HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How much would adding Downie or Potulny effect the salary cap? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=225565)

steinie77 02-27-2006 08:15 PM

How much would adding Downie or Potulny effect the salary cap?

Just a thought. Many teams make late additions to their respective big clubs prior to the playoffs. Given the injury woes, Clarke could opt to salary dump a couple of forwards in deference to adding Downie and/or Potulny once their junior/college seasons are done, but prior to the playoffs. Just wondering if anyone out there would view these as valuable additions to the Flyers for the playoffs?

Flyersguru 02-27-2006 08:34 PM

won't happen, they would of to be signed to a contract by the flyers.

steinie77 02-27-2006 08:46 PM

I understand they would have to be signed, but it is not out of the realm of possibility given their lower impact to the cap, but their ability to play at a higher level now (Potulny). Given the lower impact would Clarke add his scoring punch at a lower price tag and attempt to dump someone for a pick by March 9?

Roger's Pancreas* 02-27-2006 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steinie77
I understand they would have to be signed, but it is not out of the realm of possibility given their lower impact to the cap, but their ability to play at a higher level now (Potulny). Given the lower impact would Clarke add his scoring punch at a lower price tag and attempt to dump someone for a pick by March 9?

You said impact too many times for me to even have a remote understanding of what you're trying to say. I'll give you my two cents anyways. You're not going to see Potulny or Downie in Orange and Black within the next two years, and that's a minimum. Potulny wants to finish out college and Downie still has alot of growing up to do.

With that said there is a huge transition between the NHL and juniors, there is simply no way they could contribute without being a liability. Rookies need that learning curve of the AHL and if you don't believe it then look at Joni. He had a solid rookie year but tailed off towards the end and inevitably became a liability in the playoffs. If that wasn't enough to frustrate an owner Pitkanen also received a concussion. During the layoff he spent a year in the AHL and came out of the system as a stud. Bottom line: Rushing things leave you looking like Mike Milbury.

Jester 02-27-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Just a thought. Many teams make late additions to their respective big clubs prior to the playoffs. Given the injury woes, Clarke could opt to salary dump a couple of forwards in deference to adding Downie and/or Potulny once their junior/college seasons are done, but prior to the playoffs. Just wondering if anyone out there would view these as valuable additions to the Flyers for the playoffs?

no.

John Flyers Fan 02-27-2006 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
You said impact too many times for me to even have a remote understanding of what you're trying to say. I'll give you my two cents anyways. You're not going to see Potulny or Downie in Orange and Black within the next two years, and that's a minimum. Potulny wants to finish out college and Downie still has alot of growing up to do.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Don't be shocked if Downie is a Flyer next year.

Dig Out Your Soul 02-28-2006 12:16 AM

Quote:

Downie's team, Peterborough, has an excellent chance of still playing when the Flyers are out. They are a favourite to win the OHL and advance to the Memorial Cup tournament. There isn't even a chance, as far as I'm concerned, that Downie will be finished before the Flyers' playoffs start.

Vikke 02-28-2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

I doubt it. He needs another junior season to polish his raw skills a bit.
I'm sure he'll play some pre-season games, though.

panayiotis 02-28-2006 05:39 AM

i agree

Quote:

The only thing stopping him is maturity. Some couch time with Doctor Phil...Seriously..The flyers are low on talent..He will have great shot at making orange and black. :teach:

Vikke 02-28-2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panayiotis
The only thing stopping him is maturity. Some couch time with Doctor Phil...Seriously..The flyers are low on talent..He will have great shot at making orange and black. :teach:

The problem is, he can't be sent down to the Phantoms if he's not good enough. And there's a cut-off date (or amount of NHL games played, can't remember) if he's gonna be sent back to the OHL.

iceman42 02-28-2006 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikke
The problem is, he can't be sent down to the Phantoms if he's not good enough. And there's a cut-off date (or amount of NHL games played, can't remember) if he's gonna be sent back to the OHL.

10 games in the old CBA, not sure if that is still the case.

Jester 02-28-2006 09:28 AM

Quote:

the flyers are "low" on talent?

Rolex 02-28-2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

I agree. It doesn't do Downie or the Flyers any good to see him losing time by getting suspended all of the time in the OHL. If he pulls some of the stuff that he has in the NHL, or AHL for that matter, he'll either be seen as a Baranby type of agitator or get his head handed to him on a platter by an opponent. At his age it will probably be the latter and he will learn from it.

Dig Out Your Soul 02-28-2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman42
10 games in the old CBA, not sure if that is still the case.

It still is 10 games.

panayiotis 03-02-2006 10:46 PM

Yup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
the flyers are "low" on talent?

They are a one line team. Carter and Richards have nobody to play with. :yo:

Jester 03-03-2006 01:00 AM

Quote:

They are a one line team. Carter and Richards have nobody to play with. :yo:

we shall see... an ideal world would have had Richards playing with Handzus. Carter will be good, but he still has some work to do to earn the minutes at even strength. he IS getting play on the PP and such.

BobbyClarkeFan16 03-03-2006 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
we shall see... an ideal world would have had Richards playing with Handzus. Carter will be good, but he still has some work to do to earn the minutes at even strength. he IS getting play on the PP and such.

Yeah, but the veterans haven't been exactly sparkling either. When you see that Handzus has only what, 8 or 9 goals on the year, Kapanen is hurt, Radivojevic is hurt, we only have three veteran forwards that have delivered....Gagne, Forsberg and Knuble. Maybe it's time that we give Carter and Richards top 2 line ice time and see how they really perform. I'd feel more comfortable with Carter losing a faceoff than Nedved. At least Carter tries.