HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Finland (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Foreign Players in Sm-Liiga 03-04 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=22654)

jepjepjoo 10-25-2003 05:53 AM

Foreign Players in Sm-Liiga 03-04

I thought this list I made might intrest some of you...

Czech Republic

Jan Caloun, Blues
Ladislav Kohn, Blues
Ladislav Benysek, HIFK
Roman Vopat, HIFK
Tomas Kucharcik, HPK
Vladimir Sicak, HPK
Martin Hlavacka, Ilves
Marek Vorel, Ilves
Radim Kucharczyk, Ilves
Martin Stepanek, Kärpät
Petr Tenkrat, Kärpät
Martin Cech, Pelicans
Radek Philipp, Blues
Vladimir Machulda, Kärpät
Petr Sachl, Saipa
Jiri Vykoukal, TPS

Vladimir Vujtek, HPK* (30GP 9G 16A 25P)
Martin Spanhel, HIFK* (36GP 2G 11A 13P)

Canada

Drew Bannister, Blues
Dave Stathos, HIFK
Rob Tallas, HPK (Heart problems)
Cory Murphy, Ilves
Glen Metropolit, Jokerit
Todd Warriner, Jokerit
Alexandre Tremblay, JYP
Pierre-Claude Drouin, JYP
Brad Smyth, Kärpät
Joe Murphy, Lukko
Quinn Hancock, Lukko
Daniel Tkaczuk, Lukko
Jeff Ulmer, Lukko
Shayne Toporowski, Ilves
Mike Lephart, Blues
Dale Clarke, Tappara
Martin Bergeron, Ässät
Scott Langkow, Ässät

Bruce Gardiner, Blues* (22GP 6G 5A 11P)
Kevin Hodson, Jokerit* (3 games 5GAA, but didnt convince)
Rod Sarich, Blues* (20GP 0G 1A 1P)
Jason Dawe, Kärpät* (15GP 0G 1A 1P 8PIM)
Harlan Pratt, TPS* (3GP 0G 0A 0P -tryout-)
Matthieu Descoteaux, Tappara* (6GP 0G 0A 0P)
Dylan Gyori, Tappara* (8GP 0G 1A 1P)

USA

Brett Harkins, HIFK
Brett Lievers, Kärpät
David Schneider, TPS
Steve Shirreffs, Ässät

Sweden

Anders Burström, Jokerit
Daniel Widing, Pelicans
Stefan Öhman, Tappara

Thomas Sjögren, Jokerit* (20GP 1G 2A 3P)

Austria

Oliver Setzinger, HPK (Pelicans->Kalpa(Mestis)->HPK)

Estonia

Lauri Lahesalu, Kärpät

Russia

Alexander Barkov, Tappara

Latvia

Oleg Sorokin, Ässät
Vjatsheslav Fandul, Ässät

Leonid Tambijevs, Tappara* (12GP 4G 5A 9P)

Slovakia

Lubomir Hurtaj, HIFK

*No longer on roster

Spiffy 10-25-2003 06:22 AM

four swedes! Why that many??? The SEL only has more than 35 finns :D

Edit: replaced 40 with 35.

Jamina 10-26-2003 03:10 AM

Foreign players' statistics

Jeff 10-26-2003 10:31 PM

Lack of swedish players in Sm-liiga is becouse in SM-liiga swedes are considered as foreign players and in Elitserien finns are not considered as foreign players, so that's why there are so many finns in elitserien. Quite a shame in my oppinion, but on the otherhand it gives finland an advantage to produce good players in the future also becouse young guys get more easily a chance in sm-liiga and in elitserien quite often a pretty old finn will take the place from young swedish player. So this is elitseriens and swedens loss in a long run.

Spiffy 10-26-2003 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff
Lack of swedish players in Sm-liiga is becouse in SM-liiga swedes are considered as foreign players and in Elitserien finns are not considered as foreign players, so that's why there are so many finns in elitserien. Quite a shame in my oppinion, but on the otherhand it gives finland an advantage to produce good players in the future also becouse young guys get more easily a chance in sm-liiga and in elitserien quite often a pretty old finn will take the place from young swedish player. So this is elitseriens and swedens loss in a long run.

Swedish teams usually transfer for a Finn because they don't have to play the bonus fees for national team games played and so on as they have to when they transfer for a swede from within elitserien. It is cheaper to get a Finn than it is to get a swede.

jepjepjoo 10-28-2003 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffy
Swedish teams usually transfer for a Finn because they don't have to play the bonus fees for national team games played and so on as they have to when they transfer for a swede from within elitserien. It is cheaper to get a Finn than it is to get a swede.

Yea but the fact that finnish player isnt considered a foreigner is a big factor

Kronblom 10-28-2003 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jepjepjoo
Yea but the fact that finnish player isnt considered a foreigner is a big factor

Huh? Only in Finland I guess... :dunno: It´s a different story with danes and norweigans though since you actually understand what they are saying.

The transferfees is the only factor, and that´s the reason why Anders Burström plays in Finland instead of Sweden. Absolutely no team in Elitserien was interested of paying the fees for him when he left Luleå.

Spiffy 10-28-2003 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronblom
Huh? Only in Finland I guess... :dunno: It´s a different story with danes and norweigans though since you actually understand what they are saying.

The transferfees is the only factor, and that´s the reason why Anders Burström plays in Finland instead of Sweden. Absolutely no team in Elitserien was interested of paying the fees for him when he left Luleå.

That's what I thought too. I've never heard of finns not being considered foreigners before...

jj_fin 10-28-2003 10:14 AM

I think that he's trying to say that a Finn doesn't count as a NON-EU player in Sweden. In Finland teams are allowed to have 5 foreigners in their roster (well, teams can have 15 foreigners in their roster, but only 5 are allowed to play at the same time) no matter what if the player is from Latvia, Sweden, or Canada.

If I've understood right, in Sweden teams are allowed to have a certain number of non-EU players, but there aren't restrictions to the players who are from countries that belong to the EU. (ie. Malmö could be full of Danish players, but TPS can only have five Danes).

My english isn't very good, but I hope that you got the point.

GKJ 10-28-2003 11:26 AM

Joe Murphy.

Ha.

After his fiasco in Boston he never got a call from anyone here in North America.

jepjepjoo 10-28-2003 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj_fin
I think that he's trying to say that a Finn doesn't count as a NON-EU player in Sweden. In Finland teams are allowed to have 5 foreigners in their roster (well, teams can have 15 foreigners in their roster, but only 5 are allowed to play at the same time) no matter what if the player is from Latvia, Sweden, or Canada.

If I've understood right, in Sweden teams are allowed to have a certain number of non-EU players, but there aren't restrictions to the players who are from countries that belong to the EU. (ie. Malmö could be full of Danish players, but TPS can only have five Danes).

My english isn't very good, but I hope that you got the point.

Thats exactly what i meant :)

jepjepjoo 11-11-2003 12:19 PM

3 new players

3 players included

Drew Bannister, Blues (Canada)
Daniel Tkaczuk, Lukko (Canada)
Jeff Ulmer, Lukko (Canada)

jj_fin 11-13-2003 06:13 AM

You might want to add Petr Tenkrat (Kärpät) to that list.

Ulmer and Tk...etc. have a try-out contract.

Jussi 11-13-2003 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Joe Murphy.

Ha.

After his fiasco in Boston he never got a call from anyone here in North America.

Different Joe Murphy here. This ones younger and a righty.

jepjepjoo 11-13-2003 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi
Different Joe Murphy here. This ones younger and a righty.

Added
Petr Tenkrat, Kärpät

cagney 11-13-2003 11:32 PM

This is quite an interesting thread. I know most people over here (North America) don't really care what happens to guys who wash out of the NHL but I find it interesting seeing how they adjust to these other leagues and what kind of impact they end up having. When you see guys like Todd Warriner and Dan Tkaczuk who were top draft picks it makes you wonder if they can showcase thier talent a little more. It's also interesting to note that some guys who were top AHL'ers like Brad Smyth and Jason Dawe don't seem to be making any impact at all over there.

Can anyone whose seen these guys play explain how thier games have adapted (or not adapted) to the league? Thanks.

jepjepjoo 11-14-2003 02:51 AM

new player

Leonid Tambijevs, Tappara (Latvia)

Riddarn 11-14-2003 08:24 PM

How is Widing doing?

jepjepjoo 11-16-2003 02:02 AM

Kärpät is looking for a new for Jason Dawe...

Petr Tenkrat made a 3 year deal with Kärpät

Leonid Tambijevs got a great start as he made 2 goals in his 1st match

Daniel Widing has 1+4=5

tmoh 11-16-2003 12:04 PM

An unconfirmed report says that Matthieu Descoteaux has returned to North America after not getting a try-out chance with the German DEL team Frankfurt Lions, where he supposedly went after being released by two different Finnish teams, Tappara Tampere and Sport Vaasa.

jepjepjoo 11-21-2003 03:01 AM

Thomas Sjögren,Sweden was released by Jokerit

Rod Sarich, Canada was released by Blues

Korkki 11-21-2003 04:34 PM

Oleg Sorokins (Ässät & Latvia) is out of the season due to the fracture in his leg

jepjepjoo 11-30-2003 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korkki
Oleg Sorokins (Ässät & Latvia) is out of the season due to the fracture in his leg

-Sorokins is expected to play in 4 weeks

-Kevin Hodson released by Jokerit

Jamina 12-03-2003 02:46 AM

Kärpät released Jason Lowe. Lowe goes back to USA.

Padawan 12-03-2003 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamina
Kärpät released Jason Lowe. Lowe goes back to USA.

Jason Dawe is the correct name. Dawe will be returning to NA.