HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   offers for Salo? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22575)

MrMackey 10-24-2003 05:17 PM

offers for Salo?

He has a team option for the next 2 years at $3.9M. Has great potential, but has fallen out of favor with many Oiler fans due to inconsistent play over the past two years.

Would there be any teams out there looking to acquire a guy like Tommy? Who would they offer?

pepchew 10-24-2003 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMackey
He has a team option for the next 2 years at $3.9M. Has great potential, but has fallen out of favor with many Oiler fans due to inconsistent play over the past two years.

Would there be any teams out there looking to acquire a guy like Tommy? Who would they offer?

turek

Oiler94 10-24-2003 08:42 PM

We'd probably need either a proven consistant starter (like , or a young goalie that can be a potential starter (like Markkanen), Personally, I wouldnt mind Legace either.

pei_bruins 10-25-2003 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiler94
We'd probably need either a proven consistant starter (like , or a young goalie that can be a potential starter (like Markkanen), Personally, I wouldnt mind Legace either.

I would take Legace in a second. He has never had a shot at being a #1 starter before and his record speaks for itself. It is a similar situation as Marty Turco was in in Dallas and he has faired out pretty well. I would say:

Comrie and Horcoff

for

Legace, Fischer, and a third rounder.

Then ship Salo out somewhere for a bag of pucks and a broken water bottle.

Comrie will be a consistent 30 - 40 goal scorer one day, but he sucks on defense right now. Teach him how to play D!!

Street Hawk 10-25-2003 08:18 AM

Not going to get any.

Salo has limited playoff success with the Oilers. Granted, playing Dallas each time, who have twice your payroll is tough, but the end result is still a 1st round loss.

He'll just play out this season and won't get his option picked up by Lowe and the Oilers. Oiler's top goalie prospect, Jeff Deslauries is still, after this season probably about 2 or 3 years away from playing in the NHL and would require a year or 2 to get experience before becoming the #1 guy. Best for the Oilers to go after a younger goalie via trade, like a Garon, Noronen/Biron.

Kritty 10-25-2003 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street Hawk
Salo has limited playoff success with the Oilers. Granted, playing Dallas each time, who have twice your payroll is tough, but the end result is still a 1st round loss.

He'll just play out this season and won't get his option picked up by Lowe and the Oilers. Oiler's top goalie prospect, Jeff Deslauries is still, after this season probably about 2 or 3 years away from playing in the NHL and would require a year or 2 to get experience before becoming the #1 guy. Best for the Oilers to go after a younger goalie via trade, like a Garon, Noronen/Biron.

Lowe has all kinds of faith in Salo as the starter. He actually has played that bad this year. The Oilers need some defence help before they need a goalie. No matter who's in net, they'll still struggle behind that defence. Just too weak at the moment.

As for letting him walk at the end of the season, can't see that happening. For one, Edmonton has no goalie that can take the starting job next year. Conklin isn't capable and Deslauriers isn't ready. Unless there is another goalie ready to step in, Salo will be an Oiler. I definitely can't see Lowe just letting him walk without getting something for him. Lowe is a crafty deal maker, he'll find something to do with the situation.

blitzkriegs 10-25-2003 09:45 AM

there is ZERO goalie market out there right now...several teams are carrying 3 NHL experienced goalies 'hoping' to trade one...however, until a big time goalie goes down with an injury, they all just wait and eat salary...

MrMackey 10-25-2003 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kritty
Lowe has all kinds of faith in Salo as the starter. He actually has played that bad this year. The Oilers need some defence help before they need a goalie. No matter who's in net, they'll still struggle behind that defence. Just too weak at the moment.

As for letting him walk at the end of the season, can't see that happening. For one, Edmonton has no goalie that can take the starting job next year. Conklin isn't capable and Deslauriers isn't ready. Unless there is another goalie ready to step in, Salo will be an Oiler. I definitely can't see Lowe just letting him walk without getting something for him. Lowe is a crafty deal maker, he'll find something to do with the situation.

Like blitzkreig said, there are plenty of goalies available right now. The question is not how can the Oilers survive without Salo, as I'm sure something can be figured out regardless of DesLaurier & Conklin's readiness... the question is who would be willing to offer something up for Salo.

MrMackey 10-25-2003 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiler94

I think there's lots of talent available elsewhere. If a team needs Salo, we probably don't want what they're looking to give us.

I'm just trying to gauge the interest and value in Salo across the league - not what the Oilers would want back in a trade, or whether or not the Oilers should trade him.

leaflover 10-25-2003 11:13 PM

Detroit is probably the least likely destination for a goaltender in the entire league.The market for goalies is light at best and the market for older struggling goalies is even weaker.The oilers best hope Salo gets his act together because in all liklihood they're stuck with him and his contract.

Flyman 10-26-2003 01:10 AM

Personnaly, I would love to have Tommy Salo in Philly. But in return, we cannot afford something fantastic. Hackett could be the odd man out if he struggles this season. Maybe with a young D-man (Seidenberg or Vandermeer), it could works...

Wingboy2999 10-26-2003 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pei_bruins
I would take Legace in a second. He has never had a shot at being a #1 starter before and his record speaks for itself. It is a similar situation as Marty Turco was in in Dallas and he has faired out pretty well. I would say:

Comrie and Horcoff

for

Legace, Fischer, and a third rounder.

Then ship Salo out somewhere for a bag of pucks and a broken water bottle.

Comrie will be a consistent 30 - 40 goal scorer one day, but he sucks on defense right now. Teach him how to play D!!

Comrie is good but that wouldn't work. CuJo would ride the bench and we couldn't get rid of him. And then we don't want to trade Fischer.

MrMackey 10-26-2003 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyman
Personnaly, I would love to have Tommy Salo in Philly. But in return, we cannot afford something fantastic. Hackett could be the odd man out if he struggles this season. Maybe with a young D-man (Seidenberg or Vandermeer), it could works...

I don't know much about Seidenberg... what type of defenseman is he?

The impression I get of Vandermeer is that he's a decent stay at home type, but likely not much more than a fourth-sixth type guy. Is that right or am I way off?

Steve L* 10-27-2003 04:00 AM

The Flyers will send you Therien if you promise never to send Salo to Philly. He makes Cechmanek look like a money goalie.