Guru 02-27-2006 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pizza
I can remember the first time Nick Fotiu stepped onto the ice for the Rangers. It was an incredible thing for me to see a native New Yorker from Staten Island wearing the Ranger sweater. It will be the same thing with Jessiman. I'd settle for him just being a solid, hard working, two way role player who puts up decent numbers. I think if he can do that, the passion he has to play for this team will create some very special moments for all of us.

Well, Jessiman's not a New Yorker. He's from Darien, Conneticut. He's a life-long NYR fan though, and was at the game 7 in 1994 against the Devils from what I have read. He's definitely a die-hard fan, but not a "New Yorker".

Fish 02-27-2006 07:01 AM

To be honest, in the two games I've seen him play since coming back, he's better than he was before...but is still a long way from being an NHLer. And while power forwards may take longer, there is also a large number that never make it.

Jessiman's still seems to be half a step behind the game, and his shot isn't exactly one that drives fear into the opponent's netminders. He has picked up his physical play, but he doesn't have that edge you look for in a prototypical power forward.

I'm hoping he pans out...but at this stage I have serious doubts as to whether he'll ever be an NHL regular, let alone a 20 goal scorer.

Ola 02-27-2006 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish
Jessiman's still seems to be half a step behind the game, and his shot isn't exactly one that drives fear into the opponent's netminders. He has picked up his physical play, but he doesn't have that edge you look for in a prototypical power forward.

Thats probably his biggest weakness right now. But I am not so worried about that, in the end its only about him getting stronger mentally and making up his mind. Id actually be more worried about it if Jessiman on his skills alone could have made it to the NHL. Lundmark for example probably felt that he could make it as a skilled player and never developted the right mentality. But Jessiman won't have that option.

pld459666 02-27-2006 07:51 AM

I'm starting to see a comparisson

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish
To be honest, in the two games I've seen him play since coming back, he's better than he was before...but is still a long way from being an NHLer. And while power forwards may take longer, there is also a large number that never make it.

I'm hoping he pans out...but at this stage I have serious doubts as to whether he'll ever be an NHL regular, let alone a 20 goal scorer.

to Jason Ward in Hugh Jessiman, but the problem is that even Jason scored alot of points in the minors.

not expecting him to light the AHL up per se, but I honestly did expect a few more goals out of him both in the AHL and especially in the ECHL.

At this point I'm going to forget all about him and hope the Rangers don't trade him and what ever happens happens regarding his developement.

True Blue 02-27-2006 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pizza
I'd settle for him just being a solid, hard working, two way role player who puts up decent numbers. I think if he can do that, the passion he has to play for this team will create some very special moments for all of us.

In a draft that was as deep and good as the draft when he was taken, if Jessiman is nothing but a 3rd line role player (something this organization has in spades), then it would be a severe disappointment. The sting from that will be felt for years.

Ola 02-27-2006 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666
to Jason Ward in Hugh Jessiman, but the problem is that even Jason scored alot of points in the minors.

not expecting him to light the AHL up per se, but I honestly did expect a few more goals out of him both in the AHL and especially in the ECHL.

At this point I'm going to forget all about him and hope the Rangers don't trade him and what ever happens happens regarding his developement.

Good point, but still it isn't Wards or for that matter Ortmayers finnishing skills who have taken them to the NHL. Would Freddy Modin in Tampa light it up in the AHL? I am not so sure.

The hardest part in making it to the NHL is handle the puck and stay with the flow with the best of them. Its not speed or one-on-one stickhandling skills, if that where the case Joey Balej would be a star. Jessiman have the size to seperate himself from other players in the NHL. He have the hands to handle the puck and the natural agility to move at this level. He must develop much faster feets and a killer instinct to take the step to the NHL. But I don't think thats impossible. For someone with a bad stride it can be impossible to become faster. But Jessiman have a very good stride + very good hand eye coordination.

Ola 02-27-2006 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
In a draft that was as deep and good as the draft when he was taken, if Jessiman is nothing but a 3rd line role player (something this organization has in spades), then it would be a severe disappointment. The sting from that will be felt for years.

The jury is still out on almost every player drafted after him in the draft. I think Hugh will be a 2nd line player or bust/moved. A 2nd line player, his size, with 40 point potential is not bad.

Levitate 02-27-2006 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola
The jury is still out on almost every player drafted after him in the draft. I think Hugh will be a 2nd line player or bust/moved. A 2nd line player, his size, with 40 point potential is not bad.

if he's a second liner, i hope he can score more than 40 points. i expect 60+ from second liners for the most part

True Blue 02-27-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola

If he is a second line player, then the draft worked out fine. However, if he is to be a second line player, then you may want to adjust your point totals by 10 (upwards).
However, if he becomes another version of Jason Ward, then much like Ward is a bust and a disappointment to the Habs organization, so too will Hugh be for the Rangers.

Pizza 02-27-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Well, Jessiman's not a New Yorker. He's from Darien, Conneticut. He's a life-long NYR fan though, and was at the game 7 in 1994 against the Devils from what I have read. He's definitely a die-hard fan, but not a "New Yorker".

From what I've read Hugh was born in NYC. For confirmation I went to the website for a look. Birth place: NYC. Just relaying what I read.

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/p...p?playerid=264

McRanger 02-27-2006 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
If he is a second line player, then the draft worked out fine. However, if he is to be a second line player, then you may want to adjust your point totals by 10 (upwards).
However, if he becomes another version of Jason Ward, then much like Ward is a bust and a disappointment to the Habs organization, so too will Hugh be for the Rangers.

A bust and a dissapointment yes, but like Manny before him, he may yet turn into a servicable player bottom six player who can do alot for a team.

RangerFan_48 02-27-2006 11:49 AM

Or we could wait and see how long it take the Rangers to break him too.

True Blue 02-27-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McRanger
A bust and a dissapointment yes, but like Manny before him, he may yet turn into a servicable player bottom six player who can do alot for a team.

Absolutely. However from our vantage point, it will be a huge disappointment.

xander 02-27-2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Guru

He's not a New Yorker in the sense that he's not from the city, but how many hockey players have ever come out of New York City proper?
When you look at the area around the city I think you have to include everything within an hour and a half to two hour radius (pretty much anywhere that you can find comuter rail into the city), because the economies of all those suberbs are so strongly tied to the city. Those towns exist (or atleast exist in they're current affluence) because of the money brought into the local economy by daily commuters who live there but make they're living in New York City. The suburbs are not the city but they live off city money and they have a New York mindset (and, of course, they root for New York City teams.) Thus I would consider Hugh a New Yorker in the sense that he was brought up in the shadow (and under the cultural pull) of the city.

nrf83 02-27-2006 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xander
He's not a New Yorker in the sense that he's not from the city, but how many hockey players have ever come out of New York City proper?
When you look at the area around the city I think you have to include everything within an hour and a half to two hour radius (pretty much anywhere that you can find comuter rail into the city), because the economies of all those suberbs are so strongly tied to the city. Those towns exist (or atleast exist in they're current affluence) because of the money brought into the local economy by daily commuters who live there but make they're living in New York City. The suburbs are not the city but they live off city money and they have a New York mindset (and, of course, they root for New York City teams.) Thus I would consider Hugh a New Yorker in the sense that he was brought up in the shadow (and under the cultural pull) of the city.

Nick Fotiu, Joe and Pat Mullen, and I believe Matthieu Schneider was also born here.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-27-2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrf83
Nick Fotiu, Joe and Pat Mullen, and I believe Matthieu Schneider was also born here.

Brian Mullen.