HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Minor hockey parents. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=225251)

BCCHL inactive 02-26-2006 08:35 PM

Minor hockey parents.
 
It's like banging your head against a brick wall ranting about hockey parents. They just don't get the message.

That said, I'm still ranting, because I can.

I lined a Major Midget game this morning. The visiting team heading into the playoffs, the home team playing its last game of the season. Typically, the home team didn't have much interest in playing hockey, despite keeping it close and losing 6-5.

During the 2nd period, one home player decides he can use about a dozen f-bombs to let the referee know his feelings on his 2-minute minor. Naturally, that earned him an extra 10. As I'm getting a player to serve the minor, he still won't shutup. The 76th f-bomb (obvious exaggeration) got him a well-earned Game Misconduct.

That would have been the end of it. The home team's coaches didn't even say anything about it. However, the timekeeper happened to be the player's dad. He got his 2 cents in as the ref reported the penalty, got told to keep his mouth shut, and play resumed. At the end of the 2nd, he didn't keep his mouth shut and got told not to come back. Well, he tried to come back. We brought our own timekeeper (a fellow official) with us out for the third. My partner and I had to step between this guy and the referee as he took his sweet *** time leaving the ice.

I know the guy personally. I played minor hockey with his oldest son since I was 6 years old. I've never seen that kind of stupidity in him before. Needless to say, he lost a lot of respect points today, especially as he continued to tell the referee how he "f***s up every game he does" as we left the ice after the game. The game report will mention his actions, and the fact that there was no security provided by the local MHA, like they're supposed to...even though it's always just some local parent with a different coloured jacket on.

The next games I work will likely be BCAHA Bantam AAA Provincials, where the powers that be can witness everything that goes on.

It's apalling at how a parent can hold an official personally responsible for his son cussing like a trucker after he broke the rules of the game.

We've known forever that some parents are just that stupid. Does anybody know of any situation where such a parent has been made an example of? IE: Permanently banned from attending minor hockey games? If not, it's time something like that happened. It would be to say to all parents, "If you act like this, that is what will happen to you."

NYR94 02-26-2006 10:30 PM

This guy was the timekeeper for a game his kid was playing in? Sounds like a conflict of interests to me. Bad job by the league for allowing this to happen. Even though the time keepers ability to alter the outcome of a game is small compared to that of a referee or linesman, it still sounds fishy to me.

That being said, parents should be forced to sign an agreement when they sign their kids up to play in a league. Just a contract that says that they agree to follow certain rules of conduct regarding their behavior in the stands when they attend games or in this case when they're working as a timekeeper. Make them really clear and strict-you can't curse, act violently, etc. when you're at your kid's game. And if you do, you're getting thrown out.

EazyB97 02-26-2006 10:33 PM

It's really sad to see that it's in everyone in hockey. I've played, coached, reffed, and time kept, and it's a few bad apples who spoil it for everyone. I think the Parents take the brunt of the heat because they're are always at least twice as many fans as there are players, but it's really everywhere. I see the time-keepers beak off on occasion. Obviously see parent's and players go on rants as well. Recently we've had a few officials egg us on as coaches behind the bench as well. Coaches are to blame for portions as well. At the end of the day, EVERYONE should be held responsible for their own actions and it's a shame to see it didn't happen here. I really wish there was an impartial person at every game, who could be aware of everything that went on and have some control on suspensions, whether it be coaches, players, keepers, or referees.

FLYLine24* 02-26-2006 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van
It's like banging your head against a brick wall ranting about hockey parents. They just don't get the message.

That said, I'm still ranting, because I can.

I lined a Major Midget game this morning. The visiting team heading into the playoffs, the home team playing its last game of the season. Typically, the home team didn't have much interest in playing hockey, despite keeping it close and losing 6-5.

During the 2nd period, one home player decides he can use about a dozen f-bombs to let the referee know his feelings on his 2-minute minor. Naturally, that earned him an extra 10. As I'm getting a player to serve the minor, he still won't shutup. The 76th f-bomb (obvious exaggeration) got him a well-earned Game Misconduct.

That would have been the end of it. The home team's coaches didn't even say anything about it. However, the timekeeper happened to be the player's dad. He got his 2 cents in as the ref reported the penalty, got told to keep his mouth shut, and play resumed. At the end of the 2nd, he didn't keep his mouth shut and got told not to come back. Well, he tried to come back. We brought our own timekeeper (a fellow official) with us out for the third. My partner and I had to step between this guy and the referee as he took his sweet *** time leaving the ice.

I know the guy personally. I played minor hockey with his oldest son since I was 6 years old. I've never seen that kind of stupidity in him before. Needless to say, he lost a lot of respect points today, especially as he continued to tell the referee how he "f***s up every game he does" as we left the ice after the game. The game report will mention his actions, and the fact that there was no security provided by the local MHA, like they're supposed to...even though it's always just some local parent with a different coloured jacket on.

The next games I work will likely be BCAHA Bantam AAA Provincials, where the powers that be can witness everything that goes on.

It's apalling at how a parent can hold an official personally responsible for his son cussing like a trucker after he broke the rules of the game.

We've known forever that some parents are just that stupid. Does anybody know of any situation where such a parent has been made an example of? IE: Permanently banned from attending minor hockey games? If not, it's time something like that happened. It would be to say to all parents, "If you act like this, that is what will happen to you."

I hear ya man, heres another funny story (though not as bad as yours)


Today im working the line in a championship Bantam game and im standing on the line as play is inside the zone, all of a sudden this parent starts yelling at me...."WHY DONT YOU CALL A PENALTY ALREADY!!!" Ok, note that i am the lineman and I can't call penalties (cept for on the rare occasions which we wont get into). The man continues to yell at me every 5 seconds telling me I have no control over the game and I should go back to reffing school. Im just ignoring him obviously but what a moron this guy is. Does he not realize the ref with the orange arm bands on? Does he not know anything about hockey? :banghead:


BTW for the entire 3rd period he continued to give me dirty looks. In the corner of my eye after a big hit (which he thinks is a penalty) I could see him he looking at me and he starts to shake is head because I didnt call it.

BCCHL inactive 02-27-2006 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR94
This guy was the timekeeper for a game his kid was playing in? Sounds like a conflict of interests to me. Bad job by the league for allowing this to happen. Even though the time keepers ability to alter the outcome of a game is small compared to that of a referee or linesman, it still sounds fishy to me.

It's minor hockey. There are nobody but parents who can do the job because they're the only ones around the rink while the games are going on. If not for the luck of having one of our fellow officials watching the game, we would have gassed one parent only to get another. It's always been that way. Nothing fishy about it, it just has potential for incidents like today's. I've been suggesting that the younger up-and-coming referees get paid a small fee to timekeep, scorekeep and run the penalty boxes for all rep hockey, but the local minor hockey association has basically laughed at that suggestion. They're just too cheap.


Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR94
That being said, parents should be forced to sign an agreement when they sign their kids up to play in a league. Just a contract that says that they agree to follow certain rules of conduct regarding their behavior in the stands when they attend games or in this case when they're working as a timekeeper. Make them really clear and strict-you can't curse, act violently, etc. when you're at your kid's game. And if you do, you're getting thrown out.

They do sign such a form, and when things like this happen, nothing is done about it. That's how much of a joke minor hockey has become.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Today im working the line in a championship Bantam game and im standing on the line as play is inside the zone, all of a sudden this parent starts yelling at me...."WHY DONT YOU CALL A PENALTY ALREADY!!!" Ok, note that i am the lineman and I can't call penalties (cept for on the rare occasions which we wont get into). The man continues to yell at me every 5 seconds telling me I have no control over the game and I should go back to reffing school. Im just ignoring him obviously but what a moron this guy is. Does he not realize the ref with the orange arm bands on? Does he not know anything about hockey? :banghead:

Today's game was such a gong show as far as whining and crying went that is was funny. As the ever-so-original three blind mice calls were shouted off and on, I was standing with the ref during a stoppage and said, "What the ******* is wrong with them? Three blind mice? If anyone is blind, it's you." That brought out a good laugh. (For you hockey parents out there who don't understand that, when there are three officials on the ice, only ONE calls penalties. If by chance you're thinking about offsides and icings, nobody complained about that in my game today, so shutup.)

BCCHL inactive 02-27-2006 09:04 PM

lmfao. The kid who got the Game Misconduct was scheduled to model clothes from my store at his high school's fashion show next week. I got a phone call today saying he didn't want to do it anymore. Gee, I wonder why.

I was the friggin linesman. Was he that insulted that I escorted him out the gate? :biglaugh:

dabid 02-28-2006 03:16 AM

Modeling clothes? That isn't manly in the least bit!

NJDevs430 02-28-2006 08:15 AM

Who's the team manager, Joe McGrath?
Look at it this way...at least he didn't threaten to flash the audience.
<(-:**
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88
BTW for the entire 3rd period he continued to give me dirty looks. In the corner of my eye after a big hit (which he thinks is a penalty) I could see him he looking at me and he starts to shake is head because I didnt call it.

Times like that make me glad I lost my peripheral vision in my right eye.

technophile 02-28-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR94
That being said, parents should be forced to sign an agreement when they sign their kids up to play in a league. Just a contract that says that they agree to follow certain rules of conduct regarding their behavior in the stands when they attend games or in this case when they're working as a timekeeper. Make them really clear and strict-you can't curse, act violently, etc. when you're at your kid's game. And if you do, you're getting thrown out.

Heck, our adult league has those rules (both in the player agreement and posted on big signs all over the rink for both players and spectators).

People are ridiculous. In that situation I'd have been grounding the kid, not yelling at the ref.

RangersMoogle 02-28-2006 11:23 AM

I like the story about the guy yelling at the Linesman. That's funny ****. But yeah, kids these days. Jeez, if you have to swear at a game go do it on the bench with your team. Where I play there's usually a good amount of young kids watching the game, so swearing out loud at the refs, or anyone is really frowned upon.

acr* 02-28-2006 05:49 PM

Yeah, hockey parents are friggin idiots.

About a month or two ago I was scorekeeping, and a couple parents were in the booth too for some reason(total control freaks). Anyway, this one guy was screaming at the kids on his kid's team the whole way, even swearing with stuff like this-

YOU'RE SKATING LIKE ****! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? JESUS CHRIST! KEEP YOUR ****ING HEAD IN THE GAME!

Then later in the game a kid on the other team got a penalty, didn't like it, and dropped an F-Bomb in the box. That same parent then yelled over to him with "Hey! If you were my kid, I'd wash your mouth out with soap!"

Gee...I wonder where the kid learned words like that in those situations? :shakehead:

sandman441 02-28-2006 09:04 PM

Up here we had this happen. It's sad and the bad thing is that I know of one other time something similar happened. A parent walked into the referees locker room and started beating the crap out of him. The ref I believe was 16 or 17.



I can't find an article right now but apparently this guy got mad at a referee and went on the ice and they fought. The ref was 17 I don't know the other guys age but he ended up breaking the refs arm. It's getting bad why can't people just sit back and watch their kids play.

BCCHL inactive 03-01-2006 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandman441
Up here we had this happen. It's sad and the bad thing is that I know of one other time something similar happened. A parent walked into the referees locker room and started beating the crap out of him. The ref I believe was 16 or 17.



I can't find an article right now but apparently this guy got mad at a referee and went on the ice and they fought. The ref was 17 I don't know the other guys age but he ended up breaking the refs arm. It's getting bad why can't people just sit back and watch their kids play.

That guy should have his child(ren) taken away and he should be thrown in jail.

As far as I see it, people in the stands can yell at me, accuse me of everything under the sun, hell, maybe even throw things at me (as long as they're not throwing tire irons or something like that). It's not like it affects how I do my job on the ice and given my near-decade experience, it doesn't affect me personally either.... but if somebody ever steps onto my turf (I guess I should say ice), he is in for a world of hurt if he actually makes it to where I am.

RangersMoogle 03-01-2006 11:58 AM

Man, I play at a really tame rink. There's never any drama, no spats, it's not often someone *****es at the ref, and when they do have something wrong with the ref, the player usually gives the ref a "Dude, what the f?" look. Sometimes it's accompanied with dialouge, but it's never anything too harsh, and that's the end of it. I've never seen one of the parents get involved during a game, guess my rink's lucky.

Clint 03-01-2006 07:41 PM

Kind of off-topic, but since we're discussing drama with time keepers, what the heck.

About a year ago I was making a few extra bucks at a rink in So. Fla. as a time-keeper for the summer. I'm not sure how standard it is at rinks around the country, but usually when a player is assessed 3 minor penalties in one game, he gets tossed. It was part of my job to tell the on-ice officials if a player had just reached his 3rd penalty, and the ref would tell the guy to head to the locker room.

Well this happened a few times without any real problems to speak of. No one really started any drama past the standard, "oh come on, ref. aww shucks!"

This one time, late in the season this "hot-shot" former Junior A player was filling in for one of the teams that was shorthanded for a game. It just so happens that one of his team mates was assessed 3 minors and I called the ref over to let him know. All of a sudden, Mr. Hot-Shot is getting in my face as if I had done something wrong, swearing and talking down at me for informing the ref that his team mate had reached 3 minors. It started to get pretty out of hand and he eventually was kicked out of the game too. On his way out he was making a ruckus that he was gonna see us in the parking lot.

Who goes after a time-keeper? Honestly!

BCCHL inactive 03-01-2006 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint
On his way out he was making a ruckus that he was gonna see us in the parking lot.

I was reffing beer league last season, and a player pulled that with me after getting tossed for slashing my partner. He wasn't trying to hurt him, just making an example of what he thought should have been called against an opponent... but he still slashed my partner.

He got 5 games for the slash and 5 games for the parking lot bull****.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.