HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   This should show you were nitty stands (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=225453)

bodangleroo28 02-27-2006 02:29 PM

This should show you were nitty stands

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...chive/2459.asp

Roger's Pancreas* 02-27-2006 02:39 PM

Highlight of the entire article.....Handzus will not be playing the first two games back.

TheKingPin 02-27-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Highlight of the entire article.....Handzus will not be playing the first two games back.

Yeah i was going to say the same thing
Probably a good thing. Get him healthy and we should be good. KJ still not being close to start excersing is not good however. He's had close to a month to get better and that has not happened...that is very disconcerting.

sansan 02-27-2006 03:02 PM

Heh. Reading the article you would think that Niitty has never played in the NHL before. Good job by Hitch of curbing the hype. Lack of progress for Kim Johnsson is concerning. Clarke should be looking into getting a replacement before the trade deadline.

Lupul* 02-27-2006 03:04 PM

Not Handzus!

I never thought I'd see him miss a game. :(

phlacheesesteak 02-27-2006 03:07 PM

Im thinking Esche to start against the Devs

then Nitty gets the start the next day againstthe NYR

TheKingPin 02-27-2006 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfphillystyle
Im thinking Esche to start against the Devs

then Nitty gets the start the next day againstthe NYR

agreed

HoverCarle* 02-27-2006 03:15 PM

does hitch forget that he pulled esche in his last game and that nitty saved it from being a blowout?

Ex Storm 02-27-2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft
does hitch forget that he pulled esche in his last game and that nitty saved it from being a blowout?

Maybe he doesn't forget their NHL records as of late, Esche 4-4, Nitty 1-7. Maybe he also doesn't forget that the two most embarassing losses of the year (and in recent memory) came when Nitty was in net, 6-0 and 5-0 to TB and Montreal.

HoverCarle* 02-27-2006 03:32 PM

ive noticed that nitty plays better when his teams gets a quick lead. once hes diown by a few goals he seems to lose confidence.

goodrev 02-27-2006 03:52 PM

hitchcock drives me nuts... nitty deserves to start and i can understand not going out and saying he is the starter, because that would be dumb i would think he would give a little more support to his preformance other than "its a different game over there". When one of your players does a phenominal job at something you dont want them to think it was nothing, you want them to gain confidence from it... sometimes i just dont understand him

Broad st phantom 02-27-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime
Maybe he doesn't forget their NHL records as of late, Esche 4-4, Nitty 1-7. Maybe he also doesn't forget that the two most embarassing losses of the year (and in recent memory) came when Nitty was in net, 6-0 and 5-0 to TB and Montreal.

u cant blame the shut out on nitty, yeah he gave up those goals, the D wasnt to bright those games either and the offense had a circle jerk going on in the corner

phlacheesesteak 02-27-2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broad st phantom
the offense had a circle jerk going on in the corner

:biglaugh:

Wow, thats the first time i ever heard cycling refered to as that! :sarcasm:

BobbyClarkeFan16 02-27-2006 04:20 PM

I can honestly say I'm disappointed, but not surprised either, by Hitch's comments in regards to Niittymaki and Esche. Hitch has been known to favour and go with veterans over first year players. With that being said, I think this is one time where going with a first year player isn't doing a disservice to the team. Niitty has proven he's been the better goalie so far. I'm willing to give Esche the benefit of the doubt and to see what a real healthy Esche can do. However, in the end, Hitch has the Olympic MVP and the Calder Cup winning goalie in his lineup. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hitch flip and go with Niittymaki the rest of the way. I'm wondering if Hitch said what he said though to see if it lights a fire under Niitty and see if it can take him to another level in terms of his play.....

GKJ 02-27-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippyime

Maybe he doesn't forget that Niitty has a silver medal and an Olympic MVP and Esche watched all but 1 game.

Maybe he doesn't forget that those 2 losses weren't his fault.

Maybe he doesn't forget that the team played as bad as they have ever been since he's been here during the other 5 losses, coming home from an 11-game road trip.

Maybe he doesn't forget.....Esche blows and he's trying to justify keeping him as a starter after his predicessor was ran out of town by a bunch of whiny children in the locker room, most of which are gone.

or maybe he's ready to answer the questions he will get if the Flyers go into the playoffs with Esche as the goalie and Niitty has better credentials and he's only a rookie.

John Flyers Fan 02-27-2006 04:29 PM

I think you'll see, that which ever goalie plays best over the last 30 games will start game one of the playoffs, which is exactly as it should be.

jb** 02-27-2006 04:51 PM

If Johnnson is done for an extended length of time they will be in trouble. He is one of their most stable players even though he has struggles at times. Their Defense is in disarray to say the least. I would also give Hatcher a game or 2 off as he ha splayed a lot and is coming off serious knee problems. Donít know how they can do that with Johnnson and Rathje out. Has their been any news on Rathje and what his status is at this time. Desjardin canít be counted on as his past injury problems as well. Having to play Meyer, Jones and picard at the same time is going to come up at bight this team in the behind, it is inevitable. Defense wins in the playoffs and that is the area they should concentrate on. When healthy you have Hatcher,Johnnson,Joni, Desjardin,Rathje as the top 5. Pick up 2 decent 2 man who will be an upgrade over the other guys playing at this time if you think you have a shot to win the cup. If jones and Meyer ar ein your top 6 come playoff time,unless for a game or so kiss this season good by. Some scoring wonít hurt as well. One thing that has gone under the radar is the fact the Kappanen is really really banged up and he could be a hit away form being out as well. He has stated that the injuries are serious and hindering his play. A lot of holes on a very banged up team.

GKJ 02-27-2006 05:58 PM

Hatcher has had almost 2 years since he came back from his knee injury. If it's not better now then it never will be (and probably wouldn't have passed his physcial when we signed him)

jb** 02-27-2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Hatcher has had almost 2 years since he came back from his knee injury. If it's not better now then it never will be (and probably wouldn't have passed his physcial when we signed him)

your missing what i am saying. he is older and playing a lot of games in a short period of time andf has been carrying the load. See,Desjardin, eric in past years how he was very tired come palyoff time

RJ8812 02-27-2006 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth

actually the highlight is that Therien wont be playing

YA!

mikedifr 02-27-2006 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWO
your missing what i am saying. he is older and playing a lot of games in a short period of time andf has been carrying the load. See,Desjardin, eric in past years how he was very tired come palyoff time

Hatcher has shown in the past that he can handle more ice time then Desjardins. I think is is due to his size and his body not taking much punishment. He is a positional dman and doesnt rely on his skating and get beat up like Desjardins does. Hatcher will be fine.

mikedifr 02-27-2006 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I think you'll see, that which ever goalie plays best over the last 30 games will start game one of the playoffs, which is exactly as it should be.

I agree 100%. Obviously at this point in the season Hitch is not going to commit to either goalie. If he commits to one, what does that do for the other's confidence?? As much as I love Nitty, he is still young. People underate what Esche did in the playoffs last season. We were one game away from the cup with a severely beaten up team and minus a few defenseman. I still belive that if Ragnarson is healthy, we play for the cup and maybe win! He has battled some injuries this year (since the Flyers trainers stink!!!) and should be healthy at this point. It is still his job to lose. Nitty will have his chance. The AHL and the Olympics are not the NHL plain and simple.

Antero Niittymaki 34 2014 2.95 18 10 6 .896 2 2 99 948 0 1 0
Robert Esche 26 1506 3.15 15 6 3 .892 2 0 79 730 0 2 4

This doesnt convince me that Nitty is that much better at this point.

Hitch has won a stanley cup. Give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he is doing. I am almost positive that if over the next 30 games Nitty is that much better then Esche, Nitty will be starting.

BobbyClarkeFan16 02-28-2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedifr
I agree 100%. Obviously at this point in the season Hitch is not going to commit to either goalie. If he commits to one, what does that do for the other's confidence?? As much as I love Nitty, he is still young. People underate what Esche did in the playoffs last season. We were one game away from the cup with a severely beaten up team and minus a few defenseman. I still belive that if Ragnarson is healthy, we play for the cup and maybe win! He has battled some injuries this year (since the Flyers trainers stink!!!) and should be healthy at this point. It is still his job to lose. Nitty will have his chance. The AHL and the Olympics are not the NHL plain and simple.

Antero Niittymaki 34 2014 2.95 18 10 6 .896 2 2 99 948 0 1 0
Robert Esche 26 1506 3.15 15 6 3 .892 2 0 79 730 0 2 4

This doesnt convince me that Nitty is that much better at this point.

Hitch has won a stanley cup. Give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he is doing. I am almost positive that if over the next 30 games Nitty is that much better then Esche, Nitty will be starting.

The only mistake I think Hitch has made is that he never designated either one of the goalies the number one guy. I can see a Roman Cechmanek/Brian Boucher type situation all over again in Philadelphia. I know Clarke said that the Olympics have only helped Niittymaki's confidence grow by leaps and bounds. If that's the case, you take advantage of that. Hitch talked about how Olympic hockey is different than NHL hockey, but they're still both the same game. Niitty can make the adjustments. I think if anything, this is a situation where Hitch is showing loyalty to the veteran over the first year player, a trait that might be commendable, but could cost us games because of that. It's time for Hitch to do the unthinkable in his world and designate one of the two the number one guy.

The other thing I'd like to see Hitch do is officially give his lines line designation as well. While it's a given that the Forsberg line is the top line, it's time for Hitch to say which line will be his number 2 line, which line will be his number 3 line and which line will be the shut down line. This flip flopping that he does between the three remaining lines is maddening. Just designate someone and stick through it, no matter how good or bad it is. Finally, I'd like to see Hitch do something different with that god awful penalty kill unit we have. It's pathetic at best and there's no way we can ever make a run for the Cup if our special teams aren't in the top 10. There's absolutely no way possible. It's time to forget about practicing 5 on 5 and just hammer away at special teams. We all know that everyone on the team is somewhat decent defensively, so we needn't worry about 5 on 5. Start fixing those atrocious special teams.